Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: Oly1987, September 14, 2021, 10:09pm
had to leave 5 mins early to miss the traffic and get to work on time so missed the 3rd goal but another fantastic result for Town and the ground was absolutely buzzing when the 1st and 2nd went in. We tired in the second half and it showed but that was due to the hard work done in the first half. Referee was typically shocking but we are managing to get results despite that. Roll on Saturday will be there again and hopefully riding another wave of optimism. UTMM!
Posted by: mimma, September 14, 2021, 10:21pm; Reply: 1
Their goal was down to the ref, shocking decision.  First was a brilliant  first time ball for Sousa to hit back across the goal and Taylor did brilliantly the get in front of the defender to slide it in. Second a bullet corner to the edge of the box and Waterfall run onto it to power into the top corner. Max harried the center half onthe halfway line, the ballreboanded off him and he showed the center half a clean pair of heels to round the keeper. Three brilliant goals.

Can't ever remember a team like we have now, playing for each other chasing and carrying. They played their part in a pulsating game and look a good side but we matched them. Roll on Saturday!!!
Posted by: ginnywings, September 14, 2021, 10:26pm; Reply: 2
Get the intercourse in.

We beat them by sheer force of will. Prime example being McAtee chasing another lot cause, which led to a corner from which Waterfall put us in front. First goal was a lightning break from Sousa, great cross to the near post and another great finish from Taylor.

We tired second half and that's where our lack of strikers came to the fore. We needed to bring Taylor off but had no-one to replace him.

They had all the possession but didn't do much with it and Macca barely had a save to make. They looked to me like a side tat thought they just have to turn up to win but we just ground them down. The third scored by Max nearly lifted the roof off.

Thought Towler looked very good and Sousa ran them ragged before going off spent. Harry never stopped running and McAtee was his usual bundle of energy. Hunt and Coke are building a very good partnership in the middle. Waterfall looks reborn. Goals from all over the team.

The positivity around the place is a million miles from the aura of negativity that's been around the club for years.

Something is building down at BP. Roll on Saturday
Posted by: ginnywings, September 14, 2021, 10:30pm; Reply: 3
Forgot to say that I thought the contentious tackle in the build up to their goal looked fine from where I was sat. He looked like he won the ball cleanly to me, but we hesitated waiting for a free kick that didn't come.
Posted by: MuddyWaters, September 14, 2021, 10:30pm; Reply: 4
Great team performance. Alex Hunt is pure quality but MoM has to be the reborn Luke Waterfall. Sensational.
Posted by: chipsandgravy, September 14, 2021, 10:30pm; Reply: 5
You have to hand it to Hurst. He got rid of the deadwood and built what looks like a great team spirit just like he did last time.
I know its easy to say when we've won but I have no doubt that that spirit will be invaluable on days when it doesn't go our way. UTM
Posted by: blundellpork, September 14, 2021, 10:34pm; Reply: 6
Quoted from ginnywings
Forgot to say that I thought the contentious tackle in the build up to their goal looked fine from where I was sat. He looked like he won the ball cleanly to me, but we hesitated waiting for a free kick that didn't come.

Agree. It looked a fair but firm challenge to me too. They took their goal well, whilst we paused expecting the whistle to go.
Posted by: Germo66, September 14, 2021, 10:34pm; Reply: 7
Boy did I enjoy that, it was like the Mariners of old. Well done lads you got the result your effort deserved
Posted by: moosey_club, September 14, 2021, 10:40pm; Reply: 8
Almost a carbon copy of Saturday, one down, fight back, sit back and get another on the break.

Not the prettiest but as I said after Saturday, this team has spirit and everyman worked his socks off for the team.100% effort, commitment and belief.

Hollywood ....you are having a laugh.

UTM
Posted by: promotion plaice, September 14, 2021, 10:42pm; Reply: 9

Great atmosphere and result and well played to all the lads but the unsung hero tonight for me was Towler, what a player, way above our level, we are lucky to have him.
Posted by: aldi_01, September 14, 2021, 10:44pm; Reply: 10
So that’s another side that’s spent big and barely laid a glove on us. For all their possession and huff and puff I don’t really remember Macca having to make a save second half.

Special note to the over paid Tozer…not only are his long throws boring and ineffective, especially tonight but calling out your mate after having a excrement game yourself is golden…in front of the home fans…

Their goal will be debated for a while, had we lost I’d be fuming but I’m not arsed now, the ref was odd though.

Waterfall looks like a man reborn and Hunt is definitely a classy player. Mcatee is off his nut and the crowd love him.

Such a pleasure to go down the park and actually feel connected the players and the club. Tickets will be gold dust for Saturday…
Posted by: hampshiremariner, September 14, 2021, 10:52pm; Reply: 11
After all the bad times it is really refreshing to read these positive comments. We’ve made a good start and let’s hope the lads can continue their good form.
Posted by: Meza, September 14, 2021, 10:54pm; Reply: 12
dont know about you guys but i feel like this right now

[tweet]1437878096410071043[/tweet]
Posted by: jamesgtfc, September 14, 2021, 10:54pm; Reply: 13
I think most of us were bemused when Waterfall, our worst ball playing defender at the time, was given a contract extension by a manager who expected the team to play it out from the back all the time.

His confidence was probably shot and he needed the season to end so that he could mentally switch off and come back to give it another go.

Waterfall is a no nonsense centre half who isn't afraid to put his head where it hurts and fair play to him for taking his chance this season.
Posted by: Badger57, September 14, 2021, 10:56pm; Reply: 14
We've got ourselves a good side haven't we? 😁
Posted by: KingstonMariner, September 14, 2021, 10:57pm; Reply: 15
I’m buzzing. I wanna go out. Anyone fancy going down Tiffs for a few late drinks 😄
Posted by: mimma, September 14, 2021, 10:58pm; Reply: 16
Just like to say the pizza cobs are delicious 😋
Posted by: jonnyboy82, September 14, 2021, 10:59pm; Reply: 17
Can I just give a special shout out to luke waterfall, he was immense.

Looks a different player from last season, gonna be hard to find a better defender in this league on his performances so far this season.

Absolutely fantastic from the whole team, the new lad at the back looks a player, composed and looks quality for us.

Tonight puts what that fraud Holloway left paul Hurst last season to shame, everyone worked so hard. Exciting times

UTM.
Posted by: headingly_mariner, September 14, 2021, 11:03pm; Reply: 18
What a fine performance, easily the better side and we just had too much for them.

They’ve got some really good players but lack a real method other than lumping it. They don’t look like a team and we put them to shame.

Great effort
Posted by: lew chaterleys lover, September 14, 2021, 11:05pm; Reply: 19
Wow. Absolutely incredible from all concerned. The team, the fans, the owners and everyone who loves GTFC and shares our passion must be absolutely overjoyed.

To get relegated to non-league again really knocked the stuffing out of some long-standing fans including me, and I had no idea who these players were that Hurst signed, but I sure know them now. An absolute credit to their profession, they are the best team seen at BP for many a year.

