7 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 All Recommend Thread
Gaffer58
November 28, 2020, 4:19pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.88
Rep Score: +6 / -8
Approval: +4,096
Gold Stars: 33
Evidently a commentator from Lincoln’s game with Swindon midweek has been suspended for using the fraze handbags when I assume a couple of players squared up to each other. What is the world coming to!!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
arryarryarry
November 28, 2020, 5:01pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,041
Gold Stars: 116
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 62
gytone
November 28, 2020, 5:03pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +6 / -2
Approval: +1,024
Gold Stars: 8
Typical BBC, flipping arseholes.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 62
Abdul19
November 28, 2020, 5:03pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,555
Gold Stars: 216
Thank god The Sun put a picture of a handbag in that article.

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 62
arryarryarry
November 28, 2020, 5:04pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Somebody will have to have a word with John Moore.

I'm sure there is someone out there that would complain about such words as :-

backside, cow's, banjo, hit.
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 62
promotion plaice
November 28, 2020, 5:06pm

Posts Per Day: 3.85
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +17,049
Gold Stars: 197

Unbelievable, too many snowflakes around these days.

Are you allowed to say snowflakes?

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 62
arryarryarry
November 28, 2020, 5:06pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from promotion plaice

Unbelievable, too many snowflakes around these days.

Are you allowed to say snowflakes?

Only when it's snowing
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 62
Les Brechin
November 28, 2020, 5:18pm

Posts Per Day: 4.17
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,708
Gold Stars: 174
The world's gone mad!

[img]https://news.images.itv.com/image/file/402260/image_update_img.jpg[/img]
OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 62
arryarryarry
November 28, 2020, 5:30pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 62
moosey_club
November 28, 2020, 5:46pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.70
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,244
Gold Stars: 226
Not sure thats the entire case for the prosecution ......wouldnt trust anything printed in the Sun as gospel and there was reference to "some of the comments made"  which didnt meet the expected standards.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLW
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 62
golfer
November 28, 2020, 5:57pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.30
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,429
The phrase  "Exeter have scored " is to be banned for Tuesdays match.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 62
Lincoln Mariner 56
November 28, 2020, 6:09pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,688
Gold Stars: 79
He also described one of the players as a Drama Queen who should be wearing a skirt”.

Unbelievable that he would choose to use such vile and offensive language on the good old BBC, thank the lord BBC. Humberside have a team of professionals who avoid using such profanities 😀😀😀😀😀😀😀😀😀😀😀😀😀😀😀😀😀😀😀😀😀😀😀😀😀😀😀😀😀😀😀😀😀😀.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 62
Zmariner
November 29, 2020, 12:14am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +2,127
Gold Stars: 44
I used to be a huge fan of the BBC But increasingly I find it absolutely sickening.I would half the license fee and make them make huge cuts. I think television tax is outdated and why should we have to go to the trouble of avoiding their services to avoid a penalty. I am happy to pay for another service to listen to Grimsby town and for me that is the only time thing that I use radio Humberside for. UTM
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 62
KingstonMariner
November 29, 2020, 1:05am
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.07
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Anyone read or heard what actually happened?

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 62
Poojah
November 29, 2020, 4:57am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.24
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,486
Gold Stars: 1,500
Quoted from golfer
The phrase  "Exeter have scored " is to be banned for Tuesdays match.

Unfortunately “and there’s the goal” remains acceptable.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 62
Lincoln Mariner 56
November 29, 2020, 10:26am
Brandy Drinker
Quoted from KingstonMariner
Anyone read or heard what actually happened?

What happened is as stated in the initial post and my post, basically Steve Thompson, who runs a local village pub, just made what we would regard as pretty standard and non offensive adjectives to describe what was going on in the match. Absolutely crazy.

On the BBC don’t understand why they aren’t told to accept advertising and scrap the licence fee. In the old days they always had the cream of commentators, Wolstenhome, Coleman, Dan Maskell, Henry Longhurst, Harry Carpenter, Ted Lowe, John Arlott and Brian Johnson but those days are long gone and with all other channels now showing adverts the fact that the BBC no longer shows them is not an attraction. The Mrs watches Eastenders and other than Would I Lie to You I don’t think we hardly ever watch the damn channel and other than the town football commentary I never listen to their radio channels either.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 62
Rodley Mariner
November 29, 2020, 11:05am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.36
Rep Score: +63 / -17
Approval: +13,239
Gold Stars: 177
The full story is that he has been spoken to before about his choice of language. He then made several comments the other night including the handbags comment but also saying somebody was a drama queen who should wear a skirt. He isn't a BBC employee and hasn't been sacked. He is a freelancer they use and has been told he won't be used in December but will be from January though he needs to further consider his choice of phrase.

