Reply: 3 - 70
Tommy
November 29, 2021, 6:52pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +60 / -15
Approval: +8,859
Gold Stars: 76
I remember him causing us a lot of problems when we played Orient away in Billy Clarke's debut game for us not long after Holloway took over.

Clever technical player that should link up well with McAtee and Taylor.

Got a feeling it'll be Sousa that makes way to fit him in the team, but I'd rather us end the "Clifton out wide" experiment now and play with JMD and Sousa on the flanks. Harry did a decent job there for a few games but its a different proposition being asked to do it longet term. The Solihull gaffer knew they had to just stop our right side (Efete & Sousa) to nullify us and win the game, because we don't have that threat on the other side. This isn't a sig at Clifton at all, I'd be happy for him to slot into the middle, he's just more and more looked like a lad filling in out of position in the last couple of games.

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 70
Northbank Mariner
November 29, 2021, 6:52pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.76
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: +7,391
Gold Stars: 170
Gotta say I'm wondering if this is the kid who can back up on the Macatee role should he be injured again?..
Reckon we'll see Drew on the right with Sousa on the left...all of a sudden the front line is now looking stronger imo...
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 70
TAGG
November 29, 2021, 6:57pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +26 / -26
Approval: +2,981
Gold Stars: 121
Welcome Jordan.
Hope Hurst nips back to Woking and sign Tahvon Campbell

In his three stints as Grimsby Town manager spanning over 10 years the club was never relegated and he also guided them to three promotions.
Only 14 managers have reached 1,000 matches in charge of a Football League team by 1998 and Buckley is one of them.
GOD
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 70
Poojah
November 29, 2021, 7:24pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.23
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,153
Gold Stars: 1,489
Intriguing one this. On the surface, apparently couldn’t cut it at Woking and they were happy enough to release him from his contract, but if you look beyond that there are signs of a very decent player there.

He scored 15 in 46 for Dagenham as a teenager back in 16/17, not sure in what position, but that’s reasonable evidence that he can score goals at this level. He’s played nearly 70 games in League Two over the course of the last 2 seasons (one of which was curtailed), scoring 10, and the season before that he won the National League with Orient, scoring 3 goals in 12 games following a decent spell at Wrexham earlier that season.

I think his unsuccessful stint at Woking possibly places a bit of a negative slant on his record, but if we’d have signed him in the summer (as we apparently tried) I think we’d all have been very happy with him.

Looks a tricky, technical player with a bit of end product. If he can re-find his form and reduce our profligacy from wide positions and / or serve as a viable alternative when McAtee is unavailable or not quite firing then this looks to be quite an astute signing.

Fingers crossed he turns out more Jon Nolan than Christian Jolley.

https://youtu.be/RfNHJ5ut9mo
https://youtu.be/lR2N-7NRHOo

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 70
ska face
November 29, 2021, 7:41pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,343
Gold Stars: 820
Woking fans not happy, at all -

https://www.cardsboard.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=11302

It’s a strange squad looking at it through Hurst’s previous spell here. He used to build teams of hard working, gritty players that just lacked a bit of quality. We now seem to have a squad blessed with some very good technical players, but lack maybe the work rate in some cases and the ability or willingness to really dig in and grind results out.

I like the look of him & I’m looking forward to seeing him play, especially with the likes of McAtee, Taylor, Hunt & Bell.
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 70
Poojah
November 29, 2021, 8:02pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from ska face

It’s a strange squad looking at it through Hurst’s previous spell here. He used to build teams of hard working, gritty players that just lacked a bit of quality. We now seem to have a squad blessed with some very good technical players, but lack maybe the work rate in some cases and the ability or willingness to really dig in and grind results out.

I like the look of him & I’m looking forward to seeing him play, especially with the likes of McAtee, Taylor, Hunt & Bell.

