Sandford1981
September 25, 2020, 10:06am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +11 / 0
Approval: +2,074
Gold Stars: 59
Same as film club but books!

On the recommendation of Poojah I’ve recently finished Richie Sadlier’s autobiography. For the most part I find footballer’s books are much of a muchness and don’t really say a lot but this was different. I’d definitely recommend this to anyone.

“I know writers who use subtext and they’re all cowards.” –Garth Marenghi
Private Message
Ipswin
September 25, 2020, 11:27am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.11
Rep Score: +44 / -47
Approval: -3,552
Gold Stars: 89
Mendelevski's Box by Roger Swindells  

On bended knee is no way to be free - Peter R de Vries

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse.....=public_profile_post
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 146
Marinerz93
September 25, 2020, 12:48pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +89 / -11
Approval: +6,292
Gold Stars: 1
Horror books,

The Keep  - F. Paul Wilson
The Dark - James Herbert

Supporting the Mighty Mariners for over 30 years, home town club is were the heart and soul is and it's great to be a part of it.

Jesus’ disciple Peter, picked up a fish to get the tribute money from it, Jesus left his thumb print on the fish, bless'ed is the Haddock.
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 146
Rick12
September 26, 2020, 7:45am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.15
Rep Score: +42 / -3
Approval: +255
Gold Stars: 45
Quoted from Sandford1981
Same as film club but books!

On the recommendation of Poojah I’ve recently finished Richie Sadlier’s autobiography. For the most part I find footballer’s books are much of a muchness and don’t really say a lot but this was different. I’d definitely recommend this to anyone.

Great thread .

Sports book I just finished last night as it goes was :

#2sides: Rio Ferdinand - My Autobiography( released 2014). Interesting take on his life his football.

A good non football book that I last read was:

Dead Men Risen by Toby Harnden( released 2011).

Very graphic and moving look at what the military had to face when they were fighting the Taliban.

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 146
Sandford1981
October 2, 2020, 2:03pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Just finished Steve Coogan's autobiography. I loved it! Im a huge fan so probably biased but if you read it, your likely to be similarly a fan of his, so it doesn't really matter. The only thing I was disappointed with is the fact there is no second book (Yet) to dive Straight in to.

Private Message
Reply: 4 - 146
ginnywings
October 2, 2020, 4:22pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.05
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +55,972
Gold Stars: 538
I am an avid reader but have lately taken to listening to Audiobooks, whilst out walking. The books I am listening to at the moment are the Prey series by John Sandford, who is an American journalist turned author, and writes crime novels mainly. I think they are excellent, and very well written.

Any relation Sandford 1981?  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 146
Sandford1981
October 2, 2020, 4:32pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Quoted from ginnywings
I am an avid reader but have lately taken to listening to Audiobooks, whilst out walking. The books I am listening to at the moment are the Prey series by John Sandford, who is an American journalist turned author, and writes crime novels mainly. I think they are excellent, and very well written.

Any relation Sandford 1981?  

😀 no connection.
I’m also loving audible. It’s actually what I listened to easily distracted on, after I,Partridge and Nomad. I like the fact the author (in these cases) narrates them and I am part way through the Alan Partridge podcast ‘from the Oasthouse.
I like to listen whilst walking but I’m aware I look absolutely mad as I laugh my head off!

Private Message
Reply: 6 - 146
ginnywings
October 2, 2020, 5:09pm

Recovering Alcoholic
I have the RB Digital app on my phone, which is free and has lots of Audiobooks, Ebooks, newspapers and magazines, and also comics. You need to be a library member to get access.

Only fault with it for me is that they don't have all the books in an authors work, so unless you are happy to skip books in a series, it can be a bit frustrating. Though you could fill these gaps with Audible I suppose.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 146
Sandford1981
October 2, 2020, 6:06pm
Fine Wine Drinker
I started my free trial and got hooked. I messaged them after paying £7.99 for 1 month and said I’d like to cancel due to it being too costly. They then offered me it for a set period (can’t recall for sure if was 3months) at £3.99 which I took.

I will take a butchers at the RB digital app-cheers

Private Message
Reply: 8 - 146
ginnywings
October 2, 2020, 8:05pm

Recovering Alcoholic
I looked at Audible, but it's too expensive I think. I get through a lot of audiobooks.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 146
KingstonMariner
October 3, 2020, 12:54am
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.12
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Currently reading ‘Microcosm - Portrait of a Central European City’, by Norman Davies and Roger Moorhouse.

Sounds heavy, and at 500 pages it is literally. But it’s a cracking read. If you’re a history geek.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 146
Rick12
October 3, 2020, 10:16am
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from KingstonMariner
Currently reading ‘Microcosm - Portrait of a Central European City’, by Norman Davies and Roger Moorhouse.

Sounds heavy, and at 500 pages it is literally. But it’s a cracking read. If you’re a history geek.
Thanks for the recommendation .A history book that I read within the last 3 month's which I found moving was " Andrew Marrs a history of the world."

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 146
KingstonMariner
October 3, 2020, 10:37pm
Meths Drinker
Quoted from Rick12
Thanks for the recommendation .A history book that I read within the last 3 month's which I found intriguing  was " Andrew Marrs a history of the world."

‘Intriguing’ is an ambiguous term. Intriguing good or intriguing ‘wtf is this guy on?’

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 146
Rick12
October 4, 2020, 8:39am
Vodka Drinker

‘Intriguing’ is an ambiguous term. Intriguing good or intriguing ‘wtf is this guy on?’
Have a break Kingston  . I was alluding to fascinating  .

What you on more like. Try to send out a bit more positivity as opposed to negativity. People prefer that in life.

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 146
aldi_01
October 4, 2020, 10:32am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.04
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
I mean Brave New World and 1984 would be appropriate at this current time...Lord of the Flies too...

I’ve just read ‘1312 Among the ultras’. An excellent insight in to football ultras world wide and the impact and influence they have.

I’ve reread Tim Parks’ book ‘A season with Verona’ - it’s excellent and whilst there are some serious issues in the book, it gives you an insight in to italian football.

Calcio is another great book with checking out but Jonathan Foot. Some excellent detail about Italian football, right from the start...

Soccernomics is excellent too...

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 146
Rick12
October 4, 2020, 1:21pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from aldi_01
I mean Brave New World and 1984 would be appropriate at this current time...Lord of the Flies too...

I’ve just read ‘1312 Among the ultras’. An excellent insight in to football ultras world wide and the impact and influence they have.

I’ve reread Tim Parks’ book ‘A season with Verona’ - it’s excellent and whilst there are some serious issues in the book, it gives you an insight in to italian football.

Calcio is another great book with checking out but Jonathan Foot. Some excellent detail about Italian football, right from the start...

Soccernomics is excellent too...
Thanks for these Aldi. I love a football book .

Good ones that I read were Alex Ferguson managing my life. Interesting to note that he said a lot of the drinking culture in this country which has always existed in football and probably to a lesser extent now came from the mining community's where people after a long shift down the mine then went into the pub. This then carried over into football.

Another one was La Roja a journey through Spanish football by Jimmy Burns. Considering the Spanish had always been bottle jobs on the international scene and to then  have the success they did between 2008 and 2012 I found extraordinary . I for one never thought they would win the world cup as did many others in Spain. Hence I remember going over to Spain in 2010 and hearing stories of grown men crying .Like me they thought they would never see the day when their country would win the world cup. Dream come true for many Spaniards and what was nice is it temporarily gave a unity to the country including some Catalonians that wanted separatism from Spain.

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 146
Ipswin
October 4, 2020, 4:30pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from aldi_01

Agreed on Season with Verona

I also recommend:

'Forever Young' by Oliver Kay the tragic story of Adrian Doherty
'Brilliant Orange' by David Winner
'Ajax the Dutch the War' by Simon Kuper
'Fields of Glory Paths of Gold' by Kevin Connolly and Rab MacWilliam

But best of all, an absolutely fantastic book about Italian football 'The Miracle of Castel di Sangro' by Joe McGuinness about a Conference level club from a mountain village that made it to Serie B - best footy book ever

Private Message
Reply: 16 - 146
KingstonMariner
October 4, 2020, 6:34pm
Meths Drinker
Quoted from Ipswin

Agreed on Season with Verona

I also recommend:

'Forever Young' by Oliver Kay the tragic story of Adrian Doherty
'Brilliant Orange' by David Winner
'Ajax the Dutch the War' by Simon Kuper
'Fields of Glory Paths of Gold' by Kevin Connolly and Rab MacWilliam

But best of all, an absolutely fantastic book about Italian football 'The Miracle of Castel di Sangro' by Joe McGuinness about a Conference level club from a mountain village that made it to Serie B - best footy book ever

With you on the Verona book and the Miracle of Castel di Sangro, and Ajax the Dutch and the War. Have you tried Ajax, Barcelona, Cruyff?

Similar to the Ajax/War book is one I read about Dynamo Kiev. Can’t remember the bloody name now or the author.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 146
KingstonMariner
October 4, 2020, 6:36pm
Meths Drinker
Quoted from Rick12
Have a break Kingston  . I was alluding to fascinating  .

What you on more like. Try to send out a bit more positivity as opposed to negativity. People prefer that in life.

You’re a touchy little thing aren’t you! Intriguing is a neutral word. It could be either positive or negative. I didn’t say it was negative.  If you use an ambiguous term, then any responsibility for misunderstanding is down to you.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 146
Ipswin
October 4, 2020, 6:41pm
Vodka Drinker

With you on the Verona book and the Miracle of Castel di Sangro, and Ajax the Dutch and the War. Have you tried Ajax, Barcelona, Cruyff?