The comments don't offend me but I can understand the BBC not wanting him to repeatedly use language that infers women are weaker and more dramatic than men. The media then half report it knowing that it makes great click bait for people who have total meltdowns whilst going on about snowflakes.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 62
lew chaterleys lover
November 29, 2020, 12:06pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,715
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from Rodley Mariner
The full story is that he has been spoken to before about his choice of language. He then made several comments the other night including the handbags comment but also saying somebody was a drama queen who should wear a skirt. He isn't a BBC employee and hasn't been sacked. He is a freelancer they use and has been told he won't be used in December but will be from January though he needs to further consider his choice of phrase.

The comments don't offend me but I can understand the BBC not wanting him to repeatedly use language that infers women are weaker and more dramatic than men. The media then half report it knowing that it makes great click bait for people who have total meltdowns whilst going on about snowflakes.

I think the argument is why should a 65-year-old ex-player who has been co-commenting on "his" club for years, change his style or choice of language, just because some no mark complained about something which all football fans and relatively normal people would take as acceptable?

There has been a ludicrous line drawn somewhere by God knows who, that has lumped innocuous language into the mix of racist and misogynist hatred, which clearly is not the case here.

Private Message
Reply: 17 - 62
The Yard Dog
November 29, 2020, 12:20pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.43
Rep Score: +14 / -2
Approval: +3,499
Gold Stars: 74
Football black list

The achievements of black people from across the game, including in different areas of Premier League clubs, have been recognised in the annual Football Black List.

The 2020 edition of the initiative that celebrates the most influential black people in the British game includes players such as Manchester United's Marcus Rashford, Crystal Palace's Wilfried Zaha and Aston Villa's Tyrone Mings.

Rashford has made the list because of his campaign work to raise awareness of child food poverty in the United Kingdom. Zaha has been recognised for his efforts to support nurses during the coronavirus pandemic.

"The efforts of Marcus Rashford deserve acclaim alongside the others on the list who go about their business for the good of others," said Rodney Hinds, co-founder of the Football Black List, which is supported by the Premier League.

In the past year there has been a greater focus in football on the issue of racial injustice than ever, with players showing their support for the Black Lives Matter campaign by taking the knee before each Premier League match.

Mings and Watford striker Troy Deeney appear on the list for using their platforms to challenge racial injustice.

"The global Black Lives Matter protests has made the game reflect on its own diversity and relationship with black communities," said Leon Mann, fellow co-founder of the Football Black List.  

"The Football Black List provides a snapshot of the wonderful contribution the black community makes to the national sport.

"We hope it inspires the next generation of black leaders to follow those listed and the initiative helps encourage the football industry to put diversity at the top of the agenda, where it needs to be to make much-needed progress in this area."

Off the pitch, those at Premier League clubs honoured include Marie Gabriel CBE, chair of the West Ham United Foundation, West Ham’s commercial director Nathan Thompson, Tony Whelan, the assistant academy director at Manchester United, Eni Aluko, the sporting director of Aston Villa FC Women, and Jade Morgan, general manager of Leicester City Women.

Would we get away with a White list
The achievements of white people from across the game, including in different areas of Premier League clubs, have been recognised in the annual Football white List.

All achievements regardless of skin colour should be recognised, this is the problem, it them and us (am I allowed to say this).
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 62
coddy60
November 29, 2020, 12:27pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +7 / -16
Approval: +652
Gold Stars: 13
In the words of Stephen Fry...

"It's now very common to hear people say, 'I'm rather offended by that.' As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more... than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well, so flipping what."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 62
golfer
November 29, 2020, 1:15pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.30
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,429

I dare say women would agree that they are weaker and more dramatic than men ( other than those on the BBC )
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 62
Rodley Mariner
November 29, 2020, 1:32pm
Special Brew Drinker
Yeah a quick look through this thread or the Tranmere match thread should be evidence of the stoic nature of men.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 62
KingstonMariner
November 29, 2020, 2:46pm
Meths Drinker

Thank you for some facts Rodders.