Quite an enlightening thread that, as is the Matt Dean interview with JMD linked within (and below for reference). Reading between the lines, he was one of their marquee signings in the summer as Woking significantly upped their budget. Started off well, got injured and then couldn’t get back in after their incomprehensibly Geordie manager decided he didn’t want to play anyone under the height of 6ft 9”.

I was initially sceptical, but I think this could actually be a very smart piece of business on our part.

Interview: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/p0b6zv6b

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 70
Garth
November 29, 2021, 8:17pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.93
Rep Score: +55 / -13
Approval: +4,913
Gold Stars: 25
Quoted from ska face

Drew and Bell, exciting combination
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 70
Limerick Mariner
November 29, 2021, 8:24pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.55
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +5,553
Gold Stars: 131
Quoted from Poojah
Intriguing one this. On the surface, apparently couldn’t cut it at Woking and they were happy enough to release him from his contract, but if you look beyond that there are signs of a very decent player there.

He scored 15 in 46 for Dagenham as a teenager back in 16/17, not sure in what position, but that’s reasonable evidence that he can score goals at this level. He’s played nearly 70 games in League Two over the course of the last 2 seasons (one of which was curtailed), scoring 10, and the season before that he won the National League with Orient, scoring 3 goals in 12 games following a decent spell at Wrexham earlier that season.

I think his unsuccessful stint at Woking possibly places a bit of a negative slant on his record, but if we’d have signed him in the summer (as we apparently tried) I think we’d all have been very happy with him.

Looks a tricky, technical player with a bit of end product. If he can re-find his form and reduce our profligacy from wide positions and / or serve as a viable alternative when McAtee is unavailable or not quite firing then this looks to be quite an astute signing.

Fingers crossed he turns out more Jon Nolan than Christian Jolley.

https://youtu.be/RfNHJ5ut9mo
https://youtu.be/lR2N-7NRHOo

Perhaps there was a language barrier with the Woking management…
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 70
Poojah
November 29, 2021, 8:50pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from Limerick Mariner

Perhaps there was a language barrier with the Woking management…

“So gaffer, how do you think I’ve done so far?”.

“Wey bonnie lad, ah think you’ve been purely belta, an you’re playin deed wey an' hev scored sum class gerls fo' wor. If yee gan keep that up fo' the next couple iv games it’ll be me roond in the boozah cum saturda neet. Neeo gan an' practice yor cornaz”.

“Erm…ok. I think I’d like to leave please”.

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 70
Limerick Mariner
November 29, 2021, 9:25pm
Whiskey Drinker
I demand  a 33% share of Poojah’s gold stars for my assist (awaits masses of red crosses…)
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 70
Maringer
November 29, 2021, 9:30pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.86
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,140
Gold Stars: 180
For a left-sided player, he looks to have a pretty good shot with his right foot and he's scored a few with it in those highlights. That's always helpful as it keeps the defenders guessing rather than trying to stop you turning inside (if he's playing from the right), all the time.

I didn't realise we were looking for a longer-term signing, thought it would just be until the end of the season, so Hurst obviously thinks he's got potential for us.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 70
TownSNAFU5
November 29, 2021, 9:33pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,773
Gold Stars: 41
You can’t have 33% of 5 gold stars.  Sorry.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 70
Limerick Mariner
November 29, 2021, 9:40pm
Whiskey Drinker
A big plus for me is this releases Harry as mentioned above. Harry needs to be our midfield enforcer now - breaking up opposition possession, winning loose ball in the middle third and getting the ball to Hunt, McAtee and the wide players.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 70
Poojah
November 29, 2021, 9:42pm
Vodka Drinker
A big plus for me is this releases Harry as mentioned above. Harry needs to be our midfield enforcer now - breaking up opposition possession, winning loose ball in the middle third and getting the ball to Hunt, McAtee and the wide players.

I think it also means we won’t see Ben Fox playing the 10 role again as well. I think there’s a great player in Fox, but he’s just not that sort of player.