The togetherness, the fight and determination and the skill levels are far beyond the NL and for Hurst to get them playing like that deserves the utmost praise.

We really have got our club back in spades, and to see every single Town fan in the ground right behind the team is an absolute joy. Fantastic stuff.

As for the game, they were good, but we had too much for them and the best team deservedly won.
Posted by: Scenes on toast, September 14, 2021, 11:09pm; Reply: 20
Quoted from promotion plaice

Great atmosphere and result and well played to all the lads but the unsung hero tonight for me was Towler, what a player, way above our level, we are lucky to have him.

This in Spades. The work rate tonite was unreal, we have to keep Towler all season.
Posted by: PB, September 14, 2021, 11:11pm; Reply: 21
This was the first match I’ve been able to get to this season, and boy oh boy am I impressed. This team is skilful, entertaining and confident. They play for each other and seem to have clicked as a unit.
I can’t give a MOM as there were several fine performances. I’m not getting carried away, but the smiles around BP were a joy, and something I’ve not seen for years.
I don’t want to say anything negative after a great evening but..... we have one area for improvement. Between the sticks. Sorry but Macca is a worry with his flapping and now distinct lack of confidence under any pressure. He nearly cost us again with a moment of madness around the hour mark.
Anyway upwards on onwards.
Posted by: Maringer, September 14, 2021, 11:23pm; Reply: 22
I think I'd say Taylor was my man of the match as, despite the goal, he was just excellent at holding the ball and retaining possession. They had two men on him for pretty much every throw in but he still won the ball more often than not. Great forward play and I've barely seen one of our strikers get across in front of the defender at the near post to score in recent years. That's twice in two home games for Taylor now!

I thought McAtee struggled to get on the ball and wasn't as effective as in the previous two games, but he still put in an excellent shift so no complaints at all.

The young lad Towler looks to have the knack of being in the right place at the right time mostly which is a hell of a knack to have for a defender. He was rarely stretching or lunging for the ball and he complemented Waterfall really well. Both Efete and Crookes are strong in the air as well so we're a team who look well-suited to defend against opponents who like to launch the ball into the box as often as possible, which is quite a few of them in this division.

A much better start to the season than I could have hoped for so long may it continue!
Posted by: Bignic69, September 14, 2021, 11:24pm; Reply: 23
Quoted from promotion plaice

Said this throughout tonight, never put a foot wrong and what he did well he did effortlessly, you can see why Bristol have just given him a new contract
Posted by: heppy88, September 14, 2021, 11:26pm; Reply: 24
Quoted from PB

I don’t want to say anything negative…..

Then don’t!! FFS it’s as if you can’t help but have to have someone to criticise. There will always be a player who appears not to be up to scratch. But the bar is much higher with this team. We haven’t lost a match, we’ve just convincingly beaten one of the favourites and a player has to be singled out for criticism. Joke.

Posted by: psgmariner, September 14, 2021, 11:29pm; Reply: 25
My first game (except Boston friendly) and loved it. Good atmosphere and a very impressive performance. Two centre backs were excellent and thought Clifton did very well in whatever position he was meant to playing.

Didn’t see much controversial about their goal.
Posted by: Mikey_345, September 14, 2021, 11:30pm; Reply: 26
What a start, absolutely chuffed with that!

Sign of a good team - coming from behind and goals coming from all over the park.

Roll on Saturday

UTM
Posted by: Mariner_501, September 14, 2021, 11:30pm; Reply: 27
Basically impossible to choose a MOTM because there were about five of them. What a team
Posted by: TAGG, September 14, 2021, 11:36pm; Reply: 28
Quoted from PB
This was the first match I’ve been able to get to this season, and boy oh boy am I impressed. This team is skilful, entertaining and confident. They play for each other and seem to have clicked as a unit.
I can’t give a MOM as there were several fine performances. I’m not getting carried away, but the smiles around BP were a joy, and something I’ve not seen for years.
I don’t want to say anything negative after a great evening but..... we have one area for improvement. Between the sticks. Sorry but Macca is a worry with his flapping and now distinct lack of confidence under any pressure. He nearly cost us again with a moment of madness around the hour mark.
Anyway upwards on onwards.

FFS not another one.
Did what he had to do.
No chance with the goal.

FFS why?????
Posted by: NorthLondonMariner, September 14, 2021, 11:40pm; Reply: 29
The last time I can remember an atmosphere like that at BP, the ponny, lower, and corners were still all terracing. Even the main stand was singing tonight. COMEEEEEEEE ON TOWN!!! UTM!!  :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)
Posted by: toontown, September 14, 2021, 11:40pm; Reply: 30
This isn't supposed to happen! Town always blow it when  we get a head of steam up and attract a big crowd to BP. Well not this time, fantastic team performance, looked the more dangerous of two good sides, both being positive but we steam rollered them a bit by creating more out of the possession we had and we got the goals from the better chances we created.

Three times on the trot we've been behind and come back to win.

Three times on the trot we've scored in the 90th.

All round fantastic team performance that should get people coming back for more. I have been soo looking forward to this game, I really have started to feel optimistic, but couldn't help but worry we'd be let down  again. I shouldn't have.

Taylor my mom but so.e great performances from hunt, Coke, waterfall, towler amongst others. Pearson and Longe-king will have a he'll of a job getting their places back but that's a nice problem to have.

Hurst was loving it at the end, the atmosphere was great, its flipping brilliant being a town fan again!

Only two concerns - taylor looked to take a knock late on but obviously couldn't go off as we have nobody. That's a worry. We definitely need someone in sharpish if lenny isn't back for Saturday or else we will be foolishly running taylor into the ground, he is 33 and will need managing at times.

The other is just that hunt and tower are only on loans until Xmas, they're not our players, get them signed up for the season if we can. I think somebody mentioned his agent was on humberside saying a season long loan could be potentially on the table - geddit done!
Posted by: mariner91, September 14, 2021, 11:42pm; Reply: 31
Taylor is excellent. Such an intelligent forward and gives us a really composed figure to aim for in our attacks.

And I would like to say on record how wrong I was about Waterfall being a spent force. He was superb. My apologies Luke.

If they're likely to be up there then we have nothing to fear. Players to come back, momentum building and an air of real positivity around the place. I think we could be on to something good.
Posted by: Lincoln Mariner 56, September 14, 2021, 11:42pm; Reply: 32
Three quality goals all from different situations, great creativity for the first, brilliant dead ball for the second and tenacity for the third. Thought we were very good first half but second half we struggled to hold the ball up in their half so had less possession but despite this they still created very little with the only scare coming from Macca’s flap but two great blocks by Crookes, who improves with every game, saw off the danger.

For me winning when your not quite at the races for the full match is the sign of a very good side and it’s great when our better players like McAtee are slightly below their best that others are more than capable of standing up and delivering quality performances. Work rate from all of our players was outstanding.
Posted by: Mariner_09, September 14, 2021, 11:47pm; Reply: 33
We definitely deserved to win the game, although I think they’ll win a lot of games this season. They knocked it around quite well although never really properly threatened us, aside from those 2 blocks by Crookes. Macca didn’t really have to make a save. I’m still stunned he didn’t blow for a foul on Taylor, given how he blew up at every opportunity and handed out cheap bookings all night it was all the more remarkable he didn’t give that.

