15 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 Next All Recommend Thread
KingstonMariner
October 3, 2020, 12:54am
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.07
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Currently reading ‘Microcosm - Portrait of a Central European City’, by Norman Davies and Roger Moorhouse.

Sounds heavy, and at 500 pages it is literally. But it’s a cracking read. If you’re a history geek.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 146
Rick12
October 3, 2020, 10:16am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.15
Rep Score: +42 / -3
Approval: +255
Gold Stars: 45
Quoted from KingstonMariner
Currently reading ‘Microcosm - Portrait of a Central European City’, by Norman Davies and Roger Moorhouse.

Sounds heavy, and at 500 pages it is literally. But it’s a cracking read. If you’re a history geek.
Thanks for the recommendation .A history book that I read within the last 3 month's which I found moving was " Andrew Marrs a history of the world."

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 146
KingstonMariner
October 3, 2020, 10:37pm
Meths Drinker
Quoted from Rick12
Thanks for the recommendation .A history book that I read within the last 3 month's which I found intriguing  was " Andrew Marrs a history of the world."

‘Intriguing’ is an ambiguous term. Intriguing good or intriguing ‘wtf is this guy on?’

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 146
Rick12
October 4, 2020, 8:39am
Vodka Drinker

‘Intriguing’ is an ambiguous term. Intriguing good or intriguing ‘wtf is this guy on?’
Have a break Kingston  . I was alluding to fascinating  .

What you on more like. Try to send out a bit more positivity as opposed to negativity. People prefer that in life.

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 146
aldi_01
October 4, 2020, 10:32am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.03
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
I mean Brave New World and 1984 would be appropriate at this current time...Lord of the Flies too...

I’ve just read ‘1312 Among the ultras’. An excellent insight in to football ultras world wide and the impact and influence they have.

I’ve reread Tim Parks’ book ‘A season with Verona’ - it’s excellent and whilst there are some serious issues in the book, it gives you an insight in to italian football.

Calcio is another great book with checking out but Jonathan Foot. Some excellent detail about Italian football, right from the start...

Soccernomics is excellent too...

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 146
Rick12
October 4, 2020, 1:21pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from aldi_01
I mean Brave New World and 1984 would be appropriate at this current time...Lord of the Flies too...

I’ve just read ‘1312 Among the ultras’. An excellent insight in to football ultras world wide and the impact and influence they have.

I’ve reread Tim Parks’ book ‘A season with Verona’ - it’s excellent and whilst there are some serious issues in the book, it gives you an insight in to italian football.

Calcio is another great book with checking out but Jonathan Foot. Some excellent detail about Italian football, right from the start...

Soccernomics is excellent too...
Thanks for these Aldi. I love a football book .

Good ones that I read were Alex Ferguson managing my life. Interesting to note that he said a lot of the drinking culture in this country which has always existed in football and probably to a lesser extent now came from the mining community's where people after a long shift down the mine then went into the pub. This then carried over into football.

Another one was La Roja a journey through Spanish football by Jimmy Burns. Considering the Spanish had always been bottle jobs on the international scene and to then  have the success they did between 2008 and 2012 I found extraordinary . I for one never thought they would win the world cup as did many others in Spain. Hence I remember going over to Spain in 2010 and hearing stories of grown men crying .Like me they thought they would never see the day when their country would win the world cup. Dream come true for many Spaniards and what was nice is it temporarily gave a unity to the country including some Catalonians that wanted separatism from Spain.

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 146
Ipswin
October 4, 2020, 4:30pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +44 / -47
Approval: -3,552
Gold Stars: 89
Quoted from aldi_01

Agreed on Season with Verona

I also recommend:

'Forever Young' by Oliver Kay the tragic story of Adrian Doherty
'Brilliant Orange' by David Winner
'Ajax the Dutch the War' by Simon Kuper
'Fields of Glory Paths of Gold' by Kevin Connolly and Rab MacWilliam

But best of all, an absolutely fantastic book about Italian football 'The Miracle of Castel di Sangro' by Joe McGuinness about a Conference level club from a mountain village that made it to Serie B - best footy book ever

On bended knee is no way to be free - Peter R de Vries

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse.....=public_profile_post
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 146
KingstonMariner
October 4, 2020, 6:34pm
Meths Drinker
Quoted from Ipswin

Agreed on Season with Verona

I also recommend:

'Forever Young' by Oliver Kay the tragic story of Adrian Doherty
'Brilliant Orange' by David Winner
'Ajax the Dutch the War' by Simon Kuper
'Fields of Glory Paths of Gold' by Kevin Connolly and Rab MacWilliam

But best of all, an absolutely fantastic book about Italian football 'The Miracle of Castel di Sangro' by Joe McGuinness about a Conference level club from a mountain village that made it to Serie B - best footy book ever

With you on the Verona book and the Miracle of Castel di Sangro, and Ajax the Dutch and the War. Have you tried Ajax, Barcelona, Cruyff?

Similar to the Ajax/War book is one I read about Dynamo Kiev. Can’t remember the bloody name now or the author.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 146
KingstonMariner
October 4, 2020, 6:36pm
Meths Drinker
Quoted from Rick12
Have a break Kingston  . I was alluding to fascinating  .

What you on more like. Try to send out a bit more positivity as opposed to negativity. People prefer that in life.

You’re a touchy little thing aren’t you! Intriguing is a neutral word. It could be either positive or negative. I didn’t say it was negative.  If you use an ambiguous term, then any responsibility for misunderstanding is down to you.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 146
Ipswin
October 4, 2020, 6:41pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +44 / -47
Approval: -3,552
Gold Stars: 89

With you on the Verona book and the Miracle of Castel di Sangro, and Ajax the Dutch and the War. Have you tried Ajax, Barcelona, Cruyff?

Similar to the Ajax/War book is one I read about Dynamo Kiev. Can’t remember the bloody name now or the author.

I read Cruyff's autobiography 'My Turn'. it was frankly awful and changed my mind about the man, great player but came across as a petulant twit

I read a book about Moscow Dynamo (I think) about their tour to UK in the 1950s but sadly a) I can't find the damn thing!  and b) I can't remember the title  

On bended knee is no way to be free - Peter R de Vries

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse.....=public_profile_post
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 146
15 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Non Football › Book Club

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.