12 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 Next All Recommend Thread
toontown
September 14, 2021, 11:40pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,258
Gold Stars: 70
This isn't supposed to happen! Town always blow it when  we get a head of steam up and attract a big crowd to BP. Well not this time, fantastic team performance, looked the more dangerous of two good sides, both being positive but we steam rollered them a bit by creating more out of the possession we had and we got the goals from the better chances we created.

Three times on the trot we've been behind and come back to win.

Three times on the trot we've scored in the 90th.

All round fantastic team performance that should get people coming back for more. I have been soo looking forward to this game, I really have started to feel optimistic, but couldn't help but worry we'd be let down  again. I shouldn't have.

Taylor my mom but so.e great performances from hunt, Coke, waterfall, towler amongst others. Pearson and Longe-king will have a he'll of a job getting their places back but that's a nice problem to have.

Hurst was loving it at the end, the atmosphere was great, its flipping brilliant being a town fan again!

Only two concerns - taylor looked to take a knock late on but obviously couldn't go off as we have nobody. That's a worry. We definitely need someone in sharpish if lenny isn't back for Saturday or else we will be foolishly running taylor into the ground, he is 33 and will need managing at times.

The other is just that hunt and tower are only on loans until Xmas, they're not our players, get them signed up for the season if we can. I think somebody mentioned his agent was on humberside saying a season long loan could be potentially on the table - geddit done!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 112
mariner91
September 14, 2021, 11:42pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,599
Gold Stars: 260
Taylor is excellent. Such an intelligent forward and gives us a really composed figure to aim for in our attacks.

And I would like to say on record how wrong I was about Waterfall being a spent force. He was superb. My apologies Luke.

If they're likely to be up there then we have nothing to fear. Players to come back, momentum building and an air of real positivity around the place. I think we could be on to something good.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 112
Lincoln Mariner 56
September 14, 2021, 11:42pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,685
Gold Stars: 73
Three quality goals all from different situations, great creativity for the first, brilliant dead ball for the second and tenacity for the third. Thought we were very good first half but second half we struggled to hold the ball up in their half so had less possession but despite this they still created very little with the only scare coming from Macca’s flap but two great blocks by Crookes, who improves with every game, saw off the danger.

For me winning when your not quite at the races for the full match is the sign of a very good side and it’s great when our better players like McAtee are slightly below their best that others are more than capable of standing up and delivering quality performances. Work rate from all of our players was outstanding.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 112
Mariner_09
September 14, 2021, 11:47pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +19 / -13
Approval: +1,192
Gold Stars: 55
We definitely deserved to win the game, although I think they’ll win a lot of games this season. They knocked it around quite well although never really properly threatened us, aside from those 2 blocks by Crookes. Macca didn’t really have to make a save. I’m still stunned he didn’t blow for a foul on Taylor, given how he blew up at every opportunity and handed out cheap bookings all night it was all the more remarkable he didn’t give that.

I thought Waterfall was excellent. He’s certainly benefited from the close season and being able to reset, plus getting a proper pre season in under a decent manager. He’s also well suited to the Conference with his style. I agree with the consensus re Towler, he looks a cut above and I like that he’s left footed, the side has good balance. I really like Taylor, he’s very clever and knows how to use his body to win headers and hold the ball up, he’s crucial to allowing McAtee and Sousa thrive.

I thought Crookes was poor against Stockport but has incrementally improved since and looks like a solid player. I also thought Coke had his best game of the season by a long way. He played nicely and kept things ticking over.

It’s great that we have the belief and resilience to keep on coming from behind, also aided by the fact we have a goal in us now, and they’re coming from all over the pitch in any manner of ways. However, we will need to stop falling behind.

Reality is tonight is a great result but the nature of this league is we have to now beat Eastleigh on Saturday, at least they aren’t searching for their first win of the season on Saturday. I’m sure we can manage another home sell out and I think the way the fans are sticking with the team when we go behind is making BP harder for oppositions to play at.

I've wasted my life in black and white, a pathetic act for a worthless cause
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 112
mariner91
September 14, 2021, 11:51pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,599
Gold Stars: 260
Quoted from Mariner_09
We definitely deserved to win the game, although I think they’ll win a lot of games this season. They knocked it around quite well although never really properly threatened us, aside from those 2 blocks by Crookes. Macca didn’t really have to make a save. I’m still stunned he didn’t blow for a foul on Taylor, given how he blew up at every opportunity and handed out cheap bookings all night it was all the more remarkable he didn’t give that.

