DB
September 11, 2021, 8:00pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.51
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +3,975
Gold Stars: 386
[quote=1655]

I hate hearing those words from players because it usually means they are chasing a big pay cheque.

Hurst and Doig were quite clear in the summer when talking about their signings that a lot of them have suffered disappointment so have that hunger to get back up the pyramid.

I've been most impressed with McAtee so far who just seems to pop up everywhere. I don't necessarily think clubs will come sniffing in January but he could come onto their radar as they look to see if he can do it consistently.[/quotein the future.]

Most, if not all, have a 1 year contract so I don't see a big pay cheque.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 63
DB
September 11, 2021, 8:03pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.51
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +3,975
Gold Stars: 386
Quoted from HertsGTFC

I get really p1ssed off when I hear players and manager referring to things as a project 🤬

So do I, but it seems to be the 'In Word'. I would much prefer words like promotion or back to the EFL etc.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 63
lukeo
September 11, 2021, 8:05pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 2.07
Rep Score: +38 / -23
Approval: +2,365
Gold Stars: 143
Not back yet just at torquay train station but agree with the original post.. Really good away day. Second half was a terrible affair but we limited them to minimal chances and we scored at the end, brilliant. I'm feeeling Mcatee is fast becoming the new Amond. Fans love him and he reacts well to the crowd.
Talking of crowd. Wow. Impressive. Well done everyone who travelled far today. UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 63
fishcake63
September 11, 2021, 8:51pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.51
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +1,235
Gold Stars: 62
Mcatee belongs in league 1 unreal player & also a shout out to waterfall what as hurst done to turn his game around looks a beast this yr
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 63
Son of Cod
September 11, 2021, 9:07pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +8 / 0
Approval: +5,328
Gold Stars: 196
Quoted from fishcake63
Mcatee belongs in league 1 unreal player & also a shout out to waterfall what as hurst done to turn his game around looks a beast this yr

Yep I came here to say props to Waterfall. Torquay's main tactic was to ping/lump/smash it into our box and he got his head onto the lot mainly. Towler slotted in nicely too, very calm and looks like a proper Hursty sort of pick up. Questions still remain over the two full backs for me, however give Crookes his due he got his head onto some very nervy balls into the box too and I don't want to slag off Efete after such a great goal. He's quality going forward and I think we should have had a pen in the second half after he slalomed his way through again but it got given the other way.

Best thing about today was that at full time you could see it meant something to the players again. Coke, McAtee (who several times tried to get us to make more noise at corners and set pieces) and Clifton were buzzing.

It's an isolated incident admittedly, but the players and fans hugging after Clifton's goal combined with the transparency of the new owners feels like a wall has come down in some way. It was my first match of the season so I'm not downplaying the first three matches this season, anyone that has already seen us will have felt this too surely but I felt more connected to the club than I have in a long time when that third went in today.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 63
jimgtfc
September 11, 2021, 9:09pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.64
Rep Score: +22 / -5
Approval: +5,066
Gold Stars: 44
Wasn’t there but listened on the old wireless, huge respect to the fans that made it! Not only a long trip but to hear you sing your hearts out for 99 minutes really made me proud!

Can’t comment on the performance personally but from what I heard I’m excited. This sounds like a group of lads that work their bolllocks off and at the same time have the quality to go with it. A typical Paul Hurst side but with a smattering of flair and guile. As others have said, we’re not the finished article by a long stretch but the foundations are there. The test comes when we hit a defeat, and then back to back defeats, that’s when we see the real character. There’s already signs it’s there though with 2 wins from positions of being behind.

It’s a good time to be a Mariner at the minute, despite the league we find ourselves in, so let’s enjoy it eh? See you all on Tuesday!

"Falls to Arnold... Arnold! That's it! Thats it! He's sealed it! Grimsby Town are back in the football league!!! Just a minute to go and Nathan Arnold makes it 3-1! Look at the scenes behind the goal! Look at the relief! The agony is finally over!!!"

John Tondeur - Wembley Stadium Sunday 15th May 2016
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 63
ginnywings
September 11, 2021, 9:12pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.04
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,098
Gold Stars: 548
Waterfall, like many here last season, was playing for an idiot who lost all respect from the players. He's knuckled down and got himself fit and firing and he should be more than comfortable at this level, having been promoted from this league with Lincoln, before playing in League 1 with the Shrews.

Having said that, I'm not sure he would have been a first choice pick had we been able to choose from the four CB's we now have on the books. If we'd had the new lad sooner and Longe-King hadn't picked up an injury, he may well have been on the subs bench.

There is good competition building in the squad and that keeps players on their toes.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 63
Son of Cod
September 11, 2021, 9:12pm
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from HertsGTFC

I get really p1ssed off when I hear players and manager referring to things as a project 🤬

Of all the cringey Lincoln stuff that has gone on in the last half a decade or so the worst for me was Danny Cowley referring to him and his brother's time there while they were there as a "journey". 🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 63
Bristol Mariner
September 11, 2021, 9:15pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.26
Rep Score: +11 / -5
Approval: +2,877
Gold Stars: 79
Just back to Bristol, load of unhappy Wednesday fans on train home. Great day out that!!

GTFC Exile, Bristol Mariners
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 63
Son of Cod
September 11, 2021, 9:20pm
Champagne Drinker
One thing I will say is that we didn't give Clifton a proper "HE'S ONE OF OUR OWN" rendition either after the third goal or at the end I don't think and he absolutely deserved that today.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 63
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just back

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.