Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › who will be in the team in 6 months time?
Users Browsing Forum
AdSense and 201 Guests

who will be in the team in 6 months time?

This thread currently has 15,761 views. Print
10 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next All Recommend Thread
forza ivano
April 21, 2021, 10:16am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,128
Gold Stars: 265
forgot to mention it's going to be a big few months for Wright and Pollock. Wright needs to really get serious with injury prevention work, whilst Pollock needs to have a look at what hewitt & Menayese have been doing and start working to improve.
I can't see Pollock going in the summer, given his op and that he hasn't been playing for the last 3 months, so that then begs the question do we need both him & Waterfall?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 97
ginnywings
April 21, 2021, 10:49am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.04
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,098
Gold Stars: 548
I think the phrase we will hear from the club over the summer is "it won't happen overnight".

Unless there is a shedload of cash thrown at the playing side, we will have to retain some of the present squad and replace as time goes on. Two of the big earners, Green and Hanson are at the end of their contracts, so that should free up a good chunk. Almost the entire defence apart from Waterfall have their contracts ending too, but it's there where we could do with keeping some of them. Menayese, Hewitt and Hendrie are all worth keeping for me.

Hopefully, the players who are still under contract but are not required will be told they are not in the clubs plans and are free to look elsewhere. Some of them will get new clubs and leave without cost to us.

We may have to pay off some, but I doubt it would be the full amount of their contract, especially if they can get another club and a bit of cash in their pockets.

I think that process will have already started and I expect some more to go before the end of the season.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 97
Bigdog
April 21, 2021, 11:25am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
Quoted from jimgtfc
A lot of talk of paying off players, with mentions for Williams, Rose, Jackson, Gibson and Scannell. People really need to get their head around the finances of that and keep it real. 3 of those will be on at the very least 70 grand a year, so your probably looking at around 300k plus to pay them off with the other 2 as well. That’s a massive sum just to get rid of players. Maybe transfer listing them, trying to get someone to take on their contracts and keeping them with the squad until that happens is the only financially viable thing to do.

Also, I’m not sure why people are mentioning Matete like we have a single chance of signing him. He’s not our player, there’s no way Fleetwood would let him come back here to drop down a league when he’s performed quite well, and also why on earth would he?

Some serious reality checks needed before people start getting frustrated with the new regime before we’ve even kicked a ball.

First of all, using the term paying off doesn't literally mean paying off the rest of the player's contract. Everyone knows it means telling him he's not in the club's plans and allowing him to get fixed up somewhere else. These players will not ruin their careers by sitting on the wages that GTFC are paying them.

Secondly, the players people have picked are a wish list with provisos and like myself have been chosen on ability and performances only, not the likelihood of being here.

Thirdly, if we keep all of the players that have ongoing contracts, there's not a chance that Hurst could build a promotion winning squad with what's left of the budget.

The reality will be somewhere between. I'd expect Hurst to stay along with LJL, Waterfall and a few others with Scannell, Williams, Morais and a couple more moving on.

Already had the reality check thanks, and the predicament we're in thanks to Holloway and Fenty sanctioning these contracts, and if Hurst and the new board don't get radical with trimming the squad, we're going to struggle to challenge for promotion next season..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 97
Bigdog
April 21, 2021, 11:29am
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from Hagrid
keep Macca, Good Keeper despite his flaws in regards crossing etc
Batersby Cheap

Hewitt ( if he wants too)
Hendrie ( If he wants too)

Harry Clifton
Coke
Spokes ( back up)

LJL
Hanson
( if we get him on a lower wage, which wont happen)

SO paying off a ton of players, williams, scannell, rose, gibson, jackson, its gonna be a huge task

it leaves us so so threadbare, building a whole new squad

Another season of lumping it to these two non-scoring forwards will have us closer to the NLN than the EFL..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 97
jimgtfc
April 21, 2021, 11:38am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.64
Rep Score: +22 / -5
Approval: +5,076
Gold Stars: 44
Quoted from Bigdog

First of all, using the term paying off doesn't literally mean paying off the rest of the player's contract. Everyone knows it means telling him he's not in the club's plans and allowing him to get fixed up somewhere else. These players will not ruin their careers by sitting on the wages that GTFC are paying them.

Secondly, the players people have picked are a wish list with provisos and like myself have been chosen on ability and performances only, not the likelihood of being here.

