Reply: 3 - 70
Tommy
November 29, 2021, 6:52pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +60 / -15
Approval: +8,850
Gold Stars: 76
I remember him causing us a lot of problems when we played Orient away in Billy Clarke's debut game for us not long after Holloway took over.

Clever technical player that should link up well with McAtee and Taylor.

Got a feeling it'll be Sousa that makes way to fit him in the team, but I'd rather us end the "Clifton out wide" experiment now and play with JMD and Sousa on the flanks. Harry did a decent job there for a few games but its a different proposition being asked to do it longet term. The Solihull gaffer knew they had to just stop our right side (Efete & Sousa) to nullify us and win the game, because we don't have that threat on the other side. This isn't a sig at Clifton at all, I'd be happy for him to slot into the middle, he's just more and more looked like a lad filling in out of position in the last couple of games.

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 70
Northbank Mariner
November 29, 2021, 6:52pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.77
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: +7,380
Gold Stars: 170
Gotta say I'm wondering if this is the kid who can back up on the Macatee role should he be injured again?..
Reckon we'll see Drew on the right with Sousa on the left...all of a sudden the front line is now looking stronger imo...
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 70
TAGG
November 29, 2021, 6:57pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +26 / -26
Approval: +2,969
Gold Stars: 121
Welcome Jordan.
Hope Hurst nips back to Woking and sign Tahvon Campbell

In his three stints as Grimsby Town manager spanning over 10 years the club was never relegated and he also guided them to three promotions.
Only 14 managers have reached 1,000 matches in charge of a Football League team by 1998 and Buckley is one of them.
GOD
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 70
Poojah
November 29, 2021, 7:24pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.23
Rep Score: +75 / -11
Approval: +29,117
Gold Stars: 1,488
Intriguing one this. On the surface, apparently couldn’t cut it at Woking and they were happy enough to release him from his contract, but if you look beyond that there are signs of a very decent player there.

He scored 15 in 46 for Dagenham as a teenager back in 16/17, not sure in what position, but that’s reasonable evidence that he can score goals at this level. He’s played nearly 70 games in League Two over the course of the last 2 seasons (one of which was curtailed), scoring 10, and the season before that he won the National League with Orient, scoring 3 goals in 12 games following a decent spell at Wrexham earlier that season.

I think his unsuccessful stint at Woking possibly places a bit of a negative slant on his record, but if we’d have signed him in the summer (as we apparently tried) I think we’d all have been very happy with him.

Looks a tricky, technical player with a bit of end product. If he can re-find his form and reduce our profligacy from wide positions and / or serve as a viable alternative when McAtee is unavailable or not quite firing then this looks to be quite an astute signing.

Fingers crossed he turns out more Jon Nolan than Christian Jolley.

https://youtu.be/RfNHJ5ut9mo
https://youtu.be/lR2N-7NRHOo

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 70
ska face
November 29, 2021, 7:41pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.20
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,217
Gold Stars: 812
Woking fans not happy, at all -

https://www.cardsboard.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=11302

It’s a strange squad looking at it through Hurst’s previous spell here. He used to build teams of hard working, gritty players that just lacked a bit of quality. We now seem to have a squad blessed with some very good technical players, but lack maybe the work rate in some cases and the ability or willingness to really dig in and grind results out.

I like the look of him & I’m looking forward to seeing him play, especially with the likes of McAtee, Taylor, Hunt & Bell.
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 70
Poojah
November 29, 2021, 8:02pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.23
Rep Score: +75 / -11
Approval: +29,117
Gold Stars: 1,488
Quoted from ska face
Woking fans not happy, at all -

https://www.cardsboard.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=11302

It’s a strange squad looking at it through Hurst’s previous spell here. He used to build teams of hard working, gritty players that just lacked a bit of quality. We now seem to have a squad blessed with some very good technical players, but lack maybe the work rate in some cases and the ability or willingness to really dig in and grind results out.

I like the look of him & I’m looking forward to seeing him play, especially with the likes of McAtee, Taylor, Hunt & Bell.

Quite an enlightening thread that, as is the Matt Dean interview with JMD linked within (and below for reference). Reading between the lines, he was one of their marquee signings in the summer as Woking significantly upped their budget. Started off well, got injured and then couldn’t get back in after their incomprehensibly Geordie manager decided he didn’t want to play anyone under the height of 6ft 9”.

I was initially sceptical, but I think this could actually be a very smart piece of business on our part.

Interview: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/p0b6zv6b

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 70
8 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Welcome Jordan  Maguire Drew

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.