I thought Waterfall was excellent. He’s certainly benefited from the close season and being able to reset, plus getting a proper pre season in under a decent manager. He’s also well suited to the Conference with his style. I agree with the consensus re Towler, he looks a cut above and I like that he’s left footed, the side has good balance. I really like Taylor, he’s very clever and knows how to use his body to win headers and hold the ball up, he’s crucial to allowing McAtee and Sousa thrive.

I thought Crookes was poor against Stockport but has incrementally improved since and looks like a solid player. I also thought Coke had his best game of the season by a long way. He played nicely and kept things ticking over.

It’s great that we have the belief and resilience to keep on coming from behind, also aided by the fact we have a goal in us now, and they’re coming from all over the pitch in any manner of ways. However, we will need to stop falling behind.

Reality is tonight is a great result but the nature of this league is we have to now beat Eastleigh on Saturday, at least they aren’t searching for their first win of the season on Saturday. I’m sure we can manage another home sell out and I think the way the fans are sticking with the team when we go behind is making BP harder for oppositions to play at.
Posted by: mariner91, September 14, 2021, 11:51pm; Reply: 34
Quoted from Mariner_09
We definitely deserved to win the game, although I think they’ll win a lot of games this season. They knocked it around quite well although never really properly threatened us, aside from those 2 blocks by Crookes. Macca didn’t really have to make a save. I’m still stunned he didn’t blow for a foul on Taylor, given how he blew up at every opportunity and handed out cheap bookings all night it was all the more remarkable he didn’t give that.

Did they? Other than a ten minute spell in the second half where we had visibly tired it looked to me like they just launched it 90% of the time. Clearly have some quality players in forward positions but there's no obvious teamwork or plan involved. If that's as good as they can produce given the astounding amounts they're spending then I'd be wanting a refund if I was Ryan Reynolds. But then at the same time, if I was Ryan Reynolds I'd just get in bed next to Blake Lively and probably not care too much about a fifth division match the other side of the Atlantic.
Posted by: Brazilnut, September 14, 2021, 11:54pm; Reply: 35
Mcateer chasing down  goalkeeper clearance from half way line says everything about team spirit
Posted by: ginnywings, September 14, 2021, 11:54pm; Reply: 36
Quoted from toontown
This isn't supposed to happen! Town always blow it when  we get a head of steam up and attract a big crowd to BP. Well not this time, fantastic team performance, looked the more dangerous of two good sides, both being positive but we steam rollered them a bit by creating more out of the possession we had and we got the goals from the better chances we created.

All round fantastic team performance that should get people coming back for more. I have been soo looking forward to this game, I really have started to feel optimistic, but couldn't help but worry we'd be let down  again. I shouldn't have.

Taylor my mom but so.e great performances from hunt, Coke, waterfall, towler amongst others. Pearson and Longe-king will have a he'll of a job getting their places back but that's a nice problem to have.

Hurst was loving it at the end, the atmosphere was great, its flipping brilliant being a town fan again!

Only two concerns - taylor looked to take a knock late on but obviously couldn't go off as we have nobody. That's a worry. We definitely need someone in sharpish if lenny isn't back for Saturday or else we will be foolishly running taylor into the ground, he is 33 and will need managing at times.

The other is just that hunt and tower are only on loans until Xmas, they're not our players, get them signed up for the season if we can. I think somebody mentioned his agent was on humberside saying a season long loan could be potentially on the table - geddit done!

Teams that go places always score a good proportion of late goals, turning defeats into draws, draws into wins, or putting the game to bed.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, September 15, 2021, 12:01am; Reply: 37
Quoted from toontown

I love this post. Full of humility. Sharing the doubt we all share. We’ve been there too many times. Knocked back too many times to allow ourselves to be optimistic. And full of the joy from having our doubts happily swept away. And then you throw in some calm analysis too. Love it!
Posted by: Tommy, September 15, 2021, 12:01am; Reply: 38
Cracking night.

I thought Wrexham started well but our reaction to going a goal down was excellent (again). The work rate of our front 2 and midfield was unreal, led by McAtee who put them under a lot of pressure just through sheer work rate and desire.

The equaliser was a brilliant goal, attacking move at a great tempo and a tidy finish. I'm a big fan of Taylor, very much in the Gary Jones mould. Very intelligent player and technically very good too. Got the brauns of Lenny but got the technical ability too.

Second half passed by without any incident really didn't it. Wrexham came out and played at a higher tempo, as you'd expect, for about 5 minutes. But it wasn't long before they were just running out of ideas and hoping one of the long-throws would give them a chance. Our back 4 were dealing with their high balls forward and plenty others just drifted out of play harmlessly. Wrexham had a lot of the ball in their back line 2nd half because they had the extra man that McAtee/Taylor couldn't cover, but there was nothing dangerous. But while there's only one goal in it, they're always in with a chance as it only takes one ball slung in our box to create a chance.

Then just as the board goes up to say 5 minutes of injury time we go and seal it with a good individual effort from Max. Reminiscent of his goal away at Morecambe first game of the season a couple of years ago. Could have been a very nerve-racking last 5 minutes had he not stuck that away.

Great atmosphere around the place at the moment. Big step forward tonight in beating one of the fancied teams, which should give the players some real belief if they didn't have it already.
Posted by: sydney, September 15, 2021, 12:04am; Reply: 39
Great Night at BP- Fabulous Performance
Club and New Owners deserve a sell out and a night like that.
Wrexham best side seen so far and we matched them, wore them down, and beat them, deservedly..
Eastleigh is still as big a game sat, important we build on this result with a win against a less glamorous side..
Come on Town!!
Posted by: Withnail, September 15, 2021, 12:06am; Reply: 40
Quoted from MuddyWaters
Great team performance. Alex Hunt is pure quality but MoM has to be the reborn Luke Waterfall. Sensational.

Waterfall. Bye Bye Badman. I am the Resurrection. I Wanna Be Adored.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, September 15, 2021, 12:07am; Reply: 41
Interesting to read that you thought the second half passed without incident Tommy. It felt much less calm listening to the commentary. Obviously you were there so had a better idea than us listening to JT.
Posted by: Maringer, September 15, 2021, 12:11am; Reply: 42
They had a 10 minute spell during the second half where they got too much of the ball, put some awkward crosses into the box and left McKeown flapping, but it didn't really come to anything as the defenders did their job and Wrexham weren't able to build up a head of steam, even though we were obviously tired. I was expecting more from Wrexham, truth be told, but it's not often that I've seen us able to run down the clock in a relatively relaxed manner like that.
Posted by: Tommy, September 15, 2021, 12:13am; Reply: 43
Quoted from KingstonMariner
Interesting to read that you thought the second half passed without incident Tommy. It felt much less calm listening to the commentary. Obviously you were there so had a better idea than us listening to JT.