Did they? Other than a ten minute spell in the second half where we had visibly tired it looked to me like they just launched it 90% of the time. Clearly have some quality players in forward positions but there's no obvious teamwork or plan involved. If that's as good as they can produce given the astounding amounts they're spending then I'd be wanting a refund if I was Ryan Reynolds. But then at the same time, if I was Ryan Reynolds I'd just get in bed next to Blake Lively and probably not care too much about a fifth division match the other side of the Atlantic.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 112
Brazilnut
September 14, 2021, 11:54pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.27
Rep Score: +17 / -8
Approval: +978
Gold Stars: 30
Mcateer chasing down  goalkeeper clearance from half way line says everything about team spirit

<*(((><

Town have given me some of my highest highs and my lowest lows ........ God it is like a marriage
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 112
ginnywings
September 14, 2021, 11:54pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,101
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from toontown
This isn't supposed to happen! Town always blow it when  we get a head of steam up and attract a big crowd to BP. Well not this time, fantastic team performance, looked the more dangerous of two good sides, both being positive but we steam rollered them a bit by creating more out of the possession we had and we got the goals from the better chances we created.

All round fantastic team performance that should get people coming back for more. I have been soo looking forward to this game, I really have started to feel optimistic, but couldn't help but worry we'd be let down  again. I shouldn't have.

Taylor my mom but so.e great performances from hunt, Coke, waterfall, towler amongst others. Pearson and Longe-king will have a he'll of a job getting their places back but that's a nice problem to have.

Hurst was loving it at the end, the atmosphere was great, its flipping brilliant being a town fan again!

Only two concerns - taylor looked to take a knock late on but obviously couldn't go off as we have nobody. That's a worry. We definitely need someone in sharpish if lenny isn't back for Saturday or else we will be foolishly running taylor into the ground, he is 33 and will need managing at times.

The other is just that hunt and tower are only on loans until Xmas, they're not our players, get them signed up for the season if we can. I think somebody mentioned his agent was on humberside saying a season long loan could be potentially on the table - geddit done!

Teams that go places always score a good proportion of late goals, turning defeats into draws, draws into wins, or putting the game to bed.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 112
KingstonMariner
September 15, 2021, 12:01am
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.07
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from toontown

I love this post. Full of humility. Sharing the doubt we all share. We’ve been there too many times. Knocked back too many times to allow ourselves to be optimistic. And full of the joy from having our doubts happily swept away. And then you throw in some calm analysis too. Love it!

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 112
Tommy
September 15, 2021, 12:01am
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +60 / -15
Approval: +8,865
Gold Stars: 76
Cracking night.

I thought Wrexham started well but our reaction to going a goal down was excellent (again). The work rate of our front 2 and midfield was unreal, led by McAtee who put them under a lot of pressure just through sheer work rate and desire.

The equaliser was a brilliant goal, attacking move at a great tempo and a tidy finish. I'm a big fan of Taylor, very much in the Gary Jones mould. Very intelligent player and technically very good too. Got the brauns of Lenny but got the technical ability too.

Second half passed by without any incident really didn't it. Wrexham came out and played at a higher tempo, as you'd expect, for about 5 minutes. But it wasn't long before they were just running out of ideas and hoping one of the long-throws would give them a chance. Our back 4 were dealing with their high balls forward and plenty others just drifted out of play harmlessly. Wrexham had a lot of the ball in their back line 2nd half because they had the extra man that McAtee/Taylor couldn't cover, but there was nothing dangerous. But while there's only one goal in it, they're always in with a chance as it only takes one ball slung in our box to create a chance.

Then just as the board goes up to say 5 minutes of injury time we go and seal it with a good individual effort from Max. Reminiscent of his goal away at Morecambe first game of the season a couple of years ago. Could have been a very nerve-racking last 5 minutes had he not stuck that away.

Great atmosphere around the place at the moment. Big step forward tonight in beating one of the fancied teams, which should give the players some real belief if they didn't have it already.

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 112
sydney
September 15, 2021, 12:04am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +1,009
Gold Stars: 3
Great Night at BP- Fabulous Performance
Club and New Owners deserve a sell out and a night like that.
Wrexham best side seen so far and we matched them, wore them down, and beat them, deservedly..
Eastleigh is still as big a game sat, important we build on this result with a win against a less glamorous side..
Come on Town!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 112
12 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just back

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.