12 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 All Recommend Thread
forza ivano
March 8, 2021, 2:56pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,128
Gold Stars: 265
thought i'd start this ( as most seem to have accepted our fate), so that we could keep up to date with the goings on in the Non League hell that awaits

can be both on the pitch and off the pitch stuff.

On the pitch Sutton are looking good for the automatic promotion place, as Torquay implode due to their horrendous injury list. Wouldn't be unhappy to see that as Torquay is always a fun weekend away and Sutton is just horrible to get to

Off the field various clubs are in danger of getting themselves into a pickle financially .We've heard about Kings Lynn and Wealdstone becoming worried, whilst Halifax were forced into taking out a loan. The latest is Borehamwood, who seemed to be 1 of the better run outfits, but even they have got big problems

https://www.borehamwoodfootballclub.co.uk/uncategorized/sport-england-say-no/

the other issue worth keeping an eye on is the possibility of  Tier 2 national League, made up of the 18-20 clubs at that level who want to play on. That means there may still be some  clubs relegated from the Nnational League

https://www.eastbourneherald.c.....gue-division-3154538
Logged Offline
Private Message
moosey_club
March 8, 2021, 3:01pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,206
Gold Stars: 224
In these uncertain tmes i wouldnt look too far ahead in anything football related. Whilst football in the top 5 tiers may limp over the line this season ....i still dont see next season being a great improvement , really cant see full houses being allowed by August so i would think next season may even be a challenge for some teams.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWL
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 112
pontoonlew
March 8, 2021, 3:17pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +36 / -15
Approval: +8,841
Gold Stars: 167
Quoted from moosey_club
In these uncertain tmes i wouldnt look too far ahead in anything football related. Whilst football in the top 5 tiers may limp over the line this season ....i still dont see next season being a great improvement , really cant see full houses being allowed by August so i would think next season may even be a challenge for some teams.

Sounds harsh but any team (aside from the ones who voted void) now only have themselves to blame for any financial hardship and they’ll have to live with those consequences. No sympathy from me.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 112
Mikey_345
March 8, 2021, 3:21pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +11 / -1
Approval: +5,308
Gold Stars: 100
Would rather see Sutton stay in the NL. They’re about 5 minutes from my house!

All Town aren’t we

@GTFCLondon

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 112
arryarryarry
March 8, 2021, 3:47pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,041
Gold Stars: 116
Quoted from moosey_club

I agree, I know the NL are continuing at the moment but if there is another covid explosion next season and fans are barred from attending matches they may well end up voiding next season which would be a nightmare for us should we go down as we would be condemned to at least another season there.
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 112
forza ivano
March 8, 2021, 3:53pm

Exile
Quoted from arryarryarry

I agree, I know the NL are continuing at the moment but if there is another covid explosion next season and fans are barred from attending matches they may well end up voiding next season which would be a nightmare for us should we go down as we would be condemned to at least another season there.

difficult to see another covid explosion/lockdown when 95-99% of the u.k. adults will be fully vaccinated and plans are already in hand for an autumn/winter booster jab.
They are already planning for half capacity events in the summer ( the 4000 limit mentioned would, i'm sure, be sufficient for us in the short term)
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 112
kafunanapar140909
March 8, 2021, 4:27pm

Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.12
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +575
Gold Stars: 50
Quoted from forza ivano
The latest is Borehamwood, who seemed to be 1 of the better run outfits, but even they have got big problems

That is one heck of a slap in the face for Boreham Wood. They seem to be being penalised for being a well run club!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 112
kafunanapar140909
March 8, 2021, 4:31pm

Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.12
Approval: +575
Quoted from forza ivano
the other issue worth keeping an eye on is the possibility of  Tier 2 national League, made up of the 18-20 clubs at that level who want to play on. That means there may still be some  clubs relegated from the National League

I'm also not entirely sure how they can start a new 18-club "National League 2" at this stage of the season without compromising the National League's sporting integrity.

(Though arguably, with the nonsense that has been this season, they have already lost their integrity!)
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 112
Swansea_Mariner
March 8, 2021, 4:33pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +22 / -3
Approval: +6,430
Gold Stars: 63
Quelle surprise Boreham Wood, they've got themselves in a right pickle there. I've got little sympathy unfortunately as they had the opportunity to void the season and limit their debt and didn't take it. Given that they'd already been stitched up it's a case of Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice...
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 112
RichMariner
March 8, 2021, 4:42pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,134
Gold Stars: 209
It's just a horrible mess in general.

The National League has a duty to look after and protect its member clubs. It just doesn't feel like they're doing that. They wrote their own get-out clause by putting it to a vote, so they can shift the blame and responsibility onto those clubs who voted to continue the season.

If it all goes mammaries up and a couple of clubs go bust, well, ain't nothing to do with us, gov. It was their decision, not ours.

There's been no responsibility or leadership from the National League board at any point. It was probably them who cocked up in the first place and failed to gain clarity on what form the money would arrive (loans or grants) although, where this government is involved, I don't want to absolve them of the blame either.

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 9 - 112
GollyGTFC
March 8, 2021, 4:44pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.68
Rep Score: +19 / -11
Approval: +5,973
Gold Stars: 356
Quoted from forza ivano
thought i'd start this ( as most seem to have accepted our fate), so that we could keep up to date with the goings on in the Non League hell that awaits

can be both on the pitch and off the pitch stuff.

On the pitch Sutton are looking good for the automatic promotion place, as Torquay implode due to their horrendous injury list. Wouldn't be unhappy to see that as Torquay is always a fun weekend away and Sutton is just horrible to get to

Off the field various clubs are in danger of getting themselves into a pickle financially .We've heard about Kings Lynn and Wealdstone becoming worried, whilst Halifax were forced into taking out a loan. The latest is Borehamwood, who seemed to be 1 of the better run outfits, but even they have got big problems

the other issue worth keeping an eye on is the possibility of  Tier 2 national League, made up of the 18-20 clubs at that level who want to play on. That means there may still be some  clubs relegated from the Nnational League

You what?