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 70
Northbank Mariner
November 29, 2021, 9:46pm
Whiskey Drinker

You mean do the Coke role but actually play the ball forward!...
Hurst knew we weren't getting decent balls into the box and with Bell and now JMD he's potentially rectified that problem...
For as much as I love Sousa his end product, be it a cross or shot, just isn't good enough.
Looking forward to seeing this lad play, roll on Saturday..UTM..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 70
jamesgtfc
November 29, 2021, 10:39pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +12,816
Gold Stars: 187
I can understand why Woking fans are concerned. We would be equally concerned if something similar happened to Sousa for example. Hurst is generally a decent judge of character and we know that he speaks to others about players. He trusts Pearson who he's played with previously so I'm sure a conversation will have been had there.

He's had a lot of clubs but most of them were loan moves whilst at Brighton. Since then he's had a solid 18 months at Orient followed by a loan at Crawley before Woking. By all accounts, Hurst was just a couple of days too late reaching out to him in the summer. Everyone makes a hasty decision they later regret from time to time but Hurst is a good judge of character and this should give us plenty of competition in the wide areas as well as cover for McAtee.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 70
Kris2
November 29, 2021, 11:03pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.65
Rep Score: +16 / -18
Approval: +2,617
Gold Stars: 136
Quoted from Poojah

Quite an enlightening thread that, as is the Matt Dean interview with JMD linked within (and below for reference). Reading between the lines, he was one of their marquee signings in the summer as Woking significantly upped their budget. Started off well, got injured and then couldn’t get back in after their incomprehensibly Geordie manager decided he didn’t want to play anyone under the height of 6ft 9”.

I was initially sceptical, but I think this could actually be a very smart piece of business on our part.

Interview: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/p0b6zv6b

Was going to say, he doesn't seem their type of player at all. Woking always seem to play big bruiser types and not sure where he fits in with all that. Doesn't seem logical that he left then signed for GTFC but who knows what his contract was with them, we saw how weird contracts can get with the Hereford saga.
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 70
Norseman
November 29, 2021, 11:14pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.45
Rep Score: +2 / -4
Approval: +263
Gold Stars: 48
Quoted from Maringer
For a left-sided player, he looks to have a pretty good shot with his right foot and he's scored a few with it in those highlights. That's always helpful as it keeps the defenders guessing rather than trying to stop you turning inside (if he's playing from the right), all the time.

I didn't realise we were looking for a longer-term signing, thought it would just be until the end of the season, so Hurst obviously thinks he's got potential for us.

I believe he is a right sided player and part of his issue was being made to play on the left
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 70
Poojah
November 29, 2021, 11:16pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from Norseman

I believe he is a right sided player and part of his issue was being made to play on the left

Left footed, right sided. Unusual mix, but looks decent with both feet to be fair.

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 70
Maringer
November 29, 2021, 11:55pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.86
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,140
Gold Stars: 180
Left-sided, I was talking about him being left-footed. Whichever side of the pitch he plays on, that remains the same. Wouldn't normally point out an attacking player could hit a shot decently well with their stronger foot, but perhaps I need to following what we've seen in recent seasons!
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 70
Mayaman
November 30, 2021, 12:14am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.89
Rep Score: +7 / -2
Approval: +3,259
Gold Stars: 71
Quoted from ska face

McAtee, Taylor , Hunt & Bell are actually the lawyers who oversee GTFC's contracts and other legal business.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 70
KingstonMariner
November 30, 2021, 12:23am
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.12
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from Mayaman

McAtee, Taylor , Hunt & Bell are actually the lawyers who oversee GTFC's contracts and other legal business.

