Heisenberg
November 21, 2021, 10:27pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.79
Rep Score: +9 / -1
Approval: +4,808
Gold Stars: 89
Quoted from Vance Warner
Not a huge fan of watching women’s football but it’s great for my daughter to have some positive female roles models. Someone on this thread has actually cited Sally Gunnell which shows there not a lot of athletes for girls to watch. Those grumbling should probably consider that it’s not necessary about them.

Some good points from many on here, but my main point is not about the quality on offer. Even if the women’s game was better than the men’s, I’d still support town and England (both men’s teams) because it’s tribal. The women’s game won’t ever mean anything for me (I’m 46 and those two teams, other than the health of my family, are next in line and mean the world to me).

I suspect the next generation will feel the same way.

I don’t doubt for a minute that the women’s game is getting better all the time.

Someone made a good point about female pundits too. Let’s make it quite clear, it’s purely box ticking. That Alex Scott is dreadful, but the scouse lass on Sky Sports is decent. Either way, I personally don’t feel they should be involved, just like I still have no idea why Dion Dublin was a summariser on the Women’s World Cup! That is ridiculous. It does work both ways.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 72
arryarryarry
November 21, 2021, 10:38pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +9,946
Gold Stars: 113
Quoted from Heisenberg

Some good points from many on here, but my main point is not about the quality on offer. Even if the women’s game was better than the men’s, I’d still support town and England (both men’s teams) because it’s tribal. The women’s game won’t ever mean anything for me (I’m 46 and those two teams, other than the health of my family, are next in line and mean the world to me).

I don’t doubt for a minute that the women’s game is getting better all the time.

Someone made a good point about female pundits too. Let’s make it quite clear, it’s purely box ticking. That Alex Scott is dreadful, but the scouse lass on Sky Sports is decent. Either way, I personally don’t feel they should be involved, just like I still have no idea why Dion Dublin was a summariser on the Women’s World Cup! That is ridiculous. It does work both ways.

Did it have anything to do with doing up houses?

Private Message
Reply: 41 - 72
MrFisherman
November 21, 2021, 11:00pm

Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Rep Score: +7 / -2
Approval: -168
Whys Dale Houston resigned??
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 72
Fillipe Noche
November 21, 2021, 11:32pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.63
Rep Score: +3 / -21
Approval: -5,112
Gold Stars: 103
So sorry to hear this. A really decent lad, that delivered what he said he would. Done a great job creating a women’s football offering for the club, and has been so successful.

Joking apart, whether you are fan of ladies football or not (and I’m not a big fan), I hope Dale is okay. In these days when things like physical and mental health issues keep popping up out of the blue, I hope things are okay for him and his family.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 72
MarinerWY
November 22, 2021, 12:30am

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +11 / -5
Approval: +1,938
Gold Stars: 45
Whether poeple like women's football or not (and I'm not going to get into whether it's a sexist opinion or not, as in itself it isn't, but some of the ways it's expressed can sometimes be)...

Some people will be interested in news about GTFC women's team (I am) and as our women's team becomes more established, we will have more news and more posts on this forum.

It's going to get very tiresome if every thread descends into a "I do/don't care about women's football" so maybe on the next thread about the women's team, if it's not your bag... just don't read it?
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 72
ska face
November 22, 2021, 3:51am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.20
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,337
Gold Stars: 820
Quoted from Heisenberg

Sounds very much like the kind of thing someone who’s nearly 50 would say.

Children don’t get into football “because it’s tribal”, they do it because they like certain players, kits, the experience of going, etc. Just now, a lot of that can be delivered by the women’s game and the whole thing isn’t served only by men, unlike when you were growing up nearly half a century ago.

How long has the women’s game had a massive profile - 18 months, 2 years? Bit early to be speaking on behalf of “the next generation”…
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 72
KingstonMariner
November 22, 2021, 8:40am
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.12
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Very good point Ska. And the implication of what Heisenberg said is that women aren’t part of the tribe.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 72
monkeyboy
November 22, 2021, 9:44am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +4 / -8
Approval: -174
Gold Stars: 26
i personally only watch it to see if any are fit, sorry sad i know but i bet im not the only one lol
Alex Morgan is a belter but from the brits alex greenwood is worth a poke lol.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 72
TinklerMan
November 22, 2021, 10:15am
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.05
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +168
Gold Stars: 10
Been along to watch the ladies play three matches this season, and me and the kids have really enjoyed it.  

I am very surprised to hear this news. From what I saw Dale looked to be doing a brilliant job and I was particularly impressed when observing him manage the team from the touchline.  By the looks of it, they were far more professionally run than what the visiting teams were. Flying at the top of the league too.

Really hope that he is okay as it's all a bit sudden. Hope too that the club are able to find someone that is able to carry on the with the progress for the ladies team.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 72
Heswall Mariner
November 22, 2021, 11:41am

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.66
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +580
Gold Stars: 30
Quoted from MrFisherman
Whys Dale Houston resigned??

It may well have come out of the blue for the club as well.
Presumably they will will be clarifying the situation soon.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 72
8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Women’s team

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.