Similar to the Ajax/War book is one I read about Dynamo Kiev. Can’t remember the bloody name now or the author.

I read Cruyff's autobiography 'My Turn'. it was frankly awful and changed my mind about the man, great player but came across as a petulant twit

I read a book about Moscow Dynamo (I think) about their tour to UK in the 1950s but sadly a) I can't find the damn thing!  and b) I can't remember the title  

Private Message
Reply: 19 - 146
Rick12
October 4, 2020, 6:44pm
Vodka Drinker

Intriguing is a neutral word. It could be either positive or negative. I didn’t say it was negative.
Fair enough .

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 146
Rodley Mariner
October 4, 2020, 8:17pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.37
Rep Score: +63 / -17
Approval: +13,215
Gold Stars: 176
I'm not sure it is fair enough. I would say that 'intriguing' is pretty clearly a positive thing for a book to be.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 146
Rick12
October 4, 2020, 8:26pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from Rodley Mariner
I'm not sure it is fair enough. I would say that 'intriguing' is pretty clearly a positive thing for a book to be.
Ive read history books in part before  mainly military eg  Vietnam and world war 2 books . This book though Rodley was the first one that I had read that covered things from the onset of man till the present day .I found Andrew Marrs book though a fascinating look  at what had gone on. He covered all angles and I felt it was a real tour de force. Certainly opened my eyes to what had gone on in some countries all around the world since human evolution.

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 146
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
October 5, 2020, 2:20pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.35
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
I rarely read these days but I do like audiobooks. Current listen is 1918 by Peter Hart which is a decent account of the final months of WW1 which concentrates on the military action, the errors of Ludendorff and the way Foch and Haig out thought him.

Last listen was a Beatles biography - All These Years by Mark Lewisohn. There are lots of Beatles “official” biographies that are are good but this is very extensively researched using original interviews. It goes from pre-war with their family backgrounds and births, through schooldays and first meetings to early gigs Hamburg and back to meeting with Epstein and Martin and finishes with the release of Please Please Me. Long but fascinating. I kept thinking there was no way my parents would let me do that!

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 146
Abdul19
October 5, 2020, 5:53pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.42
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,449
Gold Stars: 214

Dynamo by Andy Dougan? I also enjoyed the Castel di Sangro book, although I found the author a bit irritating at times.

One of my favourite football books is 31-0 by James Montague (who also wrote the 1312 book mentioned by Aldi). Various tales from obscure places as World Cup Qualifying goes on.

I'd also recommend When Friday Comes by the same author and Behind the Curtain by Jonathan Wilson.

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 146
ginnywings
October 5, 2020, 7:22pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Just finished The Savage Shore by David Hewson. It's a crime fiction novel centering around the 'Ndrangheta, who are the Mafia of the Calabrian region of Italy.

I wasn't aware of this gang before this novel, but they are a very powerful and ruthless organisation with roots in Greece.

Well written and researched, I enjoyed it enough to have just downloaded another book by the same author, which is another crime novel set in Amsterdam
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 146
Manchester Mariner
October 5, 2020, 8:34pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.51
Rep Score: +11 / -3
Approval: +2,804
Gold Stars: 41
Recently read and enjoyed 'The Wrestling' by Simon Garfield which was a top bit of nostalgia on the rise and decline of British Wrestling. A proper easy read and good to read what became of the unlikely stars of World Of Sport Wrestling. Currently reading 'I was told to come alone' by Souad Mekhennet which is a memoir of a female Muslim journalist endangering her own life getting access to various Jihadi group leaders. A really good investigative piece of journalism which almost reads as a thriller at times.

"Lovelly stuff! not my words but the words of Shakin Stevens."
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 146
Sandford1981
October 6, 2020, 1:28pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Quoted from Manchester Mariner
Recently read and enjoyed 'The Wrestling' by Simon Garfield which was a top bit of nostalgia on the rise and decline of British Wrestling. A proper easy read and good to read what became of the unlikely stars of World Of Sport Wrestling.

Wasn’t aware of this Book-I’ll have to have a read of it as this is a big part of my childhood.
Incidentally I read a lot of wrestling autobiographies mainly from Stars of WWF/WWE.
I know it gets a hard time from some but the lifestyle of being a wrestler leads to some great story telling even for  those who are not fans of wrestling.

Private Message
Reply: 27 - 146
Ipswin
October 6, 2020, 4:22pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from ginnywings
Just finished The Savage Shore by David Hewson. It's a crime fiction novel centering around the 'Ndrangheta, who are the Mafia of the Calabrian region of Italy.

I wasn't aware of this gang before this novel, but they are a very powerful and ruthless organisation with roots in Greece.

Well written and researched, I enjoyed it enough to have just downloaded another book by the same author, which is another crime novel set in Amsterdam

All four of David Hewson's books set in Amsterdam are absolutely outstanding. They are fiction of course and therefore the police work has to be taken with a pinch of salt. I recommend them all, having spent a lot of time in Amsterdam personally (both socially and with the police) I can vouch 100% for the way he captures all aspects of the city, really puts you there IMO. The characters are superbly drawn and the plots are varied and complex. Read all four in May / June during lockdown and the hot weather - perfect!

He is also a very approachable chap We corresponded for a while as his main character drinks in what is my regular watering hole in Amsterdam and Hewson himself lived opposite. He gave me some advice about my own book

He has also published a number of novels set in Denmark but that doesn't do it for me

Be interested to know your thoughts Which of the four have you ordered by the way?

Private Message
Reply: 28 - 146
Manchester Mariner
October 6, 2020, 5:24pm

Exile
Quoted from Sandford1981

Wasn’t aware of this Book-I’ll have to have a read of it as this is a big part of my childhood.
Incidentally I read a lot of wrestling autobiographies mainly from Stars of WWF/WWE.
I know it gets a hard time from some but the lifestyle of being a wrestler leads to some great story telling even for  those who are not fans of wrestling.

I'm fascinated by the characters of wrestling and how it has ridiculously become a business worth billions. The title of Jim Smallman's book nails it "I'm sorry, I love you - A history of professional wrestling", it will always be my guilty pleasure and I was made up when a guy at work confessed to being a fan. I don't watch that much of it anymore but I do listen to a fair few wrestling podcasts, mostly about 80's/90's WWF/WCW and the crazy stories both in the ring and backstage.

Private Message
Reply: 29 - 146
aldi_01
October 6, 2020, 7:25pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Castel Di Sangro is good but the author doesn’t half get on your mammaries whereas Parks (great bloke too, met him in verona) just submerses himself one to it. Climbing the fence at Vicenza, Lecce away and all that jazz.

Someone asked, I have read the Cruyff book, excellent read and easy to get to grips with.

The book about Rayo Vallecano is excellent too, can’t remember the name of it though.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 146
Rick12
October 6, 2020, 8:01pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from aldi_01
Castel Di Sangro is good but the author doesn’t half get on your mammaries whereas Parks (great bloke too, met him in verona) just submerses himself one to it. Climbing the fence at Vicenza, Lecce away and all that jazz.

Keeping on the subject on all things Italian I remember reading Cosa Nostra a history of the Sicilian Mafia by John Dickie. Interesting that it all stemmed from the mangroves in Sicily .Likewise the Godfather films were so far stretched from the truth it was unreal .Hence the mafia in reality were cruel  sometimes  throwing people down wells and cementing them as  a form of scare tactic.

Quoted from aldi_01

The book about Rayo Vallecano is excellent too, can’t remember the name of it though.
Interesting to hear they've wrote a book about this small club. I had a friend from Madrid and he use to live close to the stadium. I remember going around there with him. Must be hard for small clubs like that when there competing with the giant that is Real Madrid. Added to that as you maybe aware there redeveloping the Santiago Bernabeu at the moment to a more modern feel. Finished plans look beautiful.

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 146
ginnywings
October 6, 2020, 10:15pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Quoted from Ipswin

All four of David Hewson's books set in Amsterdam are absolutely outstanding. They are fiction of course and therefore the police work has to be taken with a pinch of salt. I recommend them all, having spent a lot of time in Amsterdam personally (both socially and with the police) I can vouch 100% for the way he captures all aspects of the city, really puts you there IMO. The characters are superbly drawn and the plots are varied and complex. Read all four in May / June during lockdown and the hot weather - perfect!

He is also a very approachable chap We corresponded for a while as his main character drinks in what is my regular watering hole in Amsterdam and Hewson himself lived opposite. He gave me some advice about my own book

He has also published a number of novels set in Denmark but that doesn't do it for me

Be interested to know your thoughts Which of the four have you ordered by the way?

Thanks for the input.

I downloaded The Wrong Girl and started to listen to it today on my walk. Enjoying it so far, but there were many references in it to past events, so I sort of guessed it was part of a series of books.

The app I use usually lets you know if a certain book is part of a series by giving you the number it is in said series. For some reason these books are not numbered on the app and I thought they were stand alone books when I downloaded them. I checked on Google for David Hewson books and discovered that The Savage Shore is number 10 in a series of 10 featuring detective Nic Costa and are based in and around Rome.

The Wrong Girl is the second in the series of 4 that you mention, so I promptly downloaded the first in the series, which as you will know is The House of Dolls. I will curtail listening to The Wrong Girl and start The House of Dolls instead.

Will let you know what I think in due course.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 146
Sandford1981
October 7, 2020, 8:06am
Fine Wine Drinker

I'm fascinated by the characters of wrestling and how it has ridiculously become a business worth billions. The title of Jim Smallman's book nails it "I'm sorry, I love you - A history of professional wrestling", it will always be my guilty pleasure and I was made up when a guy at work confessed to being a fan. I don't watch that much of it anymore but I do listen to a fair few wrestling podcasts, mostly about 80's/90's WWF/WCW and the crazy stories both in the ring and backstage.

