Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › who will be in the team in 6 months time?
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 338 Guests

who will be in the team in 6 months time?

This thread currently has 15,674 views. Print
10 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next All Recommend Thread
jamesgtfc
April 21, 2021, 12:35pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +12,815
Gold Stars: 187
I think we need to take drastic action. Hurst needs to be allowed to build a 24 man squad (including first year pros) of his choosing. If that means a few players have to rot in the reserves, so be it.

Hopefully most of them can convince some other mug to take on their contract.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 97
Jarmo.Is.God
April 21, 2021, 12:54pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +6,051
Gold Stars: 86
Since Hurst has been in charge (21 games), Spokes has featured in 10 games, only starting 3
I Believe he signed a 1 year deal, when eventually announced, so would surprise me if he's offered a deal.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 97
ska face
April 21, 2021, 1:09pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.20
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,337
Gold Stars: 820
Quoted from Bigdog

The players weren't up to standard true, but that same bunch of players had won at Cheltenham, Orient and Crawley and had just beaten Scunthorpe. After Hurst said that, we picked up two points in the next nine games and slid into the relegation places. I think it's logical to think that Hurst could have some ability in boosting the existing players' confidence to pick up more than two points. How often have we seen the new manager bounce elsewhere, better results with the same players? The disturbing fact is that Hurst has done even worse than Holloway this season on a points per game basis, even after signing eleven new players. I'm not saying Hurst is a poorer manager than Holloway, but his mistakes and record should not be brushed under the carpet and be ignored. Slagging off the squad he inherited publicly was a big mistake imho and seems logical enough when comparing results before he arrived to the ones directly after..

Windsor and Edwards, the only two players with any quality early in the season (and central to the wins at Orient and Cheltenham) had left the club before Hurst had taken his first game. That group of players had lost 7 of the 11 previous games, including losses against Bradford (who were struggling), Colchester, Southend, Morecambe and getting twátted off Tranmere (5 nil) and Exeter (4-1 at home). You also had Tilley and Preston leave shortly after following injury, and most of the other loanees recalled - this is after Day publicly stated the Jan transfer policy is “1 out, 1 in”. What was left was a load of crocks and players who weren’t up to scratch, players signed from Taunton, Aberystwyth, Folkestone and Halesowen. Like I said - Holloway had spent the first half of the season telling us what world beaters we had, and for all the confidence that gave us, we were still hovering just above the trap door. Think your stats need looking at too as we’ve never done 2 points in 9 games under Hurst.
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 97
Bigdog
April 21, 2021, 2:16pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.14
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
Quoted from ska face

Windsor and Edwards, the only two players with any quality early in the season (and central to the wins at Orient and Cheltenham) had left the club before Hurst had taken his first game. That group of players had lost 7 of the 11 previous games, including losses against Bradford (who were struggling), Colchester, Southend, Morecambe and getting twátted off Tranmere (5 nil) and Exeter (4-1 at home). You also had Tilley and Preston leave shortly after following injury, and most of the other loanees recalled - this is after Day publicly stated the Jan transfer policy is “1 out, 1 in”. What was left was a load of crocks and players who weren’t up to scratch, players signed from Taunton, Aberystwyth, Folkestone and Halesowen. Like I said - Holloway had spent the first half of the season telling us what world beaters we had, and for all the confidence that gave us, we were still hovering just above the trap door. Think your stats need looking at too as we’ve never done 2 points in 9 games under Hurst.

My bad. It was two points in his first eight games..

Fact is.. I was open-minded when Hurst came back, even trusted him to not get us relegated from the position we were in with 27 games to go and a transfer window. After the past 23 games, I've seen very little so far to be in the "In Hurst We Trust" camp to get us out of the Conference. I'm open-minded enough to change my mind again after his recruitment in the transfer window and see where we are after the first dozen games or so..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 97
arryarryarry
April 21, 2021, 2:21pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +9,946
Gold Stars: 113
Quoted from DB
Depends on his budget. For me Macca, Hab, Clifton, Coke, LJL, Jackson.Kouri, and Adlard. If they can be persuaded Hendrie, Hewitt, Matete, and Menayese. We also need 2/3 strikers, LJL holds the ball week but we do need out and out strikers as the missed chances have shown.

You mean basically the same squad that is getting us relegated?
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 97
arryarryarry
April 21, 2021, 2:27pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Yoda
Clifton and mckeown bin the rest

To be honest I don't really think Clifton has come on like some thought he might. In my opinion he is probably not good enough for a hopefully promotion winning team.
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 97
pontoonlew
April 21, 2021, 2:28pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +36 / -15
Approval: +8,721
Gold Stars: 163
Said it previously but it’d be a massive mistake to completely gut the entire squad IMO. A bit of continuity for a squad who have done fairly okay in the past few months would leave us on good grounds.

I’m of the opinion that the big reason so many teams come down here and struggle is they have to start from absolute scratch and it takes years to build up any continuity.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 97
arryarryarry
April 21, 2021, 2:32pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from ska face

If I remember correctly most on here didn't rate the players you mentioned apart from Edwards but even then some didn't rate him but I'm sure there were many posts suggesting some were glad to see the back of the other 3.  

Private Message
Reply: 47 - 97
forza ivano
April 21, 2021, 2:33pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.47
Rep Score: +73 / -18
Approval: +15,136
Gold Stars: 265
Williams is a frustrating one. If Hurst could get a tune out of him he's got he ability & pedigree to be the best player in the division, but i wonder if the injuries have 'done for him' as much psychologically as physically

i'd be interested to know which players have already been told to look for pastures new
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 97
arryarryarry
April 21, 2021, 2:36pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from pontoonlew
Said it previously but it’d be a massive mistake to completely gut the entire squad IMO. A bit of continuity for a squad who have done fairly okay in the past few months would leave us on good grounds.

I’m of the opinion that the big reason so many teams come down here and struggle is they have to start from absolute scratch and it takes years to build up any continuity.

Sorry Lew but we need pratically a whole new squad, the current shower have shown that they struggle to score goals and we need at least two decent forwards and a midfield that can create chances.

As for the defence, it wouldn't surprise me if those that have been playing better recently would prefer to stay in the EFL.
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 97
10 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › who will be in the team in 6 months time?

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.