12 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 Next All Recommend Thread
GrimRob
March 11, 2021, 12:19pm

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,403
Gold Stars: 113
Quoted from IlkleyMariner

Don’t think it’s going to happen, but is concerning that we are getting more southern teams in the league whilst losing northern and midlands clubs.

Isn't that inevitable though? When football started many southern towns would look down on football (and rugby league), preferring rugger and cricket. Nowadays it's pretty much the most popular sport in 95% of towns.

Football has expanded along with the population, that's why we need 4 divisions in the Football League.

If Sutton get into the league it will be the first-ever club in Surrey (although technically I think it's in Greater London now).

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 30 - 112
DB
March 11, 2021, 12:40pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.49
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,000
Gold Stars: 386
The National league, is as strong now as it has ever been. A team struggling in Div 2 of The Football League will find life tough in the league below. Anyone who thinks it will be easy to simply bounce back up, because of our history, will be in for a shock. We all know how hard it was last time. Well let me tell you having watched that level of football a fair bit over the last few years, it aint got any less competitive. A "good" National league team would be comfortable mid table Div 2. Just a heads up about next year, it won't be easy. UTM

I agree, you just have to look at all the ex league teams are in it. Chesterfield, Notts Cty, Hartlepool, Yeovil, Torquay, Stockport, Wrexham, Aldershot, Barnet, Halifax and Dagenham under other guises.

Only 2 are going up and Sutton seem to be favourite, so probably one ex league team leaves loads of them.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 112
Gaffer58
March 11, 2021, 2:12pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.88
Rep Score: +6 / -8
Approval: +4,096
Gold Stars: 33
If we go down then I agree with others that it will just not be a case of turning up and winning in the conference. For a start, how many of this years players, and I believe our game numbers is something like 45/46 players used, are better then most of the conference players. Also it’s a fair bet that Hurst will still be in charge, well it took him 5 years last time.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 112
BobbyCummingsTackle
March 11, 2021, 2:28pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.54
Rep Score: +8 / -4
Location: Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right, stuck in the middle...
Approval: +7,271
Gold Stars: 304
Stockport were very confident that they would get out of the NL this season and have been a little bit surprised at the scrap they're having to get a play off place.

Miss Scunthorpe. Not a beauty pageant, just sound advice.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 112
RonMariner
March 11, 2021, 3:03pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.42
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,669
Gold Stars: 226
Stockport were very confident that they would get out of the NL this season and have been a little bit surprised at the scrap they're having to get a play off place.

The problem is that with only one automatic promotion place, if a club spends big (like Crawley, Fleetwood, and Luton did in different seasons while we were down there), the best you can hope for is a scramble for the play offs. And as we saw, the play offs can be a bit of a lottery or decided by dubious refereeing decisions.

There are now so many decent sized former EFL clubs down there that getting out is far from easy. If we go down this season there is no telling how long it will take to escape.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 112
grimsby pete
March 11, 2021, 3:16pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.80
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,792
Gold Stars: 222
We might spend big Ron.  

We just need Jason to tell us his plans when the takeover goes through.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 112
Swansea_Mariner
March 11, 2021, 6:22pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +22 / -3
Approval: +6,443
Gold Stars: 63
I think one of the only positives is that the vast majority of those 40 odd players are out of contract. A couple, yes will probably have to be paid up to get them off the books but hopefully we will be looking at a full scale rebuild, and a clean slate.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 112
louth_in_the_south
March 11, 2021, 8:26pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +25 / -12
Approval: +5,674
Gold Stars: 95
You’d think that a lot of the teams in the NL will be skint next season and will have the extra expense of paying the debt that they’ve pretty much all saddled themselves with to finish this season which will give us an advantage. Hopefully we’ll escape but if we don’t the new owners will be looking for a quick return to the league and give us a more than competitive budget.

Lower F5
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 112
Cayman_mariner
March 11, 2021, 9:06pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +10 / 0
Approval: +483
Gold Stars: 3
Quoted from louth_in_the_south
You’d think that a lot of the teams in the NL will be skint next season and will have the extra expense of paying the debt that they’ve pretty much all saddled themselves with to finish this season which will give us an advantage. Hopefully we’ll escape but if we don’t the new owners will be looking for a quick return to the league and give us a more than competitive budget.

And don't we also get parachute payments too? With that, the possibility of the Dembele money coming in, proper investment from new owners and not being saddled with loans that the other clubs are burdened with, if the worst is to happen at least we'd be in a decent position to rebuild and have a proper go at coming straight back. Still hoping for a miracle and that this situation doesn't materialise.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 112
KingstonMariner
March 11, 2021, 9:09pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.07
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from GrimRob

Isn't that inevitable though? When football started many southern towns would look down on football (and rugby league), preferring rugger and cricket. Nowadays it's pretty much the most popular sport in 95% of towns.

Football has expanded along with the population, that's why we need 4 divisions in the Football League.

If Sutton get into the league it will be the first-ever club in Surrey (although technically I think it's in Greater London now).

I remember an article in WSC over 30 years ago about how geographically skewed League football was. It pointed out the size of MK and the lack of a League club there. IIRC it also mentioned Crawley, a growing new town that could support a football team. Sadly prophetic article.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 112
12 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › National League News & Updates

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.