Yeah, it wasn't that it was boring, and there were plenty of times were Wrexham put crosses into our box. But our defence stood up to all of it. And other than a couple of great blocks by Crookes (i think), they didn't have a chance 2nd half and Macca didnt have a save to make that I can remember.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, September 15, 2021, 12:15am; Reply: 44
Quoted from Tommy

Yeah, it wasn't that it was boring, and there were plenty of times were Wrexham put crosses into our box. But our defence stood up to all of it. And other than a couple of great blocks by Crookes (i think), they didn't have a chance 2nd half and Macca didnt have a save to make that I can remember.

👍
Posted by: lee65, September 15, 2021, 12:16am; Reply: 45
Quoted from Withnail

Waterfall. Bye Bye Badman. I am the Resurrection. I Wanna Be Adored.

Ahead of his goal he walked forward talking to Hunt, arm around his shoulder, obviously suggesting where to put the corner, and the great thing about Hunt is he’s good enough to do it  :)

Excellent guidance from the experienced old hand
Posted by: forza ivano, September 15, 2021, 12:16am; Reply: 46
great thread this - so many good points and truisms in it

let's not (and this mainly means us the fans) get complacent and expect to be rolling over the 'smaller' teams. We had 6 years of regular embarrassments which should be a lesson to us. Every game we stay unbeaten the more of  a target we become and all the more teams will start to just shut up shop
Posted by: ex-merseymariner, September 15, 2021, 12:17am; Reply: 47
[quote=697] Wrexham had a lot of the ball in their back line 2nd half because they had the extra man that McAtee/Taylor couldn't cover, but there was nothing dangerous. But while there's only one goal in it, they're always in with a chance /quote]

Yeah they used to have a good centre half, think he left in the summer, Shaun someone 🙂....

I was more scored of the ref than Wrexham, although Crookes' block was pretty awesome as it looked like they'd found a way through.

Posted by: HerveJosse, September 15, 2021, 12:18am; Reply: 48
Mcatee reminds me of Cantona , the class ,where he plays on the pitch and the outside of the boot half volley passes. Also transformed by a 30 mile journey down the motorway.
Posted by: Poojah, September 15, 2021, 12:21am; Reply: 49
Meet GTFC, the dirty bìtch of the National League. We just fúcking love taking it from behind.

*Will add something more constructive tomorrow. Near two hour drive home and need to sink a couple of beers to calm down after that.
Posted by: forza ivano, September 15, 2021, 12:46am; Reply: 50
no sour grapes from our Welsh chums then? (taken from Red Passion)

Awful tonight. Cleworth unfortunately had a shocker first half, they targetted him. Our goal came completely against the run of play.
Whole midfield individually were dreadful. Did we win a single second ball?

Taking Hyde off a huge mistake. Barely touched the ball in their half afterwards.

We’ll be fine, we were due a reality check one day. Just crap that it was against a bang average side.
Posted by: marinerrick, September 15, 2021, 3:54am; Reply: 51
The tackle leading to there goal wasn't a bad tackle it was the aftermath when the Wrexham player swung a boot at the town player on the ground after ball had long gone was the issue. Stellar performance from the boys tonight though, I can't remember the last time BP was rocking as much as it did last night. Makes the rush about at work all worth it. Parking lorrybup at 1830 after 14 hour day and then 4 hours kip before going out again today seem all worth while  looking forward to many more good games and gates but understand we can't win everything. UTM
Posted by: Bignic69, September 15, 2021, 7:38am; Reply: 52
Quoted from lee65

Ahead of his goal he walked forward talking to Hunt, arm around his shoulder, obviously suggesting where to put the corner, and the great thing about Hunt is he’s good enough to do it  :)

Excellent guidance from the experienced old hand

Looks like something they’ve worked on, Waterfall had an almost identical header a bit earlier that he glanced wide, from the same side corner if I recall
Posted by: toontown, September 15, 2021, 7:47am; Reply: 53
Quoted from Bignic69

Looks like something they’ve worked on, Waterfall had an almost identical header a bit earlier that he glanced wide, from the same side corner if I recall

Think that was a free kick rather than a corner but yeah
Posted by: jamesgtfc, September 15, 2021, 8:00am; Reply: 54

There is a reason teams go route one in the dying embers of a game when they are losing.

Second half especially, it felt like the ball was in our half a lot more as their defenders got the ball near the halfway line and launched it towards the box. It only takes one of them to fall kindly and it's 2-2. Despite the long balls into our box, they only had 3 corners which shows how well we dealt with it. Their long balls should have got the equaliser when McKeown came for the ball and didn't get it but Crookes threw himself in front of their shots; twice!

Huge sigh of relief when the third went in. Absolutely no fear from Max as he ran towards goal and great composure to round the keeper. I was expecting him to shoot before the keeper providing their defender didn't haul him down.

Totally different test on Saturday. If Wrexham get the better of Dag & Red, we could go top with a win!
Posted by: Maringer, September 15, 2021, 8:11am; Reply: 55
I was pleased that Max went around the keeper as well. It's become the modern day thing that players attempt to beat the keeper with a shot rather than movement (probably because they've been watching more skilful players do it in the Premier League since they were kids) and on many occasions, it is much easier to go around them. With Sousa playing as he is, I don't think we'll see Max have too many starts, but having a good impact as a sub is just as helpful to the team.
Posted by: RobDef1, September 15, 2021, 8:24am; Reply: 56
Woke up this morning just as happy as last night. What a performance. What a team. Finally we have 11 lads on the pitch all playing for each other and I struggle to pick out a MOM or a criticism which goes to show how much of a combined effort it was. Leaving the ground last night I felt like I could have walked home (back to Scunthorpe). Before leaving me and a relative were at the top of the Findus stairs just looking at each other in disbelief. After so many years of utter depression its hard to take in how amazing the feeling around the place currently is.

First goal shows the partnerships being built around the team. Mcatee leaving the ball to run through to a steam train Sousa was a joy to watch, first time ball, Taylor is there, it was beautiful. Second goal I got a bit excited at how well Hunt hit that corner so was ecstatic to see Waterfall climb and nod it into the back of the net. validating my shout of 'WHAT A F***ING BALL!!' ;D ;D Third goal put the icing on the cake and was exactly what we brought max on to do.

If you haven't been to BP yet this season, please get yourself and anyone you can bring with you down if you can. Its a sight to behold. Also I genuinely think last night is the loudest I've heard the upper in 20 odd years supporting town. Everything has changed, we are all pulling in the same direction. its an absolute joy to be a part of. Thankyou Jason, Andrew, Paul, the players and the rest of us fans ::)
Posted by: chaos33, September 15, 2021, 8:29am; Reply: 57
Does anyone know when BT show highlights of midweek NL games?
Posted by: Jarmo.Is.God, September 15, 2021, 8:30am; Reply: 58
When was the last time we had someone that could actually take a decent corner?

The way he glides it in, just above the front man, and with pace on it, is a dream to attack for defenders like ours.

As i said after Weymouth, Hurst has turned Clifton into more than just 'on of our own', he's actually a very good player at this level.