I thought lawyers came in threes like surveyors.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 70
wiggers
November 30, 2021, 6:10am
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Approval: +460
Gold Stars: 11
Think this is a good signing, just wondering where it leaves Joel Grant and Sean Scannell. Also what about Bapaga who has been very good when selected, can see him gone come January……
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 70
fishboyUTM
November 30, 2021, 8:33am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.42
Rep Score: +7 / -3
Approval: +1,046
Gold Stars: 40
Quoted from wiggers
Think this is a good signing, just wondering where it leaves Joel Grant and Sean Scannell. Also what about Bapaga who has been very good when selected, can see him gone come January……

Joel Grant and Sean Scannell have been injured all season long. It's up to them to fight their way into the reckoning. We can't rely on them, Scannell in particular who seems to be betrayed by his body whenever he's close to a return. Feel for him, but both are over 30 and it happens or we'd all play forever.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 70
Les Brechin
November 30, 2021, 10:41am

Posts Per Day: 4.19
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,644
Gold Stars: 168
I see that he was on loan at Wrexham in 2018 so I asked their fans views on him.

A bit of a mixed view really.

http://www.redpassion.co.uk/forums/wrexham/118765-jordan-mcguire-drew.html

[img]https://news.images.itv.com/image/file/402260/image_update_img.jpg[/img]
OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 70
Poojah
November 30, 2021, 10:45am
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from Les Brechin
I see that he was on loan at Wrexham in 2018 so I asked their fans views on him.

Reads a lot like the Scunny fans’ assessment of McAtee in the summer. Will be interesting to see whether Hurst can instil that same kind of tenacity in him.

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 70
lew chaterleys lover
November 30, 2021, 10:50am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,545
Gold Stars: 231
Quoted from Les Brechin

Nice try, but it is very rare for other teams fans to praise players who turn up signing for rivals.

When he turns out to be a fantastic player (we hope) make sure you go back on their site and rub their noses in it, especially when he crosses for Pearson to head home the goal that clinches promotion as that would really wind them up.
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 70
Les Brechin
November 30, 2021, 11:06am

Posts Per Day: 4.19
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,644
Gold Stars: 168

Nice try, but it is very rare for other teams fans to praise players who turn up signing for rivals.

When he turns out to be a fantastic player (we hope) make sure you go back on their site and rub their noses in it, especially when he crosses for Pearson to head home the goal that clinches promotion as that would really wind them up.

Ha ha, now that would be good!

[img]https://news.images.itv.com/image/file/402260/image_update_img.jpg[/img]
OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 70
aldi_01
November 30, 2021, 11:19am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.04
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
Other fans can often give a very broad view, I guess it depends when those players featured within their time frames.

Take someone like Billy Clarke, no doubt decent but in truth he played for GTFC under the most embarrassing manager ever, during a woeful time.

Take Andy Parkinson, played well, not the worst but not the best but is often thought of fondly because we had a good season…all swings and round abouts.

Let’s face it, Lincoln fans were pretty unanimous in their views of Nolan…and how wrong were they?

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 70
pen penfras
November 30, 2021, 11:39am

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.67
Rep Score: +8 / -9
Approval: -137
Gold Stars: 71
Quoted from aldi_01
Other fans can often give a very broad view, I guess it depends when those players featured within their time frames.

Take someone like Billy Clarke, no doubt decent but in truth he played for GTFC under the most embarrassing manager ever, during a woeful time.

Take Andy Parkinson, played well, not the worst but not the best but is often thought of fondly because we had a good season…all swings and round abouts.

Let’s face it, Lincoln fans were pretty unanimous in their views of Nolan…and how wrong were they?

I get your point, but who has said Billy Clarke was anything other than good for us? Also that season we looked like we'd become a good side. It was Covid that started the shambles.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 70
pontoonlew
November 30, 2021, 11:48am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +36 / -15
Approval: +8,721
Gold Stars: 163
If fans of other teams unanimously say somebody is excrement then they tend to be right, if it's mixed then it really is a flip of a coin at this level especially. There's enough about him previously to suggest we have a chance of unlocking some great potential there and he's still only 24.

