1mickylyons
February 27, 2021, 11:47pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +42 / -14
Approval: +9,383
Gold Stars: 56
Quoted from Northbank Mariner
I've come to the conclusion that it doesn't matter who manages Grimsby, the rot has gone far deeper than we realise.
Our club is a shadow of its former self, all the hard work that Buckley put in has gone up in smoke, we are a bottom feeder now, can't hide or shy away from it, we are a NL club and saying that breaks my heart
My only hope is this takeover brings a new dawn, a new optimism and a club that is back in its rightful place in 3-4 seasons for the fans and the Great Grimsby community.
This malaise and demise lays at one person's feet, Mr JSF..

This time because so many of us older fans have seen the good times and the 20 years of bad its going to hurt 10 times worse than last time we went out the league.
It`s shameful and Fenty is to blame totally. He could possibly have killed the Club because relegation will see many fans drift off this time especially given Covid has broken the ties that bind for 18 months or so come the end of the season.We are in a mess and we don`t look to have the players or management to turn us around? When Hollowhead came in he brought massive energy and the fans went for it and it gave the players a gee up. PH is a pragmatic type so no obvious energy and certainly no fans to feed off either. I still cling to his experience in or around this level and his ability previously to grind out results but he needs to be braver with his selection we need to play to win and score goals.I hate to say but with his available players it needs to be route one from now til the end of the season with a lot of focus on exploiting set pieces.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 80 - 114
RonMariner
February 28, 2021, 12:35am

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.42
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,671
Gold Stars: 226
We have had most of the new players for a month now. That is almost the equivalent of a full pre-season. So the excuse that there hasn't been enough  time to expect them to play together doesn't wash with me.

Hurst has been in charge for 8 games, 6 of which we have lost, with one win and one draw.
Holloway's last 8 games included 2 wins, 1 draw, and 5 defeats.

So results have not improved. In terms of performance, I haven't seen any games recently, but from those that have it appears that we played well for 45 minutes against Newport, but it's been pretty dire apart from that. We have failed to score in five of the last eight games and kept just one clean sheet.

So no evidence to suggest anything other than relegation.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 81 - 114
SheepGTFC
February 28, 2021, 2:19am
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.05
Rep Score: +0 / -1
Approval: +278
Gold Stars: 6
we deserve to go down.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 82 - 114
grimps
February 28, 2021, 4:26am
balderdash
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.79
Rep Score: +21 / -19
Approval: +5,120
Gold Stars: 46
Quoted from HarrogateMariner
In my personal opinion the injuries to Wright and Clifton have come at a bad time. We know both will give 150% every game which we need right now, it means so much to them. They are what we need in a relegation battle. And before the Clifton bashers start, remember he played a hugh role in our escape under Jolley. He has done it all before. Question is does Hurst rate them? Well I hope he does. The team needs an identify, I don't want it full of loan players that benefits the parent club and not us.
It has long been discussed about the quality of youth coming through the ranks. Now I completely understand the argument that playing some of them now could knock confidence etc. but is there any harm in looking at one or two? Can they be worse than the first team? You never know we may just find a star.

If my memory of Hurst serves me correct then any of our youth team might as well forget about ever getting a first team game.
I can’t ever remember him bringing one player through in all the time he was here before .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 83 - 114
OneLove
February 28, 2021, 6:05am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +731
Gold Stars: 10
up there with one of the worst performances I've ever seen town play in me life, there has been numerous this season but christ that set up was pure mental. Seen more clued up football on the ploggers, clueless passes, oofs, tackles, the lot just utter shitte, straight away lining up for defeat. I honestly cannot see us getting out of this regardless of how many games are left we have a bad curse on the club and a defeatist one. Go out there and win, play your best available 11 and put them on their toes not sit back be second to every ball and hope for a point. Am I worried, 100%
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 84 - 114
dapperz fun pub
February 28, 2021, 6:50am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.59
Rep Score: +37 / -6
Approval: +9,929
Gold Stars: 82
Quoted from grimps

If my memory of Hurst serves me correct then any of our youth team might as well forget about ever getting a first team game.
I can’t ever remember him bringing one player through in all the time he was here before .

We don’t produce players we haven’t since the drinkell Moore Ford days.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 85 - 114
HertsGTFC
February 28, 2021, 8:50am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,909
Gold Stars: 228
In my personal opinion the injuries to Wright and Clifton have come at a bad time. We know both will give 150% every game which we need right now, it means so much to them. They are what we need in a relegation battle. And before the Clifton bashers start, remember he played a hugh role in our escape under Jolley. He has done it all before. Question is does Hurst rate them? Well I hope he does. The team needs an identify, I don't want it full of loan players that benefits the parent club and not us.
It has long been discussed about the quality of youth coming through the ranks. Now I completely understand the argument that playing some of them now could knock confidence etc. but is there any harm in looking at one or two? Can they be worse than the first team? You never know we may just find a star.

Both players you reference are no worse than the ones currently playing, this season neither of them have been any better.

I feel for both of them as Max’s development has been held back by injury, his pace and energy should frighten defenders to death but he needs a good run of games.

Though I remember it was Mitch Roses penalties and great form from Macca that helped most when we stayed up under Jolley for sure Clifton CDAJATL quite easily, but has been so mucked about in terms of where he’s been picked to play and what he’s been asked to do I doubt the lad knows his @rse from his elbow.

In a more stable forward thinking set up both would have flourished.

I think we’ll get relegated, there will then be “another” clear out which is a good thing as looking at us yesterday and at many times this season under both managers we’d struggle to stay in the National League at this rate.

“When” we go down it will be a while before we come back as this club has been driven to such a place by Fenty and his cronies that a bottom up rebuild in all departments will need to take place.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 86 - 114
HarrogateMariner
February 28, 2021, 9:20am
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +479
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from grimps

Unfortunately I agree with you, it's my biggest criticism of Hurst. The work Neil Woods and his team have done  is the only good thing I can think of for past few years and my worry is Hurst will remove all that in a single moment.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 87 - 114
HarrogateMariner
February 28, 2021, 9:25am
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +479
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from HertsGTFC

Both players you reference are no worse than the ones currently playing, this season neither of them have been any better.

I feel for both of them as Max’s development has been held back by injury, his pace and energy should frighten defenders to death but he needs a good run of games.

Though I remember it was Mitch Roses penalties and great form from Macca that helped most when we stayed up under Jolley for sure Clifton CDAJATL quite easily, but has been so mucked about in terms of where he’s been picked to play and what he’s been asked to do I doubt the lad knows his @rse from his elbow.

In a more stable forward thinking set up both would have flourished.

I think we’ll get relegated, there will then be “another” clear out which is a good thing as looking at us yesterday and at many times this season under both managers we’d struggle to stay in the National League at this rate.

“When” we go down it will be a while before we come back as this club has been driven to such a place by Fenty and his cronies that a bottom up rebuild in all departments will need to take place.

I think your assessment is spot on, the lack of stability and any sort of plan to develop and help our young players like Wright and Clifton has been criminal. Hopefully the new owners will see the importance of developing our own and this will be a big part of their plans and put additional layers of coaching and development in place.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 88 - 114
It Bites
February 28, 2021, 9:31am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.45
Rep Score: +4 / -10
Approval: +2,164
Gold Stars: 264

Unfortunately I agree with you, it's my biggest criticism of Hurst. The work Neil Woods and his team have done  is the only good thing I can think of for past few years and my worry is Hurst will remove all that in a single moment.

What is this good work that Neil Woods and his team do ? . Grimsby never produce any decent players that go on to have a successful career in the FL .
Private Message
Reply: 89 - 114
12 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › just back

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.