Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just Back
Users Browsing Forum
AdSense and 343 Guests

Just Back

This thread currently has 19,854 views. Print
16 Pages Prev ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 Next All Recommend Thread
pen penfras
December 13, 2021, 6:34pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.66
Rep Score: +8 / -9
Approval: -127
Gold Stars: 71
Quoted from TownSNAFU5
To clarify, again today:

I said that when judging Hurst’s win record, many games were at a higher level.  He was considered good enough to be a manager at this higher level.  To say that he has better players to work with is absurd. By that bizarre logic Pep and others have it easy.

At Shrewsbury it is a fact that they were bottom when he was appointed.  He kept them up, out of the bottom 4.  Within 18 months they were top of Div 1.  This is also a fact,  Ipswich wanted him and he left.  To a Championship club.

To ignore the great achievement at Shrewsbury, citing he did a Slade, is infantile and shows a clear subjective bias against the facts. Try and find other more relevant things to criticise Hurst with.

Did a really good job and everybody knew he was going before the season ended. Sounds exactly like Slade.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 110 - 153
arryarryarry
December 13, 2021, 7:15pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,041
Gold Stars: 116
Quoted from chaos33

I mean, inferring this poster is Paul Hurst makes you look daft in all honesty.

Oh sorry, didn't know you were the forum police.

Private Message
Reply: 111 - 153
arryarryarry
December 13, 2021, 7:28pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from TownSNAFU5
To clarify, again today:

I said that when judging Hurst’s win record, many games were at a higher level.  He was considered good enough to be a manager at this higher level.  To say that he has better players to work with is absurd. By that bizarre logic Pep and others have it easy.

At Shrewsbury it is a fact that they were bottom when he was appointed.  He kept them up, out of the bottom 4.  Within 18 months they were top of Div 1.  This is also a fact,  Ipswich wanted him and he left.  To a Championship club.

To ignore the great achievement at Shrewsbury, citing he did a Slade, is infantile and shows a clear subjective bias against the facts. Try and find other more relevant things to criticise Hurst with.

He did a a good job and Shrewsbury, I haven't said he didn't, just mentioning that many of their fans were drunk off because it was suggested he had lined up the Ipswich job before the play-off final just as it was suggested Slade did to us.

As regards managing at a higher level, you casually forget to mention his time at Ipswich where he was a flipping disaster and   he is widely hated by their fans blaming him for their relagation.

Going back to Shrewsbury, you mention they were bottom and kept them up, again casually forgetting he came here when we weren't in the bottom 2 and he took us to bottom and relegation.
Private Message
Reply: 112 - 153
chaos33
December 13, 2021, 7:49pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,929
Gold Stars: 360
Quoted from arryarryarry

Oh sorry, didn't know you were the forum police.

And that makes you look childish. Not a good look is it. How old are you?

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 113 - 153
ginnywings
December 13, 2021, 7:50pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,122
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from arryarryarry

He did a a good job and Shrewsbury, I haven't said he didn't, just mentioning that many of their fans were drunk off because it was suggested he had lined up the Ipswich job before the play-off final just as it was suggested Slade did to us.

As regards managing at a higher level, you casually forget to mention his time at Ipswich where he was a flipping disaster and   he is widely hated by their fans blaming him for their relagation.

Going back to Shrewsbury, you mention they were bottom and kept them up, again casually forgetting he came here when we weren't in the bottom 2 and he took us to bottom and relegation.

You are one miserable fooker. I don't know why you bother supporting Town, as you never have a good thing to say about them.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 114 - 153
Knut Anders Fosters Voles
December 13, 2021, 8:02pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.86
Rep Score: +24 / -1
Approval: +8,824
Gold Stars: 553
Quoted from arryarryarry

You’re certainly building a reputation for a lack of knowledge and research in your posts.

This has been discussed many times on here:

Ipswich:
Hurst’s win percentage was 7% and he lasted 15 matches. That’s not good to say the least.

However, look at the season before Hurst was appointed. Mick McCarthy had been performing miracles at Ipswich on a shoestring budget but even McCarthy (& Klug) only won 2 out of their final 11 matches at the end of 2017-18. One third of Ipswich’s points that season came in the opening nine games.

Hurst was appointed for the 2018-19 season and to cut costs, the board sanctioned the sale of most of Ipswich’s best players (including Joe Garner, Adam Webster, David McGoldrick and Martyn Waghorn). That’s about 45 goals that Hurst was supposed to replace on a small budget. Hurst had no chance.

Paul Lambert was appointed in Oct 2018 and despite having most of the season to turn things around, Ipswich ended up finishing 13 points adrift (and bottom) and were relegated.

Last time I looked, Ipswich were still in L1 and closer to relegation than promotion, after sacking another good manager (Paul Cook).

Some Ipswich fans will bear a grudge but it’s clear that their current predicament and state of their finances isn’t solely down to Paul Hurst’s 15 match spell.

Shrewsbury:
Performed a miracle to save them from relegation and almost followed it up with promotion the following season.

Scunthorpe:
Basket case of a club

Grimsby Town (Fenty):
Basket case of a club.

Hurst will get us promoted eventually but it depends on how patient Stockwood and Pettit are.

Isn’t it only four teams since 2000 who have been promoted from Tier 5 after being relegated the previous year. It took Luton five seasons and Wrexham are still down here.

As I keep saying, if there is a manager out there who can guarantee us promotion this season, then fine. But I doubt there is.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 115 - 153
chaos33
December 13, 2021, 9:10pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,929
Gold Stars: 360
Quoted from ginnywings

You are one miserable fooker. I don't know why you bother supporting Town, as you never have a good thing to say about them.

This. I mean, there are some regular posters on here who are (I presume in this case) maybe 40/50/60 years old and who have been following Town for years, and yet they post a load of reactionary, ill considered, imbalanced cobblers and make themselves look utterly stupid.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 116 - 153
MuddyWaters
December 13, 2021, 9:30pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,233
Gold Stars: 235
Quoted from ginnywings

Because, of course, everything in the garden is rosy.
Private Message
Reply: 117 - 153
DB
December 13, 2021, 9:55pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.49
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,000
Gold Stars: 386
Quoted from chaos33

This. I mean, there are some regular posters on here who are (I presume in this case) maybe 40/50/60 years old and who have been following Town for years, and yet they post a load of reactionary, ill considered, imbalanced cobblers and make themselves look utterly stupid.

Thankfully it doesn't apply to 70 year olds.  

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 118 - 153
arryarryarry
December 13, 2021, 9:56pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from ginnywings

"them" what the intercourse are you on about?

I'm commenting about Paul Hurst. As I have commented on many previous managers, Slade, Newell, Holloway for example.
Private Message
Reply: 119 - 153
16 Pages Prev ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just Back

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.