West Sutton station is right next to the ground and is on the Thameslink Sutton Loop. So you can get direct trains from Bedford, Elstree & Borehamwood & St Pancras International (2 minute walk from Kings Cross).

Makes it about the easiest ground in Greater London to get to.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 10 - 112
MarinerDevil
March 8, 2021, 4:47pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.37
Rep Score: +5 / -1
Approval: +2,706
Gold Stars: 80
Quoted Text
It now feels that those assurances were perhaps only given to ensure we supported the continuation of the National League at Step 1.

No excrement.  The ex-league clubs have had the smaller clubs over a barrel to ensure their promotion hopes are maintained, cheered on by their fans on Twitter who still seem to be paranoid that the likes of Grimsby and Southend are going to try to legally intervene.  Last I heard they were all clamouring to see the likes of Dover punished to dissuade others from refusing to play.  Just shows what a bloodbath that league is: clubs desperate to escape, others on the brink of destruction.  Can't wait to go back.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 112
KingstonMariner
March 8, 2021, 4:59pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.08
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from Mikey_345
Would rather see Sutton stay in the NL. They’re about 5 minutes from my house!

I’m with you on this mikey. Direct bus for me. Hell it’s even walkable - bit of a hike but I walked home from near Gander Green Lane recently. Can be back quickly after the match for fish and chips at Salt n Vinegar in New Malden then over the road to the Watchman. Just a shame the Korean karaoke bar has been demolished, so no ‘after hours’ drinking.

Unless we stay up by some miracle.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 112
DB
March 8, 2021, 5:29pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.51
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +3,973
Gold Stars: 386

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 112
Abdul19
March 8, 2021, 5:39pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,515
Gold Stars: 215
We'll only be down for a year anyway, we'll piss that tinpot league.

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 112
DB
March 8, 2021, 5:43pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Abdul19

I'll have a drink of what your on

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 112
BenBB
March 8, 2021, 5:47pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.20
Rep Score: +1 / -2
Approval: +843
Gold Stars: 30
Quoted from Abdul19

If the consortium deal goes through and we get the budget, could be interesting.

Although it's Grimsby, we'd be lucky with a mid-table finish 😂

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 16 - 112
cmackenzie4
March 8, 2021, 5:55pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 11.27
Rep Score: +130 / -10
Approval: +14,335
Gold Stars: 33
Quoted from DB

I'll have a drink of what your on

From past experience reading Abdul’s posts it will be Tongue in cheek DB

Grimsby and proud!
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 112
malkamalka
March 8, 2021, 6:28pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.15
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +148
Gold Stars: 17
Quoted from RichMariner
It's just a horrible mess in general.

The National League has a duty to look after and protect its member clubs. It just doesn't feel like they're doing that. They wrote their own get-out clause by putting it to a vote, so they can shift the blame and responsibility onto those clubs who voted to continue the season.

If it all goes mammaries up and a couple of clubs go bust, well, ain't nothing to do with us, gov. It was their decision, not ours.

There's been no responsibility or leadership from the National League board at any point. It was probably them who cocked up in the first place and failed to gain clarity on what form the money would arrive (loans or grants) although, where this government is involved, I don't want to absolve them of the blame either.

Seems to be a trait in England. Offer a carrot; get the desired outcome them remove the carrot.

Just like the Tories did with Brexit.

But who's to blame?

"Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens." (Jimi Hendrix)
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 112
DB
March 8, 2021, 6:44pm
Barley Wine Drinker
The outcome with Dover will be interesting. According to their Chairman the NL broke their own rules by getting clubs to put themselves into debt.

Their is also the integrity of the league when it is suggested that some clubs may furlough the 1st team and put out youth/unpaid players in teams just to fulfil fixtures.

Depending upon the wording of the NL rules I think any club, be it Town, Barrow or Southend would have s good legal case to stay in league 2.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 112
forza ivano
March 10, 2021, 7:38pm

Exile
bump!

Sutton now 2 points clear at the top with games in hand

Vanarama extend their sponsorship deal for another 3 years

2 not unexpected managerial casualties today - Jimmy Shan at Solihull following their 5-0 home defeat to Stockport and Tim Flowers at Barnet after their 5th successive defeat
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 112
IlkleyMariner
March 10, 2021, 7:41pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +12 / -1
Approval: +2,978
Gold Stars: 69
Not relevant to us
We will still be l2 next year....
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 112
KingstonMariner
March 10, 2021, 7:52pm
Meths Drinker
Just my bloody luck if Sutton make it to the League as Town go down.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 112
DB
March 10, 2021, 7:55pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from forza ivano
bump!

2 not unexpected managerial casualties today - Jimmy Shan at Solihull following their 5-0 home defeat to Stockport and Tim Flowers at Barnet after their 5th successive defeat

So how the hell does Hurst get away with it

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 112
jamesgtfc
March 10, 2021, 11:15pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +12,941
Gold Stars: 190
Quoted from forza ivano
bump!

Who went first? Wouldn't be surprised to see Flowers back at Solihull.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 112
bawarmy
March 11, 2021, 12:04am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.25
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +1,962
Gold Stars: 31
Quoted from IlkleyMariner
Not relevant to us

Can’t believe you got red crosses for that!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 112
DB
March 11, 2021, 12:23am
Barley Wine Drinker
Not relevant to us

Can’t believe you got red crosses for that!

Trust me you can get a red cross for anything, even for supporting Town

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 112
Shipwrecked In Gainsborough
March 11, 2021, 12:43am
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.04
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +248
Gold Stars: 2
The National league, is as strong now as it has ever been. A team struggling in Div 2 of The Football League will find life tough in the league below. Anyone who thinks it will be easy to simply bounce back up, because of our history, will be in for a shock. We all know how hard it was last time. Well let me tell you having watched that level of football a fair bit over the last few years, it aint got any less competitive. A "good" National league team would be comfortable mid table Div 2. Just a heads up about next year, it won't be easy. UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 112
sutton mariner
March 11, 2021, 11:43am
Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.45
Rep Score: +52 / -6
Approval: +1,135
Gold Stars: 49
A sad sad day for me when my local non league team become a football league team and my ‘real’ team become non league again

I Make Movies #UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 112
IlkleyMariner
March 11, 2021, 11:53am
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from sutton mariner
A sad sad day for me when my local non league team become a football league team and my ‘real’ team become non league again

Don’t think it’s going to happen, but is concerning that we are getting more southern teams in the league whilst losing northern and midlands clubs.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 112
GrimRob
March 11, 2021, 12:19pm

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,397
Gold Stars: 113

Don’t think it’s going to happen, but is concerning that we are getting more southern teams in the league whilst losing northern and midlands clubs.

