KingstonMariner
December 16, 2021, 10:39pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.07
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from RobDef1

Or mutates to a variant that is less deadly and less dangerous, as seen with omicron. The thing about trawling data, is that it stacks up a lot better against emotive posts like yours that are full of speculation and fear mongering, yet lacking in data. Strange that.

And my point isn't against 'using' a vaccine. My point is firmly against 'forcing' a vaccine on people who want to live normally and freely. As said many many times on this thread, the vaccine seems effective for those at risk in reducing their symptoms and giving them a fighting chance against covid. However, as a relatively healthy 29 year old at extremely low risk of dying of covid the vaccine is not only pretty pointless it becomes foolish when it has its own string of risks attached to it, as shown in the data above.

Millions of people choose to have the flu jab every year, brilliant, all for it. But millions of people also choose not to, they aren't then forced to live a substandard life because of that choice nor are they asked to explain themselves against a mounting face of prejudice and intolerance.

What you don’t seem to understand is that it’s a numbers game. Bigger than previous numbers of infected, growing at a faster rate, even if less deadly (ignoring the fact the vaccine acted are less likely to be seriously affected if infected) means more I’ll and seriously ill people.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 180 - 193
KingstonMariner
December 16, 2021, 10:41pm
Meths Drinker
Quoted from RobDef1

Except I'm not saying 'stuff the rest' am I? I'm saying if you're at risk, either by means of data or personal opinion, then get the vaccine, it can protect you. But don't force it upon me when it can put me at risk.

Do you want to buy these magic beans?

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 181 - 193
KingstonMariner
December 16, 2021, 10:43pm
Meths Drinker

You Sir, are an absolute idiot, I feel embarrassed to support the same club as you. Are you a member of Sage?

Oh the irony.

And for your benefit I’m not talking about putting creases in your trousers.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 182 - 193
Maringer
December 16, 2021, 10:58pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,506
Gold Stars: 185
If Omicron is one quarter as dangerous as Delta in terms of serious illness (which would be a massive bonus), with a doubling rate of just 2 to 3 days, that's less than a week of spread before you surpass the number of cases which will require hospitalisation. Delta gradually became dominant over the course of a few months. Omicron is so infectious, it is going to become dominant over the course of a few weeks. And they will be coming in a short period so the healthcare system will be completely swamped with large numbers of staff absent through illness.

It's depressing thinking about it all, truth be told.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 183 - 193
Poojah
December 16, 2021, 11:07pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,533
Gold Stars: 1,500
Quoted from KingstonMariner

What you don’t seem to understand is that it’s a numbers game. Bigger than previous numbers of infected, growing at a faster rate, even if less deadly (ignoring the fact the vaccine acted are less likely to be seriously affected if infected) means more I’ll and seriously ill people.

Not to fundamentally disagree with your point, because I’m not disputing that Omicron poses a threat, I do think it’s important to be balanced on the scale of what’s ahead.

Early data out of South Africa suggests that both the rate of serious illness and lethality is meaningfully lower than previous variants, and now even Chris Whitty is chiming in with quotes which loosely amount to optimism:

https://12ft.io/proxy?q=https%.....says-chris-whitty%2F

I realise there’s a fine line to tread between instilling complacency and embedding fear into the nation (with the disastrous economic effects that has), but if you sift a little deeper than the main headlines there are plenty of emerging signs that we are not confronting armegoddon here.

We’ll know a lot more literally in days, but I think it’s important to note that the party line delivered at press conferences is strategically leaned towards a pessimistic outcome. The reality, I honestly believe, will be a lot, lot better than the worst case scenario. Still tough by the way, but not as rough as we’ve seen previously, and maybe, just maybe, it might leave us with an exit plan.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 184 - 193
louth_in_the_south
December 16, 2021, 11:30pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +25 / -12
Approval: +5,683
Gold Stars: 96
I think some posters will be seriously disappointed when their predictions of omnicrom doom don’t come true .

Lower F5
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 185 - 193
Maringer
December 16, 2021, 11:43pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,506
Gold Stars: 185
Quoted from louth_in_the_south
I think some posters will be seriously disappointed when their predictions of omnicrom doom don’t come true .

Omicron.

What an unpleasant thing to say. Actually, it's not unpleasant. It's cretinous.

I'll be delighted if things don't get as bad as seems likely. Let's hope all the scientists and public health bodies are terribly wrong, though the odds are against it.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 186 - 193
louth_in_the_south
December 17, 2021, 5:53am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +25 / -12
Approval: +5,683
Gold Stars: 96
Quoted from Maringer

Omicron.

What an unpleasant thing to say. Actually, it's not unpleasant. It's cretinous.

I'll be delighted if things don't get as bad as seems likely. Let's hope all the scientists and public health bodies are terribly wrong, though the odds are against it.

Sorry Omicron , aka The Sniffles .

Lower F5
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 187 - 193
golfer
December 17, 2021, 8:37am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.30
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,428
Gold Stars: 116
Some right wallies on here - obviously the education system has been in decline well before Covid where common sense was not a subject instilled into pupils
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 188 - 193
aldi_01
December 17, 2021, 8:43am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.03
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
Quoted from golfer
Some right wallies on here - obviously the education system has been in decline well before Covid where common sense was not a subject instilled into pupils

Probably around the time when funding was cut but Gove sent a bible to every school and said teaching the dates of kings and queens was more appropriate…

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 189 - 193
20 Pages Prev ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Covid passports for football

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.