16 Pages Prev ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 Next All Recommend Thread
pen penfras
December 14, 2021, 8:46am

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.67
Rep Score: +8 / -9
Approval: -127
Gold Stars: 71

Ok TRIPLE CAPS LOCK, you now have the floor…

1. Who would you replace Hurst with?
2. If you can’t answer point 1, at least tell us what style of manager you want?
3. How many matches / minutes would you give the new manager before you start moaning about them too?
4. Which new striker would you sign?

It's a stupid argument to say who would you want. We're fans, not running football clubs. It's not for us to know who is out there and what they bring.

What is certainly obvious is that losing the amount of games we are is not good enough and something has to change. The manager is ultimately responsible and if money is available and we're in December still missing a "number 9", then he is squarely to blame.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 130 - 153
Knut Anders Fosters Voles
December 14, 2021, 9:50am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.86
Rep Score: +24 / -1
Approval: +8,824
Gold Stars: 553
Quoted from pen penfras

It's a stupid argument to say who would you want. We're fans, not running football clubs. It's not for us to know who is out there and what they bring.

What is certainly obvious is that losing the amount of games we are is not good enough and something has to change. The manager is ultimately responsible and if money is available and we're in December still missing a "number 9", then he is squarely to blame.

As a Grimsby fan, I can see clearly that we are missing a no.9.

As a football fan, I can see clearly that there is a shortage of no.9s in every division in the country.

It’s too simplistic to say that Hurst is squarely to blame when a lot of other clubs are in the same position.

Most teams only play with one out-and-out striker. It’s difficult to find a forward who can score enough goals to stop the fans from moaning, whilst still having enough another attributes to their game. You won’t get promoted with a Ross Hannah type leading the line.

The advantage Tshimanga has is that he can run the channels, he can press and he can obviously score goals.

Look at our last season down in the fifth tier. Amond was top scorer but such was the quality of strikers back then, Omar Bogle had a great season and was still only 17th on the top scorers list at the end. The depth was incredible; Holman, Amond, Danny Wright, Ricky Miller, Payne, Andy Cook, Rhead, Norwood, Constable, Parkin.

It’s clear that Tshimanga is the standout striker this season. After that you have Cheek (scores goals but his all round game is limited and would he even come here?) and little else.

Look at the NLN:
[url]https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/national-league-north/top-scorers[/url]

Look at NLS:
[url]https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/national-league-south/top-scorers[/url]

There’s little to get excited about on either of those top scorer lists. Most of them have failed in the fifth tier previously and aren’t exactly ripping it up in tier 6.

Even if someone established does become available, Wrexham will probably blow us out of the water. That’s not Paul Hurst’s fault.

One of the reasons we started the season so well was because of the number of goals the rest of the team and squad were contributing. This is the real problem and is due to better opposition, injuries, suspensions, lack of form, confidence and possibly tactics.

So before people post on here, blaming Hurst solely for the lack of no.9, maybe they should research the market.

If there are no PS5s available at Christmas due to a chip shortage, it would be a bit unfair to blame Dad for the lack of present, when the alternative is a washed up, stale bit of Rudolph’s carrot. I’d rather wait for the PS6 in January in the hope that Hurst / Dad can source one with us contacts in t’industry.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 131 - 153
jamesgtfc
December 14, 2021, 11:02am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +12,955
Gold Stars: 190
Also look at how we set up on Saturday. It wasn't designed for Taylor to get chances, the onus was on the midfielders to run beyond and get on the end of them.

If Clifton didn't have a head like a Sherriffs badge it's a completely different game.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 132 - 153
chaos33
December 14, 2021, 11:47am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,929
Gold Stars: 357

As a football fan, I can see clearly that there is a shortage of no.9s in every division in the country.

It’s too simplistic to say that Hurst is squarely to blame when a lot of other clubs are in the same position.

Most teams only play with one out-and-out striker. It’s difficult to find a forward who can score enough goals to stop the fans from moaning, whilst still having enough another attributes to their game. You won’t get promoted with a Ross Hannah type leading the line.

The advantage Tshimanga has is that he can run the channels, he can press and he can obviously score goals.

Look at our last season down in the fifth tier. Amond was top scorer but such was the quality of strikers back then, Omar Bogle had a great season and was still only 17th on the top scorers list at the end. The depth was incredible; Holman, Amond, Danny Wright, Ricky Miller, Payne, Andy Cook, Rhead, Norwood, Constable, Parkin.

It’s clear that Tshimanga is the standout striker this season. After that you have Cheek (scores goals but his all round game is limited and would he even come here?) and little else.

Look at the NLN:
[url]https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/national-league-north/top-scorers[/url]

Look at NLS:
[url]https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/national-league-south/top-scorers[/url]

There’s little to get excited about on either of those top scorer lists. Most of them have failed in the fifth tier previously and aren’t exactly ripping it up in tier 6.

Even if someone established does become available, Wrexham will probably blow us out of the water. That’s not Paul Hurst’s fault.

