15 Pages Prev ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 Next All Recommend Thread
Rick12
November 9, 2022, 10:42am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.15
Rep Score: +42 / -3
Approval: +255
Gold Stars: 45
Evolution the greatest show on earth by Richard Dawkins.

This book was a big eye opener for me and helped explain many of the things I have been pondering for a good while now eg why there is suffering on this earth eg some children die of cancer aged 5 whereas others are healthy .

It's all due to chance and nature just interested in survival eg no interest in suffering which eventually gave rise to humans  according to Dawkins .

Brilliant book .

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 120 - 146
BobbyCummingsTackle
November 9, 2022, 11:01am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.54
Rep Score: +8 / -4
Location: Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right, stuck in the middle...
Approval: +7,278
Gold Stars: 306
Quoted from Rick12

This book was a big eye opener for me and helped explain many of the things I have been pondering for a good while now eg why there is suffering on this earth eg some children die of cancer aged 5 whereas others are healthy .

It's all due to chance and nature just interested in survival eg no interest in suffering which eventually gave rise to humans  according to Dawkins .

Brilliant book .

If you enjoyed this check out Malcolm Gladwell's work. In a similar vein but not with the atheist/anti religion agenda. Start with 'Outliers'.

Miss Scunthorpe. Not a beauty pageant, just sound advice.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 121 - 146
Rick12
November 9, 2022, 11:03am
Vodka Drinker

If you enjoyed this check out Malcolm Gladwell's work. In a similar vein but not with the atheist/anti religion agenda. Start with 'Outliers'.

Will have a look Bobby . Thanks.

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 122 - 146
BobbyCummingsTackle
November 9, 2022, 11:09am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.54
Rep Score: +8 / -4
Location: Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right, stuck in the middle...
Approval: +7,278
Gold Stars: 306
Managed Care by Joe Barrett

Not very challenging and not high literature but funny and quirky. An adult man lives in an old folks home (managed care facility in the US), I won't ruin the reveal by telling you why. He's a bit of a dreamer and a fantasist and this gets him into some funny situations/trouble when a local kid is sent to read to him.

I was surprised how much I enjoyed it.

Miss Scunthorpe. Not a beauty pageant, just sound advice.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 123 - 146
ginnywings
November 10, 2022, 8:26pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,147
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from Rick12

Brilliant book .

Bit baffled by this.

Surely as a man of religion, you don't believe in evolution, especially if those thoughts are coming from one of the most well-known atheists in the country.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 124 - 146
Rick12
November 10, 2022, 9:13pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from ginnywings

Bit baffled by this.

Surely as a man of religion, you don't believe in evolution, especially if those thoughts are coming from one of the most well-known atheists in the country.
Firstly Ginny 100% I agree with evolution. As for Dawkins I have read a few of his books and to clarify even he is not a 100% atheist.

Without getting too deep  for me  I think the start of everything can be considered a divine act hence what caused  the big bang. From that the ever expanding universe  gave rise to the earth as we know it today and the evolutionary rules that gave rise to humans . I actually agree with another of Richard Dawkins book titles eg  the blind watchmaker.

As noted though Iam a omnist eg someone that thinks all main religions have truths to them but none have it spot on.

I don't have all the answers either 😉.

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 125 - 146
ginnywings
November 10, 2022, 9:36pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,147
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from Rick12
Firstly Ginny 100% I agree with evolution. As for Dawkins I have read a few of his books and to clarify even he is not a 100% atheist.

Without getting too deep  for me  I think the start of everything can be considered a divine act hence what caused  the big bang. From that the ever expanding universe  gave rise to the earth as we know it today and the evolutionary rules that gave rise to humans . I actually agree with another of Richard Dawkins book titles eg  the blind watchmaker.

As noted though Iam a omnist eg someone that thinks all main religions have truths to them but none have it spot on.

I don't have all the answers either 😉.

Fair enough.

Thank you for the reply.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 126 - 146
Sandford1981
March 10, 2023, 3:21pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +11 / 0
Approval: +2,085
Gold Stars: 59
The best in the world (at what I have no idea)
Chris Jericho
8/10

I thoroughly enjoyed this as I knew I would really. I loved reading his first 2 books and this was in a similar vein. Chris is a great storyteller and his charisma spills out on to the page effortlessly. It’s the first physical book I’ve read in a while having gone through a long run of listening to them on audible and it made a nice change to be fair.
This book has good humour throughout and has a little bit for everyone and although mostly oriented  around pro wrestling, there is plenty of material from the wider showbiz world and from his music with his band Fozzy too. I don’t care for the music but his passion and the circles he moves in means there’s stories about people well known to that scene that I too liked regardless.

“I know writers who use subtext and they’re all cowards.” –Garth Marenghi
Private Message
Reply: 127 - 146
OddShapedBalls
March 13, 2023, 3:20pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.03
Rep Score: +5 / -1
Approval: +1,191
Gold Stars: 39
'Spy Handler' - Memoir of a KGB Officer, Victor Cherkashin
8.5/10

Thoroughly interesting read about the real life of a man who spent 40 years in the KGB as a counter-intelligence officer, eventually being involved in some of the biggest american defections of the cold war, followed by some thoughts on post-soviet russia in the 90's.  Definitely worth a read if you have any interest in spies or recent history, or fancy a look into a KGB officers mind.  Completely dispels the notions people have of James Bond-esque espionage existing yet the operations are just as exciting in other ways. i was born in the 80's so lots of the book covers before my time, some of you may get more from it having lived through certain things he talks about.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 128 - 146
gytone
March 17, 2023, 8:59am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +6 / -2
Approval: +1,029
Gold Stars: 8
Just finished SAS Rogue hereos absolutely fantastic book, what they went through in world war 2 is astonishing, tough men and real hereos 9/10.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 129 - 146
15 Pages Prev ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Non Football › Book Club

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.