I can imagine that conversation at work in a darkened corner with hushed tones ‘so you like wrestling too...? Sssssh don’t say it too loud-someone will hear!’😂

I like you don’t watch it much nowadays. Up until recently I’d have it recorded and fast forward through it but Ive cancelled the series link now.
I’ve recently (during lockdown) read Jim Ross’ first book and listened to his second on audible. Both absolutely brilliant.

Private Message
Reply: 33 - 146
Ipswin
October 7, 2020, 10:28am
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from ginnywings

Thanks for the input.

I downloaded The Wrong Girl and started to listen to it today on my walk. Enjoying it so far, but there were many references in it to past events, so I sort of guessed it was part of a series of books.

The app I use usually lets you know if a certain book is part of a series by giving you the number it is in said series. For some reason these books are not numbered on the app and I thought they were stand alone books when I downloaded them. I checked on Google for David Hewson books and discovered that The Savage Shore is number 10 in a series of 10 featuring detective Nic Costa and are based in and around Rome.

The Wrong Girl is the second in the series of 4 that you mention, so I promptly downloaded the first in the series, which as you will know is The House of Dolls. I will curtail listening to The Wrong Girl and start The House of Dolls instead.

Will let you know what I think in due course.

They are both excellent novels, roughly linked as you observed. The fourth book 'Sleep Baby Sleep' is also outstanding. Book three 'Little Sister' (not connected with the others) is also very good but very dark

Enjoy !

Private Message
Reply: 34 - 146
KingstonMariner
October 14, 2020, 11:16pm
Meths Drinker
Quoted from Ipswin

I read Cruyff's autobiography 'My Turn'. it was frankly awful and changed my mind about the man, great player but came across as a petulant twit

I read a book about Moscow Dynamo (I think) about their tour to UK in the 1950s but sadly a) I can't find the damn thing!  and b) I can't remember the title  

Ah, It comes to us all.

What does?

I forget.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 146
KingstonMariner
October 14, 2020, 11:19pm
Meths Drinker
Quoted from Rodley Mariner

I think that’s an intriguing remark.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 146
KingstonMariner
October 14, 2020, 11:25pm
Meths Drinker
Quoted from Abdul19

Dynamo by Andy Dougan? I also enjoyed the Castel di Sangro book, although I found the author a bit irritating at times.

One of my favourite football books is 31-0 by James Montague (who also wrote the 1312 book mentioned by Aldi). Various tales from obscure places as World Cup Qualifying goes on.

I'd also recommend When Friday Comes by the same author and Behind the Curtain by Jonathan Wilson.

Yes, that’s the one!

Must look up the others you mentioned.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 146
Rick12
October 15, 2020, 8:39am
Vodka Drinker

I think that’s an intriguing remark.
With hindsight Kingston intriguing was the wrong word to use for a history book(now changed)  given the savages of what man has done to each other and is still doing . It was a off the cuff moment where I should of put in a better word but was due to my mind not thinking straight at that particular moment due to personal issues Iam dealing with at the moment.

We all make grammar mistakes though you included .

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 146
Sandford1981
October 15, 2020, 8:55am
Fine Wine Drinker
Quoted from Rick12
With hindsight Kingston intriguing was the wrong word to use for a history book(now changed)  given the savages of what man has done to each other and is still doing . It was a off the cuff moment where I should of put in a better word but was due to my mind not thinking straight at that particular moment due to personal issues Iam dealing with at the moment.

We all make grammar mistakes though you included .

I personally think intriguing is an entirely suitable word to describe a book that’s grabbed your interest. I think you may be overthinking it Rick. It’s all just opinions.

Private Message
Reply: 39 - 146
Rick12
October 15, 2020, 9:24am
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from Sandford1981

I personally think intriguing is an entirely suitable word to describe a book that’s grabbed your interest. I think you may be overthinking it Rick. It’s all just opinions.
I like your sentiments Sandford.

God bless.

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 146
ginnywings
October 26, 2020, 11:44pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Quoted from Ipswin

Just finished House Of Dolls and enjoyed it immensely. As you say, good characters and plotting, and i didn't figure out whodunnit well before the end as happens with many books.

Gone back and re-started The Wrong Girl and am enjoying that also. Will definitely listen to all four in the series.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 146
Ipswin
October 27, 2020, 2:40pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from ginnywings

Just finished House Of Dolls and enjoyed it immensely. As you say, good characters and plotting, and i didn't figure out whodunnit well before the end as happens with many books.

Gone back and re-started The Wrong Girl and am enjoying that also. Will definitely listen to all four in the series.

Excellent I am so pleased you liked it, I know I am a bit biased as I enjoy reading about areas of Amsterdam that I know very well, I felt I was back there but the characters and plot were also, as you found, very strong too. Enjoy the other 3 books and please let me know what you think of them too.

Private Message
Reply: 42 - 146
Ipswin
November 20, 2020, 2:46pm
Vodka Drinker
There's a great book about this but I can't find my copy or remember the title The attendances were incredible!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/54839305

Private Message
Reply: 43 - 146
Sandford1981
December 4, 2020, 9:27am
Fine Wine Drinker
Truths, Half truths and little white lies. Autobiography by the actor Nick Frost. Listened to it on audible and absolutely loved it.  Relatable, honest, touching and hilarious.

Private Message
Reply: 44 - 146
Rick12
December 4, 2020, 4:54pm
Vodka Drinker
Just finished Carl Froch's autobiography . As someone that's seen him fight a few times I rate him .Reminds me a  bit of the Rocky films in the way he sometimes fought. Just a shame for his biggest fight against Andre Ward as he even states  wasn't up for it and lost.

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 146
Sandford1981
December 4, 2020, 10:51pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Quoted from Rick12
Just finished Carl Froch's autobiography . As someone that's seen him fight a few times I rate him .Reminds me a  bit of the Rocky films in the way he sometimes fought. Just a shame for his biggest fight against Andre Ward as he even states  wasn't up for it and lost.

I loved watching froch fight. What’s the book like?

Private Message
Reply: 46 - 146
Rick12
December 5, 2020, 8:52am
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from Sandford1981

I loved watching froch fight. What’s the book like?
Interesting .He states that without his trainer Rob McCraken he would of never made it as big .McCracken when he took him on saw the potential and kept certain things but improved others. The result was a far more polished fighter.

States some other things which is relevant to football and which Ive also heard from Harry Redknapp. Has a go at the bookies/some analysts  for one . They pass judgment without never having played the sport in their lives.

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 146
Sandford1981
December 5, 2020, 10:00am
Fine Wine Drinker
Cheers. I will add it to my ever expanding wish list.

Private Message
Reply: 48 - 146
Rick12
December 5, 2020, 10:48am
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from Sandford1981
Cheers. I will add it to my ever expanding wish list.
Froch's book was ok but nothing special. If you like your boxing book that I enjoyed most to date was  four kings: Leonard, Hagler,Hearns, Duran and the last great era of boxing by George Kimball.

It was a time when the best fought the best in their primes and how boxing should be .Unlike now where sometimes the best dont fight the best in their best years .Think of the debacle with Mayweather v Pacquaio .

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 146
Sandford1981
December 14, 2020, 9:58am
Fine Wine Drinker
Simon Pegg’s ‘Nerd do well’
Really enjoyed it but not nearly long enough. Felt it only skimmed the surface really.

Private Message
Reply: 50 - 146
December 14, 2020, 3:49pm
Guest User
My Life in Red and White - Autobiography, Arsene Wenger.

My annual holiday read this year. I had high expectations but disappointing, he comes across dour and you don’t learn much more about his personality.  There is the expected references to Fergie, cheating the referee, argy bargy and some pizza throwing.

The one thing he deserves credit for is how he helped fund the build of the Emirates by letting go of the invincibles and replacing them with kids. This probably cost silverware but they lived within their means. I’m sure Grimsby could put together a credible business plan to fund a move or revamp of BP.

Second thing that stood out was the lack of training and development at Grimsby compared to a coach like Arsene. I’m sure Paul Hurst wanted to take the Club to the next level when he wanted to expand the back room set-up. Maybe this approach would help crocks like Hanson etc.
Reply: 51 - 146
Rick12
December 14, 2020, 5:35pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from 28195
My Life in Red and White - Autobiography, Arsene Wenger.

My annual holiday read this year. I had high expectations but disappointing, he comes across dour and you don’t learn much more about his personality.  There is the expected references to Fergie, cheating the referee, argy bargy and some pizza throwing.

The one thing he deserves credit for is how he helped fund the build of the Emirates by letting go of the invincibles and replacing them with kids. .
One that I liked was "managing my life:My autobiography by Alex Ferguson released in 2000".

Things that stood out for me was Ferguson hated the drinking culture in football. Interestingly he stated stemmed from the mining community which filtered into football. Likewise there was a big drinking culture when he first came to United . Got rid of some players who didn't want to change with Paul Magrath being the main culprit.

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 146
ginnywings
December 16, 2020, 1:49am

Recovering Alcoholic
Lockdown- Peter May.

The story centres around an investigation into the murder and disposal of a young girl, set amid a London that is in the middle of a severe lockdown, due to an outbreak of a deadly strain of avian flu.

The whole city is cordoned off from the rest of the country, and the world, with no-one allowed in or out. All routes into and out of the city are patrolled by the army, with shoot to kill orders, and any movement during the nightly curfew is only allowed with a government issued pass.

