Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +55 / -13
Approval: +4,921
Gold Stars: 26
Quoted from ska face
Woking fans not happy, at all -

https://www.cardsboard.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=11302

It’s a strange squad looking at it through Hurst’s previous spell here. He used to build teams of hard working, gritty players that just lacked a bit of quality. We now seem to have a squad blessed with some very good technical players, but lack maybe the work rate in some cases and the ability or willingness to really dig in and grind results out.

I like the look of him & I’m looking forward to seeing him play, especially with the likes of McAtee, Taylor, Hunt & Bell.

Drew and Bell, exciting combination
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 70
Limerick Mariner
November 29, 2021, 8:24pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +5,664
Gold Stars: 136
Quoted from Poojah
Intriguing one this. On the surface, apparently couldn’t cut it at Woking and they were happy enough to release him from his contract, but if you look beyond that there are signs of a very decent player there.

He scored 15 in 46 for Dagenham as a teenager back in 16/17, not sure in what position, but that’s reasonable evidence that he can score goals at this level. He’s played nearly 70 games in League Two over the course of the last 2 seasons (one of which was curtailed), scoring 10, and the season before that he won the National League with Orient, scoring 3 goals in 12 games following a decent spell at Wrexham earlier that season.

I think his unsuccessful stint at Woking possibly places a bit of a negative slant on his record, but if we’d have signed him in the summer (as we apparently tried) I think we’d all have been very happy with him.

Looks a tricky, technical player with a bit of end product. If he can re-find his form and reduce our profligacy from wide positions and / or serve as a viable alternative when McAtee is unavailable or not quite firing then this looks to be quite an astute signing.

Fingers crossed he turns out more Jon Nolan than Christian Jolley.

https://youtu.be/RfNHJ5ut9mo
https://youtu.be/lR2N-7NRHOo

Perhaps there was a language barrier with the Woking management…
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 70
Poojah
November 29, 2021, 8:50pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.24
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,426
Gold Stars: 1,499
Quoted from Limerick Mariner

Perhaps there was a language barrier with the Woking management…

“So gaffer, how do you think I’ve done so far?”.

“Wey bonnie lad, ah think you’ve been purely belta, an you’re playin deed wey an' hev scored sum class gerls fo' wor. If yee gan keep that up fo' the next couple iv games it’ll be me roond in the boozah cum saturda neet. Neeo gan an' practice yor cornaz”.

“Erm…ok. I think I’d like to leave please”.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 70
Limerick Mariner
November 29, 2021, 9:25pm
Whiskey Drinker
I demand  a 33% share of Poojah’s gold stars for my assist (awaits masses of red crosses…)
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 70
Maringer
November 29, 2021, 9:30pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,412
Gold Stars: 184
For a left-sided player, he looks to have a pretty good shot with his right foot and he's scored a few with it in those highlights. That's always helpful as it keeps the defenders guessing rather than trying to stop you turning inside (if he's playing from the right), all the time.

I didn't realise we were looking for a longer-term signing, thought it would just be until the end of the season, so Hurst obviously thinks he's got potential for us.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 70
TownSNAFU5
November 29, 2021, 9:33pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,860
Gold Stars: 42
You can’t have 33% of 5 gold stars.  Sorry.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 70
Limerick Mariner
November 29, 2021, 9:40pm
Whiskey Drinker
A big plus for me is this releases Harry as mentioned above. Harry needs to be our midfield enforcer now - breaking up opposition possession, winning loose ball in the middle third and getting the ball to Hunt, McAtee and the wide players.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 70
Poojah
November 29, 2021, 9:42pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.24
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,426
Gold Stars: 1,499
A big plus for me is this releases Harry as mentioned above. Harry needs to be our midfield enforcer now - breaking up opposition possession, winning loose ball in the middle third and getting the ball to Hunt, McAtee and the wide players.

I think it also means we won’t see Ben Fox playing the 10 role again as well. I think there’s a great player in Fox, but he’s just not that sort of player.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 70
Northbank Mariner
November 29, 2021, 9:46pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.76
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: +7,443
Gold Stars: 171

You mean do the Coke role but actually play the ball forward!...
Hurst knew we weren't getting decent balls into the box and with Bell and now JMD he's potentially rectified that problem...
For as much as I love Sousa his end product, be it a cross or shot, just isn't good enough.
Looking forward to seeing this lad play, roll on Saturday..UTM..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 70
jamesgtfc
November 29, 2021, 10:39pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +12,942
Gold Stars: 190
I can understand why Woking fans are concerned. We would be equally concerned if something similar happened to Sousa for example. Hurst is generally a decent judge of character and we know that he speaks to others about players. He trusts Pearson who he's played with previously so I'm sure a conversation will have been had there.

He's had a lot of clubs but most of them were loan moves whilst at Brighton. Since then he's had a solid 18 months at Orient followed by a loan at Crawley before Woking. By all accounts, Hurst was just a couple of days too late reaching out to him in the summer. Everyone makes a hasty decision they later regret from time to time but Hurst is a good judge of character and this should give us plenty of competition in the wide areas as well as cover for McAtee.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 70
8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Welcome Jordan  Maguire Drew

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.