7 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
forza ivano
September 11, 2021, 5:56pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.47
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,140
Gold Stars: 265
Wow! First time I've seen them and mightily impressed  esp. First half. They , I think, pressed us much harder in 2nd half and we didnt have time or space to get the flowing football that wed seen in the first half going. They had a lot of pressure and corners and we were hanging on with some committed defending before the breakaway third. First n third goals were really well taken, low hard shots into far corner.efetes goal looked better live than on the replay, weirdly. Macca I'm afraid definitely at fault, just seemed to palm the free kick in. Motm toss up between mcatee and Clifton. Brilliant support -462 and a performance on the field to match that committment. Proper hurst like team but with added quality of skill, pace and a fair amount of quality.
They're not the finished product, bit too often they were a touch disorganised, but with all the new players and injuries that's to be expected.efete and sousa look like theyve got a good understanding and I like the solidity and energy of the crookes/clifton legs unit
Look put for the 3rd goal, a thing of beauty, great first touch and pass from mcatee, equally good lay off from taylor into the path of ,inevitably, clifton who finished with aplomb and celebrated wildly in with the town fans. The goal was clinical in every regard
Logged Offline
Private Message
ginnywings
September 11, 2021, 6:03pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.05
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +55,972
Gold Stars: 538
We are looking like a team, first and foremost, which you'd expect of a Hurst side, but one with a sprinkling of talent in the right areas to unlock defences. If McAtee doesn't end up playing at a higher level, I'll be astonished.

Considering this side is still in the early stages of being put together, it all bodes well.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 63
forza ivano
September 11, 2021, 6:13pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.47
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,140
Gold Stars: 265
Macca, apart from the goal, was fine.didnt actually make that many saves , it was instead, the defenders getting blocks in.
Efete.big unit with pace.looks a bit of a work in progress, but much better than I thought he would be.goid strong athlete.finished his goal v well
Waterfall , mostly solid, just once or twice when he got caught out.won lots of headers and did well against that nasty bstard wright
Towler v v impressive.cool, calm and collected.looks a real find, good on the ball and not in the least bit phased
Crookes.solid,can see the likeness with gregor Robertson
Clifton was everywhere, and he seems to have learnt to keep the passing simple,  much improved in that respect.as usual some great tackling, but has also improved going forward as witnessed by his goal
Hunt lovely player to watch, see my comments on towler  hes the same. Can see why fox cant get in the team
Coke the fact that hes no longer one of the stand out player shows how much weve progressed.loads of tackles and dirty work.him n hunt look like they can work well together
Sousa.box of tricks, scared the living daylights out of them. If he had a better final ball and/or decision making then he would be much higher up the pyramid.seriously quick
Taylor battled manfully and did a lot of good work helping defend at set pieces. Looks a real hurst type player. Is a bit livvo/gary jones type
Mcatee - save the best till last one of the best individual performances I've seen in years.he is a diamond.skill, touch, committment, aggression, bit of pace hes got the lot. If he keeps playing like this someone with big money will be sniffing around come January
Ps good substitutions from hurst, all came on and did what they needed to do.tight, sorry for the long posts, time to go out and hit that wine bar hard!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 63
arryarryarry
September 11, 2021, 6:28pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +9,938
Gold Stars: 113
I thought they started off brightly and put us under pressure,  daft goal to concede then after that thought were the better side and could have had another but for a fantastic block on their line.
Second half I thought the game was not up to much, neither side looking much like scoring until they had a 10 minute spell when they looked like they might score and it looked like a fantastic save from Macca to keep it at 2-1.
Then we started to get back into the game and finish them off.
I thought Sousa played really well and felt that when he was taken off our outlet had gone.
Still a great 3 points.
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 63
DB
September 11, 2021, 6:31pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.54
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +3,876
Gold Stars: 383
I'm optimistic and positive that we'll be back in the EFL come the end of April, champions of course. Wrexham will be a test, but having spent the money they have a 1 - 0 win against Woking is not the victory you would expect; and only 9 points from 5 games! Stockport lost against Yeovil and Chesterfield only draw with Dover. Money only buys players, not a team.