The pandemic is infecting 25% of the population, with a 75% mortality rate, so the bodies are piling up and can't be disposed of fast enough. There is also wide spread looting and carnage on the streets. The rich have retreated to the Isle of Dogs and have armed mercenaries keeping any undesirables out. It's a much more severe and dystopian picture than the current crisis, but bears some similarities.

The book was released this year, and on the face of it seems a bit exploitative given what we are experiencing at the moment, but here's the thing. It was researched and written in 2005, then put on the back burner by the author because publishers thought it was too far fetched and unbelievable. He explains about this in the updated preface.

Little did he know how prescient it would be, and his research for the book told him that many people have been warning about something like this for a good while now, to deaf ears.

Not his best work, but quite good all the same. I think he has improved as an author since then. 7/10
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 146
Sandford1981
January 4, 2021, 3:09pm
Fine Wine Drinker
How not to be a boy by Robert Webb

Really enjoyed this book. Grew up in Lincolnshire and I enjoyed many of the references, though not exactly sure why. Kept my attention throughout and always looked forward to going back to it and it’s genuinely funny.

Private Message
Reply: 54 - 146
Humbercod
January 20, 2021, 3:49pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.19
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: -3,492
Gold Stars: 82
Blackout by Candace Owens
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 146
Rick12
January 22, 2021, 8:07am
Vodka Drinker
The damage done by Warren Fellows.

True account of life in a Bangkok jail. Some of the stuff in it really is heartbreaking .

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 146
Sandford1981
January 22, 2021, 8:41am
Fine Wine Drinker
Quoted from Rick12
The damage done by Warren Fellows.

True account of life in a Bangkok jail. Some of the stuff in it really is heartbreaking .

Sounds good. I recently watched ‘A prayer before dawn’ about scouser Billy Moore’s experience of 2 Thai prisons after being found guilty of drug offences. Bleak but a good film nonetheless.

Private Message
Reply: 57 - 146
Rick12
January 22, 2021, 8:47am
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from Sandford1981

Sounds good. I recently watched ‘A prayer before dawn’ about scouser Billy Moore’s experience of 2 Thai prisons after being found guilty of drug offences. Bleak but a good film nonetheless.
Yes seen that film. Perhaps the best film Ive seen on prison life was Scum with Ray Winstone.

As for the book "the damage done" it  was one of  the few to date Ive read in a day. Engrossing .

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 58 - 146
Sandford1981
January 22, 2021, 2:40pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Quoted from Rick12
I still go  back to my childhood and a book series that still to this present day I cite as my favourite book(s) are the Chronicles of Narnia by CS Lewis. You may or not have read them but I love the moral story he magically weaves together. For me as a work of literary fiction there better than the Harry Potter and the  Lord of the Rings series.

My eldest has read them and loves them. I rate them as well but I’m a LOTR man myself. Though I haven’t read the potter novels. Only seen the films countless times as my eldest n youngest love them.

Incidentally a book I have read of Lewis’ also is a grief observed, about his experience of his wife dying. Sounds horrendous but it’s a very moving read, or at least I found it to be.

Private Message
Reply: 59 - 146
ska face
January 25, 2021, 3:12pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,341
Gold Stars: 824
Managed to get through more books than usual last year, but I think the best was One Minute to Midnight, by Michael Dobbs.

Genuinely fascinating account of the Cuban missile crisis, and lays bare just how close the world came to nuclear Armageddon. A gnat’s ball hair away. Terrifying really, and should be a very sobering read for anyone who thinks nukes should still exist. The account of the American pilot Chuck Maultsby, in the context of the crisis, is enough to make your palms sweat.
Private Message
Reply: 60 - 146
aldi_01
January 25, 2021, 7:18pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from ska face
Managed to get through more books than usual last year, but I think the best was One Minute to Midnight, by Michael Dobbs.

Genuinely fascinating account of the Cuban missile crisis, and lays bare just how close the world came to nuclear Armageddon. A gnat’s ball hair away. Terrifying really, and should be a very sobering read for anyone who thinks nukes should still exist. The account of the American pilot Chuck Maultsby, in the context of the crisis, is enough to make your palms sweat.

Ordered...

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 61 - 146
ska face
January 25, 2021, 7:56pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,341
Gold Stars: 824
I’ll not tel you how it ends, don’t want to ruin the surprise!
Private Message
Reply: 62 - 146
KingstonMariner
February 17, 2021, 12:36am
Meths Drinker
Just finished Chickenhawk by Robert Mason. Memoir of a helicopter pilot in Vietnam. Unputdownable.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 63 - 146
Humbercod
February 17, 2021, 7:48am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.19
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: -3,492
Gold Stars: 82
If anybody fancy’s a brilliant true story thriller then there is nothing better than the Spy and the traitor! The greatest espionage story of the Cold War, read it last year and couldn’t put it down. How this hasn’t been made into a film yet I don’t know.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 64 - 146
Sandford1981
April 9, 2021, 3:11pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Romesh Ranganathan
Straight outta Crawley
Memoirs of a distinctly average human being

If you like Romesh then I’m pretty sure you will enjoy this book, if you don’t then I would give it a miss.
I love him and I loved this book.
I’ll be moving on to his next right away.

Private Message
Reply: 65 - 146
TownSNAFU5
April 15, 2021, 5:02pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,773
Interesting re the Cuban Missile crisis.

My wife has 60 odd JFK books. Only about 50,000 to go. 😆😟

Interesting that when the Russian ships turned round,
GCHQ radio/radar centre at Scarborough first detected this.   They notified President Kennedy.

Scarborough also spotted the location of the Bismarck during WW2  when it as being hunted.  This info lead to its sinking.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 66 - 146
Sandford1981
April 19, 2021, 11:13pm
Fine Wine Drinker
As Good As It Gets
Romesh Ranganathan

Moved straight on to this after listening to his first book. As with that, I also loved this. Made painting the fence not only bearable but enjoyable.

Private Message
Reply: 67 - 146
ginnywings
April 20, 2021, 9:03am

Recovering Alcoholic
Firemaker- Peter May.

An American forensic pathologist goes to a burgeoning China at the end of the 20th century, to do some lecturing and escape from a tragedy in her life.

She gets embroiled with a detective and asked to do an autopsy on the body of a high ranking government official who has burnt to death in an apparent suicide.

Things get complicated and she ends up on the run, fleeing to the border with Mongolia. There are more strands to the story and I enjoyed it.

The narration is excellent, which is a must for me. I have given up on a few audiobooks because of the narrator's annoying voice.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 68 - 146
Sandford1981
April 20, 2021, 2:47pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Quoted from ginnywings
Firemaker- Peter May.

The narration is excellent, which is a must for me. I have given up on a few audiobooks because of the narrator's annoying voice.

This! I have returned a few books for credits for this reason alone. I also try to get books that are read by the authors or stars too, especially with comedy elements.

Private Message
Reply: 69 - 146
Sandford1981
April 26, 2021, 9:11am
Fine Wine Drinker
The life of Lee
Lee Evans Autobiography

Absolutely brilliant listen. I think it would make a great TV series in the same vein as ‘Cradle to Grave’ about Danny Bakers childhood starring Peter Kay as Baker’s Dad.

Private Message
Reply: 70 - 146
ginnywings
April 26, 2021, 8:17pm

Recovering Alcoholic
The Fourth Sacrifice- Peter May.

Second in a series of three, with the earlier mentioned Firemaker being the first.

Same protagonists on a new murder case set in China.

Enjoyed it as much, if not more than the first one. Same excellent narration and May tells a story well.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 71 - 146
Sandford1981
May 8, 2021, 11:42am
Fine Wine Drinker
Gotta get Theroux this
Louis Theroux

A really interesting and insightful listen which is aided by the narration of Louis and his various accents for different people which are surprisingly good.

Private Message
Reply: 72 - 146
Sandford1981
May 26, 2021, 1:47pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Back Story
David Mitchell

Another really enjoyable listen. Moving straight on to his next book.

Private Message
Reply: 73 - 146
Sandford1981
June 7, 2021, 11:52am
Fine Wine Drinker
My Sh*t Therapist
& other mental health stories
Michelle Thomas

Written in such a way that it balances the seriousness of mental illness with a good sense of humour and self awareness.
Lacks the depth of a text book but avoids the dryness of some self help literature.
The assistance here is in the reading, enjoyment and realisation that there are others as batsh*t as you are.

Private Message
Reply: 74 - 146
ginnywings
June 11, 2021, 9:53pm

Recovering Alcoholic
The Never Game- Jeffery Deaver.

A serial killer kidnaps his victims and gives them a chance of survival by leaving them in isolated and dangerous locations with 5 items to help them get out of their predicament. He is using a popular video game as his inspiration for the crimes.

Bit of a different story line to the usual murder/detective trope, with the main character, Colter Shaw, being someone who investigates missing person cases, roaming the country in his campervan and taking on cases that involve a finacial reward incentive. This brings him into conflict with the local police forces.

First time I've listened to a Jeffery Deaver novel and I enjoyed it a lot.

Currently trying one of his Lincoln Rhyme series novels for which he is more well known.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 75 - 146
Sandford1981
July 22, 2021, 10:45am
Fine Wine Drinker
More than just Hardcore
Terry Funk

A brilliant listen. Old school American wrestling just lends itself so perfectly to great autobiographies. What goes on in the ring is the least intriguing part of them.

The sex, drugs, alcohol, scandals, politics and road trips make for brilliant listen/read. This is instantly one of my favourites that’s up there with Foley, Jericho, Bret and Regal’s.

Private Message
Reply: 76 - 146
Sandford1981
September 6, 2021, 10:08am
Fine Wine Drinker
Thinking About It Only Makes It Worse
David Mitchell

More of the same from his previous books. A very amusing listen and I liked it a lot.

