Scenes on toast
September 14, 2021, 11:09pm
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +393
Gold Stars: 2
Quoted from promotion plaice

Great atmosphere and result and well played to all the lads but the unsung hero tonight for me was Towler, what a player, way above our level, we are lucky to have him.

This in Spades. The work rate tonite was unreal, we have to keep Towler all season.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 112
PB
September 14, 2021, 11:11pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Rep Score: +1 / -1
Approval: +256
Gold Stars: 3
This was the first match I’ve been able to get to this season, and boy oh boy am I impressed. This team is skilful, entertaining and confident. They play for each other and seem to have clicked as a unit.
I can’t give a MOM as there were several fine performances. I’m not getting carried away, but the smiles around BP were a joy, and something I’ve not seen for years.
I don’t want to say anything negative after a great evening but..... we have one area for improvement. Between the sticks. Sorry but Macca is a worry with his flapping and now distinct lack of confidence under any pressure. He nearly cost us again with a moment of madness around the hour mark.
Anyway upwards on onwards.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 112
Maringer
September 14, 2021, 11:23pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,621
Gold Stars: 185
I think I'd say Taylor was my man of the match as, despite the goal, he was just excellent at holding the ball and retaining possession. They had two men on him for pretty much every throw in but he still won the ball more often than not. Great forward play and I've barely seen one of our strikers get across in front of the defender at the near post to score in recent years. That's twice in two home games for Taylor now!

I thought McAtee struggled to get on the ball and wasn't as effective as in the previous two games, but he still put in an excellent shift so no complaints at all.

The young lad Towler looks to have the knack of being in the right place at the right time mostly which is a hell of a knack to have for a defender. He was rarely stretching or lunging for the ball and he complemented Waterfall really well. Both Efete and Crookes are strong in the air as well so we're a team who look well-suited to defend against opponents who like to launch the ball into the box as often as possible, which is quite a few of them in this division.

A much better start to the season than I could have hoped for so long may it continue!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 112
Bignic69
September 14, 2021, 11:24pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.09
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +540
Gold Stars: 5
Quoted from promotion plaice

Great atmosphere and result and well played to all the lads but the unsung hero tonight for me was Towler, what a player, way above our level, we are lucky to have him.

Said this throughout tonight, never put a foot wrong and what he did well he did effortlessly, you can see why Bristol have just given him a new contract

Back of the net
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 112
heppy88
September 14, 2021, 11:26pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.26
Rep Score: +11 / 0
Approval: +3,079
Gold Stars: 40
Quoted from PB

I don’t want to say anything negative…..

Then don’t!! FFS it’s as if you can’t help but have to have someone to criticise. There will always be a player who appears not to be up to scratch. But the bar is much higher with this team. We haven’t lost a match, we’ve just convincingly beaten one of the favourites and a player has to be singled out for criticism. Joke.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 112
psgmariner
September 14, 2021, 11:29pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.69
Rep Score: +39 / -15
Approval: +5,480
Gold Stars: 33
My first game (except Boston friendly) and loved it. Good atmosphere and a very impressive performance. Two centre backs were excellent and thought Clifton did very well in whatever position he was meant to playing.

Didn’t see much controversial about their goal.

Private Message
Reply: 25 - 112
Mikey_345
September 14, 2021, 11:30pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +12 / -1
Approval: +5,500
Gold Stars: 107
What a start, absolutely chuffed with that!

Sign of a good team - coming from behind and goals coming from all over the park.

Roll on Saturday

UTM

All Town aren’t we

@GTFCLondon

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 112
Mariner_501
September 14, 2021, 11:30pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +14 / -8
Approval: +224
Gold Stars: 28
Basically impossible to choose a MOTM because there were about five of them. What a team
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 112
TAGG
September 14, 2021, 11:36pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +26 / -27
Approval: +2,940
Gold Stars: 126
Quoted from PB
This was the first match I’ve been able to get to this season, and boy oh boy am I impressed. This team is skilful, entertaining and confident. They play for each other and seem to have clicked as a unit.
I can’t give a MOM as there were several fine performances. I’m not getting carried away, but the smiles around BP were a joy, and something I’ve not seen for years.
I don’t want to say anything negative after a great evening but..... we have one area for improvement. Between the sticks. Sorry but Macca is a worry with his flapping and now distinct lack of confidence under any pressure. He nearly cost us again with a moment of madness around the hour mark.
Anyway upwards on onwards.

FFS not another one.
Did what he had to do.
No chance with the goal.

FFS why?????

In his three stints as Grimsby Town manager spanning over 10 years the club was never relegated and he also guided them to three promotions.
Only 14 managers have reached 1,000 matches in charge of a Football League team by 1998 and Buckley is one of them.
GOD
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 112
NorthLondonMariner
September 14, 2021, 11:40pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.11
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +415
Gold Stars: 7
The last time I can remember an atmosphere like that at BP, the ponny, lower, and corners were still all terracing. Even the main stand was singing tonight. COMEEEEEEEE ON TOWN!!! UTM!!  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 112
12 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just back

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.