Isn't that inevitable though? When football started many southern towns would look down on football (and rugby league), preferring rugger and cricket. Nowadays it's pretty much the most popular sport in 95% of towns.

Football has expanded along with the population, that's why we need 4 divisions in the Football League.

If Sutton get into the league it will be the first-ever club in Surrey (although technically I think it's in Greater London now).

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 30 - 112
DB
March 11, 2021, 12:40pm
Barley Wine Drinker
The National league, is as strong now as it has ever been. A team struggling in Div 2 of The Football League will find life tough in the league below. Anyone who thinks it will be easy to simply bounce back up, because of our history, will be in for a shock. We all know how hard it was last time. Well let me tell you having watched that level of football a fair bit over the last few years, it aint got any less competitive. A "good" National league team would be comfortable mid table Div 2. Just a heads up about next year, it won't be easy. UTM

I agree, you just have to look at all the ex league teams are in it. Chesterfield, Notts Cty, Hartlepool, Yeovil, Torquay, Stockport, Wrexham, Aldershot, Barnet, Halifax and Dagenham under other guises.

Only 2 are going up and Sutton seem to be favourite, so probably one ex league team leaves loads of them.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 112
Gaffer58
March 11, 2021, 2:12pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.88
Rep Score: +6 / -8
Approval: +4,096
If we go down then I agree with others that it will just not be a case of turning up and winning in the conference. For a start, how many of this years players, and I believe our game numbers is something like 45/46 players used, are better then most of the conference players. Also it’s a fair bet that Hurst will still be in charge, well it took him 5 years last time.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 112
BobbyCummingsTackle
March 11, 2021, 2:28pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.54
Rep Score: +8 / -4
Location: Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right, stuck in the middle...
Approval: +7,192
Gold Stars: 291
Stockport were very confident that they would get out of the NL this season and have been a little bit surprised at the scrap they're having to get a play off place.

Miss Scunthorpe. Not a beauty pageant, just sound advice.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 112
RonMariner
March 11, 2021, 3:03pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.41
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,540
Stockport were very confident that they would get out of the NL this season and have been a little bit surprised at the scrap they're having to get a play off place.

The problem is that with only one automatic promotion place, if a club spends big (like Crawley, Fleetwood, and Luton did in different seasons while we were down there), the best you can hope for is a scramble for the play offs. And as we saw, the play offs can be a bit of a lottery or decided by dubious refereeing decisions.

There are now so many decent sized former EFL clubs down there that getting out is far from easy. If we go down this season there is no telling how long it will take to escape.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 112
grimsby pete
March 11, 2021, 3:16pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.81
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,781
Gold Stars: 222
We might spend big Ron.  

We just need Jason to tell us his plans when the takeover goes through.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 112
Swansea_Mariner
March 11, 2021, 6:22pm
Whiskey Drinker
Rep Score: +22 / -3
Approval: +6,430
Gold Stars: 63
I think one of the only positives is that the vast majority of those 40 odd players are out of contract. A couple, yes will probably have to be paid up to get them off the books but hopefully we will be looking at a full scale rebuild, and a clean slate.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 112
louth_in_the_south
March 11, 2021, 8:26pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +24 / -12
Approval: +5,656
Gold Stars: 94
You’d think that a lot of the teams in the NL will be skint next season and will have the extra expense of paying the debt that they’ve pretty much all saddled themselves with to finish this season which will give us an advantage. Hopefully we’ll escape but if we don’t the new owners will be looking for a quick return to the league and give us a more than competitive budget.

Lower F5
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 112
Cayman_mariner
March 11, 2021, 9:06pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +10 / 0
Approval: +483
Gold Stars: 3
Quoted from louth_in_the_south
You’d think that a lot of the teams in the NL will be skint next season and will have the extra expense of paying the debt that they’ve pretty much all saddled themselves with to finish this season which will give us an advantage. Hopefully we’ll escape but if we don’t the new owners will be looking for a quick return to the league and give us a more than competitive budget.

And don't we also get parachute payments too? With that, the possibility of the Dembele money coming in, proper investment from new owners and not being saddled with loans that the other clubs are burdened with, if the worst is to happen at least we'd be in a decent position to rebuild and have a proper go at coming straight back. Still hoping for a miracle and that this situation doesn't materialise.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 112
KingstonMariner
March 11, 2021, 9:09pm
Meths Drinker
Quoted from GrimRob

Isn't that inevitable though? When football started many southern towns would look down on football (and rugby league), preferring rugger and cricket. Nowadays it's pretty much the most popular sport in 95% of towns.

Football has expanded along with the population, that's why we need 4 divisions in the Football League.

If Sutton get into the league it will be the first-ever club in Surrey (although technically I think it's in Greater London now).

I remember an article in WSC over 30 years ago about how geographically skewed League football was. It pointed out the size of MK and the lack of a League club there. IIRC it also mentioned Crawley, a growing new town that could support a football team. Sadly prophetic article.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 112
oochiad
March 11, 2021, 10:14pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.62
Rep Score: +9 / -3
Approval: +3,680
Gold Stars: 27
Just imagine if we get relegated and then have a decent budget and no debt like most of the NL clubs will have as is being stated by some, we could have a season somewhere near the top of the league and maybe makes the playoffs! Imagine how much fun that’ll be compared to this season........ well it’s one way of looking at it if the worst happens.......UTM!! We’re staying up!!!
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 112
RichMariner
March 12, 2021, 11:08am
Brandy Drinker
I remember winning at Crawley in our first game of 2010/11, although the performance wasn't great, and then we lost 2-1 at home to Hayes & Yeading.