Private Message
Reply: 77 - 146
KingstonMariner
September 21, 2021, 10:03pm
Meths Drinker
Currently reading Alamein to Zem Zem by Keith Douglas, an officer in an armoured regiment. Also a poet. Very interesting. Lots of classic British officer insouciance on display.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 78 - 146
Rick12
September 25, 2021, 7:39am
Vodka Drinker
A piece of cake by Cupcake Brown

True story. A young  child in America life changes when she looses her mother. She is put in the adoption system where she is let down. What follows is beatings and other horrific episodes in this child's life.  Later on becomes involved in gangs . She got heavily into drugs and prostitution and became homeless almost dying from her drug addiction .

What turns her life around is love from a uncle and faith in God. She is now a successful lawyer and is now clean from all addictions.

Very moving book and highlights how peoples addictions and problems can be linked to horrendous episodes in one's life . Having said that there is always hope and we should never loose sight of that despite things feeling seemingly impossible sometimes .

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 79 - 146
ginnywings
September 25, 2021, 10:56am

Recovering Alcoholic
The Lost Get-Back Boogie- James Lee Burke.

The story of a drifter and guitar player, recently released from prison in the early 60's, who moves from the South to the mountains of Montana to work on a farm owned by the father of an old cell mate.

Burke is a wonderfully descriptive writer and I really like his stuff. Listening to it on an audiobook, excellently narrated and in a South Louisiana accent, brings an extra dimension to the book.

Really enjoyed it.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 80 - 146
Sandford1981
October 7, 2021, 12:32pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Me
Elton John
10/10

A brutally honest, funny, poignant, sad and beautiful story from Elton John and in the most part narrated by Taron Egerton (adds a great element) with bookends of narration from the man himself.

Honestly it’s one of the best autobiographies I’ve listened to or read. I laughed so much and I was struck by the warts and all truth and authenticity of it. The stories of his childhood were equally as fascinating as those involving stars.

I would highly recommend this to anyone. I thought I had an idea of who the man was but I really didn’t, and enjoyed finding out. I’ve always liked his music but now I am a fan of the man too.

Private Message
Reply: 81 - 146
Manchester Mariner
October 7, 2021, 12:49pm

Exile
Quoted from Sandford1981
Me
Elton John
10/10

A brutally honest, funny, poignant, sad and beautiful story from Elton John and in the most part narrated by Taron Egerton (adds a great element) with bookends of narration from the man himself.

Honestly it’s one of the best autobiographies I’ve listened to or read. I laughed so much and I was struck by the warts and all truth and authenticity of it. The stories of his childhood were equally as fascinating as those involving stars.

I would highly recommend this to anyone. I thought I had an idea of who the man was but I really didn’t, and enjoyed finding out. I’ve always liked his music but now I am a fan of the man too.

Nice one, I might give this a go. I loved the Elton John film Rocketman for similar reasons, it didn't hide away from the darker aspects of his life.

Private Message
Reply: 82 - 146
Sandford1981
October 7, 2021, 4:13pm
Fine Wine Drinker

Nice one, I might give this a go. I loved the Elton John film Rocketman for similar reasons, it didn't hide away from the darker aspects of his life.

I’m with you on Rocketman - A brilliant film!
The book delves far deeper than the film could for obvious reasons so I would imagine the book will be to your liking.

Private Message
Reply: 83 - 146
ginnywings
October 8, 2021, 8:09pm

Recovering Alcoholic
The documentary about him from many moons ago was quite honest and entertaining from what I remember.

It was called Tantrums and Tiaras. He has an addictive personality and at various times has had addictions to food, drugs, sex and cockles. Yes, cockles, the bogies of seafood.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 84 - 146
Manchester Mariner
October 8, 2021, 9:10pm

Exile
Quoted from ginnywings
The documentary about him from many moons ago was quite honest and entertaining from what I remember.

It was called Tantrums and Tiaras. He has an addictive personality and at various times has had addictions to food, drugs, sex and cockles. Yes, cockles, the bogies of seafood.

Obviously I didn't believe you about the cockles addiction so googled it:

"“For breakfast I'd have a fry-up, followed by 20 pots of cockles and then a tub of ice cream, so I'd throw it all up. I never stood still. I was always rushing, always thinking about the next thing."

Every day is a school day.

Private Message
Reply: 85 - 146
Sandford1981
October 9, 2021, 6:56am
Fine Wine Drinker
Quoted from ginnywings
The documentary about him from many moons ago was quite honest and entertaining from what I remember

He talks of the documentary and the cockles in the book. I think I will have to give it a whirl (the documentary that is , not the cockles 🤢).

Private Message
Reply: 86 - 146
KingstonMariner
October 10, 2021, 12:13pm
Meths Drinker
I’d assumed cockles was a misprint for a angle syllable word.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 87 - 146
Sandford1981
October 22, 2021, 5:05pm
Fine Wine Drinker
How Did All This Happen?
John Bishop

Autobiography of the Liverpudlian comedian and actor. Another I listened to on audible and it was narrated by the man himself. Again, I really enjoyed it from start to finish. From his humble beginnings to his sell out tours the book charts his journey with a down to earth and authentic feel to it.

I have just moved straight on and started listening to Peter Kay’s the sound of laughter.

Private Message
Reply: 88 - 146
KingstonMariner
October 22, 2021, 5:57pm
Meths Drinker
I’d assumed cockles was a misprint for a angle single syllable word.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 89 - 146
KingstonMariner
November 21, 2021, 10:12pm
Meths Drinker
Heavy subject told in an engaging way. A German artist/illustrator explores her family’s past during the Nazi period. Nice short read too.

‘Heimat’ by Nora Krug.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 90 - 146
Sandford1981
November 24, 2021, 6:22pm
Fine Wine Drinker
How to Grow Old
John Bishop

Another listen on audible although admittedly and wrongly  I chose it thinking it was picking up from where his autobiography left off. Not that’s he’s not involved in the stories of course but it’s more a series of observations on the title subject. As with his autobiography I thoroughly enjoyed it. There is something very personable and down to earth about him whilst he mixes every day life with the glitz of show business.

Private Message
Reply: 91 - 146
Sandford1981
February 23, 2022, 11:03am
Fine Wine Drinker
Dusty
Reflections of Wrestling’s American Dream
Dusty Rhodes

Another listen on Audible and yet another Wrestling autobiography. I must sound like a broken record but the formula absolutely works. The stories on the road are brilliantly entertaining and very amusing. The story straddles all the major organisations, celebrities , top wrestlers, exciting time periods and a lot of his family life is in there too. A great listen for any wrestling fan and maybe for some open minded non wrestling fans too.

Private Message
Reply: 92 - 146
Sandford1981
February 25, 2022, 1:44pm
Fine Wine Drinker
The Sound of Laughter
Peter Kay

Performed by Peter I listened to this and enjoyed every second including him veering off script multiple times to tell stories not in the written book.
He has an uncanny knack of making mundane situations both engaging and funny, a successful formula that is repeated time again without the enjoyment ever lessening for me. The only shame being that this book just scratched the surface and so I will look forward to the next chapter of his life impatiently.

Private Message
Reply: 93 - 146
Sandford1981
March 7, 2022, 1:09pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Windswept and Interesting
Billy Connolly

Billy Connolly was the first stand up comedian I can remember as my Mum and Dad really liked him. I’ve never really watched a lot of his comedy but have seen a few of his TV shows and appearances on chat shows. I always liked him and found him to be very engaging rather than out and out funny. He had charisma and an appealing attitude.
As soon as I saw he had a book out I decided to give it a listen. His tales of growing up in Glasgow as a young lad and his relationships with his Mum, Dad and Aunt are grim but are punctuated with softer moments.
I found out so much that I didn’t know about him which was an absolute treat. I can’t say too much without ruining the surprises I had when I discovered them.
Despite not previously finding him funny I have laughed a lot and so I have listened to some of his material on YouTube and found it properly amusing.
I’ve enjoyed every moment of listening to Billy perform his autobiography and would recommend it to anyone.  

Private Message
Reply: 94 - 146
KingstonMariner
March 7, 2022, 1:42pm
Meths Drinker
Quoted from Sandford1981
Windswept and Interesting
Billy Connolly

Billy Connolly was the first stand up comedian I can remember as my Mum and Dad really liked him. I’ve never really watched a lot of his comedy but have seen a few of his TV shows and appearances on chat shows. I always liked him and found him to be very engaging rather than out and out funny. He had charisma and an appealing attitude.
As soon as I saw he had a book out I decided to give it a listen. His tales of growing up in Glasgow as a young lad and his relationships with his Mum, Dad and Aunt are grim but are punctuated with softer moments.
I found out so much that I didn’t know about him which was an absolute treat. I can’t say too much without ruining the surprises I had when I discovered them.
Despite not previously finding him funny I have laughed a lot and so I have listened to some of his material on YouTube and found it properly amusing.
I’ve enjoyed every moment of listening to Billy perform his autobiography and would recommend it to anyone.  

My fave Connolly ‘joke’ is the story of Celtic fans on the lash in Rome. Inverted commas because it’s more of a rambling funny story than a classic joke.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 95 - 146
Sandford1981
March 7, 2022, 3:07pm
Fine Wine Drinker

My fave Connolly ‘joke’ is the story of Celtic fans on the lash in Rome. Inverted commas because it’s more of a rambling funny story than a classic joke.

That’s him in a nutshell isn’t it! The crucifixion yarn had me in bits. I suppose when you don’t write material, wing it and walk on stage that will happen. What a talent!

