15 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 Next All Recommend Thread
ginnywings
September 25, 2021, 10:56am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,132
Gold Stars: 548
The Lost Get-Back Boogie- James Lee Burke.

The story of a drifter and guitar player, recently released from prison in the early 60's, who moves from the South to the mountains of Montana to work on a farm owned by the father of an old cell mate.

Burke is a wonderfully descriptive writer and I really like his stuff. Listening to it on an audiobook, excellently narrated and in a South Louisiana accent, brings an extra dimension to the book.

Really enjoyed it.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 80 - 146
Sandford1981
October 7, 2021, 12:32pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +11 / 0
Approval: +2,085
Gold Stars: 59
Me
Elton John
10/10

A brutally honest, funny, poignant, sad and beautiful story from Elton John and in the most part narrated by Taron Egerton (adds a great element) with bookends of narration from the man himself.

Honestly it’s one of the best autobiographies I’ve listened to or read. I laughed so much and I was struck by the warts and all truth and authenticity of it. The stories of his childhood were equally as fascinating as those involving stars.

I would highly recommend this to anyone. I thought I had an idea of who the man was but I really didn’t, and enjoyed finding out. I’ve always liked his music but now I am a fan of the man too.

“I know writers who use subtext and they’re all cowards.” –Garth Marenghi
Private Message
Reply: 81 - 146
Manchester Mariner
October 7, 2021, 12:49pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.51
Rep Score: +11 / -3
Approval: +2,817
Gold Stars: 41
Quoted from Sandford1981
Me
Elton John
10/10

A brutally honest, funny, poignant, sad and beautiful story from Elton John and in the most part narrated by Taron Egerton (adds a great element) with bookends of narration from the man himself.

Honestly it’s one of the best autobiographies I’ve listened to or read. I laughed so much and I was struck by the warts and all truth and authenticity of it. The stories of his childhood were equally as fascinating as those involving stars.

I would highly recommend this to anyone. I thought I had an idea of who the man was but I really didn’t, and enjoyed finding out. I’ve always liked his music but now I am a fan of the man too.

Nice one, I might give this a go. I loved the Elton John film Rocketman for similar reasons, it didn't hide away from the darker aspects of his life.

"Lovelly stuff! not my words but the words of Shakin Stevens."
Private Message
Reply: 82 - 146
Sandford1981
October 7, 2021, 4:13pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Quoted from Manchester Mariner

Nice one, I might give this a go. I loved the Elton John film Rocketman for similar reasons, it didn't hide away from the darker aspects of his life.

I’m with you on Rocketman - A brilliant film!
The book delves far deeper than the film could for obvious reasons so I would imagine the book will be to your liking.

Private Message
Reply: 83 - 146
ginnywings
October 8, 2021, 8:09pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,132
Gold Stars: 548
The documentary about him from many moons ago was quite honest and entertaining from what I remember.

It was called Tantrums and Tiaras. He has an addictive personality and at various times has had addictions to food, drugs, sex and cockles. Yes, cockles, the bogies of seafood.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 84 - 146
Manchester Mariner
October 8, 2021, 9:10pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.51
Rep Score: +11 / -3
Approval: +2,817
Gold Stars: 41
Quoted from ginnywings
The documentary about him from many moons ago was quite honest and entertaining from what I remember.

It was called Tantrums and Tiaras. He has an addictive personality and at various times has had addictions to food, drugs, sex and cockles. Yes, cockles, the bogies of seafood.

Obviously I didn't believe you about the cockles addiction so googled it:

"“For breakfast I'd have a fry-up, followed by 20 pots of cockles and then a tub of ice cream, so I'd throw it all up. I never stood still. I was always rushing, always thinking about the next thing."

Every day is a school day.

"Lovelly stuff! not my words but the words of Shakin Stevens."
Private Message
Reply: 85 - 146
Sandford1981
October 9, 2021, 6:56am
Fine Wine Drinker
Quoted from ginnywings
The documentary about him from many moons ago was quite honest and entertaining from what I remember

He talks of the documentary and the cockles in the book. I think I will have to give it a whirl (the documentary that is , not the cockles 🤢).

Private Message
Reply: 86 - 146
KingstonMariner
October 10, 2021, 12:13pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.07
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
I’d assumed cockles was a misprint for a angle syllable word.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 87 - 146
Sandford1981
October 22, 2021, 5:05pm
Fine Wine Drinker
How Did All This Happen?
John Bishop

Autobiography of the Liverpudlian comedian and actor. Another I listened to on audible and it was narrated by the man himself. Again, I really enjoyed it from start to finish. From his humble beginnings to his sell out tours the book charts his journey with a down to earth and authentic feel to it.

I have just moved straight on and started listening to Peter Kay’s the sound of laughter.

Private Message
Reply: 88 - 146
KingstonMariner
October 22, 2021, 5:57pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.07
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from KingstonMariner
I’d assumed cockles was a misprint for a angle single syllable word.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 89 - 146
15 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Non Football › Book Club

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.