I think we all turned up thinking this tiny team with about 30 fans in the corner of the Osmond would be blown away even by our average side, because we're Grimsby Town.

The reality, of course, was that their players were on par with ours. There comes a point when players on £250 a week are just as good as the fallen players who still command four or five times as much.

Connell was the only player in our squad that season who was better than non-league. Everyone else was bang average, and it makes me wonder how low down the league we'd have finished had it not been for his goals.

Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 41 - 112
ginnywings
March 12, 2021, 11:26am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.04
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,098
Gold Stars: 548
I keep thinking about York. They got back into the league before we did, started to look to the future and their new ground, but totally took their eye off the ball regarding the team. They slid back out of the league and kept sliding to NLN. They lasted 4 seasons back in the EFL, escaped a relegation battle once, but not the second time. They are still in the NLN.

If we drop out of the league, we cannot afford to get marooned down there. Chuck money at it because it will cost more in the long run if we don't get out sharpish.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 112
Lincoln Mariner 56
March 12, 2021, 12:22pm
Brandy Drinker
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,650
Gold Stars: 72
[quote=316]I remember winning at Crawley in our first game of 2010/11, although the performance wasn't great, and then we lost 2-1 at home to Hayes & Yeading.

I remember the winning goal in the Hayes & Yeading game, from a slightly portly midfield player who clearly had more ability than commitment, which was a left foot screamer from 30 yards into the top corner and still remains one of the better goals I have seen in my 55 years of visiting BP.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 112
supertown
March 12, 2021, 12:29pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +25 / -9
Approval: +3,437
Gold Stars: 53
Doesn’t matter how much you try to flower it up , the NL is utter excrement to be in
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 112
mariner91
March 12, 2021, 12:35pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,578
Gold Stars: 260
Quoted from ginnywings
I keep thinking about York. They got back into the league before we did, started to look to the future and their new ground, but totally took their eye off the ball regarding the team. They slid back out of the league and kept sliding to NLN. They lasted 4 seasons back in the EFL, escaped a relegation battle once, but not the second time. They are still in the NLN.

If we drop out of the league, we cannot afford to get marooned down there. Chuck money at it because it will cost more in the long run if we don't get out sharpish.

I agree. And if money is chucked at it then I hope the fans are responsive. It's not the new consortiums fault we're down there and the club is in a mess. If they do their bit, we need to do ours and turn up in numbers. I wouldn't blame people for not doing given the last 20 years of crap we've had to endure under Fenty but if we're to have a bright future it requires the stakeholders in the club coming together.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 112
RichMariner
March 12, 2021, 12:46pm
Brandy Drinker
There was a trend, a little while back, when teams that got promoted into the EFL would last five seasons before they got relegated back into non-league.

From a quick look, Kidderminster, Rushden & Diamonds, Boston, Chester, Hereford, Aldershot and Torquay all got relegated to the National League exactly five seasons after they were promoted into the EFL, since the turn of the millennium. Many were what you'd call 'traditional' non-league clubs.

This is our fifth season since getting back into the EFL.

Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 46 - 112
BobbyCummingsTackle
March 12, 2021, 12:53pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.54
Rep Score: +8 / -4
Location: Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right, stuck in the middle...
Approval: +7,192
Gold Stars: 291
Quoted from RichMariner
There was a trend, a little while back, when teams that got promoted into the EFL would last five seasons before they got relegated back into non-league.

From a quick look, Kidderminster, Rushden & Diamonds, Boston, Chester, Hereford, Aldershot and Torquay all got relegated to the National League exactly five seasons after they were promoted into the EFL, since the turn of the millennium. Many were what you'd call 'traditional' non-league clubs.

Take your point but there are many clubs that didn't - Accrington, Burton, AFC Wimbledon, Bristol Rovers and Barnet who have had 2 periods in the league of 10 and 8 years.

Miss Scunthorpe. Not a beauty pageant, just sound advice.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 112
DB
March 12, 2021, 5:21pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from RichMariner

Reads like doom and gloom. Maths say we're not down. Staying up

UTM

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 112
MuddyWaters
March 12, 2021, 5:27pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,208
Gold Stars: 235
https://www.thenationalleague.org.uk/fa-alliance-committee-statement-national-league-re-65290

EFL should now step in and make a similar decision. No incentive for lower half NL teams who could now feasibly furlough players.
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 112
gtfc98
March 12, 2021, 5:37pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.74
Rep Score: +45 / -21
Approval: +3,066
Gold Stars: 68
clutching at straws.

Quoted from MuddyWaters
https://www.thenationalleague.org.uk/fa-alliance-committee-statement-national-league-re-65290

EFL should now step in and make a similar decision. No incentive for lower half NL teams who could now feasibly furlough players.

No longer Sick of the BlueSquare  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 112
DB
March 12, 2021, 5:48pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from MuddyWaters

I did read, but cannot remember which club, that a NL club was considering taking out the loan as they considered the repayments were reasonable. They then were considering to furlough their 1st team and continue matches with juniors and freebies to fulfil the fixture list. The loan funds would then used to bolster their bank balance for a promotion push next season.

This highlights what the NL is all about.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 112
arryarryarry
March 12, 2021, 6:40pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from DB

I did read, but cannot remember which club, that a NL club was considering taking out the loan as they considered the repayments were reasonable. They then were considering to furlough their 1st team and continue matches with juniors and freebies to fulfil the fixture list. The loan funds would then used to bolster their bank balance for a promotion push next season.

This highlights what the NL is all about.