A team is what we have, as shown today and against Barnet. What we have is not perfection, but as someone posted 6 different goalscorers and 7 goals in 2 games is not bad going. As fans we need to drop the negatives, Macca made a brilliant save and Pitman commented how good he thought Waterfall was. Do we need a No9? Perhaps an empty shirt is a blessing in disguise.

We're not going down and don't need a fall guy, we need positive support to maintain our upward movement.  And what about Hurst, a manager invigorated, when he now gives press interviews. I've never seen him so relaxed, it's as if he can be himself and not worry about his comments.

Hurst is putting together a team, and although nobody openly says it, it's a team for promotion, not mid table. Remember the comments of the new players, 'I've come to join a project; which is a return to the EFL. Yes we will lose games, but with so few games gone the one factor most managers want is team spirit, something our team now has in abundance, along with the confidence that the results have brought.

UTM

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 63
MuddyWaters
September 11, 2021, 6:41pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +31,883
Gold Stars: 230
You’ve got to say, first and foremost, that this team wouldn’t have been relegated. It has a shape, the players know what’s expected of them and they’re benefitting from an engaged and enthusiastic fan base.

Can we go up? Maybe too early to say, but we might be worth a small wager.
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 63
jamesgtfc
September 11, 2021, 7:04pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +12,813
Gold Stars: 187
Quoted from DB
I'm optimistic and positive that we'll be back in the EFL come the end of April, champions of course. Wrexham will be a test, but having spent the money they have a 1 - 0 win against Woking is not the victory you would expect; and only 9 points from 5 games! Stockport lost against Yeovil and Chesterfield only draw with Dover. Money only buys players, not a team.

A team is what we have, as shown today and against Barnet. What we have is not perfection, but as someone posted 6 different goalscorers and 7 goals in 2 games is not bad going. As fans we need to drop the negatives, Macca made a brilliant save and Pitman commented how good he thought Waterfall was. Do we need a No9? Perhaps an empty shirt is a blessing in disguise.

We're not going down and don't need a fall guy, we need positive support to maintain our upward movement.  And what about Hurst, a manager invigorated, when he now gives press interviews. I've never seen him so relaxed, it's as if he can be himself and not worry about his comments.

Hurst is putting together a team, and although nobody openly says it, it's a team for promotion, not mid table. Remember the comments of the new players, 'I've come to join a project; which is a return to the EFL. Yes we will lose games, but with so few games gone the one factor most managers want is team spirit, something our team now has in abundance, along with the confidence that the results have brought.

UTM

I hate hearing those words from players because it usually means they are chasing a big pay cheque.

Hurst and Doig were quite clear in the summer when talking about their signings that a lot of them have suffered disappointment so have that hunger to get back up the pyramid.

I've been most impressed with McAtee so far who just seems to pop up everywhere. I don't necessarily think clubs will come sniffing in January but he could come onto their radar as they look to see if he can do it consistently.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 63
ginnywings
September 11, 2021, 7:12pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.05
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +55,972
Gold Stars: 538
There seems to be a distinct lack of activity on the fishy after a very fine away win. There would be threads and posts galore if we had got off to a bad start.

We must be doing well, much to the annoyance of the Hurst detractors.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 63
HertsGTFC
September 11, 2021, 7:34pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.23
Rep Score: +29 / -8
Approval: +22,648
Gold Stars: 217
Quoted from jamesgtfc

I hate hearing those words from players because it usually means they are chasing a big pay cheque.

Hurst and Doig were quite clear in the summer when talking about their signings that a lot of them have suffered disappointment so have that hunger to get back up the pyramid.

I've been most impressed with McAtee so far who just seems to pop up everywhere. I don't necessarily think clubs will come sniffing in January but he could come onto their radar as they look to see if he can do it consistently.

I get really p1ssed off when I hear players and manager referring to things as a project 🤬

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 63
DB
September 11, 2021, 7:56pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.54
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +3,876
Gold Stars: 383
Quoted from ginnywings
There seems to be a distinct lack of activity on the fishy after a very fine away win. There would be threads and posts galore if we had got off to a bad start.

We must be doing well, much to the annoyance of the Hurst detractors.

I hope you're not suggesting that success is upsetting the forumites.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 63
7 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.