Rick12
October 15, 2020, 9:24am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.15
Rep Score: +42 / -3
Approval: +255
Gold Stars: 45
Quoted from Sandford1981

I personally think intriguing is an entirely suitable word to describe a book that’s grabbed your interest. I think you may be overthinking it Rick. It’s all just opinions.
I like your sentiments Sandford.

God bless.

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 146
ginnywings
October 26, 2020, 11:44pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,101
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from Ipswin

All four of David Hewson's books set in Amsterdam are absolutely outstanding. They are fiction of course and therefore the police work has to be taken with a pinch of salt. I recommend them all, having spent a lot of time in Amsterdam personally (both socially and with the police) I can vouch 100% for the way he captures all aspects of the city, really puts you there IMO. The characters are superbly drawn and the plots are varied and complex. Read all four in May / June during lockdown and the hot weather - perfect!

He is also a very approachable chap We corresponded for a while as his main character drinks in what is my regular watering hole in Amsterdam and Hewson himself lived opposite. He gave me some advice about my own book

He has also published a number of novels set in Denmark but that doesn't do it for me

Be interested to know your thoughts Which of the four have you ordered by the way?

Just finished House Of Dolls and enjoyed it immensely. As you say, good characters and plotting, and i didn't figure out whodunnit well before the end as happens with many books.

Gone back and re-started The Wrong Girl and am enjoying that also. Will definitely listen to all four in the series.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 146
Ipswin
October 27, 2020, 2:40pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +44 / -47
Approval: -3,552
Gold Stars: 89
Quoted from ginnywings

Just finished House Of Dolls and enjoyed it immensely. As you say, good characters and plotting, and i didn't figure out whodunnit well before the end as happens with many books.

Gone back and re-started The Wrong Girl and am enjoying that also. Will definitely listen to all four in the series.

Excellent I am so pleased you liked it, I know I am a bit biased as I enjoy reading about areas of Amsterdam that I know very well, I felt I was back there but the characters and plot were also, as you found, very strong too. Enjoy the other 3 books and please let me know what you think of them too.

On bended knee is no way to be free - Peter R de Vries

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse.....=public_profile_post
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 146
Ipswin
November 20, 2020, 2:46pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +44 / -47
Approval: -3,552
Gold Stars: 89
There's a great book about this but I can't find my copy or remember the title The attendances were incredible!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/54839305

On bended knee is no way to be free - Peter R de Vries

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse.....=public_profile_post
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 146
Sandford1981
December 4, 2020, 9:27am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +11 / 0
Approval: +2,085
Gold Stars: 59
Truths, Half truths and little white lies. Autobiography by the actor Nick Frost. Listened to it on audible and absolutely loved it.  Relatable, honest, touching and hilarious.

“I know writers who use subtext and they’re all cowards.” –Garth Marenghi
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 146
Rick12
December 4, 2020, 4:54pm
Vodka Drinker
Just finished Carl Froch's autobiography . As someone that's seen him fight a few times I rate him .Reminds me a  bit of the Rocky films in the way he sometimes fought. Just a shame for his biggest fight against Andre Ward as he even states  wasn't up for it and lost.

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 146
Sandford1981
December 4, 2020, 10:51pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Quoted from Rick12
Just finished Carl Froch's autobiography . As someone that's seen him fight a few times I rate him .Reminds me a  bit of the Rocky films in the way he sometimes fought. Just a shame for his biggest fight against Andre Ward as he even states  wasn't up for it and lost.

I loved watching froch fight. What’s the book like?

Private Message
Reply: 46 - 146
Rick12
December 5, 2020, 8:52am
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from Sandford1981

I loved watching froch fight. What’s the book like?
Interesting .He states that without his trainer Rob McCraken he would of never made it as big .McCracken when he took him on saw the potential and kept certain things but improved others. The result was a far more polished fighter.

States some other things which is relevant to football and which Ive also heard from Harry Redknapp. Has a go at the bookies/some analysts  for one . They pass judgment without never having played the sport in their lives.

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 146
Sandford1981
December 5, 2020, 10:00am
Fine Wine Drinker
Cheers. I will add it to my ever expanding wish list.

Private Message
Reply: 48 - 146
Rick12
December 5, 2020, 10:48am
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from Sandford1981
Cheers. I will add it to my ever expanding wish list.
Froch's book was ok but nothing special. If you like your boxing book that I enjoyed most to date was  four kings: Leonard, Hagler,Hearns, Duran and the last great era of boxing by George Kimball.

It was a time when the best fought the best in their primes and how boxing should be .Unlike now where sometimes the best dont fight the best in their best years .Think of the debacle with Mayweather v Pacquaio .

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 146
15 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Non Football › Book Club

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.