Isn’t it usually the case that people who jump to use the term ‘snowflake’ are the biggest whiners out there? “Boo hoo! I can’t say what I like any more! I’ve got to think about other people.”

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 62
KingstonMariner
November 29, 2020, 2:48pm
Meths Drinker
Quoted from Lincoln Mariner 56

What happened is as stated in the initial post and my post, basically Steve Thompson, who runs a local village pub, just made what we would regard as pretty standard and non offensive adjectives to describe what was going on in the match. Absolutely crazy.

On the BBC don’t understand why they aren’t told to accept advertising and scrap the licence fee. In the old days they always had the cream of commentators, Wolstenhome, Coleman, Dan Maskell, Henry Longhurst, Harry Carpenter, Ted Lowe, John Arlott and Brian Johnson but those days are long gone and with all other channels now showing adverts the fact that the BBC no longer shows them is not an attraction. The Mrs watches Eastenders and other than Would I Lie to You I don’t think we hardly ever watch the damn channel and other than the town football commentary I never listen to their radio channels either.

With respect, what has the fact he runs a village pub got to do with the price of fish?

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 62
Rodley Mariner
November 29, 2020, 2:57pm
Special Brew Drinker

Thank you for some facts Rodders.

Isn’t it usually the case that people who jump to use the term ‘snowflake’ are the biggest whiners out there? “Boo hoo! I can’t say what I like any more! I’ve got to think about other people.”

Yeah exactly. The minute you saw that he'd been 'sacked for saying handbags' didn't you know that wouldn't be the whole story?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 62
grimps
November 29, 2020, 3:11pm
balderdash
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.79
Rep Score: +21 / -19
Approval: +5,118
Gold Stars: 46
Only Fanny’s like Lincoln fans would complain about something like that .
Let’s face it they was too scared to visit Blundell park for 30 years , I used to quite enjoy the annual excuses why they couldn’t visit Grimsby every year thread on their site
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 62
Lincoln Mariner 56
November 29, 2020, 3:26pm
Brandy Drinker

With respect, what has the fact he runs a village pub got to do with the price of fish?

F... all but your obviously bored to raise a question about it
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 62
KingstonMariner
November 29, 2020, 3:31pm
Meths Drinker

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 62
KingstonMariner
November 29, 2020, 3:34pm
Meths Drinker
Quoted from Lincoln Mariner 56

F... all but your obviously bored to raise a question about it

Yeah. Bored of old gits whinging about half-reported news stories.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 62
Bigdog
November 29, 2020, 3:47pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162

I cannot believe in or agree with anything the BBC stands for nowadays. It's a racial profiling, identity politiking, virtue signalling woke joke along with its other tv media outlet chums like CNN, Sky, C4 etc and also the overly powerful big tech giants, all trying to dictate a narrow political narrative to the masses while cancelling any differing or opposing viewpoints. BBC wouldn't even use the word fisherman the other week.. "fisher people" instead as the word fisherman could offend women who fish.. It's getting insane..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 62
lew chaterleys lover
November 29, 2020, 3:50pm
Vodka Drinker

Yeah. Bored of old gits whinging about half-reported news stories.

I actually think this is quite important.

There has to be a line drawn as to what is an acceptable and oft used football cliche, and people objecting to it because it does not fit into their current thinking.

I am sure Steve Thompson, like an awful lot of senior ex-pros, uses colourful language to describe things. So what? Why can't we distinguish between things that are not meant in any way whatsoever to be rude, cruel or against the law, and things that are said in particular walks of life or in a context that means no harm?

The BBC has become a parody of itself, and is fast losing support so this is all grist to the mill for its critics.
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 62
moosey_club
November 29, 2020, 3:57pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.70
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,244
Gold Stars: 226

Well if the price goes up it would effect the profit and loss on his fish Friday meal deal.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLW
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 62
headingly_mariner
November 29, 2020, 6:25pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,342
Gold Stars: 113
Quoted from Bigdog

I cannot believe in or agree with anything the BBC stands for nowadays. It's a racial profiling, identity politiking, virtue signalling woke joke along with its other tv media outlet chums like CNN, Sky, C4 etc and also the overly powerful big tech giants, all trying to dictate a narrow political narrative to the masses while cancelling any differing or opposing viewpoints. BBC wouldn't even use the word fisherman the other week.. "fisher people" instead as the word fisherman could offend women who fish.. It's getting insane..