It's a shame we are heading straight for it.
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 112
forza ivano
March 14, 2021, 1:01pm

Exile
The FA have rejected the plans by the rebel Step 2 sides to have a mini league, so we are still no clearer as to what will happen to Dover & relegation in general.
It sounds like some other clubs are waiting to see what happens to Dover before they decide on what to do for the rest of the season playing and financial wise
In the league Sutton continue to pull away with the Poolies and Torquay both dropping points, they're now 4 clear with games in hand.
The play off positions are occupied by a bevy of strong ex Football League clubs
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 112
March 14, 2021, 2:17pm
Guest User
Any club in trouble willl have my sympathy if only for the fans of those clubs.
Reply: 54 - 112
DB
March 14, 2021, 5:50pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from forza ivano
The FA have rejected the plans by the rebel Step 2 sides to have a mini league, so we are still no clearer as to what will happen to Dover & relegation in general.
It sounds like some other clubs are waiting to see what happens to Dover before they decide on what to do for the rest of the season playing and financial wise
In the league Sutton continue to pull away with the Poolies and Torquay both dropping points, they're now 4 clear with games in hand.
The play off positions are occupied by a bevy of strong ex Football League clubs

You do wonder what will happen if anything to Dover. Feb 13th they made their announcement and reasons why, quoting NL league rules. We know the NL board are a load of prats but you could rightfully assume that they would have a solution by now.

Perhaps they are delaying their decision in the hope other clubs don't follow Dovers route.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 112
Heswall Mariner
March 14, 2021, 5:58pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.66
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +583
Gold Stars: 30
If Sutton get promotion will they want to rip up their artificial pitch?
I'm grasping at straws now.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 112
DB
March 14, 2021, 6:32pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Heswall Mariner
If Sutton get promotion will they want to rip up their artificial pitch?
I'm grasping at straws now.

You are grasping at straws, because Harrogate ripped up theirs.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 57 - 112
IlkleyMariner
March 14, 2021, 7:13pm
Champagne Drinker
We need to focus on staying up
Nothing else matters
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 58 - 112
forza ivano
March 14, 2021, 7:31pm

Exile
We need to focus on staying up
Nothing else matters

Who's the 'we' Ilkley? I'm sure the management ,staff and players will be doing just that.
As fans we have absolutely zero impact.
All this bollox about positive vibes is just that, bollox.
If we were there ,then yes i'd agree, but all we can do is suffer in silence and accept our fate
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 59 - 112
IlkleyMariner
March 14, 2021, 8:35pm
Champagne Drinker
Disagree.
Lots of negative stuff from fans is unhelpful
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 60 - 112
arryarryarry
March 14, 2021, 9:27pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Disagree.
Lots of negative stuff from fans is unhelpful

Unhelpful in what way?

What ever the fans say or have said have had no impact whatsoever on the way this club has been appallingly run, by either Fenty or the crap managers he has employed.

We are heading for a return to the National League because of that not because of the fans.

It pisses me off when people try to blame the fans.

Private Message
Reply: 61 - 112
DB
March 14, 2021, 10:28pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from arryarryarry

Unhelpful in what way?

What ever the fans say or have said have had no impact whatsoever on the way this club has been appallingly run, by either Fenty or the crap managers he has employed.

We are heading for a return to the National League because of that not because of the fans.

I'm with you arry. What is negative about paying your £10 every week to watch a load off half heart players underperform.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 62 - 112
forza ivano
March 14, 2021, 10:32pm

Exile
Quoted from arryarryarry

Unhelpful in what way?

might disagree with you most of the times arry, but you're spot on with this one, and particularly this season where we have had zero input, apart from the fund raising, the season tickets for nothing and us buying ifollow in our hundreds (i.e. as we have for so much of the last 16 years, supporting the club with bigger numbers and more enthusiasm than they deserve)
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 63 - 112
forza ivano
March 17, 2021, 11:58am

Exile
last nights results saw Sutton strengthen their hold on the automatic promotion place as they won and the 2 main challengers (Torquay and Hartlepool) dropped more points

Dover's fate will be determined by an independent panel. Vibes seem to be that they won't be relegated (so that's a really shiite trip to look forward to !) but most likely will start next season with a points deduction
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 64 - 112
forza ivano
March 24, 2021, 4:49pm

Exile
just a quick update.
Off the field it increasingly looks like there won't be any National League relegation this year.  This has allowed Wealdstone to try and further cut their costs
https://www.wealdstone-fc.com/post/update-from-the-board-of-directors
interesting that they say a number of other clubs are trying to get loans

on the park Sutton continue on their merry way to promotion with a 4 point lead and games in hand, after beating near neighbours and play off hopefuls Bromley in a tricky looking away match
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 65 - 112
MNH1972
March 24, 2021, 7:15pm
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.05
Approval: +215
Gold Stars: 5
A league has no integrity with promotion but no relegation. A team could get promoted having played far weaker sides than another team due to cost cutting. Not for me
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 66 - 112
louth_in_the_south
March 24, 2021, 7:42pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +24 / -12
Approval: +5,656
Gold Stars: 94
Maybe our new owners have a final trick up their sleeves? I’m sure they’re well versed in the ways of expensive legal teams in their business lives . By the sounds of it the NL board don’t have a pot to urine in and will probably be reliant upon good old leagle aid ....

Lower F5
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 67 - 112
ginnywings
March 24, 2021, 8:33pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Neil Ardley sacked by Counteh, despite being 6th and only losing 2 of their last 16.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 68 - 112
Marinerdeano
March 25, 2021, 12:51pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Approval: +459
Gold Stars: 26
Bromley now sack their manager, 7th in the league. Total excrement or bust season now for many conference clubs persisting to carry on for that small chance. Gamble quite likely to pay off for Sutton, but not 15 or so others.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 69 - 112
DB
March 25, 2021, 1:59pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Chester has been turned down for a loan as they have sufficient funds to finish the season. So you have to wonder about the clubs that want to furlough their first-team players and save, the cash from a loan, for next season.

https://nonleaguedaily.com/chester-confirm-funding-application-turned-down/

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 70 - 112
forza ivano
March 25, 2021, 10:43pm

Exile
Chesterfield announce they've got a loan of just under £1 million to get them through the season
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 71 - 112
DB
March 26, 2021, 2:18pm
Barley Wine Drinker
You do have to wonder what this loan business is all about, after all, it is the taxpayers' money that is being doled out. Football clubs at the end of the day are a business like any other including the self-employed.