On Clifton switching back to CM, I wouldn't be so sure. We have a very talented winger in Bapaga who is being kept out the XI by Clifton at the minute and I think Hurst likes the apparent 'balance' Clifton will give us.

I don't agree with it, in fact I think playing Clifton LW and not CM is part of our issues going forward recently. However, I've seen enough of Hurst over the years to suggest this may be a genuine plan for Clifton, after all, Hurst was the creator of the disaster that was the 'lob-sided midfield' a few years back
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 70
aldi_01
November 30, 2021, 12:11pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.04
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
Quoted from pen penfras

I get your point, but who has said Billy Clarke was anything other than good for us? Also that season we looked like we'd become a good side. It was Covid that started the shambles.

To be fair, there’s probably a plethora of players under the likes of Bignot and Jolley that were probably much better than we’ll ever remember…

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 70
TownSNAFU5
November 30, 2021, 12:30pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,773
Gold Stars: 41
Don’t forget that  McAtee was said to have been very lazy at Scunny. I take it that he was.  How he was managed.  He is completely different with us.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 70
DB
November 30, 2021, 12:42pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.55
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +3,881
Gold Stars: 383
I'm not really bothered how good or bad players have been with previous clubs. To me as long as they give their best every time in a black and white shirt is all you can ask. We've seen over the years those with good reputations not perform for us and those with bad ones, McAtee now, perform very well.

It's all about getting the best out of them which Hurst, on the whole, seems to do.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 70
promotion plaice
November 30, 2021, 12:44pm

Posts Per Day: 3.84
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +16,953
Gold Stars: 188

Southern softie.

Only kidding, welcome to GTFC Jordan  

[img]https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FFcC2swXwAMTNhq?format=jpg&name=large[/img]

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 70
Ipswin
November 30, 2021, 3:44pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.11
Rep Score: +44 / -47
Approval: -3,552
Gold Stars: 89
Quoted from pontoonlew
If fans of other teams unanimously say somebody is excrement then they tend to be right, if it's mixed then it really is a flip of a coin at this level especially. There's enough about him previously to suggest we have a chance of unlocking some great potential there and he's still only 24.

Sounds like he has great potential but I hope in this case fans being unanimous isn't correct in one aspect as he sounds like a bit of a home bird. Just saying what every Wrexham fan noticed about him

On bended knee is no way to be free - Peter R de Vries

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse.....=public_profile_post
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 70
rancido
November 30, 2021, 5:04pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,446
Gold Stars: 91
Quoted from wiggers

Bapaga is a loan player, so surely it is better to have a contracted player on the books? Regardless of whether Bapaga is lower in the pecking order or not he could still be recalled by his parent club in January.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 70
NorfolkImp
December 1, 2021, 4:54pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.49
Rep Score: +10 / -10
Approval: -493
Good grief, don’t get too excited …. absolutely awful whilst on loan for The Imps a few years back, but could probably do a job in the 5th Tier.

Private Message
Reply: 41 - 70
Northbank Mariner
December 1, 2021, 4:57pm
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from NorfolkImp
Good grief, don’t get too excited …. absolutely awful whilst on loan for The Imps a few years back, but could probably do a job in the 5th Tier.

I fairness you lot said the same about Nolan and was outstanding for us...
Not every player will perform the same at every club, he's got every chance of succeeding here, maybe he's arm round the shoulder type and didn't take to 2 bullying ex PE teachers.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 70
NorfolkImp
December 1, 2021, 5:12pm
Brandy Drinker
Quoted from Northbank Mariner

I fairness you lot said the same about Nolan and was outstanding for us...
Not every player will perform the same at every club, he's got every chance of succeeding here, maybe he's arm round the shoulder type and didn't take to 2 bullying ex PE teachers.  

I wouldn’t mind those ‘bullies’ back tbh, they absolutely skool’d The Imps last Tuesday evening with Pompey …. it’s a painful watch at the moment.