I was sceptical of the signing of Taylor to be totally honest.
He then got injured straight away.... here we go
But intercourse me, he's put me down very quickly, love him!

The best thing about this start for me, is Hurst,
Amazing what happens when he gets backed by 'proper' owners....

Built a team, not a squad of individuals (like many others in this league)
None have come with a 'big name' or a 'reputation' of being a big player at this level.

Very very early days.
But Notts county and Chesterfield have good squads, and all of us will be higher than Wrexham & Stockport, who have good individuals (apparently)
Posted by: headingly_mariner, September 15, 2021, 8:52am; Reply: 59
Quoted from forza ivano
no sour grapes from our Welsh chums then? (taken from Red Passion)

Awful tonight. Cleworth unfortunately had a shocker first half, they targetted him. Our goal came completely against the run of play.
Whole midfield individually were dreadful. Did we win a single second ball?

Taking Hyde off a huge mistake. Barely touched the ball in their half afterwards.

We’ll be fine, we were due a reality check one day. Just crap that it was against a bang average side.

Imagine spending all that money to end up with a disjointed, long ball, lump it side. They’ll bin Parkinson before Christmas and probably finish strong.
Posted by: A Brace Of Tees, September 15, 2021, 9:13am; Reply: 60
As several have said, Waterfall is one who I thought would be shown the door in the close season but I take my hat off to him - he's a man transformed and was magnificent last night. His calm defending, simple distribution and an absolutely cracking goal made him man of the match.

And I'd like to put in a word for Sousa who terrorised their defence all night until his substitution - the move leading to that first goal was sublime and hasn't been seen since the Buckley days.

12 months ago we had a bunch of players who couldn't care less, randomly thrown together by a lunatic. Now we have a proper team which not only works its socks off, but has genuine talent.

So pleased for the players and manager who are clearly on a mission. I haven't seen or heard BP rocking like that for many many years!
Posted by: Abdul19, September 15, 2021, 9:20am; Reply: 61
Brilliant game, hadn't enjoyed one that much for christ knows how long. The loanees are so far removed from the ones we had a year ago - for Hunt and Towler to come in from essentially kids football and look so comfortable so quickly shows both how good they are, and how good our setup is now.

Taylor's getting across the defender at the near post goals remind me of Giroud, except that he's better looking, obvs.
Posted by: IrishMariner, September 15, 2021, 9:21am; Reply: 62
Quoted from Abdul19
Brilliant game, hadn't enjoyed one that much for christ knows how long. The loanees are so far removed from the ones we had a year ago - for Hunt and Towler to come in from essentially kids football and look so comfortable so quickly shows both how good they are, and how good our setup is now.

Taylor's getting across the defender at the near post goals remind me of Giroud, except that he's better looking, obvs.

Taylor or Giroud is better looking? 😉
Posted by: Hagrid, September 15, 2021, 9:33am; Reply: 63
Quoted from IrishMariner

Taylor or Giroud is better looking? 😉

i think giroud could turn a big hairy wizard like myself  ;)
Posted by: 123614 (Guest), September 15, 2021, 10:15am; Reply: 64
Does anyone know where we can see the highlights of this game, or even just the goals?
Posted by: Hagrid, September 15, 2021, 10:19am; Reply: 65
Quoted from 123614
Does anyone know where we can see the highlights of this game, or even just the goals?

think they are released on Thursday?
Posted by: acko338, September 15, 2021, 10:21am; Reply: 66
I think there must be a motto displayed somewhere saying - "Remember Braintree " - and all opponents are being respected  plotted against, then outplayed.

TEAM - Wonderful descriptive word that is so easily used in many posts now.

If Paul Hurst can pick out an up and coming striker with the same team spirit and ethics, we'll have a side and a half !!
Posted by: Maringer, September 15, 2021, 10:29am; Reply: 67
To be fair, our two available forwards have scored 5 goals between them in the first 5 games, which isn't bad going, especially as Taylor wasn't properly fit at the start of the season! I'd take a goal a game from our forwards for the rest of the season. Obviously, we still need another 'body in the building' to cover and help them but I'm not sure there would be too many players who could step into the team with the way we're playing at present.
Posted by: diehardmariner, September 15, 2021, 10:30am; Reply: 68
It was just ace wasn't it?

From front to back we defended like lions.  Workrate is incredible and I'm struggling to remember a side that looked as together as this one, even going back to the Hurst teams of 2015 and 2016.  Not just in terms of fighting for each other but in how they compliment each other in the system.

It's still early days in the season but this really, really feels like something special is brewing quite rapidly.   Oh and we're apparently still a No 9 short...
Posted by: acko338, September 15, 2021, 10:58am; Reply: 69
Next signing - Perhaps a young forward may want to join on loan to a winning side with many available chances to score and their club would have a chance to assess potential.

That will also give us chance to rest the more "mature" forwards with the amount of games coming up.

Paul Hurst can then plan out his 7 or 8 formations to suit opponents and ground conditions.

Question - how many Astro pitches are still in use in this league now Sutton have gone up?
Posted by: Tommy, September 15, 2021, 11:01am; Reply: 70
Quoted from 123614

Highlights will be posted on the clubs YouTube channel at 10pm tonight.
Posted by: RonMariner, September 15, 2021, 11:05am; Reply: 71
Kept checking the the weather on the drive up, half expecting the game to be called off given the monsoon in the midlands. But it was a perfect night for football.

My first game since the first lock down started and what an awesome experience. Have to say this team fought like hell. Chasing every ball, not shirking a single tackle, putting their bodies on the line, and playing some great one touch football.

Wrexham had the majority of possession in the second half. I may be wrong  but I can't remember a shot on target from them in the second half? I don't think we will come up against many better sides than them in this division, so we need fear no one.

When Max ran through to finish the roof came off the Findus and my lungs exploded. It was a finish worthy of George Best! For a local lad to do that in the 90th minute in front of the Pontoon, well it's fairy tale stuff.

If my maths is correct that is 10 goals in three matches by 8 different scorers! Incredible.

These lads never give up, and fight all the way. After years of feeling anger, frustration and shame watching the shower of useless and disinterested journeymen disgracing the shirt I can once again say that I am proud of our team.    

Posted by: 123614 (Guest), September 15, 2021, 11:06am; Reply: 72
Quoted from Tommy

Highlights will be posted on the clubs YouTube channel at 10pm tonight.

Excellent, thank you very much.
Posted by: buckstown, September 15, 2021, 11:09am; Reply: 73
PH was clear that he's not bothered about another striker IF he can keep Lenny and Taylor fit.
Big gamble but the spirit in the dressing room must be ace
Posted by: TownSNAFU5, September 15, 2021, 11:11am; Reply: 74
Sorry, in my joy posted this on the wrong thread last night.

Further thoughts this morning:

Hurst has (very quickly from a zero baseline) crafted together a team/squad in his own image.  Only even more entertaining. Team spirit second to none.  Mental toughness throughout the team is  A star rated.