Thirdly, if we keep all of the players that have ongoing contracts, there's not a chance that Hurst could build a promotion winning squad with what's left of the budget.

The reality will be somewhere between. I'd expect Hurst to stay along with LJL, Waterfall and a few others with Scannell, Williams, Morais and a couple more moving on.

Already had the reality check thanks, and the predicament we're in thanks to Holloway and Fenty sanctioning these contracts, and if Hurst and the new board don't get radical with trimming the squad, we're going to struggle to challenge for promotion next season..

Yeah that’s pretty much what I was getting at, I think there will be a mixture of one or two leaving on mutual terms and maybe a few others finding new clubs. But some are saying (and not just on this board) that we should pay off 5 or 6 players and I just don’t think people can get their head around the money side of that. There’s a huge difference between “paying off” and telling someone they’re not required and to find a new club. I completely agree that we need a huge clear out and Hurst has one hell of a headache sorting it.

"Falls to Arnold... Arnold! That's it! Thats it! He's sealed it! Grimsby Town are back in the football league!!! Just a minute to go and Nathan Arnold makes it 3-1! Look at the scenes behind the goal! Look at the relief! The agony is finally over!!!"

John Tondeur - Wembley Stadium Sunday 15th May 2016
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 97
wekeepdreaming
April 21, 2021, 11:53am
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.01
Rep Score: +0 / -2
Approval: -150
Gold Stars: 4
Some players have already been told they are not part of the future plans and are looking for new clubs
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 97
itsnotcoditshaddock
April 21, 2021, 11:59am

Pontoonite
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +4 / -3
Approval: +312
I think who we would like to keep and who we will keep will be two completely different lists.

Who I think we will keep:
Macca
Habergham
Pollock
Coke
Clifton
Wright
John Lewis

And then obviously the first year pros.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 97
ska face
April 21, 2021, 12:18pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,560
Gold Stars: 839
Quoted from Bigdog

Agree. He will be in charge. Had an open mind when he returned. My assessment is that he's been very disappointing. Didn't like him slagging off the existing squad in December. Cost us any new manager bounce.

Some logic that. A load of dogshít players would’ve instantly become good if the new manager had said so? Holloway had spent the first half of the season saying how great they all were, and it was clear they were all dog.
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 97
Bigdog
April 21, 2021, 12:19pm
Whiskey Drinker
I think who we would like to keep and who we will keep will be two completely different lists.

Who I think we will keep:
Macca
Habergham
Pollock
Coke
Clifton
Wright
John Lewis

And then obviously the first year pros.

I think that's a reasonable assessment, although I'd have thought Waterfall will be on that list. I'd expect the loanees, Hewitt and Hendrie to all be EFL players next season. It's not a great starting point if we're looking at getting promoted. Imho I think we need to freshen up the keeper's position, Habergham isn't the player he was, Pollock is still developing and has an obvious flaw in his game, Waterfall can only be a back up, Wright is injury prone and LJL is very limited and way past his best and fitness peak. That leaves Coke and Clifton who I'd be comfortable with in and around the starting eleven. Not a confidence giving starting point. Here's hoping Hurst has the persuasive powers and funds to convince three or four of our better performers this season to either stay or sign from Fleetwood and Mansfield. Interesting few weeks seeing how the squad is trimmed and shapes up..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 97
Bigdog
April 21, 2021, 12:32pm
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from ska face

Some logic that. A load of dogshít players would’ve instantly become good if the new manager had said so? Holloway had spent the first half of the season saying how great they all were, and it was clear they were all dog.

The players weren't up to standard true, but that same bunch of players had won at Cheltenham, Orient and Crawley and had just beaten Scunthorpe. After Hurst said that, we picked up two points in the next nine games and slid into the relegation places. I think it's logical to think that Hurst could have some ability in boosting the existing players' confidence to pick up more than two points. How often have we seen the new manager bounce elsewhere, better results with the same players? The disturbing fact is that Hurst has done even worse than Holloway this season on a points per game basis, even after signing eleven new players. I'm not saying Hurst is a poorer manager than Holloway, but his mistakes and record should not be brushed under the carpet and be ignored. Slagging off the squad he inherited publicly was a big mistake imho and seems logical enough when comparing results before he arrived to the ones directly after..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 97
10 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › who will be in the team in 6 months time?

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.