Private Message
Reply: 43 - 70
Northbank Mariner
December 1, 2021, 5:28pm
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from NorfolkImp

I wouldn’t mind those ‘bullies’ back tbh, they absolutely skool’d The Imps last Tuesday evening with Pompey …. it’s a painful watch at the moment.

Take it Appleton is sh!t then?...not having a go, but do you think league 2 is a distinct possibility and how's the attendances doing now?..be interesting to see how many have stood firm now you're going through a slump...
As for JMD, we are lacking decent balls into the box so hoping this lad can work alongside Macatee and gives our forward/forwards something to work off .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 70
Meza
December 1, 2021, 5:57pm

We urine On Your Fish Yes we do yes we do
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.84
Rep Score: +78 / -3
Approval: +1,634
Gold Stars: 50

Take it Appleton is sh!t then?...not having a go, but do you think league 2 is a distinct possibility and how's the attendances doing now?..be interesting to see how many have stood firm now you're going through a slump...
As for JMD, we are lacking decent balls into the box so hoping this lad can work alongside Macatee and gives our forward/forwards something to work off .

I have a few Lincoln mates considering i live and work here.  The ones i have spoken to felt he struggled to get going at first but towards the end he was quality and would like to have kept him.

This season, i think Lincoln have tightened the purse strings a little, and unable to bring in the same caliber of loan players they had last season.  From what my work mate says at the minute they are playing with a 17 yo striker but have already got new signings lined up in January.

[URL=https://imgur.com/VCxdH2Y][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/VCxdH2Ys.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=https://imgur.com/uMRVvRe][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/uMRVvRes.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=https://imgur.com/5p7nllT][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/5p7nllTs.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=https://imgur.com/46BEw5M][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/46BEw5Ms.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=https://imgur.com/06NXnQF][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/06NXnQFs.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

My Grimsby Legends
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 70
NorfolkImp
December 3, 2021, 3:17pm
Brandy Drinker

No, I think he deserves the January window at the very least based on last season's highest positional finish for almost 40 years. Box to box we are more than decent, just up top (since Scully has been injured) we've been absolute gash ... plus the odd gaffe at the back means very few clean sheets.

Attendances remarkably have kept at an average of 8,500 that's with big games v Sunderland & Sheff Wednesday still to come. Saturday v Hartlepool is VERY important with a chance to pull out a big gun in the 3rd Round of the FA Cup. Injuries to the spine (Walsh, Bridcutt & Hopper) have hit hard in terms of vital experience on the field too, plus the loan signings being poor in comparison to last season.

Private Message
Reply: 46 - 70
Chobham Card
December 3, 2021, 8:20pm
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.00
Approval: +3
Hi all. Woking fan in peace.

Those of you who've checked our forum over the past week or so may have seen a 6/7 page thread lamenting the loss of JMD. Hugely exciting player, looked good for us, fully contracted, and we'd finally got him back to fitness after an expensive rehab process. Why on earth have we terminated his contract so he can join another side in our league?

As part of the regular video catchups we do with our gaffer, he was asked about the situation. It appears that JMD lied about his mental health in order to leave the club.

Jordan came to training and then to the management team in tears, saying that he'd been putting a brave face on for a while and wanted to quit football. He promised the club that nothing else was lined up - he just wasn't in a good place, and needed a change of scene. He could live off his savings in the meantime. On that basis, our manager wanted to do what was right for the player, and agreed to let him go.

36 hours later he signs for you chaps, and does [url=https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/p0b6zv6b]an interview[/url] saying that his agent was contacted by Paul Hurst a few weeks ago. "As soon as I could get out of the contract at Woking, the deal seemed to happen in a couple of days."

If any of you speak Geordie, here's the section of the interview where our manager talks about it:

[url=https://youtu.be/4MkZDXxMnyE?t=606]here's[/url]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 70
MarinerRob
December 3, 2021, 8:40pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +1,429
Gold Stars: 107
I agree it seemed very strange to leave Woking after being a contracted player and then to sign for Grimsby.

