9 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
MuddyWaters
September 23, 2020, 10:28pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,208
Gold Stars: 235
According to tomorrow’s Daily Telegraph, they’ve agreed a 250 million bail out to EFL subject to some post Brexit conditions on overseas players.

Some will say about time, but it’s got to be good news.
Private Message
Barrattstander
September 23, 2020, 10:38pm

Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.08
Rep Score: +7 / -1
Approval: +868
Gold Stars: 14
Somehow I doubt that will be shared out as £3,472,222.22 each.

62 Seasons following the Mariners from the Barrett Stand side.(apart from 2020-21)
[img]https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DL2SD1UW4AAfaOx.jpg[/img]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 81
Meza
September 23, 2020, 10:42pm

We urine On Your Fish Yes we do yes we do
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.83
Rep Score: +78 / -3
Approval: +1,631
Gold Stars: 50
Quoted from Barrattstander
Somehow I doubt that will be shared out as £3,472,222.22 each.

Yeah probably something like this

Champ - 60%
LG1 - 30%
LG2 - 10%

[URL=https://imgur.com/VCxdH2Y][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/VCxdH2Ys.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=https://imgur.com/uMRVvRe][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/uMRVvRes.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=https://imgur.com/5p7nllT][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/5p7nllTs.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=https://imgur.com/46BEw5M][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/46BEw5Ms.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=https://imgur.com/06NXnQF][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/06NXnQFs.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

My Grimsby Legends
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 81
Stadium
September 23, 2020, 10:48pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.78
Rep Score: +6 / 0
Approval: +1,929
Gold Stars: 19
Premier League clubs are resigned to having to bail out the English Football League - but with strings attached.

Members of the world’s richest league are expected to impose strict conditions on a support package worth up to £250 million to their lower-league counterparts.

They are prepared to make a take-it-or-leave-it offer after the Government made clear it would not be rescuing the professional game from collapse following the coronavirus crisis.

Premier League clubs had been holding off agreeing to underwrite losses of up to £22m a month being posted by EFL sides until after the planned return of crowds to the game a week today, in the hope both competitions could start generating some ticket revenue.

But Boris Johnson destroyed those plans on Tuesday by announcing a new wave of lockdown restrictions that could force professional and semi-professional football behind closed doors for another six months.

The Prime Minister and his cabinet are determined to hold the Premier League to one of the conditions of the competition resuming this summer in Project Restart after football was suspended in March, which was its clubs supporting the wider football family.

Those clubs, who have already made some contribution to that effect despite losing millions of pounds a week themselves, are now reluctantly ready to go further by bailing out the lower leagues.

However, any rescue package is likely to be limited to underwriting lost gate receipts, with EFL clubs needing to provide clear evidence to that effect.

Premier League clubs have no intention of bailing out teams already at risk of going bust before the pandemic due to poor ownership or other self-inflicted issues.

The league also wants the EFL to agree to support some of its own strategic objectives in exchange for the cash, including post-Brexit quotas on overseas players and on its yet-to-be-agreed curtailment rules.

EFL chairman Rick Parry has been resisting these latter conditions during negotiations over a rescue package but may be forced to accept them if he wants the cash, with Government sources telling The Daily Telegraph it has no intention of dictating what terms are applied to any bailout.

The EFL has been exploring taking out a commercial loan but clubs have told The Telegraph that borrowing money would simply delay their demise.

Parry has already said teams could go bust by Christmas and he reiterated the urgency of a bailout on Wednesday in a statement questioning the Government’s decision to scrap the return of fans.

“Of course we recognise that the UK is facing a significant public health crisis and that sport has to play its part in helping the Government manage the spread of the virus at this difficult time,” he said.

“This is why over many months we have helped the Government devise, refine and pilot stringent stadium protocols designed to keep supporters safe. Staging professional football matches is one of the most heavily regulated areas of crowd management and any supporters attending EFL fixtures, in vastly reduced numbers, would have been required to adhere to social distancing and the rule of six.

