8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
Heswall Mariner
November 22, 2021, 12:15pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.66
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +590
Gold Stars: 30
The top women's teams - Chelsea, Arsenal, Man City etc - play some  very good footy (Though Her Indoors has mooted that I am a bit of a perv for occasionally watching it - would you believe!!?).
However I have to agree with a previous post on here that I find women commentators/pundits  irritating.
This is not being sexist - the wife agrees with me.
In our opinion women in the main do not make good DJ's either - the timbre of their voices does not make for easy listening.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 72
Youngy
November 22, 2021, 12:16pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.22
Rep Score: +14 / -3
Approval: +1,665
Gold Stars: 9
IMO, it's not so much that all women's football is bad. But there is a massive gulf between the elite female footballers and the non elite. You only have to see some of the scores in the FA Cup, WPL teams were beating lower league teams by a minimum of 5 goals (with several scoring double figures).

I watched the Town team when they played at BP and enjoyed the game and more importantly my daughter enjoyed it (and that was the first team she'd really enjoyed a trip to BP). We are going to the England game at Doncaster next week and she's really excited for it.

And that's kind of the point isn't it? Women's football isn't targeted at long term football supporters. To sustain itself long term it has to be looking at a younger generation.

And as mentioned above, nobody is forcing anybody to like it or watch it. I never get the amount of 'women's football is s**t' posts whenever the subject is raised.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 72
psgmariner
November 22, 2021, 12:48pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.69
Rep Score: +39 / -15
Approval: +5,480
Gold Stars: 33
Quoted from Heswall Mariner

This is not being sexist - the wife agrees with me.

Bravo.  

Private Message
Reply: 52 - 72
TinklerMan
November 22, 2021, 1:40pm
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.04
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +168
Gold Stars: 10
Quoted from Youngy
IMO, it's not so much that all women's football is bad. But there is a massive gulf between the elite female footballers and the non elite. You only have to see some of the scores in the FA Cup, WPL teams were beating lower league teams by a minimum of 5 goals (with several scoring double figures).

I watched the Town team when they played at BP and enjoyed the game and more importantly my daughter enjoyed it (and that was the first team she'd really enjoyed a trip to BP). We are going to the England game at Doncaster next week and she's really excited for it.

And that's kind of the point isn't it? Women's football isn't targeted at long term football supporters. To sustain itself long term it has to be looking at a younger generation.

And as mentioned above, nobody is forcing anybody to like it or watch it. I never get the amount of 'women's football is s**t' posts whenever the subject is raised.

When did they play at Blundell Park please? Would like to watch them play there

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 72
LondonMariner43
November 22, 2021, 1:46pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.41
Rep Score: +19 / -4
Approval: +3,942
Gold Stars: 64
Quoted from Vance Warner
Not a huge fan of watching women’s football but it’s great for my daughter to have some positive female roles models. Someone on this thread has actually cited Sally Gunnell which shows there not a lot of athletes for girls to watch. Those grumbling should probably consider that it’s not necessary about them.

The UK probably has more world class female athletes now than at any time in history.  

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 72
LondonMariner43
November 22, 2021, 1:51pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.41
Rep Score: +19 / -4
Approval: +3,942
Gold Stars: 64
I wonder how many people are aware that in the years after WW1, women's football was on a level with the men's game and then it was banned by the FA.  It will take decades for it to recover years of lost ground and probably even longer when I read some of the views on this thread.  What a bizarre idea that commentators and pundits can only comment on games involving their own gender.  Try watching Wimbledon or the Olympics where there's male and female pundits and officials covering both genders.  

https://www.historyextra.com/p.....rr-ladies-lily-parr/
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 72
Youngy
November 22, 2021, 2:45pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.22
Rep Score: +14 / -3
Approval: +1,665
Gold Stars: 9
Quoted from TinklerMan

When did they play at Blundell Park please? Would like to watch them play there

https://youtu.be/ejl06TYytOE[youtube][/youtube]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 72
ginnywings
November 22, 2021, 8:49pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,112
Gold Stars: 548
Town apart, I can barely bring myself to watch men's footy, never mind women's.

I did watch a bit of MOTD on Sunday morning and have to say that the female commentator did my head in.

Gender aside, her voice set my teeth on edge and I turned it off.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 57 - 72
VinnyGTFC
November 24, 2021, 7:44am
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.09
Rep Score: +3 / -5
Approval: +125
Gold Stars: 20
Quoted from Hagrid

Thanks.

Nothing against the girls playing it, but its awful

Nothing against the girls playing it. Is the words of a mysogonist. I'm sure they are very grateful for your blessing.
Private Message
Reply: 58 - 72
VinnyGTFC
November 24, 2021, 7:47am
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.09
Rep Score: +3 / -5
Approval: +125
Gold Stars: 20
Quoted from Heisenberg

Some good points from many on here, but my main point is not about the quality on offer. Even if the women’s game was better than the men’s, I’d still support town and England (both men’s teams) because it’s tribal. The women’s game won’t ever mean anything for me (I’m 46 and those two teams, other than the health of my family, are next in line and mean the world to me).

I suspect the next generation will feel the same way.

I don’t doubt for a minute that the women’s game is getting better all the time.

Someone made a good point about female pundits too. Let’s make it quite clear, it’s purely box ticking. That Alex Scott is dreadful, but the scouse lass on Sky Sports is decent. Either way, I personally don’t feel they should be involved, just like I still have no idea why Dion Dublin was a summariser on the Women’s World Cup! That is ridiculous. It does work both ways.

THAT Alex Scott. Is Alex Scott. You didn't refer to Dion Dublin as THAT Dion Dublin.

Private Message
Reply: 59 - 72
8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Women’s team

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.