We have already put together some very impressive non-Town stats this season. 3 wins from a goal down (2 v Barnet), 3 consecutive 90th min plus goals and 5 consecutive home goals of the highest quality.  All different.  X number of different goalscorers. These excellent goals were all critical. An equaliser and winner against Barnet,  Equaliser, winner and KO goal against Wrexham.  Not even covered Torquay.

We have 3 injured players to come in.  Plus a new striker some time.  Just need a good FA Cup run as well, like Lincoln, against weakened teams who underestimate us.  To bring in some much needed cash, some glory and to test us against bigger teams.

Very long way to go. We need consistency in the future as well, and to be clinical and ruthless at home against teams who park the bus. As they will.     Many  fans dislike tennis but quality and mental toughness/resilience can take you to the very top. Plus massive vocal support who believe.  

In the car last night we said that Wrexham went for "Hollywood" star individuals.  They should have spent the money on strengthening the team generally.  Disappointed with them last night. Our constant intensity and pressing was too much for them.  (We had a very long trip to Torquay as well).      They are like Juventus with Ronaldo.  A team built around a start player, but failing in the CL.  (Juve won 3-0 away last night without him).

Just back (in York).  Having a Jaipur IPA to celebrate - just about everything tonight.  (Could not get a beer in The Trust Bar before the game, too busy).

A very well-deserved win based on team work and effort. The fans were worth a goal. Cannot remember a better atmosphere, crowd and performance.  Against the favourites, who were very average.

The whole Club and team have come a long way very quickly.  Not just happening in tennis then? The fans recognise this progress and are flocking to BP. And are enjoying themselves again.

Good to see Craig Disley in the UF.  He would have been impressed.  

Even the weather improved
Posted by: RonMariner, September 15, 2021, 11:29am; Reply: 75

Paul Hurst post match here:-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mzlw9Cd2CB8
Posted by: Mayaman, September 15, 2021, 12:01pm; Reply: 76
Saw the player ratings in the GT.  Not seen the that high for a long long time.  Findlater's lowest rating was 7 for Wright and he scored!   Last year 7 would be Star Man. Good times.  
Posted by: Les Brechin, September 15, 2021, 12:55pm; Reply: 77
Quoted from Mayaman
Saw the player ratings in the GT.  Not seen the that high for a long long time.  Findlater's lowest rating was 7 for Wright and he scored!   Last year 7 would be Star Man. Good times.  

If anyone got a 7 last season, he'd have been accused of watching a different game.  ;D
Posted by: pontoonlew, September 15, 2021, 12:57pm; Reply: 78
Quoted from buckstown
PH was clear that he's not bothered about another striker IF he can keep Lenny and Taylor fit.
Big gamble but the spirit in the dressing room must be ace

I'd still really like to see a loanee striker come in. For two reasons, firstly if Taylor gets injured now we don't have anybody else for a couple of weeks and we'd be forced into picking somebody up anyway. Secondly, it's healthy to have competition and options, Taylor and LJL are similar types of players and a hungry loanee with a bit of pace would be a welcome addition IMO.

It seems an unnecessary risk to me. Hell, if Taylors wife has a baby on Saturday then we don't have a senior striker.
Posted by: marinette, September 15, 2021, 2:27pm; Reply: 79
Another fantastic performance - these days, going a goal behind isn't necessarily the disaster that it once was.

Impossible to decide on MoM - the recent run of great results seems due to a combination of superb team effort, tenacity, will-power, confidence, ability, positive attitudes, physical strength and energy.  Last night was no exception.

You would expect the adrenaline to be flowing against a team like Wrexham, with all their recent hype.  Please, please, please GTFC, don't take your foot off the gas against Eastleigh.  They may present different, possibly greater challenges and our players will need to battle just as hard, if not harder.  Strictly no banana skins please!
Posted by: BottesfordMariner, September 15, 2021, 3:36pm; Reply: 80
I thought last night was a real sign that good things could be around the corner.

Wrexham were a good side with plenty of talent. In Mullin they have a true poacher. They will undoubtably be challenging for the title come May.

But why can't Town be based on the start so far. Town played great, tired a bit as the 2nd half wore on but stood firm and dug in when they had to. What all good teams do. And I think Town have the making of a good side.

It was a true team performance last night. Everyone worked for each other. We played some good football as well.

3 game in a row we have come from behind to win. When was the last time that happened?  In seasons past going a goal down was effectively game over. Yet last night I always believed Town would get back in it.

Strong performances all round. All played their part in a great win.

Like everyone has said Waterfall was immense. MOM. Won everything. He and Towler looked very strong together. Capped it with a storming header for the 2nd.

Clifton as always 100%. McAtee backs up his obvious talent with unbelievable workrate. I think Scunny will soon regret letting him go.

Taylor a clever intelligent player. Great goal. Sousa always looking to make things happen.

And not forgetting Hunt. Outstanding set piece delivery at free kicks and corners. For the first time in ages we look a real threat at corners. I really hope we can talk Wednesday into extending his loan but from what I have seen could play L1 now no probs.

I am not one for getting carried away too soon but this team has already shown great character and team spirit this season. Fans are behind them. Roll on Saturday. I can't wait. And i cant remember thinking that for quite some time.

UTMM
Posted by: IrishMariner, September 15, 2021, 3:41pm; Reply: 81
Quoted from BottesfordMariner
McAtee backs up his obvious talent with unbelievable workrate. I think Scunny will soon regret letting him go.

It may have taken a move to be managed by Hurst for him to spark into life.

I remember watching the interview with PH when he was signed and he was struggling to contain his excitement as he knew he had a real player, I've never seen him as enthusiastic to sign someone!
Posted by: jamesgtfc, September 15, 2021, 3:46pm; Reply: 82
Quoted from IrishMariner

It may have taken a move to be managed by Hurst for him to spark into life.

I remember watching the interview with PH when he was signed and he was struggling to contain his excitement as he knew he had a real player, I've never seen him as enthusiastic to sign someone!

I remember similar. What we already knew was that McAtee had been given a contract by Hurst at Shrewsbury and then Scunthorpe but his goal return was pretty poor on paper.

Hurst made a point of saying he's an excellent finisher and McAtee made a point of saying he can't wait to work with Hurst again.

As you look to build a new culture, you need to get some people in who fully understand and support your methods. Step forward McKeown, Pearson, Sears, McAtee, LJL and I guess you can add Coke to that too.
Posted by: Les Brechin, September 15, 2021, 3:59pm; Reply: 83
Quoted from BottesfordMariner

Clifton as always 100%. McAtee backs up his obvious talent with unbelievable workrate. I think Scunny will soon regret letting him go.

