12 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 Next All Recommend Thread
TownSNAFU5
September 15, 2021, 8:16pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,876
Gold Stars: 42
Have Hurst and Waterfall both been to “Performance and management improvement” classes over the summer?  Both are much better at their jobs now.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 100 - 112
blundellpork
September 15, 2021, 8:19pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.09
Rep Score: +3 / -2
Approval: +1,655
Gold Stars: 32
I thought Waterfall and Pollock were our best players in the first 8-10 games last season, but Holloway’s bizarre tactics and the constant poor results clearly did nothing for Waterfall’s confidence and his performances suffered for the rest of the season.

As a lower league stopper, there’s a decent player there.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 101 - 112
HertsGTFC
September 15, 2021, 8:58pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,909
Gold Stars: 228
Lots of well deserved positivity around Waterfall on here, don’t forget we have a player here who knows how to be part of a team that gets out of this league.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 102 - 112
aldi_01
September 15, 2021, 9:28pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.03
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
Thought waterfall was excellent last night and his goal was great. Loved the celebration too.

I think he’ll buy in to whatever PH wants and will be beneficial to have around the place. I think it’s very clear that waterfall, along with many others fell victim to the straw chewing charlatans moronic approaches…

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 103 - 112
DB
September 16, 2021, 5:34am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.48
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,000
Gold Stars: 386
Quoted from pontoonlew

One of my biggest criticisms of Paul Hurst in the past was that he never used to learn from his mistakes and was far too stubborn. We’re seeing the absolute opposite of that this season, he seems to have really evolved as a manager and his more relaxed demeanor off the pitch seems to be translating onto it.

The answer might be that our new owners let him do as he wishes, I think the quote is something like 'Paul looks after the football side of things' or words to that effect.

In his first tenure, he may have been told what to do!

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 104 - 112
aldi_01
September 16, 2021, 5:44am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.03
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
Quoted from DB

The answer might be that our new owners let him do as he wishes, I think the quote is something like 'Paul looks after the football side of things' or words to that effect.

In his first tenure, he may have been told what to do!

It’s a well known fact that I despise our dearest John but I don’t think he interfered with the football team management to that extent although it’s clear Hurst was hamstrung by Fenty, be it through transfers, money available, lack of investment in moving forward etc.

I just think Hurst as learnt a lot in his time away from GTFC and if he’s happy in his work it’ll naturally show…

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 105 - 112
DB
September 16, 2021, 6:05am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.48
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,000
Gold Stars: 386
Quoted from aldi_01

It’s a well known fact that I despise our dearest John but I don’t think he interfered with the football team management to that extent although it’s clear Hurst was hamstrung by Fenty, be it through transfers, money available, lack of investment in moving forward etc.

I just think Hurst as learnt a lot in his time away from GTFC and if he’s happy in his work it’ll naturally show…

I agree with your last sentence. However, given from reports of his tenure that Fenty appeared a bully and control freak, I just think he influenced what Hurst did.

Certainly, Hurst's persona has changed in press interviews over the last 9 months from being 'reserved' in what he said to being more open and flowing in his speech; which also coincided with the change of ownership.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 106 - 112
acko338
September 16, 2021, 1:01pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.83
Rep Score: +43 / -6
Approval: +3,222
Gold Stars: 33
In regards to Waterfall, I wonder how many Waterfall set piece goals assisted by accurate passes from Hunt on corners will be made this season.

Pre kick chat - just put it on my head, son !
Post goal chat and hug - cheers, mate , spot on !!

Almost another earlier that just skimmed past the post.

Likewise - Souza skins the full back and centres at speed to Taylor at the near post !!

More post goal thank yous and team hugs !!

Really good team spirit and acknowledgement of the skill levels of others.

Teams wanting to park the bus this year had better have some fit players, and be quick enough to spot through balls onto our wingers.

What a change of pace throughout from last year. I can also see Bapaga having a part to play at some point, as he adjusts to how we play.

Good start, more please !
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 107 - 112
Kris2
September 16, 2021, 1:58pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.65
Rep Score: +16 / -18
Approval: +2,634
Gold Stars: 136
Quoted from blundellpork
I thought Waterfall and Pollock were our best players in the first 8-10 games last season, but Holloway’s bizarre tactics and the constant poor results clearly did nothing for Waterfall’s confidence and his performances suffered for the rest of the season.

As a lower league stopper, there’s a decent player there.

The main issues was that Holloway was asking them to play in a style they aren't suited to. These aren't Champion's League players like Barcelona that can style on people from the back. The over complicatedness caused us to concede way more and be under pressure from pressing teams so ruined any confidence as they didn't have experience playing like that with no room to learn what he wanted them to do since we had no friendly games. Hurst had less time to make changes, he did get them playing towards the end but it was really too late by then. Whatever Hurst did with them pre season has worked for their confidence and we play a more simple style that they can follow rather than really over complicated stuff.

Last season we played like a team with no confidence with a lot of pressure on them. Probably also helps that Hurst has bought a few personal in that are different kinds of players from Waterfall and they cover his weaknesses well. Waterfall and Pollock are really similar types of defenders so never looked completely comfortable together. Waterfall will do well in this league where players get away with more, we'll face teams like Woking who tore Torquay apart with a team of bruisers. We won't always face footballing sides so we'll need guys like Waterfall on set pieces that won't be easily bullied and pushed around when going for the ball and same defending against bruiser forwards.

The amount Woking got away with is shocking. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kV2Yk6U0kS4
Private Message
Reply: 108 - 112
Croxton
September 16, 2021, 2:00pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.75
Rep Score: +14 / -4
Approval: +3,014
Gold Stars: 33
Baparga and Revan should get a good run out against Lincoln  Res. next Tues. One lesson they need to learn is not to risk losing possession in our own half by turning infield on a mazy run. They both like taking on defenders, especially Baparga, Give and go like Sousa's run on Tuesday is the safer option.

Unfortunately, the next Res. game is in November so minutes on the pitch are hard to find.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 109 - 112
12 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just back

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.