This thread currently has 8,653 views. Print
8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
Les Brechin
November 24, 2021, 11:41am

Posts Per Day: 4.17
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,709
Gold Stars: 174
Still nothing official coming out from the club for this yet. Strange!

[img]https://news.images.itv.com/image/file/402260/image_update_img.jpg[/img]
OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 60 - 72
gtfcmd
November 24, 2021, 7:04pm

Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +210
Gold Stars: 3
Takes them long enough to update the Gtfc website with results or fixture changes so might be waiting a bit longer before any statement
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 61 - 72
WOZOFGRIMSBY
November 26, 2021, 10:02pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.74
Rep Score: +66 / -22
Approval: +8,816
Gold Stars: 178
Apparently unlike the mens game, they fight week after week about wanting to wash the kit.

Rose is on fire

And your scotch eggs are fu(king vile
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 62 - 72
TinklerMan
December 20, 2021, 1:07pm
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.04
Approval: +168
Gold Stars: 10
Really not sure what has happened to the Ladies team recently. The club website isn't putting hardly any reports on games etc. anymore and although they still haven't lost a game, results seem to be quite underwhelming recently and they've slipped to second place.

There hasn't been a home game in ages, so not really sure what is happening with them. Is there anyone here that knows what is going on?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 63 - 72
GollyGTFC
December 20, 2021, 2:01pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.68
Rep Score: +19 / -11
Approval: +5,956
Gold Stars: 356
Quoted from Heisenberg

I think saturation is a good description of it. Sky and BBC are absolutely hell bent on us liking women’s football, and I just do not think it has earned the right to warrant wall-to-wall coverage. The BBC would never stoop as low as even League One on their evening news shows, yet a women’s game with 1,000 ‘fans’ (aka family members) present will often be the first sports story.

I could go on and on about this but it will be misconstrued by some as sexism. I think that anybody, any age or sex, can play whatever sport they want, and good on them, but to put it bluntly, nobody cares about women’s football, and that will never change.

12 million viewing the the UK watched England v USA in the Semi-Final of the 2019 Women’s World Cup.

Suggests that bitter, old, sexist men like you who dismiss Women’s football as rubbish are in the minority.
Logged Online
Private Message Skype
Reply: 64 - 72
TinklerMan
December 20, 2021, 2:47pm
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.04
Approval: +168
Gold Stars: 10
Quoted from GollyGTFC

12 million viewing the the UK watched England v USA in the Semi-Final of the 2019 Women’s World Cup.

Suggests that bitter, old, sexist men like you who dismiss Women’s football as rubbish are in the minority.

Amen to that.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 65 - 72
arryarryarry
December 20, 2021, 3:25pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,042
Gold Stars: 116
Quoted from GollyGTFC

I would watch plenty of sports if it involved England possibly winning something but would never go watch it live or even on TV the vast majority of the time as generally don't have that much interest.

Considering the top teams in the UK play their games at some numpty non league grounds suggests that there isn't that much interest in the womens game and at a lower level just have family & some friends plus their dog watching week in week out, bitter old men or not.
Private Message
Reply: 66 - 72
Heisenberg
December 20, 2021, 3:35pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.80
Rep Score: +9 / -1
Approval: +5,044
Gold Stars: 93
Quoted from GollyGTFC

Or maybe the majority of the 12m were people like me who tuned in through curiosity, but ultimately drew the same sort of conclusions watching Toni Duggan hit corners directly out for a goal kick? They certainly didn’t do it to be entertained.

Anyway, I’ll not resort to calling you names or (incorrectly) guessing whether you’re old or not x.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 67 - 72
aldi_01
December 20, 2021, 5:24pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.03
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
Quoted from Heisenberg

Or maybe the majority of the 12m were people like me who tuned in through curiosity, but ultimately drew the same sort of conclusions watching Toni Duggan hit corners directly out for a goal kick? They certainly didn’t do it to be entertained.

Anyway, I’ll not resort to calling you names or (incorrectly) guessing whether you’re old or not x.

To be fair, this was my view. It’s all well and good saying 12m tuned in but how stuck it out? How many watched the other games? I’ve no issue with womens football other than I just don’t find it interesting, much like darts, can happily watch PDC but not BDO.

With the 100 Aries in the summer I found the woman’s games more exciting, not liking women a football isn’t always a sexist issue.

I caught an advert for the womens game the other day, a player toe poked a shot and the commentary described it as a ‘top finish’, surely the sound doesn’t match the action for the advert? Or is that regarded  as a top finish in the WSL?

The saturation will naturally divide opinion, as will the womens game. In truth, if we’re being entirely honest, aside from the premier league, and in turn the champions league, the rest of football is cast aside. You get the odd patronising recognition which I’m sure chesterfield will receive when they play Chelsea and this peddled hyperbole about the magic of the cup and small teams coming good etc but we know deep down they don’t care. They don’t even really care about the bottom half of the premier league…

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 68 - 72
BobbyCummingsTackle
December 20, 2021, 5:50pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.54
Rep Score: +8 / -4
Location: Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right, stuck in the middle...
Approval: +7,269
Gold Stars: 304
Quoted from GollyGTFC

I don't want to get drawn into the discussion about women's football but I will jump on the misuse of statistics, especially when they are flagrant nonsense.

12m viewers of the 2019 semi final shows nothing of the sort. The current population of England is around 56m, the UK is around 68m. Therefore a television audience of 12m is a clear minority of the English or UK population.

I have no idea what proportion of the UK population is 'bitter, old, sexist men' and neither do you. Any suggestion you make will be your opinion and have no basis in statistical fact.

Your stat could actually undermine your assertion. If we assume (as you have done) that 12m viewers were not bitter, old or sexist then it is equally feasible that the remaining population were bitter, old and sexist. That would mean that 44m English people were bitter, old and sexist. A very clear majority.

All that 12m viewers tells us is that 12m people were prepared to watch a football match and that happens to be the largest TV audience for a women's match in the UK so far.

Miss Scunthorpe. Not a beauty pageant, just sound advice.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 69 - 72
8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Women’s team

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.