I thought that Scunny offered him a new deal but he turned it down to sign for us. Might be wrong though, but I'm sure I read that before.
Posted by: Maringer, September 15, 2021, 4:02pm; Reply: 84
The surprising thing is that I seem to recall some of the Scunny fans were pleased to see him go because he was lazy and didn't get involved in games? The absolute opposite of what we've seen so far!
Posted by: TownSNAFU5, September 15, 2021, 4:14pm; Reply: 85
Les, I read that he turned down a contract at Scunny as well.   As well coming here!  ;)(clap2)(clap2)
Posted by: mimma, September 15, 2021, 4:19pm; Reply: 86
Scunny only offered him a year long contract, we offered him a two year contract.  It was the longer contract that sealed the deal.
Posted by: Mayaman, September 15, 2021, 4:46pm; Reply: 87
Quoted from Maringer
The surprising thing is that I seem to recall some of the Scunny fans were pleased to see him go because he was lazy and didn't get involved in games? The absolute opposite of what we've seen so far!

Far from lazy.   He never stops and finds time to gee up the crowd and the team.
Posted by: oochiad, September 15, 2021, 4:53pm; Reply: 88
Mcatees a player who clearly appreciates our support behind him, can’t imagine he felt any of that at scunny.
Posted by: AussieMariner, September 15, 2021, 5:00pm; Reply: 89
Would have been tempting for PH to replace Souza with Pearson to protect the lead
Instead he brought on Max W who scores to protect the win
Posted by: quebec38, September 15, 2021, 5:07pm; Reply: 90
Impressive stuff last night. To go a goal down the way we did (it was definitely a foul) but take the lead coming in to half time against one of the so called big boys showed a lot of character. Something that for all of their millions Wrexham clearly lack.

Second half they had more of the ball and tried to come at us but it was all too easy for Waterfall and Towler. They were both so solid and really compliment each other.

Great all over the pitch last night. Hopefully the same again on Saturday and then a much deserved week off before the next game.

Wrexham fans have changed their tune I see from us being jealous of them just yesterday morning to now having a better squad that they we’re always going to struggle against. Well let me tell you Wrexham fans… you are right there because you’ve spent money we could only dream of on an ageing centre half who is better at throwing a football than he is his primary role of defending. I won’t even get started on the mistakes you’ve made chucking away  the rest of your money on Jones and Mullin. Parkinson is a dead man walking.

Grimsby are on the up. The club are doing all of the things right now we have so enviously looked at others doing over the years. Bringing in top talents on loan from 2-3 divisions higher, snapping up a maverick winger from further down the pyramid…serving good beer and treating the fans with respect.

It’s hard to explain the feel around the place atm. Sure it’s easier when results are good but we have had spells over the years but it’s always felt like we’re just winging it. This is something different and long may it continue.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, September 15, 2021, 5:09pm; Reply: 91
Questions for those who attended the last few games.

We’ve come from behind three times to win. Last time in non-League we used to struggle breaking down defences of teams who ‘park the bus’. Are we better at attacking, more attack-minded, or have we beaten teams who think they stand a chance and so don’t park the bus? If we come up against a part-time outfit who nick the lead, are we going to find it harder to come from behind?
Posted by: BeijingMariner, September 15, 2021, 5:11pm; Reply: 92
Last night was my first game in I don't know how long. I have returned from living overseas and, to be honest was a bit nervous about this match being the first one to witness. Wrexham, you know....But wow, just wow. McAttee doesn't understand what a lost cause is, thankfully.  Taylor is proving to be an astute taker of opportunities. Towler is a real find, so confident for someone so young. Wright and Clifton's engines seem too big for their bodies and they are the epitome of Grimsby Town spirit. Crookes was quietly everywhere. Waterfall looked like he's lived here forever and has shares. Hunt and Coke work so well together it's crazy. Efete gave 100%, as did Macca. Sousa would scare some League 1 defences I reckon. Ref started ok but then lost the plot, so no changes there, then. Crowd were magnificent. Sat next to a bloke called Bob from Colchester who isn't a Colchester fan and is trying to get round as many grounds as possible, lovely bloke, very complimentary about our team and old ground. Thank you GTFC for giving me one of the best nights of my life so far. I am glad to be home.
Posted by: DB, September 15, 2021, 5:27pm; Reply: 93
Quoted from BeijingMariner
Last night was my first game in I don't know how long. I have returned from living overseas and, to be honest was a bit nervous about this match being the first one to witness. Wrexham, you know....But wow, just wow. McAttee doesn't understand what a lost cause is, thankfully.  Taylor is proving to be an astute taker of opportunities. Towler is a real find, so confident for someone so young. Wright and Clifton's engines seem too big for their bodies and they are the epitome of Grimsby Town spirit. Crookes was quietly everywhere. Waterfall looked like he's lived here forever and has shares. Hunt and Coke work so well together it's crazy. Efete gave 100%, as did Macca. Sousa would scare some League 1 defences I reckon. Ref started ok but then lost the plot, so no changes there, then. Crowd were magnificent. Sat next to a bloke called Bob from Colchester who isn't a Colchester fan and is trying to get round as many grounds as possible, lovely bloke, very complimentary about our team and old ground. Thank you GTFC for giving me one of the best nights of my life so far. I am glad to be home.

Welcome home star man.

Posted by: IrishMariner, September 15, 2021, 6:00pm; Reply: 94
Quoted from AussieMariner
Would have been tempting for PH to replace Souza with Pearson to protect the lead

What a contrast to Carlisle away last season when we sat too deep!
Posted by: Lincoln Mariner 56, September 15, 2021, 6:55pm; Reply: 95

We’ve come from behind three times to win. Last time in non-League we used to struggle breaking down defences of teams who ‘park the bus’. Are we better at attacking, more attack-minded, or have we beaten teams who think they stand a chance and so don’t park the bus? If we come up against a part-time outfit who nick the lead, are we going to find it harder to come from behind?

I missed the Weymouth game which is probably the match where we struggled to break down a team that showed little ambition in actually having an attack themselves but it was also our first competitive match so still getting used to each other. Barnet and Wrexham were both pretty open matches and this allowed us the opportunity to use space and counter attack quickly. However, second half against Barnet was pretty much one way traffic and a pretty continuous wave after wave of town attacks.

I feel the big difference is the speed we move the ball about and switch play with most of our players looking very comfortable on the ball and a number being very skilful with Sousa and McAtee the stand outs but Hunt and Coke are both very good in possession and use the ball very intelligently. Taylor seems a mix of Gary Jones and Tony Rees, not particularly quick but has an ability to win his duels or get a foul or two and does a few little flicks and passes that bring McAtee and Sousa into the game high up the pitch.

Surprised to see the level of understanding the players already have in each other and how we want to play.

Add the enthusiasm of the crowd and it feels earily like the start of the 71/72 promotion campaign just without the larger numbers that attended matches in that incredible season.
Posted by: Ipswin, September 15, 2021, 6:56pm; Reply: 96

I was rather hoping that going a goal behind might become a rarity

Posted by: KingstonMariner, September 15, 2021, 6:58pm; Reply: 97
Cheers LM. Sounds like a mixture of the two. Might get a better idea when we play Maidenhead, which will be my first game since Orient away in early 2020.
Posted by: pontoonlew, September 15, 2021, 7:11pm; Reply: 98
Quoted from AussieMariner

One of my biggest criticisms of Paul Hurst in the past was that he never used to learn from his mistakes and was far too stubborn. We’re seeing the absolute opposite of that this season, he seems to have really evolved as a manager and his more relaxed demeanor off the pitch seems to be translating onto it.
Posted by: jamesgtfc, September 15, 2021, 8:04pm; Reply: 99
Quoted from pontoonlew

One of my biggest criticisms of Paul Hurst in the past was that he never used to learn from his mistakes and was far too stubborn. We’re seeing the absolute opposite of that this season, he seems to have really evolved as a manager and his more relaxed demeanor off the pitch seems to be translating onto it.

