7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 All Recommend Thread
codcheeky
December 1, 2020, 6:18pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.38
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +1,251
Gold Stars: 31

I must say that reply has left me open-mouthed with bewilderment.

You are saying sorry for the use of an established footballing cliche, in case someone somewhere has taken offence, even though no malice was intended and no law was broken?

You don't want ex-professional players to commentate on a game which has been there whole lives, and who have brought joy to millions because they are not "qualified" professional journalists just in case they may say something, anything, that somebody could, perhaps take offence with?

You say ignorance is no excuse, but I beg to differ. How on earth is anybody supposed to know using a football cliche (handbags this week, but something else next) is forbidden when it is a normal figure of speech in football terms?

The BBC has said to Steve Thompson he can resume his duties in the New year, which is kind of them (!) If I was he I would tell 'em to sling their hook and see them at the tribunal.

Language flows and changes, lots of things said as recently as the seventies and eighties are deemed absolutely unthinkable for people on tv to say today, I can remember watching Bernard Manning and even Jim Davidson who’s whole acts were based on racist stereotypes, If people are genuinely offended by terms like handbags why say it,  Because something has been said for years doesn’t mean it is automatically acceptable. I never even thought it might be offensive until today but I’m willing to learn new stuff
Private Message
Reply: 60 - 62
Rodley Mariner
December 1, 2020, 7:51pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.36
Rep Score: +63 / -17
Approval: +13,239
Gold Stars: 176

It's the "issue" that I take issue with. Its all pathetic, and I genuinely feel sorry for those of you living their lives in a make-believe world of absolute nonsense.

Don't pity me, I'm not the one who wants to live in the 1970's for the rest of my life.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 61 - 62
LH
December 1, 2020, 8:13pm

Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +30 / -13
Approval: +18,503
Gold Stars: 173
Ya carnt evun call it black forist gatto nemore!
Private Message
Reply: 62 - 62
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Handbags

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.