15 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 Next All Recommend Thread
KingstonMariner
November 21, 2021, 10:12pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.07
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Heavy subject told in an engaging way. A German artist/illustrator explores her family’s past during the Nazi period. Nice short read too.

‘Heimat’ by Nora Krug.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 90 - 146
Sandford1981
November 24, 2021, 6:22pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +11 / 0
Approval: +2,085
Gold Stars: 59
How to Grow Old
John Bishop

Another listen on audible although admittedly and wrongly  I chose it thinking it was picking up from where his autobiography left off. Not that’s he’s not involved in the stories of course but it’s more a series of observations on the title subject. As with his autobiography I thoroughly enjoyed it. There is something very personable and down to earth about him whilst he mixes every day life with the glitz of show business.

“I know writers who use subtext and they’re all cowards.” –Garth Marenghi
Private Message
Reply: 91 - 146
Sandford1981
February 23, 2022, 11:03am
Fine Wine Drinker
Dusty
Reflections of Wrestling’s American Dream
Dusty Rhodes

Another listen on Audible and yet another Wrestling autobiography. I must sound like a broken record but the formula absolutely works. The stories on the road are brilliantly entertaining and very amusing. The story straddles all the major organisations, celebrities , top wrestlers, exciting time periods and a lot of his family life is in there too. A great listen for any wrestling fan and maybe for some open minded non wrestling fans too.

Private Message
Reply: 92 - 146
Sandford1981
February 25, 2022, 1:44pm
Fine Wine Drinker
The Sound of Laughter
Peter Kay

Performed by Peter I listened to this and enjoyed every second including him veering off script multiple times to tell stories not in the written book.
He has an uncanny knack of making mundane situations both engaging and funny, a successful formula that is repeated time again without the enjoyment ever lessening for me. The only shame being that this book just scratched the surface and so I will look forward to the next chapter of his life impatiently.

Private Message
Reply: 93 - 146
Sandford1981
March 7, 2022, 1:09pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Windswept and Interesting
Billy Connolly

Billy Connolly was the first stand up comedian I can remember as my Mum and Dad really liked him. I’ve never really watched a lot of his comedy but have seen a few of his TV shows and appearances on chat shows. I always liked him and found him to be very engaging rather than out and out funny. He had charisma and an appealing attitude.
As soon as I saw he had a book out I decided to give it a listen. His tales of growing up in Glasgow as a young lad and his relationships with his Mum, Dad and Aunt are grim but are punctuated with softer moments.
I found out so much that I didn’t know about him which was an absolute treat. I can’t say too much without ruining the surprises I had when I discovered them.
Despite not previously finding him funny I have laughed a lot and so I have listened to some of his material on YouTube and found it properly amusing.
I’ve enjoyed every moment of listening to Billy perform his autobiography and would recommend it to anyone.  

Private Message
Reply: 94 - 146
KingstonMariner
March 7, 2022, 1:42pm
Meths Drinker
Quoted from Sandford1981
Windswept and Interesting
Billy Connolly

Billy Connolly was the first stand up comedian I can remember as my Mum and Dad really liked him. I’ve never really watched a lot of his comedy but have seen a few of his TV shows and appearances on chat shows. I always liked him and found him to be very engaging rather than out and out funny. He had charisma and an appealing attitude.
As soon as I saw he had a book out I decided to give it a listen. His tales of growing up in Glasgow as a young lad and his relationships with his Mum, Dad and Aunt are grim but are punctuated with softer moments.
I found out so much that I didn’t know about him which was an absolute treat. I can’t say too much without ruining the surprises I had when I discovered them.
Despite not previously finding him funny I have laughed a lot and so I have listened to some of his material on YouTube and found it properly amusing.
I’ve enjoyed every moment of listening to Billy perform his autobiography and would recommend it to anyone.  

My fave Connolly ‘joke’ is the story of Celtic fans on the lash in Rome. Inverted commas because it’s more of a rambling funny story than a classic joke.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 95 - 146
Sandford1981
March 7, 2022, 3:07pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Quoted from KingstonMariner

My fave Connolly ‘joke’ is the story of Celtic fans on the lash in Rome. Inverted commas because it’s more of a rambling funny story than a classic joke.

That’s him in a nutshell isn’t it! The crucifixion yarn had me in bits. I suppose when you don’t write material, wing it and walk on stage that will happen. What a talent!

Private Message
Reply: 96 - 146
KingstonMariner
March 7, 2022, 7:51pm
Meths Drinker
Quoted from Sandford1981

That’s him in a nutshell isn’t it! The crucifixion yarn had me in bits. I suppose when you don’t write material, wing it and walk on stage that will happen. What a talent!

Yeah the comedy was originally just filler between songs at his folk gigs.

What the hell is jojoba! 😆

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 97 - 146
Sandford1981
April 27, 2022, 12:29pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Brung Up Proper
Jason Mandford

Another listen on audible that I’ve really enjoyed. Another comedian’s autobiography but there’s just something about them that appeals to me.
A good performance from the man himself on narration and he tells some great stories that had me chuckling along at regular intervals.
Covers childhood through university and the infancy of his comedy career so plenty still to come in future books no doubt.

Private Message
Reply: 98 - 146
pilgrim
May 9, 2022, 5:04pm
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.00
Approval: +2
hi everyone, I am new hear. Just thought I would say hello and tell you about some books I have read.
I enjoy most types of books. From Stephen Leather to James herbert. I enjoy some good horror right through to action and spy books. Often I will check books that others recommend, such as Harlan Colburn, someone who was selling some of his books. I got some and am enjoying them. With nothing better to do for the last two years, I decided to have a go at writing a book myself. Being very poor at English, (didn't bother too much with school) I managed to put something together but am now at the stage where I need someone to come alongside who would be prepared to edit and sort out all that other stuff out that most people take for granted. So if any of you out there is an ex English teacher or other people clever at this English stuff and would like to help me achieve my goal I would love to hear from you. (I have used online spell checkers but my grammar is pants) Thank you for reading this long post, (almost a book in itself)
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 99 - 146
15 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Non Football › Book Club

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.