December 14, 2021, 5:31pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +31,883
Gold Stars: 230
Quoted from chaos33
Good though yeah?

Impressive work rate. Would like to have seen him playing closer to Taylor but we didn’t have enough of the ball so he was spending a lot of energy chasing lost causes.
Private Message
Reply: 140 - 153
Knut Anders Fosters Voles
December 14, 2021, 6:01pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.89
Rep Score: +24 / -1
Approval: +8,784
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from pen penfras

Absolute load of shite. Hurst has had loads of time to sign somebody and there's not a nationwide shortage. I'd take the vast majority of those on that list over Essel and LJL on current form and I've been a huge LJL fan over the years. We came into the season ill prepared and it's either not enough money or Hurst's stubbornness to only sign the 'perfect' player that means we're short on quality up front.

Remember that LJL had similar scoring records to those NLN/NLS players when he was at Hereford.

Even if I accept your point that some of the players on those lists would be suitable, it’s still a pretty poor selection. I don’t understand your point there isn’t a shortage of good strikers available.

What’s the point in signing rubbish?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 141 - 153
Northbank Mariner
December 14, 2021, 6:03pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.76
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: +7,391
Gold Stars: 170

Remember that LJL had similar scoring records to those NLN/NLS players when he was at Hereford.

Even if I accept your point that some of the players on those lists would be suitable, it’s still a pretty poor selection. I don’t understand your point there isn’t a shortage of good strikers available.

We signed 2 strikers from lower leagues with good records. Put 1 on a 3 year deal and the other on 2 years.....I rest my case there..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 142 - 153
pen penfras
December 14, 2021, 6:09pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.67
Rep Score: +8 / -9
Approval: -137
Gold Stars: 71

Padraig Amond wasn't a good striker when we signed him. There's loads of players out there that are capable but not performing and just need to find the right club, manager, style to make it click. One thing's for certain, by not signing anybody for a position that we were obviously short in, we've made it difficult for ourselves.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 143 - 153
December 14, 2021, 6:32pm
Brandy Drinker
Quoted from Northbank Mariner

We signed 2 strikers from lower leagues with good records. Put 1 on a 3 year deal and the other on 2 years.....I rest my case there..

Yes but Bogle and Hearn were on the up-curve in a similar way to Tshimanga. Most of those NLN/NLS players are either midfielders or have really poor scoring records in the NL and/or are in their late twenties.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 144 - 153
December 14, 2021, 6:36pm
Brandy Drinker
Quoted from pen penfras

Padraig Amond wasn't a good striker when we signed him. There's loads of players out there that are capable but not performing and just need to find the right club, manager, style to make it click. One thing's for certain, by not signing anybody for a position that we were obviously short in, we've made it difficult for ourselves.

Alan Connell too.

I agree with you that Hurst is as stubborn as a post vindaloo skid mark stain but he will be well aware we desperately need a striker.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 145 - 153
Northbank Mariner
December 14, 2021, 6:54pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.76
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: +7,391
Gold Stars: 170

Alan Connell too.

I agree with you that Hurst is as stubborn as a post vindaloo skid mark stain but he will be well aware we desperately need a striker.

And there in lies the debate, do we trust Hurst to sign the right player or do we play football manager and risk signing someone who once scored a hatful for Shitville Utd?...
I'm going for the latter, for as much as don't like Hursts tactics of late, one thing I do trust is his opinion of players
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 146 - 153
Maringer
December 14, 2021, 8:02pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.86
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,140
Gold Stars: 180
It's perhaps not too surprising that there aren't too many young up and coming strikers really hitting form in the 6th tier. They've hardly played over the past couple of seasons, have they? Difficult for part-timers to keep up their fitness and develop when they can't train properly, matches are disrupted by Covid infections and lockdowns.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 147 - 153
chaos33
December 14, 2021, 8:59pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,786
Gold Stars: 349
Let’s give Bell some time and not rush to judgement. We have good (albeit out of confidence/form) players all over the park who can score and create goals. Bell looks sharp, quick, great touch, quick feet, can finish, works hard…..he could be a real find. Folk diving in and getting on the back of all those at the club giving their all are not being fair in my opinion. Only thing I won’t tolerate is a lack of effort/commitment and an obvious below par ability level. I think we have a great squad and manager. Fenty has gone (gotta get over that PenPenfras), and the new owners are invested and investing, the infrastructure is great, money is available, the fans are ace….it’ll come good. Everyone agrees that the current sequence of results is unacceptable and disappointing/infuriating but it can change in a moment.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 148 - 153
quebec38
December 14, 2021, 9:20pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +6 / -1
Approval: +1,549
Gold Stars: 44
I don’t think Taylor or Bell were the problem on Saturday and thought both were ok at everything. We didn’t give either a single chance although Bell tried making a couple for himself.

We could have had Thsimanga upfront and we still wouldn’t have scored because we created nothing.
Private Message
Reply: 149 - 153
16 Pages Prev ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just Back

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.