Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › National League at risk
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 522 Guests

National League at risk

This thread currently has 156,002 views. Print
90 Pages Prev ... 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 ... Next All Recommend Thread
MarinerWY
February 16, 2021, 2:28pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +11 / -5
Approval: +1,991
Gold Stars: 47
Quoted from Poojah

The frustrating question for me is who are “we” in this context? The ownership? The manager? The players? Absolutely, however the overwhelming majority of those most culpable won’t even be here when (or perhaps if) next season kicks off.

Who’s left to pick up the pieces? Once again, as it always is, it’s the fans. Do “we” deserve it?

It’s well documented what the fans did to drag this club back out of non-league, driven by the pain we had already endured in our multiple failed attempts.

Since arriving back in the EFL, we’ve consistently delivered top 10 average attendances. This in spite of the fact that the team has consistently delivered lower bottom half finishes, and that we typically receive below average away followings from other clubs due to our awkward geographical position.

As for the quantity and quality of our own away support, I need say nothing about that.

I, like many others, waived my right to a refund for the remainder of last season’s ticket. I paid for my season ticket again prior to the season in hope that I might get to see some live Town action, but with the understanding that I may very well get to witness fúck all in the flesh.

Why did I do that? I’d already shelled out £140 for iFollow, so I had nothing to gain on that front. Ultimately, in these uncertain times I wanted the club to have my money to survive, both in existential terms and in football league status.

Almost one and a half thousand others did the same. Many, I’m sure will have done so despite financially uncertain times for themselves. I would love to know how our percentage of season ticket revenue versus ‘normal’ times compares to others in League Two, but I am confident that it will be up there amongst the highest and absolutely certain it will be better than bottom two.

Ultimately, the money generated by the fans in tough times, and more importantly their trust, has been misspent. There are people responsible for the debacle this season has turned out to be who deserve absolutely everything coming their way, and boy is it coming for some.

But yet again, it is the fans that suffer. And I think there are, genuinely, few fan bases which pound for pound deserve what is happening to us yet again less than we do.

In that sense no we don't deserve it, but I'm sure many others clubs' fans also feel aggrieved when they go down, having put so much in. I'm not sure a good number of town fans would give much sympathy to other clubs who have been relegated after being shite on the pitch, even if they have had unjust mismanagement for years. In that sense we do deserve it as a club, it's on the ground results that decide it and everything else is irrelevant circumstance as far as that goes.

Doesn't mean I aren't properly drunk off mind.
Private Message
Reply: 660 - 899
Mikey_345
February 16, 2021, 2:30pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.32
Rep Score: +12 / -1
Approval: +5,568
Gold Stars: 107
Quoted from ska face
3 to play on.
3 to null & void.
1 abstention.

16 to declare.

First to 12 takes it.

9 votes from 16 remaining required.  

28th Feb deadline.

Thanks Ska.

Point remains, which I think you’ve raised aswell. Say there is a 13/10 split in favour of carrying on, how many are going to follow in Dovers footsteps.

For me the vote is irrelevant if there are a number of clubs wanting to end as they are running insolvent. It only takes 3/4 more and the league cannot continue IMO. Well at least it can’t and still be taken as a serious competition

All Town aren’t we

@GTFCLondon

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 661 - 899
GollyGTFC
February 16, 2021, 2:34pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +19 / -11
Approval: +6,056
Gold Stars: 358
Quoted from Hagrid

You’re so wrong. The EFL dont care. Finish bottom 2, you’ll go to the NL and deserve too. Simple

The EFL are the 72 member clubs. The 72 member clubs are the EFL. Grimsby Town are 1/72 of the EFL.

I know bashing the EFL is all the rage, but the general failure to realise the above if incredible.

And anyway, the EFL have rules about cessation of membership and the rule is quite clear. The club exiting downwards must have a league to join. If the NL can not 100% guarantee the 2021/22 will start on time and be completed in full the EFL will not allow 2 of its members to have to become NL clubs.
Logged Online
Private Message Skype
Reply: 662 - 899
GollyGTFC
February 16, 2021, 2:38pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +19 / -11
Approval: +6,056
Gold Stars: 358
Quoted from Mikey_345

Thanks Ska.