You could say that Woking is my second team in the National League as I only live 3 miles away so feel  for them.

I am sure I would be very cross and annoyed if it happens to Grimsby.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 70
Meza
December 3, 2021, 8:47pm

We urine On Your Fish Yes we do yes we do
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.84
Rep Score: +78 / -3
Approval: +1,634
Gold Stars: 50
It did, when James Tilley went to Crawley as soon as his contract was terminated.  Clearly something made JMD change his mind about his time at Woking.  These things happen unfortunately.

[URL=https://imgur.com/VCxdH2Y][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/VCxdH2Ys.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=https://imgur.com/uMRVvRe][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/uMRVvRes.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=https://imgur.com/5p7nllT][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/5p7nllTs.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=https://imgur.com/46BEw5M][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/46BEw5Ms.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=https://imgur.com/06NXnQF][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/06NXnQFs.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

My Grimsby Legends
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 70
promotion plaice
December 3, 2021, 8:49pm

Quoted from Chobham Card

[url=https://youtu.be/4MkZDXxMnyE?t=606]here's[/url]

Starts 10:06 minutes in if it's any help.

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 70
ska face
December 3, 2021, 8:54pm

Vodka Drinker
Bit out of order that. I hope he doesn’t say signing for us was due to a psychotic episode, it’s usually the manager’s excuse.
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 70
Hagrid
December 3, 2021, 8:55pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.79
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +19,988
Gold Stars: 507
Gotta say if that is true its disgraceful
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 70
RobDef1
December 3, 2021, 9:05pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.53
Rep Score: +5 / -1
Approval: +1,115
Gold Stars: 97
Yes if every word of that is gospel then absolutely disgraceful. I will just say this, if JMD came to the club and said he doesn't want to play football right now and he has no intention of going anywhere else, then (as a good human being) why would contract cancelation be the option? Why wouldn't he just see his contract out on the sidelines and have a support network from the club, therapy etc. Doesn't quite ring true...

Codhead, socialist, recovered addict.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 70
ska face
December 3, 2021, 9:24pm

Vodka Drinker
Yep, obviously two sides to every story. Would like to hear one in English if possible.
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 70
Davec
December 3, 2021, 9:26pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.17
Rep Score: +15 / -10
Approval: +1,441
Gold Stars: 42
There are certainly two sides to every story so I wouldn't take everything what the Woking manager is saying as gospel but it is concerning if he is telling the whole truth.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 70
fishboyUTM
December 3, 2021, 9:47pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.42
Rep Score: +7 / -3
Approval: +1,046
Gold Stars: 40
JMD has just tweeted 'To all Woking fans, I would never use mental health as an excuse to get out of a contract. Mental health is not something to be taken lightly.'
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 70
moosey_club
December 3, 2021, 9:59pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,142
Gold Stars: 220
In these current times then using mental health as an excuse would be disgraceful.
Only a few people will know the truth, JMD himself, his agent and the management team at Woking who he spoke to.
Given they didn't kick up a fuss and seemed to release him quietly makes me lean towards thinking at least some of that version is true.

Time will tell.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWL
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 57 - 70
MuddyWaters
December 3, 2021, 10:09pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +31,883
Gold Stars: 230
He’s now ours. Let’s not judge him on the words of a manager who is getting it in the neck for letting him go.
Private Message
Reply: 58 - 70
quebec38
December 3, 2021, 10:10pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +6 / -1
Approval: +1,549
Gold Stars: 44
Quoted from NorfolkImp

No, I think he deserves the January window at the very least based on last season's highest positional finish for almost 40 years. Box to box we are more than decent, just up top (since Scully has been injured) we've been absolute gash ... plus the odd gaffe at the back means very few clean sheets.

