12 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 Next All Recommend Thread
MuddyWaters
February 28, 2021, 9:49am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +31,883
Gold Stars: 230
Yesterday epitomised Hurst. Set up a team to combat another team's strengths rather than play to ours. That said, I'm not sure we have any.
Private Message
Reply: 90 - 114
HertsGTFC
February 28, 2021, 9:58am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.23
Rep Score: +29 / -8
Approval: +22,628
Gold Stars: 217
Quoted from MuddyWaters
Yesterday epitomised Hurst. Set up a team to combat another team's strengths rather than play to ours. That said, I'm not sure we have any.

I’m amazed he didn’t start the goal scorers from the win (the first in ages) in the previous game.

If you score in a win you go on to the next game with some confidence which rubs off on others plus looking at the selection of 2 lumps up front surely we needed better supply than the shape & selection provided for us. Add to that the state of the pitch and they are well organised & solid we where never going to play through them.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 91 - 114
TAGG
February 28, 2021, 10:19am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +26 / -26
Approval: +2,981
Gold Stars: 121
Quoted from DB
Team selection for Orient on Tuesday :-

Eastwood

10 anothers
(No Hewitt)

who must have Black and white shirts, football boots and ability to ignore managers negative instructions.

In his three stints as Grimsby Town manager spanning over 10 years the club was never relegated and he also guided them to three promotions.
Only 14 managers have reached 1,000 matches in charge of a Football League team by 1998 and Buckley is one of them.
GOD
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 92 - 114
pontoonlew
February 28, 2021, 10:31am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +36 / -15
Approval: +8,721
Gold Stars: 163
Astonishingly a large proportion rate Hewitt more than Hendrie.

Then again, our fans do have a proud history of rating poor players.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 93 - 114
lew chaterleys lover
February 28, 2021, 10:32am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,545
Gold Stars: 231
Quoted from 1mickylyons

This time because so many of us older fans have seen the good times and the 20 years of bad its going to hurt 10 times worse than last time we went out the league.
It`s shameful and Fenty is to blame totally. He could possibly have killed the Club because relegation will see many fans drift off this time especially given Covid has broken the ties that bind for 18 months or so come the end of the season.We are in a mess and we don`t look to have the players or management to turn us around? When Hollowhead came in he brought massive energy and the fans went for it and it gave the players a gee up. PH is a pragmatic type so no obvious energy and certainly no fans to feed off either. I still cling to his experience in or around this level and his ability previously to grind out results but he needs to be braver with his selection we need to play to win and score goals.I hate to say but with his available players it needs to be route one from now til the end of the season with a lot of focus on exploiting set pieces.

That is a sobering post and one that a lot of us will be nodding in agreement with.

What makes it more galling is just at the time we finally free ourselves from Fenty we are in this mess, which will make the new owners jobs that much more difficult if we go down.

On the playing side Hurst needs to have a long think about things before Tuesday and decide what exactly it is he is trying to do. I know that sounds patronising but lets be honest he has made a Horlicks of it so far. What exactly are we trying to do, playing style-wise? We obviously need goals but we are not creating many if any chances.

All we seem to have done is swap Holloways signings for Hurst signings but not addressed the obvious point that we needed quality not quantity.

Like someone else said, if we suddenly improve and escape Hurst is a hero, but this week gives him an opportunity to start that process.
Private Message
Reply: 94 - 114
pontoonlew
February 28, 2021, 11:14am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +36 / -15
Approval: +8,721
Gold Stars: 163

That is a sobering post and one that a lot of us will be nodding in agreement with.

What makes it more galling is just at the time we finally free ourselves from Fenty we are in this mess, which will make the new owners jobs that much more difficult if we go down.

On the playing side Hurst needs to have a long think about things before Tuesday and decide what exactly it is he is trying to do. I know that sounds patronising but lets be honest he has made a Horlicks of it so far. What exactly are we trying to do, playing style-wise? We obviously need goals but we are not creating many if any chances.

All we seem to have done is swap Holloways signings for Hurst signings but not addressed the obvious point that we needed quality not quantity.

Like someone else said, if we suddenly improve and escape Hurst is a hero, but this week gives him an opportunity to start that process.

I’m rather sick of the ‘this is the week we kick start’ posts though, it’s ignoring the fact that we’re as bad under Hurst as we have been all season. We didn’t have high expectations when he came in but most of us hoped it was going to be damn sight better than what he’s served up.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 95 - 114
oochiad
February 28, 2021, 11:41am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.62
Rep Score: +9 / -3
Approval: +3,647
Gold Stars: 27
When it’s said Hurst has had 8 games though let’s be fair as half of those games were with the last team of no hopers. I’m not defending yesterday’s showing as it was appalling but stating a fact that actually he hasn’t had half that many games with his choices. Still rubbish all round which ever way you look at it mind.......
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 96 - 114
Vance Warner
February 28, 2021, 11:42am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +18 / -5
Approval: +2,772
Gold Stars: 99
Quoted from pontoonlew
Astonishingly a large proportion rate Hewitt more than Hendrie.

Then again, our fans do have a proud history of rating poor players.

Strange comment. Can think of more good players that haven’t been rated than poor ones who have. I rate Hewitt more than Hendrie who I think has really regressed this season. More pace and better going forward especially with his long throw. Sign of the times that he was signed as a squad player 18 months ago and has become increasingly important as we’ve got worse.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 97 - 114
dapperz fun pub
February 28, 2021, 11:49am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.59
Rep Score: +37 / -6
Approval: +9,719
Gold Stars: 81
Quoted from It Bites

What is this good work that Neil Woods and his team do ? . Grimsby never produce any decent players that go on to have a successful career in the FL .

Totally agree seems to be able to produce a winning under 18 team but getting them to full time pros seems a step to far. Woods job is to produce players for our first team he’s not delivering
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 98 - 114
lee65
February 28, 2021, 11:52am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.36
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +2,450
Gold Stars: 9
Quoted from Vance Warner

Strange comment. Can think of more good players that haven’t been rated than poor ones who have. I rate Hewitt more than Hendrie who I think has really regressed this season. More pace and better going forward especially with his long throw. Sign of the times that he was signed as a squad player 18 months ago and has become increasingly important as we’ve got worse.

I would agree, Hewitt (while not great) always gives 100%, encourages those around him, has a bit of pace, can put his foot in, and his long throw is one of our only dangerous attacking options (cant believe I'm having to write that   )

I know the debate about square pegs and round holes, but with the personnel currently available, particularly against Teams with nippy forwards but less aerial threat I think (in a 442) I would play Hewitt CB and Hendrie RB
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 99 - 114
12 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › just back

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.