GollyGTFC
March 8, 2021, 4:44pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.68
Rep Score: +19 / -11
Approval: +5,977
Gold Stars: 356
Quoted from forza ivano
thought i'd start this ( as most seem to have accepted our fate), so that we could keep up to date with the goings on in the Non League hell that awaits

can be both on the pitch and off the pitch stuff.

On the pitch Sutton are looking good for the automatic promotion place, as Torquay implode due to their horrendous injury list. Wouldn't be unhappy to see that as Torquay is always a fun weekend away and Sutton is just horrible to get to

Off the field various clubs are in danger of getting themselves into a pickle financially .We've heard about Kings Lynn and Wealdstone becoming worried, whilst Halifax were forced into taking out a loan. The latest is Borehamwood, who seemed to be 1 of the better run outfits, but even they have got big problems

https://www.borehamwoodfootballclub.co.uk/uncategorized/sport-england-say-no/

the other issue worth keeping an eye on is the possibility of  Tier 2 national League, made up of the 18-20 clubs at that level who want to play on. That means there may still be some  clubs relegated from the Nnational League

https://www.eastbourneherald.c.....gue-division-3154538

You what?

West Sutton station is right next to the ground and is on the Thameslink Sutton Loop. So you can get direct trains from Bedford, Elstree & Borehamwood & St Pancras International (2 minute walk from Kings Cross).

Makes it about the easiest ground in Greater London to get to.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 10 - 112
MarinerDevil
March 8, 2021, 4:47pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.38
Rep Score: +5 / -1
Approval: +2,739
Gold Stars: 80
Quoted Text
It now feels that those assurances were perhaps only given to ensure we supported the continuation of the National League at Step 1.

No excrement.  The ex-league clubs have had the smaller clubs over a barrel to ensure their promotion hopes are maintained, cheered on by their fans on Twitter who still seem to be paranoid that the likes of Grimsby and Southend are going to try to legally intervene.  Last I heard they were all clamouring to see the likes of Dover punished to dissuade others from refusing to play.  Just shows what a bloodbath that league is: clubs desperate to escape, others on the brink of destruction.  Can't wait to go back.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 112
KingstonMariner
March 8, 2021, 4:59pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.07
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from Mikey_345
Would rather see Sutton stay in the NL. They’re about 5 minutes from my house!

I’m with you on this mikey. Direct bus for me. Hell it’s even walkable - bit of a hike but I walked home from near Gander Green Lane recently. Can be back quickly after the match for fish and chips at Salt n Vinegar in New Malden then over the road to the Watchman. Just a shame the Korean karaoke bar has been demolished, so no ‘after hours’ drinking.

Unless we stay up by some miracle.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 112
DB
March 8, 2021, 5:29pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.49
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +3,998
Gold Stars: 386

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 112
Abdul19
March 8, 2021, 5:39pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,554
Gold Stars: 215
We'll only be down for a year anyway, we'll piss that tinpot league.

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 112
DB
March 8, 2021, 5:43pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Abdul19

I'll have a drink of what your on

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 112
BenBB
March 8, 2021, 5:47pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.20
Rep Score: +1 / -2
Approval: +843
Gold Stars: 30
Quoted from Abdul19

If the consortium deal goes through and we get the budget, could be interesting.

Although it's Grimsby, we'd be lucky with a mid-table finish 😂

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 16 - 112
cmackenzie4
March 8, 2021, 5:55pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 11.27
Rep Score: +130 / -10
Approval: +14,345
Gold Stars: 34
Quoted from DB

I'll have a drink of what your on

From past experience reading Abdul’s posts it will be Tongue in cheek DB

Grimsby and proud!
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 112
malkamalka
March 8, 2021, 6:28pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.15
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +148
Gold Stars: 17
Quoted from RichMariner
It's just a horrible mess in general.

The National League has a duty to look after and protect its member clubs. It just doesn't feel like they're doing that. They wrote their own get-out clause by putting it to a vote, so they can shift the blame and responsibility onto those clubs who voted to continue the season.

If it all goes mammaries up and a couple of clubs go bust, well, ain't nothing to do with us, gov. It was their decision, not ours.

There's been no responsibility or leadership from the National League board at any point. It was probably them who cocked up in the first place and failed to gain clarity on what form the money would arrive (loans or grants) although, where this government is involved, I don't want to absolve them of the blame either.

Seems to be a trait in England. Offer a carrot; get the desired outcome them remove the carrot.

Just like the Tories did with Brexit.

But who's to blame?

"Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens." (Jimi Hendrix)
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 112
DB
March 8, 2021, 6:44pm
Barley Wine Drinker
The outcome with Dover will be interesting. According to their Chairman the NL broke their own rules by getting clubs to put themselves into debt.

Their is also the integrity of the league when it is suggested that some clubs may furlough the 1st team and put out youth/unpaid players in teams just to fulfil fixtures.

Depending upon the wording of the NL rules I think any club, be it Town, Barrow or Southend would have s good legal case to stay in league 2.

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 112
12 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › National League News & Updates

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.