DB
February 27, 2021, 6:36pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.54
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +3,877
Gold Stars: 383
Quoted from kafunanapar140909
In my mind we've only had a couple of games with a team that Hurst has built (and even then he has clearly not got who he wanted - those comments about players not wanting to come to a bottom-of-the-table club were quite telling). Bumming around with IH's cast-offs was a waste of time, though unavoidable until finding people who actually wanted to sign for us.

I do get the gameplan today. Harrogate are all about launching the ball into the box at every opportunity, so he wanted a few big defenders to be able to deal with that. To be fair, we did deal with pretty much all that was thrown at us, until we switched off once and Beck took advantage.

The real issue, as ever, is how toothless up front we looked. 3-5-2/5-3-2 is fine if, in attack, the full-backs push up, which they obviously didn't. Even on the occasions when a long ball forward found Payne/Hanson, neither seemed capable of holding up the ball until support from the likes of El Mizouni (very quiet today) and Matete (looks shattered) came.

I'd quite like him to say "right, this is our system and we're sticking to it". Then at least if we're forced into some rotation (inevitable with our fixture list) the players *should* automatically know the patterns and the gameplan expected of them. And I would like that system to be his 4-4-2 because there is a better balance between defence and attack IMO.

Our game plan was simple don't lose. How many times was the ball kick, aimlessly, into their half for us to see Hanson running up from defence. I'm not a fan of Hanson but he can't be in two places at once. Before Christmas it hapless, hopeless holloway. At the minute you can change the last name to Hurst.

This is his team, his players and had enough time for team bonding. His words were 'it's a mess'. It still is.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 114
Abdul19
February 27, 2021, 6:40pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.42
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,449
Gold Stars: 214
Dire stuff, but we should've nicked a point.

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 114
GYinScuntland
February 27, 2021, 6:42pm

Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.49
Rep Score: +21 / -6
Approval: +3,210
Gold Stars: 97
Quoted from Withnail

This ⬆️ Time to put our kock on the block and treat every game like a cup final. If we can win one in two (big if) - or even one in three - and pick up the odd draw, we'll be fine.

What we can't do is set up for a goaless draw week in week out and keep losing.

I'm disappointed, frustrated and deflated by today's result but I've certainly not given up hope, nor written us off.

I appreciate being cup half empty is a coping mechanism for some but if you were a Town  player and saw some of the constant comments on here and on social saying "we're doomed", "we're down"..."the players are shite"...etc...do you think it would have a positive or negative impact on your motivation and morale? I'd guess the latter. It's a self fulfilling prophecy.

Let's get behind the players and give them our 100% encouragement and support between now and the end of the season. You never know...it might prove the difference between league football and the abyss next season.  UTM.

Or how about they don't even look on here or social media if their vanity can only deal with praise, man up, act professional and do the job they're paid for.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 114
Vance Warner
February 27, 2021, 6:44pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +18 / -5
Approval: +2,772
Gold Stars: 99
Standard fishy. We lose a game 1-0 to a team pushing for the play offs and everyone loses their sh1t. Not a good performance but we look a lot more likely to score than we did a month ago. I’ve seen the usual lazy stereotypes being branded about - players don’t care, manager is negative etc etc. Hurst was almost unanimously well received and they consensus was that if we went down it wasn’t on him and he’d be the best person to take us back up. All that changes when a bunch of snowflakes are upset after a loss. You’d think we’d be so used to this sh1t by now that responses would be more rational.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 114
lee65
February 27, 2021, 6:44pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.36
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +2,450
Gold Stars: 9
Quoted from Abdul19

Totally agree, the weak header by Hanson, the rebound which fell quickly to Hanson that he fired high, and the presentable chance that Adams had right at the end
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 114
pontoonlew
February 27, 2021, 6:48pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +36 / -15
Approval: +8,721
Gold Stars: 163
I worry if we as fans can point out blatantly daft decisions from Hurst, quite what the players might be thinking right now
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 114
DB
February 27, 2021, 6:48pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.54
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +3,877
Gold Stars: 383
Quoted from Abdul19

No.  We lost for two reasons

1/ We weren't good enough
2/ We failed to score

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 114
Madeleymariner
February 27, 2021, 6:49pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.01
Rep Score: +23 / -15
Approval: +3,014
Gold Stars: 49
Quoted from lee65

Totally agree, the weak header by Hanson, the rebound which fell quickly to Hanson that he fired high, and the presentable chance that Adams had right at the end

And the 5 clear cut chances they missed or Eastwood saved in the 1st half, ifs dont matter, what you do does.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 114
pontoonlew
February 27, 2021, 6:49pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +36 / -15
Approval: +8,721
Gold Stars: 163
Quoted from lee65

The worst for me was Payne’s chance in which he seemed to totally miss the ball from 6 yards. On the replay it looked like he almost purposely missed it to try put off the keeper, bizarre if he did
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 114
Hagrid
February 27, 2021, 6:50pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.79
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +19,988
Gold Stars: 508
Quoted from Vance Warner
Standard fishy. We lose a game 1-0 to a team pushing for the play offs and everyone loses their sh1t. Not a good performance but we look a lot more likely to score than we did a month ago. I’ve seen the usual lazy stereotypes being branded about - players don’t care, manager is negative etc etc. Hurst was almost unanimously well received and they consensus was that if we went down it wasn’t on him and he’d be the best person to take us back up. All that changes when a bunch of snowflakes are upset after a loss. You’d think we’d be so used to this sh1t by now that responses would be more rational.

Dont agree with that, i like Hurst and believed he was the right for the job-  still do-  and i did say for me he has a free pass. But he’s got to be rightfully questioned on today. I felt we set up incorrectly. And when we had a go at Harrogate in the tinal ten, we looked threatening
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 114
12 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › just back

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.