Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › who will be in the team in 6 months time?
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 340 Guests

who will be in the team in 6 months time?

This thread currently has 15,792 views. Print
10 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next All Recommend Thread
Son of Cod
April 21, 2021, 4:12pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +8 / 0
Approval: +5,328
Gold Stars: 196
Quoted from geir

I hope that the new owners would like to make a push for league football as early as possible - investing in the clubs players to make that happen. Isn`t there also some sort of compensation package when you go down to the conference? So, some extra money available?

There's a parachute payment, I read it's 750k but I'm not sure if that's true. I guess it's to cover loss of Sky money. I remember last time we went down, your youth academy gets funded in full for a season or you can split it in half and have 50% for two seasons but I have no idea if that's still a thing.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 60 - 97
arryarryarry
April 21, 2021, 4:26pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,044
Gold Stars: 116
Quoted from Son of Cod

There's a parachute payment, I read it's 750k but I'm not sure if that's true. I guess it's to cover loss of Sky money. I remember last time we went down, your youth academy gets funded in full for a season or you can split it in half and have 50% for two seasons but I have no idea if that's still a thing.

I would be interested to know how many paid staff are employed within the academy and how much in total it is costing the club for what we actually get back in terms of value for money any youth player gives the club back in terms of eventually playing first team football.
Private Message
Reply: 61 - 97
DB
April 21, 2021, 6:03pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.48
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,002
Gold Stars: 386
Quoted from arryarryarry

You mean basically the same squad that is getting us relegated?

No, I said keep up to the 12 I mention and a further 12 + recruits to make a squad. What I wouldn't want to happen is the old chestnut of a new squad needs time to gel! We have to hit the ground running, and get points straight away. Keeping the best from this team will help that process.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 62 - 97
ginnywings
April 21, 2021, 6:11pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,126
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from Son of Cod

Here is an article on the relegation of Yeovil to non league at the end of the last "normal" season, before we had this covid ravaged one.

https://www.somersetlive.co.uk.....town-getting-2746045

Presuming things are still the same, we will receive the full EFL basic award of £500,000 in the first season and 50% of that in season two, if we are still in there. We will however lose the Premier League solidarity payment of £450,000, so a big hit. As a big club in non league, we will get a few games on TV and get payments from BT. It's not a lot though.

We really need to get a squad capable of winning games and bringing in the crowds to bring in more revenue and we definitely could do with a cup run or two, which can change things dramatically.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 63 - 97
grimsby pete
April 21, 2021, 6:23pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.80
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,796
Gold Stars: 222
Quoted from Rick12
Since Jackson Jr came to us I have always had a soft spot for him due to his attitude. Hope he does well next season in what is almost certain the conference now . His mindset appears to be  first class.

He has a lot to learn Rick but he knows how to put the ball in the net.

In non league he could be a danger for any opponent and if he turns out to be another Podge who cares if other parts of his game is not up to scratch.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 64 - 97
Maringer
April 21, 2021, 10:04pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,506
Gold Stars: 185
Quoted from Son of Cod

One thing I will say I'm not pleased about that PH has done, is handing an 18 month deal to LJL, I'd much rather keep Hanson than him but there's no point in having them both in the squad. It's mad that we've been playing those two together and it's absolutely mental that we played them in a three with Payne. Our attacking options have been dire all season, but if we'd have had Hanson fit all season and another striker who wasn't in that same mould and had some Football League experience under their belt we'd have had a much better chance at not going down.

A strange choice for me. Hanson has been a massive disappointment over the past couple of seasons (though obviously, Green has him beaten all hands down in the disappointment stakes). I expected him to miss a few games due to injury but to chip in with a decent number of goals when he's fit. During his first season he just about managed this, though he was hardly prolific. However, this season, his goal return is just 2 from 23 appearances, more than half of which have been starts. Winning a few headers doesn't really help a great deal if you achieve nothing else. LJL hasn't scored enough goals, either, of course, but it seems his fitness is more likely to hold up. I'd rather have him with us next season than taking a punt on Hanson being fit enough to do something.

It's actually depressing when you look at the stats. A teenage defender is our joint top scorer and all of the strikers to play for us this season have scored the mighty total of 10 goals combined! I wonder why we're going down?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 65 - 97
Swansea_Mariner
April 22, 2021, 8:48am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +22 / -3
Approval: +6,443
Gold Stars: 63
You'd like to think some or more hopefully all of these contacted players will have relegation release and/or reduced contractual terms built into their contracts. That should hopefully lessen the likelihood that we get stuck with Holloways duds next season.

I include Williams in that, it's not just Hurst, Holloway barely put his trust in him to start games for us either, whatever is up with him it doesn't appear fixable. Here at least.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 66 - 97
Rick12
April 23, 2021, 7:08am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.15
Rep Score: +42 / -3
Approval: +255
Gold Stars: 45
Quoted from grimsby pete

He has a lot to learn Rick but he knows how to put the ball in the net.

In non league he could be a danger for any opponent and if he turns out to be another Podge who cares if other parts of his game is not up to scratch.
Hope so Pete.

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 67 - 97
Davec
April 23, 2021, 7:50am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +15 / -10
Approval: +1,442
Gold Stars: 42
We need a clear out lets be quite clear on that, I saw a post on the praise and Grumble page on Facebook the other day Where somebody hoped we kept the majority of this sqaud, in my opinion that is something we can't do and I don't think we will.

Some tough decisions need to be made and I would pay off Scannell, Williams, Rose and Scannell, I am hoping they all have relegation clauses in their contracts which would allow them to leave at little cost to us. Gibson and Jackson Jr are on peanuts so maybe a loan out might be worthwhile to see if they are any good at national League level, if possible loan them out to fellow national League sides for the season but with an option to recall them in January if they do well.

As for offering new contracts, for the players out of contract I would offer Hewitt and Coke and Habergahm new deals and potentially Hendrie, I dare say Hewitt and Hendrie will have some interest from league 2 but for the former he has got 2 relegations in 3 seasons on his CV so he may be more likely to renew his contract with us than the latter.

We get 500k parachute payment and we do need to use that, I don't think many clubs in the national League will have much money for obvious reasons but Wrexham Chesterfield Notts County and Stockport will be well backed financially.

What we do have as an advantage is a full month head start so hopefully we see some early signings to help us hit the ground running, there is not really any excuse on that front.

Hopefully with the new owners we can make a swift return.

Very important and interesting summer awaits us.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 68 - 97
gtfc_akpa_akpro
April 23, 2021, 8:29am

Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.04
Rep Score: +5 / -3
Approval: +104
Gold Stars: 9
There’s doesn’t seem to have been any consideration in this thread for a clauses in contracts for being relegated. Players are often thought to have a % wage drop due to the decrease in revenue and some will have relegation release clauses no doubt.

There is also a good chance that non of this was ever considered when the contracts were written up by Fenty looking at how bad the deals have been.

Ultimately, we all have a different opinion on players and their worth to the squad. I personally put my trust towards Hurst because he will get the fundamentals right which he has had to spend more time than I’m sure he has wanted to do this season. I trust he’ll find the little bits of quality needed and don’t doubt we will be in the playoff and above positions next year.

i would really like to know biccys favourite biscuit.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 69 - 97
10 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › who will be in the team in 6 months time?

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.