Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Omar Bogle (again)
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 141 Guests

Omar Bogle (again)

This thread currently has 67,538 views. Print
35 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... Next All Recommend Thread
KingstonMariner
August 22, 2021, 12:03am
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.07
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
If he signs you can knock me into a membered hat

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 60 - 346
Harry Haddock
August 22, 2021, 12:05am

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.19
Rep Score: +18 / -8
Approval: +670
Gold Stars: 5
If he still has a years contract at Donny, why not see if we can take him on loan for the season (paying a percentage of his wages) with the option to send him back in January if he is a bagashite

Donny want to free up his wages so they can sign a replacement

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 61 - 346
toontown
August 22, 2021, 12:59am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,279
Gold Stars: 70
Not sure omar is that interested in footy any more, think the desire has left him,so regardless of his previous ability at this or any other level I would have grave doubts about it being a signing that would work out.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 62 - 346
HertsGTFC
August 22, 2021, 5:13am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,953
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from Poojah
We’re not going to sign a better number 9 than Omar Bogle this season - whatever you think of his career post-Town I’m absolutely certain of that.

I’ve always been sceptical of the idea of him returning on the basis that he would have always had far better offers. I don’t, and never did, buy into the idea that Holloway came close to signing him last summer. It would have been completely out of kilter with our recruitment patterns last season and interest from the likes of Charlton who eventually signed him would have surely been known to Omar and his ‘people’ at the time.

But there’s a part of me, perhaps only a small part but an itching feeling nonetheless, that makes me wonder whether the stars are aligning here.

For all his ability, his stock is now as low as it has been since he left Solihull in all reality - there were League One clubs purported to be interested back then. League Two clubs are already three games into their season; most squads will be more or less complete by this point and few will have room for a premium striker at this stage and even if they do, is Omar what they’re looking for?

Then there’s us. I can’t speak for the lad, but you’d imagine that some of the best and happiest moments of his career happened here. It wasn’t all smooth running, but this must be something of a happy place for him. Under Hurst, he went from a talented but slightly sulky forward to the best player in League Two in relatively short order. Here’s a stat - by the time he left us in January, Omar had scored 19 goals. Ollie Watkins, then at Exeter, scored 15 all season. That’s how good he is in his pomp.

And if there’s been a gaping hole in our recruitment this summer, it has patently been that number 9 spot. In my mind, if I think of the ‘type’ of player we need to fill that space - it’s Omar. Were we in for Tshimanga? I’ve a feeling we might have been, nothing more than a feeling, but I’ve always had the impression that we’ve reserved a decent chunk of budget for that high profile striker that has eluded us.

And let’s be honest, if there has been any criticism of the new owners (rightly or wrongly), it’s been our failure to attract something akin to a marquee signing up front. It might not please everyone, but signing Omar would undoubtedly relieve that heat - in the short-term at least.

For the first time since he left, I wouldn’t be surprised if this happened. And I’d be member-a-fúcking hoop if it did!

Who’d know where Omar would be now if he’d have moved to a Brentford rather than the sh1t show that was Wigan at that point in time.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 63 - 346
dapperz fun pub
August 22, 2021, 7:43am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.59
Rep Score: +37 / -6
Approval: +9,954
Gold Stars: 82
Quoted from RobDef1
Ritchie Wellens has said they have had interest in Omar Bogle and allowed him to think about it over the weekend, and that ultimately, hes not in their plans.

Source twitter (i know)

Question is, are we that club?

Twitter seems to throw up more accurate information than on here
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 64 - 346
August 22, 2021, 8:59am
Guest User
Always thought Wigan was a strange move. If memory serves me right he had a couple of great games for them, and Leeds fans were angry they hadn’t signed him. Then he gets a knock, and the manager is sacked shortly afterwards. As someone else has said, if he’d joined a decent outfit I think he’d still be playing at a high level. Joining a relegation threatened club in January rarely works out well either. As we know…
Reply: 65 - 346
jimgtfc
August 22, 2021, 9:15am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.64
Rep Score: +22 / -5
Approval: +5,090
Gold Stars: 45
Quoted from 140381
Always thought Wigan was a strange move. If memory serves me right he had a couple of great games for them, and Leeds fans were angry they hadn’t signed him. Then he gets a knock, and the manager is sacked shortly afterwards. As someone else has said, if he’d joined a decent outfit I think he’d still be playing at a high level. Joining a relegation threatened club in January rarely works out well either. As we know…

His agent has a lot to answer for. Hindsight apart, staying here until the summer, scoring 30+ goals and then having the pick of several Championship clubs for even more money was the wise move. Any agent worth his salt has the foresight to see this, he clearly wanted a quick few quid.

For what it’s worth, I’d be extremely surprised to see Omar back at Blundell Park anytime soon. He’ll end up at a Leyton Orient/Stevenage/Northampton/Walsall, in fact I can imagine most League 2 sides taking a punt on him.

"Falls to Arnold... Arnold! That's it! Thats it! He's sealed it! Grimsby Town are back in the football league!!! Just a minute to go and Nathan Arnold makes it 3-1! Look at the scenes behind the goal! Look at the relief! The agony is finally over!!!"

John Tondeur - Wembley Stadium Sunday 15th May 2016
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 66 - 346
aldi_01
August 22, 2021, 9:17am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.03
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
That Wigan move was bizarre and with hindsight, wasn’t the right decision, even if we understand why he made it.

Whatever anyone’s thoughts, under Hurst, Bogle played his best football at a much higher level than previous to joining us. He was unplayable at times before he left…he was managed perfectly the season we went up and was looking the player he could go on to be but it never happened.

Perhaps some of that is personality, perhaps managerial styles, perhaps the club, who knows?

I’ve no doubt that if he were to come back here he’d do well, Hurst knows his strengths and he’s be half way there with the crowd, that always helps.

I do think the flipping idiot straw chewer probably did go in for him last year for no reason other than to win the fans over in what was a woeful summer but I suspect even Bogle wasn’t that desperate to play for the clown.

Time will tell I guess, I’d imagine there’s a few clubs showing an interest….

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 67 - 346
jimgtfc
August 22, 2021, 9:35am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.64
Rep Score: +22 / -5
Approval: +5,090
Gold Stars: 45
There’s a bid from Swindon apparently and even Portsmouth are showing tentative interest. Next target Paul.

"Falls to Arnold... Arnold! That's it! Thats it! He's sealed it! Grimsby Town are back in the football league!!! Just a minute to go and Nathan Arnold makes it 3-1! Look at the scenes behind the goal! Look at the relief! The agony is finally over!!!"

John Tondeur - Wembley Stadium Sunday 15th May 2016
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 68 - 346
Garth
August 22, 2021, 9:56am

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +55 / -13
Approval: +4,921
Gold Stars: 26
No chance, for Christ sake look for new faces and be patient
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 69 - 346
35 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Omar Bogle (again)

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.