Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Grismby Town Forum - The Fishy GTFC Fishy Boards Archive › National League News & Updates
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 237 Guests

National League News & Updates

This thread currently has 24,016 views. Print
12 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 Next All Recommend Thread
oochiad
March 11, 2021, 10:14pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.62
Rep Score: +9 / -3
Approval: +3,647
Gold Stars: 27
Just imagine if we get relegated and then have a decent budget and no debt like most of the NL clubs will have as is being stated by some, we could have a season somewhere near the top of the league and maybe makes the playoffs! Imagine how much fun that’ll be compared to this season........ well it’s one way of looking at it if the worst happens.......UTM!! We’re staying up!!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 112
RichMariner
March 12, 2021, 11:08am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,109
Gold Stars: 204
I remember winning at Crawley in our first game of 2010/11, although the performance wasn't great, and then we lost 2-1 at home to Hayes & Yeading.

I think we all turned up thinking this tiny team with about 30 fans in the corner of the Osmond would be blown away even by our average side, because we're Grimsby Town.

The reality, of course, was that their players were on par with ours. There comes a point when players on £250 a week are just as good as the fallen players who still command four or five times as much.

Connell was the only player in our squad that season who was better than non-league. Everyone else was bang average, and it makes me wonder how low down the league we'd have finished had it not been for his goals.

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 41 - 112
ginnywings
March 12, 2021, 11:26am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.05
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +55,972
Gold Stars: 538
I keep thinking about York. They got back into the league before we did, started to look to the future and their new ground, but totally took their eye off the ball regarding the team. They slid back out of the league and kept sliding to NLN. They lasted 4 seasons back in the EFL, escaped a relegation battle once, but not the second time. They are still in the NLN.

If we drop out of the league, we cannot afford to get marooned down there. Chuck money at it because it will cost more in the long run if we don't get out sharpish.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 112
Lincoln Mariner 56
March 12, 2021, 12:22pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,514
Gold Stars: 64
[quote=316]I remember winning at Crawley in our first game of 2010/11, although the performance wasn't great, and then we lost 2-1 at home to Hayes & Yeading.

I remember the winning goal in the Hayes & Yeading game, from a slightly portly midfield player who clearly had more ability than commitment, which was a left foot screamer from 30 yards into the top corner and still remains one of the better goals I have seen in my 55 years of visiting BP.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 112
supertown
March 12, 2021, 12:29pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +25 / -9
Approval: +3,415
Gold Stars: 53
Doesn’t matter how much you try to flower it up , the NL is utter excrement to be in
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 112
mariner91
March 12, 2021, 12:35pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,255
Gold Stars: 253
Quoted from ginnywings
I keep thinking about York. They got back into the league before we did, started to look to the future and their new ground, but totally took their eye off the ball regarding the team. They slid back out of the league and kept sliding to NLN. They lasted 4 seasons back in the EFL, escaped a relegation battle once, but not the second time. They are still in the NLN.

If we drop out of the league, we cannot afford to get marooned down there. Chuck money at it because it will cost more in the long run if we don't get out sharpish.

I agree. And if money is chucked at it then I hope the fans are responsive. It's not the new consortiums fault we're down there and the club is in a mess. If they do their bit, we need to do ours and turn up in numbers. I wouldn't blame people for not doing given the last 20 years of crap we've had to endure under Fenty but if we're to have a bright future it requires the stakeholders in the club coming together.

Looking forward to a brighter future now Fenty has gone.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 112
RichMariner
March 12, 2021, 12:46pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,109
Gold Stars: 204
There was a trend, a little while back, when teams that got promoted into the EFL would last five seasons before they got relegated back into non-league.

From a quick look, Kidderminster, Rushden & Diamonds, Boston, Chester, Hereford, Aldershot and Torquay all got relegated to the National League exactly five seasons after they were promoted into the EFL, since the turn of the millennium. Many were what you'd call 'traditional' non-league clubs.

This is our fifth season since getting back into the EFL.

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 46 - 112
BobbyCummingsTackle
March 12, 2021, 12:53pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.52
Rep Score: +8 / -4
Location: Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right, stuck in the middle...
Approval: +6,990
Gold Stars: 285
Quoted from RichMariner
There was a trend, a little while back, when teams that got promoted into the EFL would last five seasons before they got relegated back into non-league.

From a quick look, Kidderminster, Rushden & Diamonds, Boston, Chester, Hereford, Aldershot and Torquay all got relegated to the National League exactly five seasons after they were promoted into the EFL, since the turn of the millennium. Many were what you'd call 'traditional' non-league clubs.

Take your point but there are many clubs that didn't - Accrington, Burton, AFC Wimbledon, Bristol Rovers and Barnet who have had 2 periods in the league of 10 and 8 years.

Miss Scunthorpe. Not a beauty pageant, just sound advice.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 112
DB
March 12, 2021, 5:21pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.55
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +3,873
Gold Stars: 383
Quoted from RichMariner

Reads like doom and gloom. Maths say we're not down. Staying up

UTM

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 112
MuddyWaters
March 12, 2021, 5:27pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +31,884
Gold Stars: 230
https://www.thenationalleague.org.uk/fa-alliance-committee-statement-national-league-re-65290

EFL should now step in and make a similar decision. No incentive for lower half NL teams who could now feasibly furlough players.
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 112
12 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Grismby Town Forum - The Fishy GTFC Fishy Boards Archive › National League News & Updates

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.