Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › who will be in the team in 6 months time?
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 354 Guests

who will be in the team in 6 months time?

This thread currently has 15,789 views. Print
10 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next All Recommend Thread
forza ivano
April 20, 2021, 11:42pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,172
Gold Stars: 265
Quoted from ginnywings

Yep, we need to hit the ground running, fully prepared, with a squad in place, pre season games aplenty and with a clear starting 11 ready for match day one.

i posed this question a week or so ago, but don't think i got any response:
my recollection is that
a) we always got off to a poor start and were playing catch up by October, so wrecking any chance of a real title push
and b) we never had a first XI that was settled by early pre season. We were always signing a couple of players very late on (probably due to Fenty's 'competitive' budget) which didn't help us get off to a really good start

is this correct or just my version of an Urban Myth?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 97
Bigdog
April 20, 2021, 11:48pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
Quoted from forza ivano

not like you to be factually incorrect, but he was playing Hewitt and Menayese by the beginning of February, so weeks rather than months.
Think you are being a bit unfair on Eastwood and the Shop who have also improved the squad. He was also unlucky with several of his signings getting injured, before we could tell if they were any good.
imho he has improved us as a team - we look fitter, more together as a team, more organised, more defensively solid and a bit more of a threat up front.
One thing i think we can agree on - we will probabaly know the answer to our discussion within the next 6 - 9 months, because as Ginny says, he will definitely need to hit the ground running

March 6th, FGR at home Waterfall finally got dropped, 12 games and over two months into Hurst's reign.. seemed like longer..

Forgot about Eastwood tbh, four good signings out of eleven..

Three wins in twenty three or 18 points out of a possible 69 doesn't look great for any manager.. and the football on offer has been abysmal..

I hope my gut instinct is wrong, but I think we will all be underwhelmed by Xmas.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 97
jamesgtfc
April 20, 2021, 11:51pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +12,957
Gold Stars: 190
The top half of the National League is probably on par or better than the bottom half of League 2 so most of the current crop need to be gone. Some of those decisions will be easy, some of them tough.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 97
Yoda
April 20, 2021, 11:58pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +5 / -20
Approval: -3,161
Gold Stars: 71
Clifton and mckeown bin the rest
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 97
Jarmo.Is.God
April 21, 2021, 8:14am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +6,050
Gold Stars: 86
Macca

Hewitt
Meneyese

Coke
Clifton

The shop
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 97
Flying Mariner
April 21, 2021, 9:01am
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.02
Approval: +55
Gold Stars: 1
Quoted from Bigdog

Underestimate the Conference at your peril. We only finished fourth last time, even with Bogle, Amond, Nsiala, Nolan, Disley and Tait in our side. Khouri will be loaned out to NLN and Jackson will not be retained..

Totally agree Bigdog....
It's going to be one hell of a task to get back into the football league. The current squad is way short of skill compared to the squad you mentioned.
We need major changes in personal.
UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 97
Hagrid
April 21, 2021, 9:33am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.80
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +20,392
Gold Stars: 534
keep Macca, Good Keeper despite his flaws in regards crossing etc
Batersby Cheap

Hewitt ( if he wants too)
Hendrie ( If he wants too)

Harry Clifton
Coke
Spokes ( back up)

LJL
Hanson ( if we get him on a lower wage, which wont happen)

SO paying off a ton of players, williams, scannell, rose, gibson, jackson, its gonna be a huge task

it leaves us so so threadbare, building a whole new squad
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 97
aussiej
April 21, 2021, 9:36am
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.04
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +114
Gold Stars: 17
I think we must go for it the first season and use the parachute payment....
If we try to spread the parachute payments over the next few seasons we will end up in the national league for a long time...  Let's start anew and learn how to be brave...!!  UTM...
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 97
fishcake63
April 21, 2021, 10:09am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.51
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +1,224
Gold Stars: 62
No way we get out at first time of asking , going to be a full re-build starting from scratch wont be easy if we make play offs nxt yr i'll class that as steady progress , think wrexham stockport hartlepool torquay etc will only get stronger obviously one of them could go up alongside sutton , but what us fans need to be aware of is how much budget will be left if we have to pay x amount of players contracts up ?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 97
jimgtfc
April 21, 2021, 10:11am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.64
Rep Score: +22 / -5
Approval: +5,091
Gold Stars: 45
A lot of talk of paying off players, with mentions for Williams, Rose, Jackson, Gibson and Scannell. People really need to get their head around the finances of that and keep it real. 3 of those will be on at the very least 70 grand a year, so your probably looking at around 300k plus to pay them off with the other 2 as well. That’s a massive sum just to get rid of players. Maybe transfer listing them, trying to get someone to take on their contracts and keeping them with the squad until that happens is the only financially viable thing to do.

Also, I’m not sure why people are mentioning Matete like we have a single chance of signing him. He’s not our player, there’s no way Fleetwood would let him come back here to drop down a league when he’s performed quite well, and also why on earth would he?

Some serious reality checks needed before people start getting frustrated with the new regime before we’ve even kicked a ball.

"Falls to Arnold... Arnold! That's it! Thats it! He's sealed it! Grimsby Town are back in the football league!!! Just a minute to go and Nathan Arnold makes it 3-1! Look at the scenes behind the goal! Look at the relief! The agony is finally over!!!"

John Tondeur - Wembley Stadium Sunday 15th May 2016
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 97
10 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › who will be in the team in 6 months time?

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.