I find it hard to believe that Chester, who to all accounts, who have looked after themselves doesn't get a loan. You then have Chesterfield who gets £1 million to last them to the end of the season! Kings Lynn has raised cash themselves and Dover has shut up shop till next season because they don't want any debt.

We have various scenarios but the club that has gone gung ho gets a loan. So the lesson for clubs in this league, in the future, is don't be prudent with money.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 72 - 112
pontoonlew
March 26, 2021, 2:37pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +36 / -15
Approval: +8,841
Gold Stars: 167
I’ve said it before but if/when we do go down, there’s going to be some extremely skint opposition next season
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 73 - 112
DB
March 26, 2021, 2:57pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from pontoonlew
I’ve said it before but if/when we do go down, there’s going to be some extremely skint opposition next season

Chesterfield are about to bank £1 million quid, in theory, to finish the season. They are looking good for the playoffs, but what happens if it all goes belly up and they hit a losing streak. Playoffs not going to happen so they have the remains of the million.

Do they furlough the first team and keep the money for next season or return it? Then you have other teams who have no chance of promotion and no relegation doing the same, furlough as many as you can and save the cash.

It's all a complete and utter mess, and what about Dover. If the NL had a cast-iron case against them the NL would have dealt with them by now. What about the points situation with Dover? The mess continues led by an inept board.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 74 - 112
MarinerDevil
March 26, 2021, 5:49pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 75 - 112
bawarmy
March 26, 2021, 6:26pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.25
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +1,962
Quoted from MarinerDevil

I wonder which pompous male private heads thought that fining a team who have no money the right thing to do.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 76 - 112
moosey_club
March 26, 2021, 7:06pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Will be interesting to see what the offence was exactly under the rules that allows them to be fined £40k......would imagine an appeal will be forthcoming.

2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 77 - 112
Meza
March 26, 2021, 7:11pm

We urine On Your Fish Yes we do yes we do
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.83
Rep Score: +78 / -3
Approval: +1,631
Quoted from moosey_club
Will be interesting to see what the offence was exactly under the rules that allows them to be fined £40k......would imagine an appeal will be forthcoming.

[tweet]1375493072256180225[/tweet]

[URL=https://imgur.com/VCxdH2Y][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/VCxdH2Ys.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=https://imgur.com/uMRVvRe][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/uMRVvRes.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=https://imgur.com/5p7nllT][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/5p7nllTs.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=https://imgur.com/46BEw5M][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/46BEw5Ms.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=https://imgur.com/06NXnQF][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/06NXnQFs.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

My Grimsby Legends
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 78 - 112
Gaffer58
March 26, 2021, 7:16pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.88
Rep Score: +6 / -8
Approval: +4,096
So that’s a points deduction already for next season, if that also happens to a few other clubs, if town do get relegated then could be top 6 without playing a game.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 79 - 112
MarshMariner
March 26, 2021, 7:38pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Approval: +471
Quoted from bawarmy

I wonder which pompous male private heads thought that fining a team who have no money the right thing to do.

Disgraceful... I suspect there will be some pending legal action...

I would imagine they have gone hard on Dover to dissuade any other club following Dover's approach...

I just can't see how you can force a club to take on debt, especially as it goes against their own rules about being solvent...
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 80 - 112
DB
March 26, 2021, 7:52pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from MarshMariner

I would imagine they have gone hard on Dover to dissuade any other club following Dover's approach...

I just can't see how you can force a club to take on debt, especially as it goes against their own rules about being solvent...

Integrity is a joke in this league. Stick your head in the sand, run up debts and play at all costs is ok. Be sensible and live within your means is punished.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 81 - 112
pen penfras
March 26, 2021, 7:58pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.67
Rep Score: +8 / -9
Approval: -128
Gold Stars: 71
Quoted from MarshMariner

Taking out a loan does not make you insolvent.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 82 - 112
DB
March 26, 2021, 8:02pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from pen penfras

According to the powers at NL it does. No loan and you get a fine and points deduction!

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 83 - 112
pen penfras
March 26, 2021, 8:04pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.67
Rep Score: +8 / -9
Approval: -128
Gold Stars: 71
Quoted from DB

According to the powers at NL it does. No loan and you get a fine and points deduction!

Where has anybody said that taking out a loan is insolvent? It's a misconception on here from something the Dover chairman said.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 84 - 112
MarshMariner
March 26, 2021, 8:56pm
Beer Drinker
Approval: +471
Quoted from pen penfras

Your correct it doesn't.. but taking out a loan with no income or means to pay it potentially leads to it..

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 85 - 112
MuddyWaters
March 26, 2021, 9:00pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,208
Gold Stars: 235
Quoted from MarshMariner

Your correct it doesn't.. but taking out a loan with no income or means to pay it potentially leads to it..

Loans eh...nowt but trouble. 😜
Private Message
Reply: 86 - 112
AussieMariner
March 27, 2021, 11:03am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.34
Rep Score: +13 / -4
Approval: +2,072
Quoted from pen penfras

Quoted from DB

Where has anybody said that taking out a loan is insolvent? It's a misconception on here from something the Dover chairman said.

I think you somewhat missed DB’s point PP - he’s saying that Dover refused to take out a loan which would have enabled them to play, as a consequence of which the NL have fined them and deducted points which may well lead them into insolvency
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 87 - 112
Geordie Mariner
March 27, 2021, 1:02pm
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.00
Approval: +6
National league clubs are considering whether to bring a vote of no confidence against the league’s board following decision to fine Dover £40,000 and 12 points deduction for 21/22 season for ending their season early.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/56549165
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 88 - 112
ROKERITE
March 27, 2021, 1:33pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +13 / -3
Approval: +425
Gold Stars: 5
Quoted from Geordie Mariner
National league clubs are considering whether to bring a vote of no confidence against the league’s board following decision to fine Dover £40,000 and 12 points deduction for 21/22 season for ending their season early.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/56549165

But as that article says, other clubs in The National League support Dover's punishment. Many clubs have found completing their fixtures almost impossible financially but only Dover have failed to fulfil their fixtures. It's been a hard, horrible time for every club at that level but I think it only fair that Dover be punished although probably with a reduced fine but full twelve point deduction next season.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 89 - 112
MarinerDevil
March 27, 2021, 2:50pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Quite feasible that many clubs will back the VONC but for very different reasons.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 90 - 112
moosey_club
March 27, 2021, 8:27pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Very nice of the panel to note Dover are trying to comply with laws and rules but still fine them.