The BBC are relentless at making sure they show differing and opposing viewpoints. You only have to watch one episode of Question Time and see the bookings of weirdos and extremists from both sides of the political spectrum. It gives too much airtime to people I personally think it shouldn’t (farage, Tommy Robinson etc) but I suppose it is there to make sure all views are represented.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 62
arryarryarry
November 29, 2020, 6:52pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from headingly_mariner

The BBC are relentless at making sure they show differing and opposing viewpoints. You only have to watch one episode of Question Time and see the bookings of weirdos and extremists from both sides of the political spectrum. It gives too much airtime to people I personally think it shouldn’t (farage, Tommy Robinson etc) but I suppose it is there to make sure all views are represented.

Said the person who could only pick two names from the right of the political spectrum 😁
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 62
GYinScuntland
November 30, 2020, 2:08am

Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.49
Rep Score: +21 / -6
Approval: +3,238
Gold Stars: 97
Stop the world I want to get off.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 62
November 30, 2020, 2:45am
Guest User
Quoted from Bigdog

Agree with all this.

The controversial and divisive critical race theory that is doing wonders in the USA at the moment!! Is worryingly coming into a lot of news outlets, charities, the national trust, museums and even schools over here. We are self destructing.

I can’t remember who, but someone recently said about the ‘fisherperson’ language. “Any women that are actually fisherman. Arent the sort of people that would be offended at being called a fisherman !!” People are getting offended at the possibility that someone else may get offended !

Football is meant to be fun. A distraction from the balderdash of life. By bringing this kind of stuff in at THIS LEVEL of scrutiny is going to ruin the distraction!

The people that want this woke culture in every aspect of our lives, and are willing to force companies to either sack individuals or not use them, should be held to their own ridiculously high ‘morale’ bar.

The hypocrisy is laughable. You have premier league footballer taking a knee for BLM before a game. Whilst wearing branding that currently uses forced slaved labour in other countries !

How many of the BLM protestors were also wearing similar brands with dodgy as intercourse morales. If you are going to try and change how the world speaks and acts, on shaky at best ‘theories’ then you better make sure your house is in order first.  

And with the BBC, the pendulum has swung so far the other way it’s borderline sexist/racist in the other direction.  Victoria Derbyshire introduced Jeremy hunt , with a c instead of an h. Which a) was hilarious. B) probably true. But she went on to apologise and say this isn’t a word I use. It’s a word men usually use.

Now I couldn’t give to felicitations about that. But if a man had said a similar thing about a women. He would lose his job. His income. His reputation. How the intercourse is this progressive.
Reply: 35 - 62
scrumble
November 30, 2020, 9:40am

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.24
Rep Score: +12 / -2
Approval: +983
Gold Stars: 10
Other phrases that will now be banned

Couldn't hit a cows bottom with a banjo - promotes  violence towards animals.

Giant killing - derogatory to taller people, also to those of smaller stature as it suggests they aren't worthy of being taken seriously.  

Man of the match - clearly misogynistic

Byddwn ond yn canu pan fyddwn yn pysgota
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 62
ska face
November 30, 2020, 10:47am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,657
Gold Stars: 847
Another 4 pages of the usual cry-babies complaining about another word they’re not allowed to say, is it?

Don’t you bores ever get tired of your victim mentality? It’s a wonder you manage to make it out of bed in the morning.
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 62
lew chaterleys lover
November 30, 2020, 10:53am
Vodka Drinker
I agree with Ska Face.

Anybody using the word handbag should be frog marched to the nearest police station.
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 62
Zmariner
November 30, 2020, 11:08am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +2,127
Gold Stars: 44
I agree with Ska Face.

Anybody using the word handbag should be frog marched to the nearest police station.

I am sorry but that has offended me as I am a great supporter of frogs.
Truthfully, completely agree this whole terror of using certain words is absolutely and completely pathetic. Some words should never be used and deserve every condemnation. Half of the time with these words it is the ignorance of the user in the historical meaning of these words.For me this is becoming a very sad state of affairs. UTM
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 62
Gaffer58
November 30, 2020, 12:05pm
Brandy Drinker
Quoted from ska face
Another 4 pages of the usual cry-babies complaining about another word they’re not allowed to say, is it?

Don’t you bores ever get tired of your victim mentality? It’s a wonder you manage to make it out of bed in the morning.