I suppose it can't help when you've got your boss saying stuff like "managers are never more than 6 games from the sack*"

*Except for mates, they get 12 games.
Posted by: TownSNAFU5, September 15, 2021, 8:16pm; Reply: 100
Have Hurst and Waterfall both been to “Performance and management improvement” classes over the summer?  Both are much better at their jobs now.
Posted by: blundellpork, September 15, 2021, 8:19pm; Reply: 101
I thought Waterfall and Pollock were our best players in the first 8-10 games last season, but Holloway’s bizarre tactics and the constant poor results clearly did nothing for Waterfall’s confidence and his performances suffered for the rest of the season.

As a lower league stopper, there’s a decent player there.
Posted by: HertsGTFC, September 15, 2021, 8:58pm; Reply: 102
Lots of well deserved positivity around Waterfall on here, don’t forget we have a player here who knows how to be part of a team that gets out of this league.
Posted by: aldi_01, September 15, 2021, 9:28pm; Reply: 103
Thought waterfall was excellent last night and his goal was great. Loved the celebration too.

I think he’ll buy in to whatever PH wants and will be beneficial to have around the place. I think it’s very clear that waterfall, along with many others fell victim to the straw chewing charlatans moronic approaches…
Posted by: DB, September 16, 2021, 5:34am; Reply: 104
Quoted from pontoonlew

The answer might be that our new owners let him do as he wishes, I think the quote is something like 'Paul looks after the football side of things' or words to that effect.

In his first tenure, he may have been told what to do! ;)

Posted by: aldi_01, September 16, 2021, 5:44am; Reply: 105
Quoted from DB

The answer might be that our new owners let him do as he wishes, I think the quote is something like 'Paul looks after the football side of things' or words to that effect.

In his first tenure, he may have been told what to do! ;)

It’s a well known fact that I despise our dearest John but I don’t think he interfered with the football team management to that extent although it’s clear Hurst was hamstrung by Fenty, be it through transfers, money available, lack of investment in moving forward etc.

I just think Hurst as learnt a lot in his time away from GTFC and if he’s happy in his work it’ll naturally show…
Posted by: DB, September 16, 2021, 6:05am; Reply: 106
Quoted from aldi_01

It’s a well known fact that I despise our dearest John but I don’t think he interfered with the football team management to that extent although it’s clear Hurst was hamstrung by Fenty, be it through transfers, money available, lack of investment in moving forward etc.

I just think Hurst as learnt a lot in his time away from GTFC and if he’s happy in his work it’ll naturally show…

I agree with your last sentence. However, given from reports of his tenure that Fenty appeared a bully and control freak, I just think he influenced what Hurst did.

Certainly, Hurst's persona has changed in press interviews over the last 9 months from being 'reserved' in what he said to being more open and flowing in his speech; which also coincided with the change of ownership.

Posted by: acko338, September 16, 2021, 1:01pm; Reply: 107
In regards to Waterfall, I wonder how many Waterfall set piece goals assisted by accurate passes from Hunt on corners will be made this season.

Pre kick chat - just put it on my head, son !
Post goal chat and hug - cheers, mate , spot on !!

Almost another earlier that just skimmed past the post.

Likewise - Souza skins the full back and centres at speed to Taylor at the near post !!

More post goal thank yous and team hugs !!

Really good team spirit and acknowledgement of the skill levels of others.

Teams wanting to park the bus this year had better have some fit players, and be quick enough to spot through balls onto our wingers.

What a change of pace throughout from last year. I can also see Bapaga having a part to play at some point, as he adjusts to how we play.

Good start, more please !
Posted by: Kris2, September 16, 2021, 1:58pm; Reply: 108
Quoted from blundellpork
I thought Waterfall and Pollock were our best players in the first 8-10 games last season, but Holloway’s bizarre tactics and the constant poor results clearly did nothing for Waterfall’s confidence and his performances suffered for the rest of the season.

As a lower league stopper, there’s a decent player there.

The main issues was that Holloway was asking them to play in a style they aren't suited to. These aren't Champion's League players like Barcelona that can style on people from the back. The over complicatedness caused us to concede way more and be under pressure from pressing teams so ruined any confidence as they didn't have experience playing like that with no room to learn what he wanted them to do since we had no friendly games. Hurst had less time to make changes, he did get them playing towards the end but it was really too late by then. Whatever Hurst did with them pre season has worked for their confidence and we play a more simple style that they can follow rather than really over complicated stuff.

Last season we played like a team with no confidence with a lot of pressure on them. Probably also helps that Hurst has bought a few personal in that are different kinds of players from Waterfall and they cover his weaknesses well. Waterfall and Pollock are really similar types of defenders so never looked completely comfortable together. Waterfall will do well in this league where players get away with more, we'll face teams like Woking who tore Torquay apart with a team of bruisers. We won't always face footballing sides so we'll need guys like Waterfall on set pieces that won't be easily bullied and pushed around when going for the ball and same defending against bruiser forwards.

The amount Woking got away with is shocking. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kV2Yk6U0kS4
Posted by: Croxton, September 16, 2021, 2:00pm; Reply: 109
Baparga and Revan should get a good run out against Lincoln  Res. next Tues. One lesson they need to learn is not to risk losing possession in our own half by turning infield on a mazy run. They both like taking on defenders, especially Baparga, Give and go like Sousa's run on Tuesday is the safer option.

Unfortunately, the next Res. game is in November so minutes on the pitch are hard to find.
Posted by: jamesgtfc, September 16, 2021, 2:05pm; Reply: 110
Quoted from Croxton
Baparga and Revan should get a good run out against Lincoln  Res. next Tues. One lesson they need to learn is not to risk losing possession in our own half by turning infield on a mazy run. They both like taking on defenders, especially Baparga, Give and go like Sousa's run on Tuesday is the safer option.

Unfortunately, the next Res. game is in November so minutes on the pitch are hard to find.

I noticed there is a free weekend for the whole league on Saturday 16th October. I'm assuming that is when we enter the FA Cup...
Posted by: Hagrid, September 16, 2021, 4:29pm; Reply: 111
Quoted from jamesgtfc

I noticed there is a free weekend for the whole league on Saturday 16th October. I'm assuming that is when we enter the FA Cup...

thats right mate 4th Qualifying round
Posted by: DB, September 16, 2021, 7:57pm; Reply: 112
Quoted from Hagrid

thats right mate 4th Qualifying round

A cup run is always nice, but this year promotion should take place. We don't want to be in this league more than we have to. I've not happy when we lose but I hope some players get a rest in the cup games.

Print page generated: April 19, 2024, 1:07pm