Also acknowledged in the current climate that £60k fine was excessive so dropped it to £40k.  

Really cant see how any of the above could actually stick lawfully given the basis seems to be that just because the other clubs decided or felt bullied to continue, potentially break their own league rules by losing money leaving Dover facing punishment for following the rules.

As Dover had submitted their books the panel obviously either felt that Dover were completely trying it on and would have completed the season fully solvent without further loans....or .........just ignored that they could be insolvent but as everybody else has took that path they should too.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 91 - 112
lukeo
March 29, 2021, 7:01am
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 2.07
Rep Score: +38 / -23
Approval: +2,350
Gold Stars: 142
Save making a new thread, although I'd rather us stay up ii have potentially a couple of nice away days within 90mins of me.. Torquay and Weymouth! Also Yeovil which is 40mins..
It kind of feels strange thinking we may be playing Weymouth in the league!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 92 - 112
fishboyUTM
March 29, 2021, 7:44am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.42
Rep Score: +7 / -3
Approval: +1,070
Gold Stars: 40
Horrible I know, but let's hope Dover are kicked out of the league. That would hopefully mean a 91st placed finish would keep our EFL status. Also eyes towards Kings Lynn who are said to be struggling badly.

What an absolute disgrace it has come to this.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 93 - 112
Mikey_345
March 29, 2021, 7:46am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +11 / -1
Approval: +5,308
Gold Stars: 100
Quoted from fishboyUTM
Horrible I know, but let's hope Dover are kicked out of the league. That would hopefully mean a 91st placed finish would keep our EFL status. Also eyes towards Kings Lynn who are said to be struggling badly.

What an absolute disgrace it has come to this.

No it wouldn’t. That would give them less teams not too many... meaning there’s still two places to fill from relegation.

All Town aren’t we

@GTFCLondon

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 94 - 112
fishboyUTM
March 29, 2021, 12:43pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.42
Rep Score: +7 / -3
Approval: +1,070
Gold Stars: 40
Quoted from Mikey_345

No it wouldn’t. That would give them less teams not too many... meaning there’s still two places to fill from relegation.

I'm desperate here. Christ on a bike.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 95 - 112
ginnywings
March 29, 2021, 12:58pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Quoted from fishboyUTM

I'm desperate here. Christ on a bike.

Just accept it fishboy, it's easier that way.

We are getting relegated and there is no reprieve. Fecking Stevenage got one last season, but we won't.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 96 - 112
DB
March 29, 2021, 1:05pm
Barley Wine Drinker
When we start in the NL next season it's not going to be a walkover back to the EFL as many hope for. Notts Cty. are 3 games and 15 points behind Sutton and have just lost a cup semi-final to Isthmian League side Hornchurch. I would have thought that County would have had a reasonable budget for promotion which means the size of the budget isn't everything. Their change of manager certainly did not help the cup match result nor is a change of manager at other NL clubs helping.

The top 10 (excluding Sutton) and Maidenhead will all think that they have a chance of promotion, which is probably why so many wanted the season to carry on, regardless of finances. This just shows that the competition in this league every match is going to be tough. Take out Kings Lynn, Weymouth, and Wealdstone and every other club will think they are in with a chance of beating Town.

Don't forget either that come next season we will have a new team, be it with some of this season's team retained. A preseason should happen in some sort of form but from this year's January experience it will take a few weeks for a team to gel.

It's going to be a long 44 games and anywhere in the top 7 will be good. Promotion back to the EFL will be possible but Hurst will have to find some talent from somewhere.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 97 - 112
StaffsMariner
March 29, 2021, 1:38pm
Lager Top Drinker
Approval: +428
Gold Stars: 6
So we're 4 points closer to safety than this time last week with a game in hand on 2 teams in the mix and yet some believe its already over. I really hope the players have more belief than some fans with 9 games left to go. Theres plenty of fight left in this team so maybe the power of positive thinking should take preference over all the doom and gloomers.
If you think its all over then stop posting negative crap and go play golf or something and let the rest of us live in hope (it never killed anyone over football by the way).
We WILL stay up this season!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 98 - 112
DB
March 29, 2021, 4:42pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from StaffsMariner
So we're 4 points closer to safety than this time last week with a game in hand on 2 teams in the mix and yet some believe its already over. I really hope the players have more belief than some fans with 9 games left to go. Theres plenty of fight left in this team so maybe the power of positive thinking should take preference over all the doom and gloomers.
If you think its all over then stop posting negative crap and go play golf or something and let the rest of us live in hope (it never killed anyone over football by the way).
We WILL stay up this season!!

My friend if you would care to take your blinkers off you would find in reading the many posts that some described me as Mr. Positive. The reason is that when all seemed lost I still maintained a positive optimism outlook while others doubted. If you look at my match predictions, always a win and it will be against Salford and every game until the end of the season.

If you would care to look at the statistics you will see a different picture. Points lost to all around us, inept performance on the pitch, 11 man defence and no attack. I saw a team fight against Barrow, I saw a team with a spirit score against Walsall and then I didn't see one thing that anybody could call fighting spirit, intentions but no passing ability and nothing to open up a team that had come for a draw.

If you care to look at a post I did you will see I mention that we will be playing Cheltenham, Bolton, Exeter, Cambridge, and Morecombe all viewing for top spot and promotion. Salford have a new manager which, apart from Town, usually gives a team a bounce.

2 points out of those 6 games, 3 if we're lucky and how I would like to be wrong. That leaves 3 games and 9 points if we win, lets not forget we are not good at scoring goals. That's 12 points and if the others lose and get no points then we might stay up.

We've gone into the last chance saloon, opened the trap door and have fallen in. The fat lady has trouble with her vocal cords, as we are left dangling on a thin thread of hope.