Ah, so I’m a victim now, sure if I look hard enough there’s bound to be a lawyer somewhere who would take up my case on a now no fee contract.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 62
ska face
November 30, 2020, 12:07pm

Vodka Drinker
Quoted from Gaffer58

Ah, so I’m a victim now,

No. That’s the point.
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 62
diehardmariner
November 30, 2020, 12:25pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,600
Gold Stars: 538
I actually like the BBC and think the licence fee is great value.  On a daily basis I can find something to watch without too much trouble at all.  I dare say their website is the one I visit the most, their radio stations the ones I listen to the most, their podcasts up there as the ones I listen to the most too.  I think it works out at about £13 a month is it?  Lets put it this way, for me that's far better value than something like Netflix or Amazon Prime - I think they're about £8 a month each but I get way more than twice the value from the BBC than I do from either of those, Netflix is probably the better comparison as the benefit I get from Prime next day delivery in the two days before Xmas more than justifies the cost (but the media benefits of it are quite poor in my opinion).  

Compared to something like Sky, the licence fee is even better value.  I've got a very basic TV package with Virgin, one where it's bundled in with your broadband and phone.  I don't want any of the channels that come with it, to be honest I don't even know what ones I have!  The only channels I watch are the BBC ones or Channel 4.

I get it, people don't feel they should have to pay the fee and I do understand that.  But for me personally it represents superb value.

I can't say I particularly get worked up if they've got a 'woke' agenda.  I try to balance the news I take on board, whilst I like the BBC I don't use it as my sole source of information.  Equally so I can't say it bothers me what race, gender, religion, hairstyle etc. any of the presenters have either.  

I wonder if the people who get worked up about stuff like this are just fuelling the fire?  
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 62
blundellpork
November 30, 2020, 6:36pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.09
Rep Score: +3 / -2
Approval: +1,655
Gold Stars: 32
Completely agree diehardmariner that the BBC is incredible value. In no particular order- MOTD, Wimbledon and Line of Duty are probably worth the annual fee alone, and I would happily pay the same again if it allowed the removal of adverts on itv and channel 4. Over the years I’ve also been a huge consumer of their news and political shows, but have become quite disillusioned with their woke agenda over more recent years.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 62
toontown
November 30, 2020, 6:52pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,277
Gold Stars: 70
I agree with You in many ways, but of course the penalty for not choosing to pay for say Amazon's services is you don't get their services, not a criminal offence and a fine. If that could ever be justified, it certainly can't now.

Just imagine if it didn't exist and they tried to impose that now...
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 62
codcheeky
November 30, 2020, 7:04pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.38
Approval: +1,251
Gold Stars: 31
Quoted from blundellpork
Completely agree diehardmariner that the BBC is incredible value. In no particular order- MOTD, Wimbledon and Line of Duty are probably worth the annual fee alone, and I would happily pay the same again if it allowed the removal of adverts on itv and channel 4. Over the years I’ve also been a huge consumer of their news and political shows, but have become quite disillusioned with their woke agenda over more recent years.

Like you I am a fan of the BBC, varied programs of a consistently high standard and the radio is in my opinion even better. I say that as someone who watches none of the programmes you quote which shows how hard it is to please everyone.
I am not keen on their news and current affairs team, but there are plenty of other options.
We are in a time of unprecedented media saturation and language used has come under more scrutiny than ever before, it is up to our national broadcaster to attempt to set the highest standards possible, there absolutely should be a code of conduct and it should be followed, there are rules to every profession and journalism is no different, if a journalist breaks those rules they should expect to face consequences.
We are in a time of unprecedented equality awareness, we have made a transition from a patriarchal, homophobic society when I was young to one which everyone’s rights are supposed to be judged equally, along with that change in attitude must come a change in language, that so many on here get so upset about not being able to casually insult a gender or a sexuality says a lot about them, that some of these cannot see the irony in calling others snowflakes just shows how closed their minds are
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 62
arryarryarry
November 30, 2020, 10:40pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from codcheeky

Like you I am a fan of the BBC, varied programs of a consistently high standard and the radio is in my opinion even better. I say that as someone who watches none of the programmes you quote which shows how hard it is to please everyone.
I am not keen on their news and current affairs team, but there are plenty of other options.
We are in a time of unprecedented media saturation and language used has come under more scrutiny than ever before, it is up to our national broadcaster to attempt to set the highest standards possible, there absolutely should be a code of conduct and it should be followed, there are rules to every profession and journalism is no different, if a journalist breaks those rules they should expect to face consequences.
We are in a time of unprecedented equality awareness, we have made a transition from a patriarchal, homophobic society when I was young to one which everyone’s rights are supposed to be judged equally, along with that change in attitude must come a change in language, that so many on here get so upset about not being able to casually insult a gender or a sexuality says a lot about them, that some of these cannot see the irony in calling others snowflakes just shows how closed their minds are