Private Message
Reply: 96 - 146
KingstonMariner
March 7, 2022, 7:51pm
Meths Drinker
Quoted from Sandford1981

That’s him in a nutshell isn’t it! The crucifixion yarn had me in bits. I suppose when you don’t write material, wing it and walk on stage that will happen. What a talent!

Yeah the comedy was originally just filler between songs at his folk gigs.

What the hell is jojoba! 😆

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 97 - 146
Sandford1981
April 27, 2022, 12:29pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Brung Up Proper
Jason Mandford

Another listen on audible that I’ve really enjoyed. Another comedian’s autobiography but there’s just something about them that appeals to me.
A good performance from the man himself on narration and he tells some great stories that had me chuckling along at regular intervals.
Covers childhood through university and the infancy of his comedy career so plenty still to come in future books no doubt.

Private Message
Reply: 98 - 146
pilgrim
May 9, 2022, 5:04pm
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.00
Approval: +2
hi everyone, I am new hear. Just thought I would say hello and tell you about some books I have read.
I enjoy most types of books. From Stephen Leather to James herbert. I enjoy some good horror right through to action and spy books. Often I will check books that others recommend, such as Harlan Colburn, someone who was selling some of his books. I got some and am enjoying them. With nothing better to do for the last two years, I decided to have a go at writing a book myself. Being very poor at English, (didn't bother too much with school) I managed to put something together but am now at the stage where I need someone to come alongside who would be prepared to edit and sort out all that other stuff out that most people take for granted. So if any of you out there is an ex English teacher or other people clever at this English stuff and would like to help me achieve my goal I would love to hear from you. (I have used online spell checkers but my grammar is pants) Thank you for reading this long post, (almost a book in itself)
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 99 - 146
DB
May 9, 2022, 5:19pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.54
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +3,879
Gold Stars: 383
Quoted from pilgrim
hi everyone, I am new hear. Just thought I would say hello and tell you about some books I have read.
I enjoy most types of books. From Stephen Leather to James herbert. I enjoy some good horror right through to action and spy books. Often I will check books that others recommend, such as Harlan Colburn, someone who was selling some of his books. I got some and am enjoying them. With nothing better to do for the last two years, I decided to have a go at writing a book myself. Being very poor at English, (didn't bother too much with school) I managed to put something together but am now at the stage where I need someone to come alongside who would be prepared to edit and sort out all that other stuff out that most people take for granted. So if any of you out there is an ex English teacher or other people clever at this English stuff and would like to help me achieve my goal I would love to hear from you. (I have used online spell checkers but my grammar is pants) Thank you for reading this long post, (almost a book in itself)

Best of luck

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 100 - 146
Vance Warner
May 21, 2022, 7:20am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +18 / -5
Approval: +2,772
Gold Stars: 99
Quoted from Sandford1981
Brung Up Proper
Jason Mandford

Another listen on audible that I’ve really enjoyed. Another comedian’s autobiography but there’s just something about them that appeals to me.
A good performance from the man himself on narration and he tells some great stories that had me chuckling along at regular intervals.
Covers childhood through university and the infancy of his comedy career so plenty still to come in future books no doubt.

My favourite Jason Manford story is about when his dad used to take him and his brothers to Man City. His dad said to them if get a bit passionate during the football and swear a bit that’s ok I won’t tell your mum. They were all quiet during the first half until at half time his brother turned to his dad and said ‘can I have fuck1ng chocolate bar now.’
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 101 - 146
Sandford1981
May 22, 2022, 7:39am
Fine Wine Drinker
Quoted from Vance Warner

My favourite Jason Manford story is about when his dad used to take him and his brothers to Man City. His dad said to them if get a bit passionate during the football and swear a bit that’s ok I won’t tell your mum. They were all quiet during the first half until at half time his brother turned to his dad and said ‘can I have fuck1ng chocolate bar now.’

Brilliant!

He describes in the book how he spent a lot of time with his Dad as a kid. His old man was labour and the unions through and through.
As such he would be taken on Rallies and marches in which he’d hear and see some things way beyond his years. It was customary for them to flick the Vs to the big flash and sleek black mayoral car as it went past when they were out and about, as this was a symbol of excess and power. This happened a lot when he was out on these organised trips and he loved him, his dad and his mates ‘sticking it to the man!’.
He tells the story that it was meant to be something that just happened with his Dad. However, one day he was out and about walking with his mum and he saw the mayor in his car.
Almost on instinct he stood at the kerbside and happily stuck his fingers up as not one but several mayoral cars go by. The occupants looking dumbfounded as this young kid gave them 2 fingers.
Suddenly his mum gives him an almighty clout round the back of his head and gives him a dressing down of epic proportions in the street.
The cars were not the mayor at all but a funeral procession on the way to bury a loved one!

Private Message
Reply: 102 - 146
Sandford1981
June 10, 2022, 7:54am
Fine Wine Drinker
Little me
Matt Lucas

Firstly I was never a big fan of Little Britain so on the surface this book wasn’t an obvious choice. I did however, love shooting stars but his work on the bake off peaked my interest in him.
We watch bake off with the kids and I laugh a lot at him and fielding. He comes across as a warm and thoroughly decent bloke.

This comes across in his book and his performance of it as you might expect is brilliant. He seems very humble and speaks with candour across many subjects including the death of the love of his life which was particularly touching.

I’ve listened to many of these types of books but when he signed off at the end I felt a tinge of sadness. Weird! It was almost as if a mate had be yarning to me for 10 hours and it was time for them to go. I suppose that’s in his performance. Excellent all round!

Private Message
Reply: 103 - 146
Sandford1981
July 2, 2022, 12:07pm
Fine Wine Drinker
And Away
Bob Mortimer

Another audible listen of a British comedy legend and sure I need to listen to something different sooner rather than later.

The book starts in 2015 but flits back and forth from adulthood to childhood. This is not done in a poncy or jarring way and flows really well.

The thing that struck me from very early on was Bobs humility and down to earth nature. Instantly he had me hooked and I found myself admiring his effortless likeability.

Before this book my biggest connection with him was Shooting Stars and various appearances on panel shows. I will definitely be visiting his early material and shows such as house of fools and also gone fishing with Paul Whitehouse.

The best bits of the book are the tales he shares from school with his mates and some had me belly laughing. Look out for a rib he tells of when him and Mark Lemar bumped into Brad Pitt. Small in the context of his life and book but amused me greatly.

I can’t recommend this book enough and I think it’s up there with favourite to date.

Private Message
Reply: 104 - 146
ginnywings
July 2, 2022, 8:41pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Another Kind Of Eden.
James Lee Burke.

Big fan of Burke and his tales set mainly in the South and West of America and mostly in the past, which is understandable as he's in his 80's now and has been publishing books since the early 60's.

Most of his books are on a theme of the underclass or underdog fighting against power, wealth and evil doers. A good proportion of them centre around the character Robicheaux, who is a sometime detective, sometime private eye, who likes to fight for the underdog.

Another Kind Of Eden however, has a central character named Aaron Holland Brussard, an itinerant drifter and farm hand who rides the open boxcars on trains from place to place and is also an aspiring writer. He gets involved in a dispute which leads down some dark and mythical avenues, which I found a little jarring myself compared to his usual tales, but it was very enjoyable all the same.

I love his writing style when read from the page, but a lot of his books have been narrated by the actor Will Patton, who absolutely brings them to life with his Southern drawl and characterization. Good narration can make an average book enjoyable and bad narration can make a good book stilted and boring. Patton is a fantastic narrator of Burke and I always enjoy them immensely.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 105 - 146
Manchester Mariner
July 3, 2022, 7:09pm

Exile
Quoted from Sandford1981
And Away
Bob Mortimer

Another audible listen of a British comedy legend and sure I need to listen to something different sooner rather than later.

The book starts in 2015 but flits back and forth from adulthood to childhood. This is not done in a poncy or jarring way and flows really well.

The thing that struck me from very early on was Bobs humility and down to earth nature. Instantly he had me hooked and I found myself admiring his effortless likeability.

Before this book my biggest connection with him was Shooting Stars and various appearances on panel shows. I will definitely be visiting his early material and shows such as house of fools and also gone fishing with Paul Whitehouse.

The best bits of the book are the tales he shares from school with his mates and some had me belly laughing. Look out for a rib he tells of when him and Mark Lemar bumped into Brad Pitt. Small in the context of his life and book but amused me greatly.

I can’t recommend this book enough and I think it’s up there with favourite to date.

I know it gets banded around a lot but Bob Mortimer is a genuine national treasure. Gone Fishing is absolute sublime telly. Just Bob talking about his day to day life has me in stitches. If you have spotify or any of the podcast providers I'd wholeheartedly recommend typing his name in and just listen to them all. His appearance on 'Off Menu' is brilliant. Also there's an ongoing YouTube video of his appearances on Would I Lie To You which is top, despite the sheer bonkersness of his stories they're pretty much always the truth.

Private Message
Reply: 106 - 146
Sandford1981
July 3, 2022, 7:33pm
Fine Wine Drinker

I know it gets banded around a lot but Bob Mortimer is a genuine national treasure. Gone Fishing is absolute sublime telly. Just Bob talking about his day to day life has me in stitches. If you have spotify or any of the podcast providers I'd wholeheartedly recommend typing his name in and just listen to them all. His appearance on 'Off Menu' is brilliant. Also there's an ongoing YouTube video of his appearances on Would I Lie To You which is top, despite the sheer bonkersness of his stories they're pretty much always the truth.

Nice one-Cheers! I do have Spotify so I will get on those recommendations this week. I’ve seen a few of his appearances on WILTY and they’re always the highlight. Incidentally the best I’ve seen on there was the Jason Watkins one.

