lew chaterleys lover
December 1, 2020, 10:07am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,545
Gold Stars: 231
Quoted from codcheeky

Like you I am a fan of the BBC, varied programs of a consistently high standard and the radio is in my opinion even better. I say that as someone who watches none of the programmes you quote which shows how hard it is to please everyone.
I am not keen on their news and current affairs team, but there are plenty of other options.
We are in a time of unprecedented media saturation and language used has come under more scrutiny than ever before, it is up to our national broadcaster to attempt to set the highest standards possible, there absolutely should be a code of conduct and it should be followed, there are rules to every profession and journalism is no different, if a journalist breaks those rules they should expect to face consequences.
We are in a time of unprecedented equality awareness, we have made a transition from a patriarchal, homophobic society when I was young to one which everyone’s rights are supposed to be judged equally, along with that change in attitude must come a change in language, that so many on here get so upset about not being able to casually insult a gender or a sexuality says a lot about them, that some of these cannot see the irony in calling others snowflakes just shows how closed their minds are

The important points in your last paragraph are rather overshadowed if you are lumping "handbags" into the mix. Anybody who can get upset by the use of the word handbags in a football context is indeed a snowflake. Failure to draw a line under the most innocuous language is what is setting back the important drive for equality.
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 62
codcheeky
December 1, 2020, 11:50am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.38
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +1,251
Gold Stars: 31

The important points in your last paragraph are rather overshadowed if you are lumping "handbags" into the mix. Anybody who can get upset by the use of the word handbags in a football context is indeed a snowflake. Failure to draw a line under the most innocuous language is what is setting back the important drive for equality.

Handbags has become an effeminate slur, maybe it always was and just needed pointing out to us who just accepted it as a figure of speech, I’ve used this saying myself in the past, but if people feel offended by it I am quite accept I was wrong.
This is the problem with having retired footballers rather than trained journalists commenting and commentating on live radio, things get said with no intent of being offensive, but as I said in my earlier post ignorance is no excuse, if these people want to commentate they should be qualified to do so especially at the BBC
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 62
codcheeky
December 1, 2020, 12:14pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.38
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +1,251
Quoted from arryarryarry

So you think it's high standards to pay a twit like Gary Lineker 1.8 million pounds a year to front a football programme. For that alone the licence fee should be scrapped.

The BBC have their pay structure, I don’t agree with it at all, It is a Public Owned organisation, I believe the top pay should be no greater than that of the Prime minister. There would be plenty desperate for a chance at Linekers job, presenting a dance show, hosting a radio show or reading the news, however you cannot blame the person because their employer wants to pay them a lot of money. I would be extremely surprised if SKY didn’t snap him up straight away if he left the BBC, there is no one at the BBC coming close to what Ant and Dec coin in at ITV.  Privatising the BBC would not affect Lineker in the slightest, Match of the Day is very popular and probably sold on around the world and like him or not he is the main man
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 62
Gaffer58
December 1, 2020, 12:49pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.88
Rep Score: +6 / -8
Approval: +4,034
Codcheeky, your comment about being paid more then the prime minister is spot on, and it doesn’t matter from which party the prime minister is from. When Boris stands there during the daily virus updates he has various executives from the many runs of the NHS, and I bet they are all paid more then him,bloody hell they are public servants just like bin men etc. Look at local council and NHS trusts, again the top few all earning more then the man who is basically their boss and running the country.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 62
diehardmariner
December 1, 2020, 1:45pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.97
Rep Score: +35 / -7
Approval: +17,085
Gold Stars: 518
The difference is that the Chief Executive of the local council or hospital trust probably won't be making millions from dinner speeches, book deals and for sitting on various boards after a relatively short stay in the job.
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 62
ska face
December 1, 2020, 1:48pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,342
Gold Stars: 820
Plus they are presumably on those positions based on professional competence and ability. Politicians only need one quality and that is winning a personality competition every 5 years.
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 62
lew chaterleys lover
December 1, 2020, 4:26pm
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from codcheeky

Handbags has become an effeminate slur, maybe it always was and just needed pointing out to us who just accepted it as a figure of speech, I’ve used this saying myself in the past, but if people feel offended by it I am quite accept I was wrong.
This is the problem with having retired footballers rather than trained journalists commenting and commentating on live radio, things get said with no intent of being offensive, but as I said in my earlier post ignorance is no excuse, if these people want to commentate they should be qualified to do so especially at the BBC

I must say that reply has left me open-mouthed with bewilderment.

You are saying sorry for the use of an established footballing cliche, in case someone somewhere has taken offence, even though no malice was intended and no law was broken?

You don't want ex-professional players to commentate on a game which has been there whole lives, and who have brought joy to millions because they are not "qualified" professional journalists just in case they may say something, anything, that somebody could, perhaps take offence with?

You say ignorance is no excuse, but I beg to differ. How on earth is anybody supposed to know using a football cliche (handbags this week, but something else next) is forbidden when it is a normal figure of speech in football terms?

The BBC has said to Steve Thompson he can resume his duties in the New year, which is kind of them (!) If I was he I would tell 'em to sling their hook and see them at the tribunal.
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 62
Rodley Mariner
December 1, 2020, 4:32pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.37
Rep Score: +63 / -17
Approval: +13,215
Gold Stars: 176
You seem to be wilfully ignoring the fact this wasn't specifically about the handbags comment and that he had been spoken to previously and had the issue explained to him. I suspect the 'if he's going to act like that he should wear a dress' was more of an issue than the handbags comment but the press who reported it knew quoting the handbags line would get more attention.

He won't be able to take them to a tribunal either as he is a freelancer and won't have any contractual rights.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 57 - 62
Rodley Mariner
December 1, 2020, 4:33pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.37
Rep Score: +63 / -17
Approval: +13,215
Gold Stars: 176
For what it's worth if he had been sacked for saying handbags I would agree it was ludicrous but that isn't what has happened.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 58 - 62
lew chaterleys lover
December 1, 2020, 4:46pm
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from Rodley Mariner
You seem to be wilfully ignoring the fact this wasn't specifically about the handbags comment and that he had been spoken to previously and had the issue explained to him. I suspect the 'if he's going to act like that he should wear a dress' was more of an issue than the handbags comment but the press who reported it knew quoting the handbags line would get more attention.

He won't be able to take them to a tribunal either as he is a freelancer and won't have any contractual rights.

It's the "issue" that I take issue with. Its all pathetic, and I genuinely feel sorry for those of you living their lives in a make-believe world of absolute nonsense.
Private Message
Reply: 59 - 62
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Handbags

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.