Attendances remarkably have kept at an average of 8,500 that's with big games v Sunderland & Sheff Wednesday still to come. Saturday v Hartlepool is VERY important with a chance to pull out a big gun in the 3rd Round of the FA Cup. Injuries to the spine (Walsh, Bridcutt & Hopper) have hit hard in terms of vital experience on the field too, plus the loan signings being poor in comparison to last season.

You think he deserves another transfer window after guiding Lincoln to their highest finish in 40 years?

If ever a post summed up modern football, and the 2021 Lincoln City fan base.
Private Message
Reply: 59 - 70
TonySmith
December 3, 2021, 10:16pm

Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.08
Rep Score: +4 / -1
Approval: +964
That interview needed subtitles for me. Do Woking employ an interpreter or are all their players from the northeast?
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 60 - 70
SouthLakesMariner
December 3, 2021, 10:48pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +921
Gold Stars: 21
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 61 - 70
promotion plaice
December 3, 2021, 11:17pm

Quoted from TonySmith
That interview needed subtitles for me. Do Woking employ an interpreter or are all their players from the northeast?

My wife is originally from Whitley Bay, Pack Up is called Bait in our house  

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 62 - 70
jamesgtfc
December 4, 2021, 12:23am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +12,816
Gold Stars: 187
Three sides to every story. Woking, JMD and somewhere in the middle is the truth.

How much would he have cost if we wanted to buy him from Woking?

If it is true, what Woking should have done is retained his registration, which leads me to conclude their manager is exaggerating the truth a little bit.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 63 - 70
RonMariner
December 4, 2021, 8:11am

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.39
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,008
Gold Stars: 216
Quoted from SouthLakesMariner

Exactly what I recalled when watching the interview!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 64 - 70
RonMariner
December 4, 2021, 8:12am

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.39
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,008
Gold Stars: 216
Quoted from jamesgtfc
Three sides to every story. Woking, JMD and somewhere in the middle is the truth.

How much would he have cost if we wanted to buy him from Woking?

If it is true, what Woking should have done is retained his registration, which leads me to conclude their manager is exaggerating the truth a little bit.

There are two sides to every story. The truth might be somewhere between the two.

Anyway, he is here now so let's see what he brings to the team.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 65 - 70
WayneBurnettsJockstrap
December 4, 2021, 9:00am

Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.77
Rep Score: +10 / -2
Approval: +786
Gold Stars: 113
As long as he puts more effort into his football than he does keeping his fringe in place then we will be ok
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 66 - 70
HertsGTFC
December 4, 2021, 9:08am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.23
Rep Score: +29 / -8
Approval: +22,630
Gold Stars: 217
Quoted from promotion plaice

Starts 10:06 minutes in if it's any help.

Not sure what to make of this, if the lad has problems with his mental health then it’s a bit classless to talk about it in public like that. On the other hand if he used it as an excuse to get away it’s very disrespectful to anyone who has problems.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 67 - 70
Mariner93er
December 4, 2021, 12:28pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.53
Rep Score: +9 / -4
Approval: +4,674
Gold Stars: 28
It’s a very risky reason to make up if it’s not true. And it does seem very unlikely they’d be happy to simply release him.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 68 - 70
forza ivano
December 5, 2021, 12:12pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.47
Rep Score: +73 / -18
Approval: +15,139
Gold Stars: 265
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 69 - 70
NorfolkImp
December 5, 2021, 2:58pm
Brandy Drinker
Quoted from quebec38

You think he deserves another transfer window after guiding Lincoln to their highest finish in 40 years?

If ever a post summed up modern football, and the 2021 Lincoln City fan base.

I must’ve imagined being at Fisher & Runcorn 33 years ago then?

On the other hand, I’ve felt like throwing the batteries out of my season ticket Firestick lately!

Private Message
Reply: 70 - 70
8 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Welcome Jordan  Maguire Drew

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.