Private Message
Reply: 107 - 146
Rick12
July 7, 2022, 8:29pm
Vodka Drinker
Always liked Ant Middleton due to the way he came across on the TV program SAS who dares wins and thought I give him a listen on audible. Incidentally love this app eg like the way it's sometimes read by the author. The sleep function is also a bonus.

First man in by Ant Middleton. Read by Ant Middleton.

Heard this on audible and really liked it. Interesting how when he first joined the military he states was a young,nice ,naive 17 year old but after time in the paratroopers became moulded by the macho,laddish and often thuggish way of things eg starting on people in the pub as a pack, heavy drinking with some crazy initiation eg diving on glass naked on a pub floor , peeing on buses etc etc  . In contrast he spent time with personal of the French foreign legion where  he states were much different and way more civilized and nice. Likewise other units in the British military were more professional as well eg Royal  Marines which he later  joined and  was based on building you up according to your strengths and not knowing your place regardless of physical ability as it was in the paras.

I also note he was close to finishing his training as a met police officer (respect)but got kicked out due to drink driving in part due to a lot of history and pent up anger he was dealing with in his past .

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 108 - 146
OddShapedBalls
July 8, 2022, 3:16pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +5 / -1
Approval: +1,182
Gold Stars: 39
I'll leap in with a few recent favourites across the genres:

The Longest Kill by Craig Harrison - interesting and brutally honest account of a modern day sniper, his feats on the battlefield and also his later issues off it.

The Byrne Identity by Lee Byrne - As a Llanelli Scarlets fan I found it fascinating, if you're not into rugby it may not be for you however it certainly doesn't follow the bland, copy/paste feeling I get from most sports autobiographies and he names names, talks about off-field incidents with detail, the wheeling and dealing of clubs and his gambling addiction with the honesty of a man who isn't trying to protect his punditry job......here's looking at you Sam Warburton and Brian O'Driscoll.

Witchfinders by Malcolm Gaskill - quite an involved one this, a history book all about Hopkins and Stearne's witch hunts in the english civil war.  I normally read quite fast and this was slow going, but thoroughly interesting.

Have also just ordered the 'miracle of castel di sangro' - thanks for the recommnedation!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 109 - 146
GrimRob
July 8, 2022, 9:00pm

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,343
Gold Stars: 113

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 110 - 146
Limerick Mariner
July 8, 2022, 9:20pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.55
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +5,554
Gold Stars: 133
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 111 - 146
GrimRob
July 8, 2022, 9:58pm

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,343
Gold Stars: 113
Quoted from Limerick Mariner

Struggling to fathom how Birdsong is not in the Best Ever List...

Probably because it's British, literary fiction, and not particularly recent. Good book though! I've read about half the top 100 and there are quite a few that don't deserve to be on there (IMHO!). The Hunger Games is the best book ever? I mean it's a good book, a page-turner, and easy to read, but I wouldn't class it as truly great (not least because the second and third books in the series drop considerably in quality, which tainted my memory of the first).

Mind you, you could do a lot worse than read the books on the first page.

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 112 - 146
ginnywings
July 9, 2022, 3:06am

Recovering Alcoholic
What a strange list when No1 is The Hunger Games, No 2 is Harry Potter and A Tale of Two Cities by Dickens is No 55.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 113 - 146
Rick12
July 9, 2022, 9:59am
Vodka Drinker
Macca:4 years with Real Madrid by Steve McManaman .

Interesting read on a quality player on his time at Real Madrid. He really loved  it there and never wanted to leave.Was a fans favourite as well and many fans didn't want him to leave as well.

I was lucky as well to see him play when he was at Real Madrid as a young boy whilst on holiday there. Came on second half and looked one of the better players. Still remember that game and Roberto Carlos. Best player on the park for me. Quick and skilful. Quality.

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 114 - 146
mariner91
July 9, 2022, 10:29am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,249
Gold Stars: 253
Constant rabbit by Jasper Fforde is very good, just finished. Very strange and dystopian, almost like a very strange 1984.

Looking forward to a brighter future now Fenty has gone.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 115 - 146
diehardmariner
August 23, 2022, 3:42pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.97
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,093
Gold Stars: 520
I'm a very frequent reader so I'll try and update when I remember on here, always happy to share literary joys and receive recommendations too.

Just finished Ben Elton's Identity Crisis, which is a satirical look at the overly 'woke' agenda of the modern age and the desire of people to be on board with.  Whilst also very, very unsubtle hints at the dark side of politics at play in our country.

Very easy to read and as what you'd expect from him, full of establishment digs left, right and centre.  Dark humour throughout but with a moral compass guiding it at the core.  

Out of 10, I'd say an 8.  
Private Message
Reply: 116 - 146
Sandford1981
October 13, 2022, 11:24am
Fine Wine Drinker
Cross Rhodes:Goldust out of the Darkness
Dustin Rhodes

The autobiography of Dustin Rhodes whose Dad was the famous Dusty Rhodes and his brother is Cody.
I listened to his Dad’s on audible which was brilliant but this doesn’t quite hit those heights (similar to their careers). I did enjoy it in the same way I have enjoyed most of the countless wrestling autobiographies I’ve digested but it left me wanting more.
I’m guessing most of the actual work was his personally and lacked a ghost writer. The end result is that the book comes across as a summary of a more detailed book that doesn’t exist but could have and should have. Good but not great which is a shame as I’d have happily read more.

Private Message
Reply: 117 - 146
ginnywings
October 27, 2022, 11:18am

Recovering Alcoholic
The Miseducation of Evie Epworth- Matson Taylor.

Bit of a departure from the books I normally read, well listen to as I mainly do nowadays.

It involves 16-year-old Evie and is set in 1962 in East Yorkshire. Her Dad is an ex-footballer who was wounded in the war and is now a farmer with a young woman in tow who is set to become Evie's stepmother, much to her disgust, and her attempts to derail said union.

It has many references to sayings, people and places that struck a chord with me and is very funny. I enjoyed it a lot.

The narrator is very good and has an East Yorkshire accent, not quite Hully Gully, but leaning that way.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 118 - 146
Rick12
October 29, 2022, 11:44am
Vodka Drinker
Roald Dahl -Boy & Going Solo

Enjoyed these two books by the famous children author

Boy
Talks about his childhood experiences eg escapades with his friends in a sweet shop in primary school and boarding school  life in Weston super- Mare.

Going Solo
Talks about his experiences in adulthood eg going to Africa on the SS Montola .Amongst other things reminisces about experiences in Tanzania and the wildlife he encounters.  When world war 2 breaks out works as a pilot in the RAF.

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 119 - 146
Rick12
November 9, 2022, 10:42am
Vodka Drinker
Evolution the greatest show on earth by Richard Dawkins.

This book was a big eye opener for me and helped explain many of the things I have been pondering for a good while now eg why there is suffering on this earth eg some children die of cancer aged 5 whereas others are healthy .

It's all due to chance and nature just interested in survival eg no interest in suffering which eventually gave rise to humans  according to Dawkins .

Brilliant book .

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 120 - 146
BobbyCummingsTackle
November 9, 2022, 11:01am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.52
Rep Score: +8 / -4
Location: Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right, stuck in the middle...
Approval: +6,988
Gold Stars: 285
Quoted from Rick12

This book was a big eye opener for me and helped explain many of the things I have been pondering for a good while now eg why there is suffering on this earth eg some children die of cancer aged 5 whereas others are healthy .

It's all due to chance and nature just interested in survival eg no interest in suffering which eventually gave rise to humans  according to Dawkins .

Brilliant book .

If you enjoyed this check out Malcolm Gladwell's work. In a similar vein but not with the atheist/anti religion agenda. Start with 'Outliers'.

Miss Scunthorpe. Not a beauty pageant, just sound advice.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 121 - 146
Rick12
November 9, 2022, 11:03am
Vodka Drinker

If you enjoyed this check out Malcolm Gladwell's work. In a similar vein but not with the atheist/anti religion agenda. Start with 'Outliers'.

Will have a look Bobby . Thanks.

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 122 - 146
BobbyCummingsTackle
November 9, 2022, 11:09am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.52
Rep Score: +8 / -4
Location: Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right, stuck in the middle...
Approval: +6,988
Gold Stars: 285
Managed Care by Joe Barrett

Not very challenging and not high literature but funny and quirky. An adult man lives in an old folks home (managed care facility in the US), I won't ruin the reveal by telling you why. He's a bit of a dreamer and a fantasist and this gets him into some funny situations/trouble when a local kid is sent to read to him.

I was surprised how much I enjoyed it.

Miss Scunthorpe. Not a beauty pageant, just sound advice.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 123 - 146
ginnywings
November 10, 2022, 8:26pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Quoted from Rick12

Brilliant book .

Bit baffled by this.

Surely as a man of religion, you don't believe in evolution, especially if those thoughts are coming from one of the most well-known atheists in the country.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 124 - 146
Rick12
November 10, 2022, 9:13pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from ginnywings

Bit baffled by this.

Surely as a man of religion, you don't believe in evolution, especially if those thoughts are coming from one of the most well-known atheists in the country.
Firstly Ginny 100% I agree with evolution. As for Dawkins I have read a few of his books and to clarify even he is not a 100% atheist.

Without getting too deep  for me  I think the start of everything can be considered a divine act hence what caused  the big bang. From that the ever expanding universe  gave rise to the earth as we know it today and the evolutionary rules that gave rise to humans . I actually agree with another of Richard Dawkins book titles eg  the blind watchmaker.

As noted though Iam a omnist eg someone that thinks all main religions have truths to them but none have it spot on.

I don't have all the answers either 😉.