“Therefore we are deeply frustrated that we will not be able to continue this work and, in doing so, gather the evidence to show that crowds can return safely to football and become an important financial lifeline for our clubs. Therefore, as a matter of urgency we now need to understand what the Government’s roadmap is for getting supporters back into stadiums as soon as it is deemed safe to do so.

“With extended measures introduced, it is imperative that the financial issues facing our clubs are addressed quickly. EFL clubs lost £50m last season as a result of playing matches behind closed doors or curtailing the season and stand to lose a further £200m in 2020/21 should we be required to play the whole season without supporters in grounds.

"I am encouraged that the Government has recognised the need for urgent financial assistance for sport and discussions will continue with DCMS and the Premier League.”

“There's nothing wrong with the car except that it's on fire.”- Murray Walker
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 81
ginnywings
September 23, 2020, 10:56pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.04
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,098
Gold Stars: 548
Problem for me being that when you go cap in hand to the Squire, there's always a price to pay...
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 81
Boris Johnson
September 24, 2020, 12:12am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +2 / -15
Approval: -2,797
Gold Stars: 4
Quoted from ginnywings
Problem for me being that when you go cap in hand to the Squire, there's always a price to pay...

B Teams....................
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 81
Malta_Mariner_90
September 24, 2020, 5:01am
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.22
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +796
Quoted from ginnywings

Which should worry us all in my opinion. Under normal circumstances Football is always evolving of course, always has done always will. God knows what some of our predecessors would think of how the game is these days for all of the hyperbole that comes with the PL.

But with the big clubs acting like they have "always been at the top" these days I fear for the future of the pyramid structure as we currently know it. Especially if they now are collectively "owed one" by the FL.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 81
aldi_01
September 24, 2020, 6:11am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.03
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
Going cap in hand to the premier league will come at a cost that goes beyond borrowing a few quid.

This will only serve to push the agenda of B teams further among other things me thinks. It’s also naive of lower league clubs to assume, simply because there’s cash at the top that they should bail us out.

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 81
diehardmariner
September 24, 2020, 9:36am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,424
Gold Stars: 532
I'm still not convinced the Premier League, or its members, are that bothered about the B Team agenda.  That was more Shaun Harvey and Greg Dyke trying to impress them wasn't it?  Perhaps a little bit more deflecting from their failings on the behalf of Dyke and the FA.

A B Team format does relatively little for the Premier League clubs other than giving them fixtures to use their Under 23's.  Something I'm sure they can already do as part of the Premier League 2 and/or loans which are already very successful.  With the shortened season and looming winter breaks, the fixture congestion is a worry for a lot of clubs so I don't see them wanting extra games.

The cost of accepting the bail out will most likely be falling in line when it comes to voting against foreign player restrictions.  Personally, I couldn't care less about this.  If that's what the Premier League, which is already so far devoid of any relationship with the common football fan, want to do...so be it.

Long term it may be to the detriment of the national side, but if push comes to shove I'd take a poor England side if it meant having a Football League pyramid.
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 81
ginnywings
September 24, 2020, 9:54am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.04
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,098
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from diehardmariner
I'm still not convinced the Premier League, or its members, are that bothered about the B Team agenda.  That was more Shaun Harvey and Greg Dyke trying to impress them wasn't it?  Perhaps a little bit more deflecting from their failings on the behalf of Dyke and the FA.

A B Team format does relatively little for the Premier League clubs other than giving them fixtures to use their Under 23's.  Something I'm sure they can already do as part of the Premier League 2 and/or loans which are already very successful.  With the shortened season and looming winter breaks, the fixture congestion is a worry for a lot of clubs so I don't see them wanting extra games.

The cost of accepting the bail out will most likely be falling in line when it comes to voting against foreign player restrictions.  Personally, I couldn't care less about this.  If that's what the Premier League, which is already so far devoid of any relationship with the common football fan, want to do...so be it.

Long term it may be to the detriment of the national side, but if push comes to shove I'd take a poor England side if it meant having a Football League pyramid.

It's not about extra games, it's about extra teams. Do you want to be playing against Man Utd B in League 2? There is a real concern that teams may go to the wall; Macclesfield already have, and who will fill those spaces?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 81
9 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Premier League bail out for EFL

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.