Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › National League at risk
Users Browsing Forum
Googlebot and 93 Guests

National League at risk

This thread currently has 156,004 views. Print
90 Pages Prev ... 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 ... Next All Recommend Thread
RichMariner
February 16, 2021, 4:19pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,165
Gold Stars: 211
I'm not seeing any clubs saying they'll accept the outcome of the vote.

If the majority vote to continue the season, I just think those that didn't will do what Dover have done, thus making it impossible for the season to complete.

I mean, what can the NL do about that? They can't deduct points from them, because there will be no relegation, and they can't fine them because they haven't got any money. You can't saddle a club with debt for wanting to avoid taking on a debt. Morally, that'd make the NL bankrupt.

If this were a poker hand, and I was the NL, I think I'd fold.

You've got to consider the worst case scenario for each situation:

Force clubs to take on loans to complete the season? You're putting the existence of clubs in doubt and fatally damaging the integrity of your own competition.

Stop clubs who voted to finish the season? You'll deny a small group of them a reasonable chance of promotion and maybe weaken your hand with any future bargaining with the EFL.

Either way, the NL don't come out of this well. It's damage limitation either way - but (crucially) one route doesn't critically damage many of their member clubs.

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 670 - 899
GollyGTFC
February 16, 2021, 4:33pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +19 / -11
Approval: +6,058
Gold Stars: 358
Quoted from ska face
I still don’t see where people are getting the idea that Step 1 continuing is nailed on. Like we said (p)ages ago, there’s been plenty of talk from clubs, but how many actually have the means to continue without any guarantee that they’ll get another penny from anywhere this season?

I can’t see Blozza letting fans in until August from the way he’s been going on. The Sport England board don’t meet next until early March, by which point the votes will have been cast. The Dover Chairman said they needed about £400k just to get to the end of the season, and they’ll have one of the smaller budgets in the division.

I’m not saying it won’t happen, I just can’t see anything that points to clubs losing touch with reality en masse in the hope of squeezing into one of two promotion slots.

Yes. I think a lot of people are assuming clubs that have said they “want” to continue will actually vote that way. Wanting to do something and being able to actually do it are two completely different things.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 671 - 899
Eastendmariner
February 16, 2021, 4:37pm
Mariners Trust Life Member
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +8 / -5
Approval: +942
Gold Stars: 22
we all know that 2 are promoted for NL and they need to have a good season to do it good players and a lot of Money that means 2 are successful the rest have failed  TBH  too bigger risk to be saddled with debt for a long time teams are gonna fold and the league will disintegrate

Mariner Trust Life Member  

Seen the Mariners win AWAY at 70 league Grounds

Grounds Visited 281[img][/img]

Blundell Park a Training ground for bum ref's
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 672 - 899
DB
February 16, 2021, 4:37pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.42
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,056
Gold Stars: 391
I think at the beginning of the year the NL got their steamroller out, only to find their wasn't any fuel in it.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 673 - 899
Hagrid
February 16, 2021, 4:41pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.80
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +20,487
Gold Stars: 536
Quoted from GollyGTFC

Yes. I think a lot of people are assuming clubs that have said they “want” to continue will actually vote that way. Wanting to do something and being able to actually do it are two completely different things.

Look. The NL is going to continue. Simple as that
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 674 - 899
Mikey_345
February 16, 2021, 4:53pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.32
Rep Score: +12 / -1
Approval: +5,568
Gold Stars: 107
Quoted from Hagrid

It may very well do. The point I and others are making is in what form. 5/6 teams refuse that then makes a mockery out of the ‘competition’

All Town aren’t we

@GTFCLondon

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 675 - 899
louth_in_the_south
February 16, 2021, 5:01pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +25 / -12
Approval: +5,711
Gold Stars: 96
Look . Hagrid’s pi.ssed off and believes we’re doomed ok .

Lower F5
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 676 - 899
supertown
February 16, 2021, 5:03pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +25 / -9
Approval: +3,470
Gold Stars: 53
Quoted from Hagrid

Why the messing about with the vote, should have just asked you I guess 🤨
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 677 - 899
TownSNAFU5
February 16, 2021, 5:16pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,907
Gold Stars: 42
I can see legal action being taken against the NL.   Clubs putting in money collectively.  (Well what they have).
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 678 - 899
pen penfras
February 16, 2021, 5:23pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.66
Rep Score: +8 / -9
Approval: -134
Gold Stars: 71
I don't think the NL are doing the wrong thing by putting it to a vote. The mess is that it started when clubs clearly didn't know what was in place. The same as the EFL, but we got luckier.

The problem with the vote is that only a unanimous decision to continue is really viable. If some clubs can't afford to play on and take loans, which also breaks the NL's own rules, then a vote is meaningless.

How they deal with Dover will be interesting too. If they're lone wolves, then expulsion might happen. But if 4 or 5 clubs do the same, then the integrity of the league would be destroyed by expelling them all. I expect the vote will be to continue, but I don't think that means that it will continue at all.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 679 - 899
90 Pages Prev ... 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 ... Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › National League at risk

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.