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 125 - 146
ginnywings
November 10, 2022, 9:36pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Quoted from Rick12
Firstly Ginny 100% I agree with evolution. As for Dawkins I have read a few of his books and to clarify even he is not a 100% atheist.

Without getting too deep  for me  I think the start of everything can be considered a divine act hence what caused  the big bang. From that the ever expanding universe  gave rise to the earth as we know it today and the evolutionary rules that gave rise to humans . I actually agree with another of Richard Dawkins book titles eg  the blind watchmaker.

As noted though Iam a omnist eg someone that thinks all main religions have truths to them but none have it spot on.

I don't have all the answers either 😉.

Fair enough.

Thank you for the reply.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 126 - 146
Sandford1981
March 10, 2023, 3:21pm
Fine Wine Drinker
The best in the world (at what I have no idea)
Chris Jericho
8/10

I thoroughly enjoyed this as I knew I would really. I loved reading his first 2 books and this was in a similar vein. Chris is a great storyteller and his charisma spills out on to the page effortlessly. It’s the first physical book I’ve read in a while having gone through a long run of listening to them on audible and it made a nice change to be fair.
This book has good humour throughout and has a little bit for everyone and although mostly oriented  around pro wrestling, there is plenty of material from the wider showbiz world and from his music with his band Fozzy too. I don’t care for the music but his passion and the circles he moves in means there’s stories about people well known to that scene that I too liked regardless.

Private Message
Reply: 127 - 146
OddShapedBalls
March 13, 2023, 3:20pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +5 / -1
Approval: +1,182
Gold Stars: 39
'Spy Handler' - Memoir of a KGB Officer, Victor Cherkashin
8.5/10

Thoroughly interesting read about the real life of a man who spent 40 years in the KGB as a counter-intelligence officer, eventually being involved in some of the biggest american defections of the cold war, followed by some thoughts on post-soviet russia in the 90's.  Definitely worth a read if you have any interest in spies or recent history, or fancy a look into a KGB officers mind.  Completely dispels the notions people have of James Bond-esque espionage existing yet the operations are just as exciting in other ways. i was born in the 80's so lots of the book covers before my time, some of you may get more from it having lived through certain things he talks about.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 128 - 146
gytone
March 17, 2023, 8:59am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +6 / -2
Approval: +1,022
Gold Stars: 7
Just finished SAS Rogue hereos absolutely fantastic book, what they went through in world war 2 is astonishing, tough men and real hereos 9/10.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 129 - 146
Rick12
March 17, 2023, 9:50am
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from gytone
Just finished SAS Rogue hereos absolutely fantastic book, what they went through in world war 2 is astonishing, tough men and real hereos 9/10.

Read this last year. Yes enjoyed that. On the subject of all things military I enjoyed first man in by Ant Middleton. Liked this a lot . Talks about his time in the paras and how real life experiences changed him from a naive 17 old to a more  hardened individual when he left at 25. Said the French legionnaires were a lot more team based than the paras and he enjoyed his time there far more amongst other things.

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 130 - 146
Sandford1981
April 8, 2023, 4:25pm
Fine Wine Drinker
It’s Not All Black and White
John McDermott

I don't know why it’s taken me so long to read Macca’s book but I’ve just binged it in less than a day. Legend is an embarrassingly overused description for too many sports stars nowadays but, unequivocally John McDermott IS a bona fide legend.
Along with Paul Futcher he is my favourite ever Town player and I looked up to him being a young right back myself. My only gripe is that the book should have been longer!
He comes across as a top bloke and I loved the insight into a time when we were truly spoilt. I loved hearing tales of the drinking and nights out and particularly the ones about Gallimore.
I cannot quite believe how shabbily he was treat by him who shall not be named-what a tool!

Private Message
Reply: 131 - 146
Sandford1981
July 12, 2023, 1:48pm
Fine Wine Drinker
And the sun shines now
Adrian Tempany

I don’t recall which thread it was but Ska recommended this book to someone else and I decided to take the plunge.
I’m really glad I did because it’s a remarkable book with great personal insight from the author.
It’s framework centres around how Hillsborough and the Premier League changed Britain. It’s worth noting that this is not a book about Hillsborough, a point the Tempany is keen to make. However, I have read a lot of books on the subject but I was surprised by how touched I was by his first hand accounts of the events and aftermath.
His passion for that subject seeps in to the rest of the book and I got through it like the proverbial ‘page turner’.
I would back Ska’s judgment for sure and recommend this to anyone football fan or not.

Private Message
Reply: 132 - 146
ginnywings
August 18, 2023, 6:20pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Just finished listening to the first 3 in the Rivers of London series by Ben Aaronovitch, about a Met police constable named Peter Grant who finds himself being drafted into a special unit containing himself and a wizard, to whom he becomes apprentice, and they work on cases involving ghosts, goblins, witches, wizards and all manner of magical beings that exist on the fringes and in the underbelly of modern day London.

Really enjoying them. Sharp, witty and full of info on present day and past London people and places.

There are all manner of weird and wonderful characters, from river kings and queens to nefarious murderers using magic spells for good and for evil.

Recommended if you like that sort of Terry Pratchett type stuff, but set in a real, modern day city instead of some made up universe.

It helps that the narrator is excellent and easily slips from one character to the next with an impressive array of voices and accents.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 133 - 146
Maringer
August 18, 2023, 10:02pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.86
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,140
Gold Stars: 180
Really good books, those, ginny. Keep on going with them.

If you've not read the Laundry books by Charles Stross, I'd highly recommend, as they are similar-ish to Aaronovich, though a little darker in tone (still humorous).
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 134 - 146
ginnywings
August 18, 2023, 10:51pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Quoted from Maringer
Really good books, those, ginny. Keep on going with them.

If you've not read the Laundry books by Charles Stross, I'd highly recommend, as they are similar-ish to Aaronovich, though a little darker in tone (still humorous).

Thanks for the recommendation. Will look out for those.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 135 - 146
Maringer
August 18, 2023, 11:08pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.86
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,140
Gold Stars: 180
First book in the series is called, 'The Atrocity Archives'. Stross is one of my favourite authors. He's got an interesting way of looking at the world, for a guy from Leeds!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 136 - 146
Vance Warner
August 19, 2023, 9:58pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +18 / -5
Approval: +2,772
Gold Stars: 99
Favourite book is Shantaram by Gregory David Roberts. Favourite authors are Stephen King and Irvine Welsh. Love the Trainspotting series and the way characters reappear I. Various books. If pushed I would say Glue is my favourite.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 137 - 146
PrestwichMariner
October 6, 2023, 1:34pm
Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +281
Gold Stars: 5
The Constant Rabbit by Jasper Fforde - its got everything in it - immigration, minorities, racism, liberalism and its bloody funny too! One of the best books I've read n years and I read a lot.

Wearing badges is not enough in days like these!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 138 - 146
Sandford1981
October 18, 2023, 9:51am
Fine Wine Drinker
Becoming Johnny Vegas
By Michael Pennington

I was never a big fan of Johnny Vegas especially, although he was fascinating but always liked Pennington’s TV work especially Ideal.
I thought his brute honesty would lend itself to a good listen and this proved to be the case. Narrated by the author his down to earth approach and story telling elevated the monotonous every day into tales worth listening to. The Doctor Death (not a spoiler) element really resonated with me deeply and he’s full of unexpected surprises throughout. I would definitely recommend this even if you would not yourself down as a fan of the man.

Private Message
Reply: 139 - 146
Les Brechin
December 12, 2023, 12:27pm

Posts Per Day: 4.19
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,645
Gold Stars: 168
Quoted from PrestwichMariner
The Constant Rabbit by Jasper Fforde - its got everything in it - immigration, minorities, racism, liberalism and its bloody funny too! One of the best books I've read n years and I read a lot.

Just bought this on your recommendation, will start reading it tomorrow.

OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 140 - 146
Sandford1981
December 13, 2023, 11:29am
Fine Wine Drinker
Has anyone read books by Mick Herron?
I love the programme Slow Horses and I don’t read fiction but thought it may be a good place to start.

Private Message
Reply: 141 - 146
Limerick Mariner
December 13, 2023, 1:37pm
Whiskey Drinker
https://www.whybritainrocked.co.uk Absolutely shameless plug of my sister's book - if anyone is deep into music and the history and roots and of British popular music
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 142 - 146
mariner91
December 14, 2023, 10:08am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,249
Gold Stars: 253
Quoted from PrestwichMariner

Really good book. Read it this last year, very funny!

Looking forward to a brighter future now Fenty has gone.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 143 - 146
ginnywings
December 14, 2023, 4:53pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Quoted from Limerick Mariner
https://www.whybritainrocked.co.uk Absolutely shameless plug of my sister's book - if anyone is deep into music and the history and roots and of British popular music

So that would make you the brother in law of Feargal Sharkey then. Big fan of Feargal, his music and politics.

Looks to be the sort of book I would enjoy.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 144 - 146
Limerick Mariner
December 14, 2023, 11:14pm
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from ginnywings

So that would make you the brother in law of Feargal Sharkey then. Big fan of Feargal, his music and politics.

Looks to be the sort of book I would enjoy.

Indeed Feargal is the bro-in-law.

The book is a real deep dive into music history - it’s been picked up by academia. I do get an early mention, when my sister picked up and played my copy of Unknown Pleasures and wondered what the hell it was - probably weren’t too many Joy Division fans in rural Lincolnshire at that point.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 145 - 146
ginnywings
December 21, 2023, 10:15pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Psychopaths Anonymous- Will Carver.

Think AA with serial killers, or the 12 steps with sociopaths.

Well written, dark and graphic, with plenty of black humour, and I loved it.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 146 - 146
15 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Non Football › Book Club

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.