Ipswin
October 1, 2020, 12:36pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +44 / -47
Approval: -3,552
Gold Stars: 89
Quoted from diehardmariner

I'm an absolute purist.  If I had my way it would all be one league system in this country, all under one ruling body.  The Champions go into the Champions Cup and the winners of the cups go into the Cup Winners Cups.  That's it.  It's silly having half your top flight playing in European competition.

Don't forget the Inter City Fairs Cup

On bended knee is no way to be free - Peter R de Vries

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse.....=public_profile_post
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 81
RichMariner
October 1, 2020, 1:49pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,141
Gold Stars: 209
I'm with diehardmariner on this whole issue.

I think we can all see what the Premier League is doing; what it wants; where it wants to be. It's changed the face of the game and the way it's governed means it's hard for fans of clubs at our level to identify with it.

Poojah made a great comment along the lines of possibility. The route to the top still exists, and that's enough.

But quite honestly, because we're so far detached from the likes of Liverpool, Manu and Man City, they can have their European super league as far as I'm concerned. They can have their little jerk circle.

Because to me, what matters is playing in a football league system that's honest and straightforward. Let the Prem disappear up their own arses. We'll remain, restructure what we've got, work to rules that don't encourage teams to overspend and get back to the days when the best team in the land isn't the one that's the richest.

Obviously that's not going to happen, but that's the dream. Reinvent the old-fashioned four-tier league, and cut the greedy gits from it. So what if it's not all over the TV screens? I want to be able to go to the matches.

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 51 - 81
moosey_club
October 1, 2020, 4:48pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,203
Gold Stars: 224
Quoted from RichMariner
I'm with diehardmariner on this whole issue.

I think we can all see what the Premier League is doing; what it wants; where it wants to be. It's changed the face of the game and the way it's governed means it's hard for fans of clubs at our level to identify with it.

Poojah made a great comment along the lines of possibility. The route to the top still exists, and that's enough.

But quite honestly, because we're so far detached from the likes of Liverpool, Manu and Man City, they can have their European super league as far as I'm concerned. They can have their little jerk circle.

Because to me, what matters is playing in a football league system that's honest and straightforward. Let the Prem disappear up their own arses. We'll remain, restructure what we've got, work to rules that don't encourage teams to overspend and get back to the days when the best team in the land isn't the one that's the richest.

Obviously that's not going to happen, but that's the dream. Reinvent the old-fashioned four-tier league, and cut the greedy gits from it. So what if it's not all over the TV screens? I want to be able to go to the matches.

Out of interest, just how far back do you think that would be?

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWL
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 81
Ipswin
October 2, 2020, 1:40pm
Vodka Drinker
Frankly rather than the elite giving the smaller lower league clubs the crumbs from their table and holding them to ransom by demanding all sorts of favours and concessions in return I'd rather see the sick and unsustainable teams go out of business thus avoiding a Macclesfield, Bury et al every season. Many clubs are simply unsustainable end of.

Private Message
Reply: 53 - 81
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
October 2, 2020, 2:03pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.35
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from Ipswin
Frankly rather than the elite giving the smaller lower league clubs the crumbs from their table and holding them to ransom by demanding all sorts of favours and concessions in return I'd rather see the sick and unsustainable teams go out of business thus avoiding a Macclesfield, Bury et al every season. Many clubs are simply unsustainable end of.

Clubs always have been up and down it’s a cyclical thing. If the football world had not been like that then clubs like Wimbledon would never exist, Hull would have gone bust in the 1990s. I remember seeing Accrington the first time they went bust. The first bald headed player I ever saw was Seddon their centre half. By the end of the season their record was expunged. Yes it is down to ownership and we may see changes if and when things return to a semblance of normality. But I would still far rather watch a local side than some bunch of overpaid and overrated foreigners who were only signed to line somebody’s pockets and play a game that looks more like FIFA 2021 than football.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 81
Ipswin
October 2, 2020, 2:16pm
Vodka Drinker

. But I would still far rather watch a local side than some bunch of overpaid and overrated foreigners who were only signed to line somebody’s pockets and play a game that looks more like FIFA 2021 than football.

I'm sure fans of 'local sides' will still be able to watch their clubs even if they are unable to continue at their current levels due to a cash crisis exaccerbated by Coronavirus they just won't be in Div 3, 4, the conference or other leagues at level 8 downwards. They will have to live within their means instead of teetering on the financial brink all the time, they won't be signing pros they can't really afford as players will be part time etc. and they will owe the Premioer League intercourse all

Private Message
Reply: 55 - 81
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
October 2, 2020, 2:39pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.35
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from Ipswin

I'm sure fans of 'local sides' will still be able to watch their clubs even if they are unable to continue at their current levels due to a cash crisis exaccerbated by Coronavirus they just won't be in Div 3, 4, the conference or other leagues at level 8 downwards. They will have to live within their means instead of teetering on the financial brink all the time, they won't be signing pros they can't really afford as players will be part time etc. and they will owe the Premioer League intercourse all

Quite possibly Swin. The part time argument has been around many years now. Do you remember it in reverse when Lincoln first went out of the league in 1986? They stayed full time and walked it, Halifax did the same, Boston too. That’s a sort of psychological issue as much as anything, if a club does the reverse and goes p/t then it looks like it’s giving up the ghost on playing at a higher level.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 81
HertsGTFC
October 2, 2020, 2:43pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,876
Gold Stars: 227
I think we should go back to jumpers for goal posts....... but unfortunately as much as we all yearn for a less commercial game where you can climb the divisions on merit and hard work it’s never coming back.

As much as a bail out would put a plaster on things I think the EFL and the FA should look at their own governance rules in terms of club ownership & financing as the issue sits closer to home rather than at the top table.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 57 - 81
Ipswin
October 2, 2020, 3:00pm
Vodka Drinker

Quite possibly Swin. The part time argument has been around many years now. Do you remember it in reverse when Lincoln first went out of the league in 1986? They stayed full time and walked it, Halifax did the same, Boston too. That’s a sort of psychological issue as much as anything, if a club does the reverse and goes p/t then it looks like it’s giving up the ghost on playing at a higher level.

Its the fascination /fixation with 'playing at a higher level' (irrespective of financial implications) that I just don't get. What is it about being in the Football League? So what if your side is playing Shithole City instead of Manchester City? (more likely to win a few) so long as it continues to exist.Surely that's what matters

99% of fans of smaller / lower league clubs just want to be able to watch and support 'their' (local) team irrespective of whether it's in the Football League or Lindsey Sunday League on Ploggers

Private Message
Reply: 58 - 81
KingstonMariner
October 3, 2020, 12:47am
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.08
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
The more I think about it the more I don’t like the ida of a PL bail out. It fear it will come with strings. Besides if the PL has got money to burn, why should it be treated differently from other business sectors? If they’ve got too much money, clearly tax is not progressive enough.

Better, if anything, the money comes from the state (and taxation), if society is seen to benefit by the continuance of lower league football.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 59 - 81
9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Premier League bail out for EFL

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.