Hope my friend is all we have because everything else has gone.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 99 - 112
DB
March 29, 2021, 10:22pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Another twist in the tale of a board and its members:-

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/56567072

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 100 - 112
DB
March 30, 2021, 2:23pm
Barley Wine Drinker
It looks like Dover are taking legal action against the NL. They say they will not pay the £40K fine as it was at the NL's insistence the league program started with a promise of grants, followed by more grants not loans. Surely no team from the EFL can be relegated into this shambolic situation.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/56550910

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 101 - 112
DB
March 31, 2021, 12:01pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Chester are backing the no-confidence vote of the NL board.

https://nonleaguedaily.com/chester-back-national-league-board-no-confidence-motion/

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 102 - 112
DB
April 6, 2021, 11:25pm
Barley Wine Drinker
According to this report, in NonLeaguedaily.com, Brian Barwick is going to resign as chairman of the NL.

"Matt Lawton at The Times is reporting the apparently imminent departure of the former FA chief executive.

The National League board have come under widespread criticism over the past year for their handling of the ongoing uncertainty for clubs, with the absence of further grant funding in recent months, which clubs believed was forthcoming when agreeing to commence the season, an especially huge factor.

A number of clubs have signalled their intention to issue a vote of no confidence in the board."

Barwick and his cohorts have caused no end of problems in the NL and then jumps ship before he has to face the music. Bullying clubs into a financial mess with debts lasting years, misleading clubs over govt. grants and then hasn't got the guts to stand and defend himself.

The NL is an absolute shambles and I sincerely hope we don't end up in such a quagmire.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 103 - 112
forza ivano
April 14, 2021, 11:29am

Exile
BUMP-
The vote of no confidence in the NLBoard takes another step forward
https://twitter.com/Ollie_Bayliss/status/1382251191770480642

seems that not all clubs have been that badly affected , with Altrincham announcing their first ever professional manager, with Phil Parkinson and his assistant going full time

Meanwhile the promotion race has suddenly got alittle more interesting with Torquay having beaten Sutton last night, who have suddenly got the jitters, having been well clear and cruising. Now haven't won in their last 4 games, whilst Torquay have won their last 4. Hartlepool now lead by a point, but Sutton have 3 games in hand and Torquay 2.
The 'big boys' fill the other play off places (Stockport, Notts, Chesterfield and Wrexham)
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 104 - 112
ginnywings
April 14, 2021, 11:47am

Recovering Alcoholic
Quoted from forza ivano
BUMP-
The vote of no confidence in the NLBoard takes another step forward
https://twitter.com/Ollie_Bayliss/status/1382251191770480642

seems that not all clubs have been that badly affected , with Altrincham announcing their first ever professional manager, with Phil Parkinson and his assistant going full time

Meanwhile the promotion race has suddenly got alittle more interesting with Torquay having beaten Sutton last night, who have suddenly got the jitters, having been well clear and cruising. Now haven't won in their last 4 games, whilst Torquay have won their last 4. Hartlepool now lead by a point, but Sutton have 3 games in hand and Torquay 2.
The 'big boys' fill the other play off places (Stockport, Notts, Chesterfield and Wrexham)

If Hartlepool go up and we go down, the numpties will be back on here giving it some.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 105 - 112
diehardmariner
April 15, 2021, 12:08pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,423
Gold Stars: 532
Will we become their feeder club again?

Be a travesty if Green, Rose, Scannell all decided to head up the A19 for next season...
Private Message
Reply: 106 - 112
DB
April 15, 2021, 8:10pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Another problem has just hit the NL. This is a nationality one between England and Wales, as the Welsh Sports survival fund has just given Wrexham a £100K grant. The reason being the UK govt didn't. English clubs had to apply for a loan, so Wrexham has been given a financial advantage with the £100k being a grant.

It just proves once again what a mess the NL is when nationality takes place over what is supposed to be a level playing field.

https://nonleaguedaily.com/wrexham-receive-100k-grant/

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 107 - 112
GollyGTFC
April 15, 2021, 8:46pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.68
Rep Score: +19 / -11
Approval: +5,973
Gold Stars: 356
Quoted from DB
Another problem has just hit the NL. This is a nationality one between England and Wales, as the Welsh Sports survival fund has just given Wrexham a £100K grant. The reason being the UK govt didn't. English clubs had to apply for a loan, so Wrexham has been given a financial advantage with the £100k being a grant.

It just proves once again what a mess the NL is when nationality takes place over what is supposed to be a level playing field.

https://nonleaguedaily.com/wrexham-receive-100k-grant/

Wrexham got nothing earlier in the season when the NL received grants for the first 3 months of the season. So if anything this has just evened out that.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 108 - 112
DB
April 15, 2021, 9:35pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from GollyGTFC

Wrexham got nothing earlier in the season when the NL received grants for the first 3 months of the season. So if anything this has just evened out that.

Surely it should be up to the NL to sort things out and not national govts.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 109 - 112
ginnywings
April 17, 2021, 11:59am

Recovering Alcoholic
Wrexham abstained from the voting as they are not under the auspices of the English FA.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 110 - 112
forza ivano
April 25, 2021, 10:39am

Exile
all getting very interesting following Sutton's defeat last night as they continue their poor run of form. Torquay & Poolies are locked together at the top with Torquay having a vital game in hand. They lie in first and third in the form table as well, just to make it a bit more interesting.
Stockport look to have too much to do to catch the top 2 , but look secure for a play off place.
After that perm any from 7 (i've included Maidenhead who are 7 points behind Wrexam ,but have 3 games in hand) Chesterfield and County (hahaha) must be fretting as they're both in the middle of bad runs
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 111 - 112
DB
April 26, 2021, 2:57pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Dover think they have a good case against the NL for their appeal, having employed a Queen's Counsel to present their case. They expect the appeal to take place end of June so time will tell.

http://www.doverathletic.com/news/chairmans-update/

I wonder what would happen if they won their case, fine overturned but what about the league positions. A court victory might mean that Dover are correct about the financial running of the league then should all results be null and void. Just a thought.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 112 - 112
12 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › National League News & Updates

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.