Private Message
Reply: 10 - 72
MaccasBoots
November 21, 2021, 1:37pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.27
Approval: +677
Gold Stars: 23
Very out of the blue, and feels a bit off that Dale has announced this via twitter, while there's been nothing from the club
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 72
Mallyner
November 21, 2021, 1:49pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +2,515
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from Theimperialcoroner
Anyone know what’s gone on?

Hopefully Houston hasn't had a problem.  

Supporting Town for 65 years.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 72
HertsGTFC
November 21, 2021, 2:14pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,909
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from LondonMariner43
Dale Houston, the women’s team manager, has resigned.  He posted on Twitter but no reason given.   Seems a shame given how well they are doing.  Would love to see the club appoint someone with a playing background at the club like John McD or even bring back someone like Michael Jolley and really take the team forward.

Even with the ladies team we’re obsessed with former players 🤦‍♂️

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 72
Heisenberg
November 21, 2021, 3:40pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.80
Rep Score: +9 / -1
Approval: +5,044
Gold Stars: 93
Quoted from aldi_01

Whilst I agree with the tongue in cheek approach it’s a weird one isn’t it? They’re saturating the market with women’s football now; almost out of guilt for ignoring it for so long…

However, try as I might, I can’t get on with it. It’s like when I’ve tried to watch other sports, it just doesn’t entertain or interest me…interestingly, 3 ladies at work play football at a decent ish level but they don’t watch women’s football…

I think saturation is a good description of it. Sky and BBC are absolutely hell bent on us liking women’s football, and I just do not think it has earned the right to warrant wall-to-wall coverage. The BBC would never stoop as low as even League One on their evening news shows, yet a women’s game with 1,000 ‘fans’ (aka family members) present will often be the first sports story.

I could go on and on about this but it will be misconstrued by some as sexism. I think that anybody, any age or sex, can play whatever sport they want, and good on them, but to put it bluntly, nobody cares about women’s football, and that will never change.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 72
Bristol Mariner
November 21, 2021, 3:59pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.26
Rep Score: +11 / -5
Approval: +2,877
Gold Stars: 79
Holloway is taking over, injecting some money I hear

GTFC Exile, Bristol Mariners
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 72
tarka
November 21, 2021, 4:33pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.12
Rep Score: +8 / -2
Approval: +890
Gold Stars: 29
Quoted from Heisenberg

I think saturation is a good description of it. Sky and BBC are absolutely hell bent on us liking women’s football, and I just do not think it has earned the right to warrant wall-to-wall coverage. The BBC would never stoop as low as even League One on their evening news shows, yet a women’s game with 1,000 ‘fans’ (aka family members) present will often be the first sports story.

I could go on and on about this but it will be misconstrued by some as sexism. I think that anybody, any age or sex, can play whatever sport they want, and good on them, but to put it bluntly, nobody cares about women’s football, and that will never change.

Misconstrued as sexism? After a post like that, how could you possibly say that?  
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 16 - 72
Heisenberg
November 21, 2021, 4:57pm
Brandy Drinker
Quoted from tarka

Misconstrued as sexism? After a post like that, how could you possibly say that?  

I know, I’ve had criticism from family members for this, but Tarka, I don’t know you, but let me know when you’re one of a thousand or so town fans who go to an away women’s game and I will accept that I’ve got it all horribly wrong.

When a child decides he or she likes football, they choose a team to support. They will never ever decide they are a fan of a women’s team, it’s just fact.

I am a fan of sport with women at the forefront (my favourite athletes list would include Jessica Ennis and Sally Gunnell, for example), but I just cannot get into women’s football, despite huge pressure from the powers that be. I think it’s that pressure from the PC crowd at the Beeb, SKY and other outlets that will always make me go against their will.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 72
tarka
November 21, 2021, 5:04pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.12
Rep Score: +8 / -2
Approval: +890
Gold Stars: 29
[quote=120888]

When a child decides he or she likes football, they choose a team to support. They will never ever decide they are a fan of a women’s team, it’s just fact.

You do know you are talking unadulterated sexist bo**ocks, don't you?
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 18 - 72
Heisenberg
November 21, 2021, 5:30pm
Brandy Drinker
Quoted from tarka
[quote=120888]

You do know you are talking unadulterated sexist bo**ocks, don't you?

You’re being a bit over sensitive, in my opinion. If society deems me a sexist, then so be it.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 72
8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Women’s team

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.