Point remains, which I think you’ve raised aswell. Say there is a 13/10 split in favour of carrying on, how many are going to follow in Dovers footsteps.

For me the vote is irrelevant if there are a number of clubs wanting to end as they are running insolvent. It only takes 3/4 more and the league cannot continue IMO. Well at least it can’t and still be taken as a serious competition

I think it will end up with court proceeding being issued and the clubs refusing the play in the meantime will ultimately lead to the fixture pileup to be too great for the season to be completed and the season will be voided.
Logged Online
Private Message Skype
Reply: 663 - 899
forza ivano
February 16, 2021, 3:03pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,282
Gold Stars: 266
i think it's irrelevant for GTFC as to what Step 2 clubs are, or are not, doing.
It looks pretty certain that  step2 will vote to null and void the season, but Step 1 will continue  (once again the footballing gods will conspire to do everything they can to hinder us!)
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 664 - 899
ska face
February 16, 2021, 3:15pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,780
Gold Stars: 851
I still don’t see where people are getting the idea that Step 1 continuing is nailed on. Like we said (p)ages ago, there’s been plenty of talk from clubs, but how many actually have the means to continue without any guarantee that they’ll get another penny from anywhere this season?

I can’t see Blozza letting fans in until August from the way he’s been going on. The Sport England board don’t meet next until early March, by which point the votes will have been cast. The Dover Chairman said they needed about £400k just to get to the end of the season, and they’ll have one of the smaller budgets in the division.

I’m not saying it won’t happen, I just can’t see anything that points to clubs losing touch with reality en masse in the hope of squeezing into one of two promotion slots.
Private Message
Reply: 665 - 899
GrimRob
February 16, 2021, 3:31pm

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,447
Gold Stars: 114
What's the point of the clubs in the bottom third of Step 1 (or Step 2) playing on? If they do with no relegation then they are just accruing debts for the benefit of others in the division and no benefit unless they go on Hail Mary winning runs. If they do with relegation they could go down. It's lose/lose.

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Online
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 666 - 899
DB
February 16, 2021, 3:33pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.41
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,054
Gold Stars: 391
Quoted from Mikey_345

Thanks Ska.

I agree the vote will be irrelevant  as I can see a few of the bottom 10 clubs without a realistic promotion chance not playing. Why would any club chairman want to borrow money to get relegated. A lot will be looking at Dover and their reasons for not playing and think yep they're right. We'll stop.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 667 - 899
diehardmariner
February 16, 2021, 3:36pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,698
Gold Stars: 540
Yeah, you've got to think that sensibly most chairman/owners/boards are going to look at it and think it's just not worth the risk of saddling their club with mountains of debt for a gamble.  

From mid-tableish down, there's nothing to play for as it's pretty much nailed on that there's no relegation this year.  From, let's say, from Halifax upwards...you've got to have balls of steel to roll that dice and carry on.  Even if you're Torquay, would you gamble?  Sutton can catch you with their games in hand and you've still got 20 games to play, could win them all, could drop to 8th....

Perspective of it is 2012/13 (I think) we were top of the pile over Xmas and New Year, but it was fairly tight and I believe Newport could go above us with a game in hand.  Right there and then, would you have wanted Town to have run the risk of burdening the club with debt because there's a chance we might go up?   I know I certainly wouldn't.

Bloody awful for the likes of Torquay and Sutton, but there are only two that will escape that mess.  The rest are going to be caught up in the fallout for a long time.
Private Message
Reply: 668 - 899
ginnywings
February 16, 2021, 3:57pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.02
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,151
Gold Stars: 548
Every club that votes to null and void or refuse to play is another straw on the camel's back of the NL.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 669 - 899
90 Pages Prev ... 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 ... Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › National League at risk

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.