So you think it's high standards to pay a twit like Gary Lineker 1.8 million pounds a year to front a football programme. For that alone the licence fee should be scrapped.
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 62
Norseman
December 1, 2020, 12:00am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.45
Rep Score: +2 / -4
Approval: +286
Gold Stars: 48
If the BBC are so good then why not put it to the test and see how many subscribers they get. I personally dont watch live tv anymore because of all the  PC advertising, programming and biased  lefty reporting. However if people do want the service no problem. Privatise it and go subscription. Its people free choice then
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 62
fishboyUTM
December 1, 2020, 8:58am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.42
Rep Score: +7 / -3
Approval: +1,068
Gold Stars: 40
Like many, I've moved over to on demand type television and rarely watch live TV. I would get rid of the licence which is an outrage but the missus watches all sort of soap nonsense and despite my words of advice, I fear she would invite any licencing man in and we'd be in court.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 62
Garth
December 1, 2020, 9:57am

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +55 / -13
Approval: +4,921
Gold Stars: 26
I agree with Ska Face.

The person insisting he be frog marched should be done for cruelty to animals and French people
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 62
lew chaterleys lover
December 1, 2020, 10:07am
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from codcheeky

The important points in your last paragraph are rather overshadowed if you are lumping "handbags" into the mix. Anybody who can get upset by the use of the word handbags in a football context is indeed a snowflake. Failure to draw a line under the most innocuous language is what is setting back the important drive for equality.
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 62
codcheeky
December 1, 2020, 11:50am
Cocktail Drinker

The important points in your last paragraph are rather overshadowed if you are lumping "handbags" into the mix. Anybody who can get upset by the use of the word handbags in a football context is indeed a snowflake. Failure to draw a line under the most innocuous language is what is setting back the important drive for equality.

Handbags has become an effeminate slur, maybe it always was and just needed pointing out to us who just accepted it as a figure of speech, I’ve used this saying myself in the past, but if people feel offended by it I am quite accept I was wrong.
This is the problem with having retired footballers rather than trained journalists commenting and commentating on live radio, things get said with no intent of being offensive, but as I said in my earlier post ignorance is no excuse, if these people want to commentate they should be qualified to do so especially at the BBC
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 62
codcheeky
December 1, 2020, 12:14pm
Cocktail Drinker
Quoted from arryarryarry

So you think it's high standards to pay a twit like Gary Lineker 1.8 million pounds a year to front a football programme. For that alone the licence fee should be scrapped.

The BBC have their pay structure, I don’t agree with it at all, It is a Public Owned organisation, I believe the top pay should be no greater than that of the Prime minister. There would be plenty desperate for a chance at Linekers job, presenting a dance show, hosting a radio show or reading the news, however you cannot blame the person because their employer wants to pay them a lot of money. I would be extremely surprised if SKY didn’t snap him up straight away if he left the BBC, there is no one at the BBC coming close to what Ant and Dec coin in at ITV.  Privatising the BBC would not affect Lineker in the slightest, Match of the Day is very popular and probably sold on around the world and like him or not he is the main man
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 62
Gaffer58
December 1, 2020, 12:49pm
Brandy Drinker
Codcheeky, your comment about being paid more then the prime minister is spot on, and it doesn’t matter from which party the prime minister is from. When Boris stands there during the daily virus updates he has various executives from the many runs of the NHS, and I bet they are all paid more then him,bloody hell they are public servants just like bin men etc. Look at local council and NHS trusts, again the top few all earning more then the man who is basically their boss and running the country.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 62
diehardmariner
December 1, 2020, 1:45pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,600
Gold Stars: 538
The difference is that the Chief Executive of the local council or hospital trust probably won't be making millions from dinner speeches, book deals and for sitting on various boards after a relatively short stay in the job.
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 62
ska face
December 1, 2020, 1:48pm

Vodka Drinker
Plus they are presumably on those positions based on professional competence and ability. Politicians only need one quality and that is winning a personality competition every 5 years.
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 62
lew chaterleys lover
December 1, 2020, 4:26pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from codcheeky

Handbags has become an effeminate slur, maybe it always was and just needed pointing out to us who just accepted it as a figure of speech, I’ve used this saying myself in the past, but if people feel offended by it I am quite accept I was wrong.
This is the problem with having retired footballers rather than trained journalists commenting and commentating on live radio, things get said with no intent of being offensive, but as I said in my earlier post ignorance is no excuse, if these people want to commentate they should be qualified to do so especially at the BBC

I must say that reply has left me open-mouthed with bewilderment.

