Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › National League at risk
Users Browsing Forum
Googlebot and 160 Guests

National League at risk

This thread currently has 155,886 views. Print
90 Pages Prev ... 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 ... Next All Recommend Thread
BobbyCummingsTackle
February 17, 2021, 12:02pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.54
Rep Score: +8 / -4
Location: Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right, stuck in the middle...
Approval: +7,301
Gold Stars: 307
The FA have said they plan to use the FA Cup final (and another game, I forget which) as an experiment in getting fans back into stadiums, therefore no fans in grounds before mid May at the earliest.

The Daily Mail is reporting today that Johnson's roadmap will take us through to July (whatever you think of the Mail, it does have a direct line to Johnson and his cronies).

No fans for the rest of the season means no income for the rest of the season (or very much reduced) so loans will have to support clubs through to the start of next season (about 7 months).

If I was the chief exec or chairman of a small business (which is what NL clubs are) there is no way I would saddle the business with 7 months of debt when I have a viable and free alternative.

Miss Scunthorpe. Not a beauty pageant, just sound advice.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 700 - 899
RonMariner
February 17, 2021, 12:06pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.42
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,773
Gold Stars: 226
Even if a majority vote to carry on, I can't see how they can force Dover and any other clubs that don't want to continue the season to take out loans and get into debt just to benefit a few clubs at the top.

I can see some of the 'no' voters simply following Dover's lead, at which point the NL becomes non-viable anyway.    
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 701 - 899
ska face
February 17, 2021, 12:17pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,747
Gold Stars: 851
Some of the clubs in the top half May even see this as a chance to consolidate their financial position ready for a push next year. Most of these clubs will be running at a loss, so if they’ve got the opportunity to cut costs to almost nothing for 4,5,6 months, it wouldn’t be too bad an idea.
Private Message
Reply: 702 - 899
nealeardleyscrossing
February 17, 2021, 12:32pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.13
Rep Score: +2 / -1
Approval: -306
Gold Stars: 4
I am genuinely saddend how desperate you lads have become. Wanting teams to vote to end the legue when they have a chance of promotion - I am certain you would not be doing that if you were 1st/2nd in the NL. I would be stunned if any of you are bothered by how much debt Dover have or may carry forward.

I genuinally would hate to see you drop, as you are a decent size club, with a  rich history - But if you drop you deserve too - Not the fans fault, but decisons by your man JF have cost the club. But I do seem to remember pretty much everyone on here though IH was agreat appointment, and also good reception for most of the players signed.

Should have gone for someone on the way up, not the way down - Anyway I think you will survive, think Southend and Barrow will drop.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 703 - 899
GrimRob
February 17, 2021, 12:42pm

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,432
Gold Stars: 113
I am genuinely saddend how desperate you lads have become. Wanting teams to vote to end the legue when they have a chance of promotion - I am certain you would not be doing that if you were 1st/2nd in the NL. I would be stunned if any of you are bothered by how much debt Dover have or may carry forward.

I genuinally would hate to see you drop, as you are a decent size club, with a  rich history - But if you drop you deserve too - Not the fans fault, but decisons by your man JF have cost the club. But I do seem to remember pretty much everyone on here though IH was agreat appointment, and also good reception for most of the players signed.

Should have gone for someone on the way up, not the way down - Anyway I think you will survive, think Southend and Barrow will drop.  

It's like timewasting, tut tut when it's someone else but happily do it yourself.

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 704 - 899
BlackandWhiteBarmy2
February 17, 2021, 12:52pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.30
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +1,022
Gold Stars: 59
It seems the problem with the loans is that they take precedence over football creditors this is against the rules governing the sport.

https://www.thenonleaguefootba.....ue-rules-over-loans/

And when you fall back into the mud it hurts a lot.
No! None of it was true, none of those things we thought we could see existed at all.
All that was really there was still more misery

Emile Zola
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 705 - 899
DB
February 17, 2021, 12:59pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.46
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,042
Gold Stars: 390

Desperate times call for desperate measures and were not in the NL.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 706 - 899
arryarryarry
February 17, 2021, 1:07pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,033
Gold Stars: 116
Quoted from DB

Desperate times call for desperate measures and were not in the NL.

I think you missed the word "if" out and I agree with him.
Private Message
Reply: 707 - 899
RichMariner
February 17, 2021, 1:29pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,143
Gold Stars: 209

I suppose we are desperate, but we're in a pretty desperate situation on the pitch and in the league. I don't think it should surprise you that we're taking such an interest in the NL and hoping things work out in our favour.

BUT that's not to say any of us are revelling in this. I think we're unanimous in saying we'd rather stay up on merit. I'm still working on the principle that we have a chance to stay up on merit. I'm desperate for us to win every game and pull away from the bottom two so we're not affected by what's happening in the league below.

Absolutely agree that if we get relegated, it'll be because we deserved it. No arguments there.

I don't feel comfortable about being this desperate, but us fans have been to hell and back and we're not keen on returning, especially after all the money we've put into the club to firstly help it get promoted back into the EFL and secondly keep it afloat last summer and into this season.

Morally, I do genuinely believe it's best for non-league football and clubs in general that the NL season is null and void. Having weighed up both sides, it's the outcome that damages the fewest clubs.

Would I be miffed if I was a Torquay fan? For sure. Desperate? Only to continue. Our minds would change with our position, surely this is just natural? However, morally, even if I were a Torquay fan, I could just about understand the decision — not that I'd like it.

If I were a Dover fan and saw my club forced to take on a debt, I'd be livid, especially if it put the very existence of my club in peril.

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 708 - 899
louth_in_the_south
February 17, 2021, 1:43pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +25 / -12
Approval: +5,703
Gold Stars: 96
As long as we stay in the FL I couldn’t care less what other fans think .

Lower F5
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 709 - 899
90 Pages Prev ... 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 ... Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › National League at risk

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.