One of the reasons we started the season so well was because of the number of goals the rest of the team and squad were contributing. This is the real problem and is due to better opposition, injuries, suspensions, lack of form, confidence and possibly tactics.

So before people post on here, blaming Hurst solely for the lack of no.9, maybe they should research the market.

If there are no PS5s available at Christmas due to a chip shortage, it would be a bit unfair to blame Dad for the lack of present, when the alternative is a washed up, stale bit of Rudolph’s carrot. I’d rather wait for the PS6 in January in the hope that Hurst / Dad can source one with us contacts in t’industry.

Great post. I would also add that Sam Bell looks very impressive thus far and will perhaps get goals. Looks like a really shrewd acquisition to me but time will allow us to evaluate that. As you rightly said, our early season success was a product of goals coming from all sorts of sources throughout the team, and that’s always a preferable and healthy feature of clubs looking to get promoted. Let’s just see how Chesterfield do when their striker is injured. Too many can’t stop themselves rushing to judge or criticise and, considering the context you outlined in your post, that’s both unrealistic and unnecessarily negative.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 133 - 153
BobbyCummingsTackle
December 14, 2021, 1:08pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.54
Rep Score: +8 / -4
Location: Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right, stuck in the middle...
Approval: +7,267
Gold Stars: 295
Quoted from jamesgtfc
Also look at how we set up on Saturday. It wasn't designed for Taylor to get chances, the onus was on the midfielders to run beyond and get on the end of them.

If Clifton didn't have a head like a Sherriffs badge it's a completely different game.

Rusty?

Miss Scunthorpe. Not a beauty pageant, just sound advice.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 134 - 153
pen penfras
December 14, 2021, 4:12pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.67
Rep Score: +8 / -9
Approval: -127
Gold Stars: 71

Look at the NLN:

Look at NLS:

Absolute load of shite. Hurst has had loads of time to sign somebody and there's not a nationwide shortage. I'd take the vast majority of those on that list over Essel and LJL on current form and I've been a huge LJL fan over the years. We came into the season ill prepared and it's either not enough money or Hurst's stubbornness to only sign the 'perfect' player that means we're short on quality up front.

Hurst had that cheesy grin all pre season talking about how great things were behind the scenes. So who else do we blame for this terrible form? If we were 8th with stuttering form it wouldn't be good enough. It's certainly not when the start we had is taken into consideration
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 135 - 153
chaos33
December 14, 2021, 4:44pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from pen penfras

Absolute load of shite. Hurst has had loads of time to sign somebody and there's not a nationwide shortage. I'd take the vast majority of those on that list over Essel and LJL on current form and I've been a huge LJL fan over the years. We came into the season ill prepared and it's either not enough money or Hurst's stubbornness to only sign the 'perfect' player that means we're short on quality up front.

Hurst had that cheesy grin all pre season talking about how great things were behind the scenes. So who else do we blame for this terrible form? If we were 8th with stuttering form it wouldn't be good enough. It's certainly not when the start we had is taken into consideration

Settle down with your aggressive and angry dismissiveness and lazy assumptions and get some perspective. We’ve just signed an attacking wide player. We’ve signed Bell. He’s scored a goal and looked very impressive in the other. That’s 1 goal in not even two full games. Why don’t we see how that pans out eh? If he achieves that ratio for the rest of the season you’re going to have to eat those words. I’m assuming you have no real insight into what goes on behind the scenes, so without that, and any visible sense of composure and balance evident in what you’re posting I’d say (avoiding saying something as crass and rude as ‘absolute load of sh1t), your contribution is of limited value. It’s not as if the signing or lack thereof a striker is the be all and end all anyway FFS.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 136 - 153
BobbyCummingsTackle
December 14, 2021, 4:47pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.54
Rep Score: +8 / -4
Location: Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right, stuck in the middle...
Approval: +7,267
Gold Stars: 295
Quoted from chaos33

Settle down with your aggressive and angry dismissiveness and lazy assumptions and get some perspective. We’ve just signed an attacking wide player. We’ve signed Bell. He’s scored a goal and looked very impressive in the other. That’s 1 goal in not even two full games. Why don’t we see how that pans out eh? If he achieves that ratio for the rest of the season you’re going to have to eat those words. I’m assuming you have no real insight into what goes on behind the scenes, so without that, and any visible sense of composure and balance evident in what you’re posting I’d say (avoiding saying something as crass and rude as ‘absolute load of sh1t), your contribution is of limited value. It’s not as if the signing or lack thereof a striker is the be all and end all anyway FFS.

*buys popcorn and settles in for the entertainment.....*

Miss Scunthorpe. Not a beauty pageant, just sound advice.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 137 - 153
MuddyWaters
December 14, 2021, 4:48pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,233
Gold Stars: 235
Quoted from chaos33

He’s had two starts (didn’t score in either) and scored in his sub appearance, just for the record.
Private Message
Reply: 138 - 153
chaos33
December 14, 2021, 5:18pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Good though yeah?

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 139 - 153
16 Pages Prev ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just Back

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.