You are saying sorry for the use of an established footballing cliche, in case someone somewhere has taken offence, even though no malice was intended and no law was broken?

You don't want ex-professional players to commentate on a game which has been there whole lives, and who have brought joy to millions because they are not "qualified" professional journalists just in case they may say something, anything, that somebody could, perhaps take offence with?

You say ignorance is no excuse, but I beg to differ. How on earth is anybody supposed to know using a football cliche (handbags this week, but something else next) is forbidden when it is a normal figure of speech in football terms?

The BBC has said to Steve Thompson he can resume his duties in the New year, which is kind of them (!) If I was he I would tell 'em to sling their hook and see them at the tribunal.
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 62
Rodley Mariner
December 1, 2020, 4:32pm
Special Brew Drinker
You seem to be wilfully ignoring the fact this wasn't specifically about the handbags comment and that he had been spoken to previously and had the issue explained to him. I suspect the 'if he's going to act like that he should wear a dress' was more of an issue than the handbags comment but the press who reported it knew quoting the handbags line would get more attention.

He won't be able to take them to a tribunal either as he is a freelancer and won't have any contractual rights.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 57 - 62
Rodley Mariner
December 1, 2020, 4:33pm
Special Brew Drinker
For what it's worth if he had been sacked for saying handbags I would agree it was ludicrous but that isn't what has happened.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 58 - 62
lew chaterleys lover
December 1, 2020, 4:46pm
Vodka Drinker
You seem to be wilfully ignoring the fact this wasn't specifically about the handbags comment and that he had been spoken to previously and had the issue explained to him. I suspect the 'if he's going to act like that he should wear a dress' was more of an issue than the handbags comment but the press who reported it knew quoting the handbags line would get more attention.

He won't be able to take them to a tribunal either as he is a freelancer and won't have any contractual rights.

It's the "issue" that I take issue with. Its all pathetic, and I genuinely feel sorry for those of you living their lives in a make-believe world of absolute nonsense.
Private Message
Reply: 59 - 62
codcheeky
December 1, 2020, 6:18pm
Cocktail Drinker

I must say that reply has left me open-mouthed with bewilderment.

You are saying sorry for the use of an established footballing cliche, in case someone somewhere has taken offence, even though no malice was intended and no law was broken?

You don't want ex-professional players to commentate on a game which has been there whole lives, and who have brought joy to millions because they are not "qualified" professional journalists just in case they may say something, anything, that somebody could, perhaps take offence with?

You say ignorance is no excuse, but I beg to differ. How on earth is anybody supposed to know using a football cliche (handbags this week, but something else next) is forbidden when it is a normal figure of speech in football terms?

The BBC has said to Steve Thompson he can resume his duties in the New year, which is kind of them (!) If I was he I would tell 'em to sling their hook and see them at the tribunal.

Language flows and changes, lots of things said as recently as the seventies and eighties are deemed absolutely unthinkable for people on tv to say today, I can remember watching Bernard Manning and even Jim Davidson who’s whole acts were based on racist stereotypes, If people are genuinely offended by terms like handbags why say it,  Because something has been said for years doesn’t mean it is automatically acceptable. I never even thought it might be offensive until today but I’m willing to learn new stuff
Private Message
Reply: 60 - 62
Rodley Mariner
December 1, 2020, 7:51pm
Special Brew Drinker

It's the "issue" that I take issue with. Its all pathetic, and I genuinely feel sorry for those of you living their lives in a make-believe world of absolute nonsense.

Don't pity me, I'm not the one who wants to live in the 1970's for the rest of my life.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 61 - 62
LH
December 1, 2020, 8:13pm

Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +30 / -13
Approval: +18,503
Gold Stars: 173
Ya carnt evun call it black forist gatto nemore!
Private Message
Reply: 62 - 62
7 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Handbags

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.