DB
February 27, 2021, 8:17pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.55
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +3,880
Gold Stars: 383
Quoted from forza ivano

plus the 2 penalties they should've had. i would've been seething if the roles were reversed .
the depressing thing is that we have now played 5 consecutive 45 minutes of dross.
the improvement under Hurst is marginal at best. The keeper has definitely improved things and we look a bit stronger all round.The front 2 are obviously an upgrade to gree/jackson/gibson, but that's hardly a vote of confidence - they still don't look like scoring
We still can't pass, create chances, defend or score.
He's had 4 weeks working with the new team and there's still no cohesion or chinks of light. It's a side that's bottom of the table for a reason and their co commentator didn't take long to realise it and point out our inadequacies

A very good summing up of our situation. I can only say that we don't look like scoring because Hursty plays a 10 man defence. The best defence is ATTACK.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 60 - 114
Lincoln Mariner 56
February 27, 2021, 8:17pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,507
Gold Stars: 64
Quoted from forza ivano

plus the 2 penalties they should've had. i would've been seething if the roles were reversed .
the depressing thing is that we have now played 5 consecutive 45 minutes of dross.
the improvement under Hurst is marginal at best. The keeper has definitely improved things and we look a bit stronger all round.The front 2 are obviously an upgrade to gree/jackson/gibson, but that's hardly a vote of confidence - they still don't look like scoring
We still can't pass, create chances, defend or score.
He's had 4 weeks working with the new team and there's still no cohesion or chinks of light. It's a side that's bottom of the table for a reason and their co commentator didn't take long to realise it and point out our inadequacies

Nail on the head, very disappointed at the fact we are really no better now then when Hurst took over. Was never his biggest fan but thought he would get us organised and a few 1-0 wins would follow and whilst I appreciate that playing Morais may have been a risk could Scannell have not played that role? Seems he’s been totally discarded but he can play and not having him on the bench is IMO, a mistake.

Anybody know where Bennett is with his recovery?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 61 - 114
easypeersy
February 27, 2021, 8:35pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.13
Rep Score: +7 / -5
Approval: +301
Gold Stars: 11
Utter bilge!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 62 - 114
TownSNAFU5
February 27, 2021, 8:36pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,773
Gold Stars: 41
“We can’t pass, create chances, defend or score”.

A very damming indictment there in just 9 words.  We are c rap at other things as well.

Another I read said that the team is totally lacking in confidence.  This is interesting.  It is not the same players consistently failing since the season started.  We have a new team.  Starting afresh.  Not tainted by a string of poor results.

Why should they be totally lacking in confidence?  They have a new manager who should be energised as well.  

If Man City had a completely new team I would not expect them to win every game.  Why are we still very dire with a new team?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 63 - 114
Knut Anders Fosters Voles
February 27, 2021, 8:43pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.89
Rep Score: +24 / -1
Approval: +8,784
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from TownSNAFU5
“We can’t pass, create chances, defend or score”.

A very damming indictment there in just 9 words.  We are c rap at other things as well.

Another I read said that the team is totally lacking in confidence.  This is interesting.  It is not the same players consistently failing since the season started.  We have a new team.  Starting afresh.  Not tainted by a string of poor results.

Why should they be totally lacking in confidence?  They have a new manager who should be energised as well.  

If Man City had a completely new team I would not expect them to win every game.  Why are we still very dire with a new team?

Being at/near the bottom of the league will create additional pressure.

However possible amassing 1.5 ppg is, that will still create additional pressure.

Not trying to make excuses but pointing out that confidence will naturally be relatively low because of our position and the points requirement.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 64 - 114
DB
February 27, 2021, 9:08pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.55
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +3,880
Gold Stars: 383

Being at/near the bottom of the league will create additional pressure.

However possible amassing 1.5 ppg is, that will still create additional pressure.

Not trying to make excuses but pointing out that confidence will naturally be relatively low because of our position and the points requirement.

I understand where you are coming from. This is new team with a new manager and no garbage to bring with it. The points on the board when they arrived was not a reflection on their ability. Confidence should be reasonably high as should comradery as they have had a few weeks together now. The other thing is that when they came they knew the position of the club, it wasn't a surprise to them.

I can no longer think of a justifiable reason for an excuse.  

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 65 - 114
oochiad
February 27, 2021, 9:09pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.62
Rep Score: +9 / -3
Approval: +3,647
Gold Stars: 27
Looking at the table it’s surprising that we are still in touch but after another terrible performance and strange team selection I’m finding it hard to think we’ll avoid the drop. So depressing.......
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 66 - 114
HarrogateMariner
February 27, 2021, 9:16pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +461
Gold Stars: 21
In my personal opinion the injuries to Wright and Clifton have come at a bad time. We know both will give 150% every game which we need right now, it means so much to them. They are what we need in a relegation battle. And before the Clifton bashers start, remember he played a hugh role in our escape under Jolley. He has done it all before. Question is does Hurst rate them? Well I hope he does. The team needs an identify, I don't want it full of loan players that benefits the parent club and not us.
It has long been discussed about the quality of youth coming through the ranks. Now I completely understand the argument that playing some of them now could knock confidence etc. but is there any harm in looking at one or two? Can they be worse than the first team? You never know we may just find a star.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 67 - 114
ginnywings
February 27, 2021, 9:19pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.05
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +55,972
Gold Stars: 537
We could have gone 4-4-2, lost 2-0 and folk would be saying Hurst got it wrong, their wingers were causing havoc, should have gone 5-3-2.

You just have to trust that Hurst goes with the line up and formation he thinks will be best on the day. We could have nicked a point with some composure, but the truth is, and this is hard to swallow, that Harrogate are better than us and have won 4 out of 6.

Didn't think we would win today personally. Just hoped that others down the wrong end didn't pick up any wins and they didnt.

Hard to imagine I know, but there are 3 teams below us in the form table.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 68 - 114
MarinerDevil
February 27, 2021, 9:33pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.36
Rep Score: +5 / -1
Approval: +2,635
Gold Stars: 78
Didn't watch today, but it was a hard listen.  

I kind of get the starting line-up.  Harrogate's threat came from long-throws and set pieces and in general the 3 centre-backs seemed to protect against that from what I can gather.  We just didn't seem to have any midfield whatsoever.  I didn't hear El Mizouni or Coke's name once all game.  

Going into today I would have taken a draw.  Harrogate are in decent form and are a well coached side, I remember them playing us off BP earlier in the season.  A point here and a win on Tuesday against a well out-of-form Orient would have given us 7 out of 9, 3 unbeaten - a real booster - and I felt that Hurst might have been ensuring we didn't get well beaten and destroy any confidence gained from Crawley.  Still, a win on Tuesday still gives us 2 wins from 3 which I would be ecstatic about.  Two big games next week.

Hopefully we can play to our strengths against Orient and our creative players can affect the game far more than today.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 69 - 114
12 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › just back

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.