This thread currently has 13,455 views. Print
9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
GrimRob
September 24, 2020, 10:07am

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,397
Gold Stars: 113
It's the mother of all benign loans, but the clubs will have to take it. Wonder what the National League will do? Will the EFL toss them a few scraps?

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Online
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 10 - 81
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
September 24, 2020, 10:10am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.35
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
They should hand out the cash with no strings whatsoever because the PL owes EFL clubs for keeping grassroots football going for the past 20odd years while they and their greasy broadcaster pals and seedy investors have been coining it in by signing average tat players from abroad and setting up their selfish deals to spread the income global.

What we may think of the EFL itself does not matter. The PL has bags of dirty cash stashed and it’s time they unloaded some in recognition of what football is really about.

Every PL exec should also be made to read, inwardly digest and learn every word of Gregor Robertson’s Times article.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 81
Heisenberg
September 24, 2020, 11:04am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.79
Rep Score: +9 / -1
Approval: +4,955
Gold Stars: 93
They should hand out the cash with no strings whatsoever because the PL owes EFL clubs for keeping grassroots football going for the past 20odd years while they and their greasy broadcaster pals and seedy investors have been coining it in by signing average tat players from abroad and setting up their selfish deals to spread the income global.

What we may think of the EFL itself does not matter. The PL has bags of dirty cash stashed and it’s time they unloaded some in recognition of what football is really about.

Every PL exec should also be made to read, inwardly digest and learn every word of Gregor Robertson’s Times article.

This leaves me torn.  Firstly, there are clubs, particularly in The Championship, who, as the article earlier rightly points out, cannot be bailed out because of their own idiocy.

Secondly, this B Team thing may be us being paranoid, but the prospect scares and repulses me.

Thirdly, will the PL clubs demand a further change on how they poach the best youngsters from up and down the country?  The sale of these types of players are our lifeblood, and I do not trust the PL to 'do the right thing'.

My preference, without a doubt, would be to ride this season out, as a club take the financial hit that'll need servicing over the coming years, and survive that way.  And, completely selfishly, watch a handful of other clubs fall around us.  Some will find that latter bit distasteful, but sometimes there are those that just simply are not viable in this day and age.  I don't think we're one of them, so to hamstring us with debt from the PL when we could possibly get by without it would mean we are looked down on by the big boys forever more, and I really hate that.

If some clubs fall by the wayside, there is ALWAYS someone better run in non-league who can take their place, always.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 81
moosey_club
September 24, 2020, 11:04am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,202
Gold Stars: 224
To uphold the fair play finance rules then the fairest way to divvy out any money would be to give each club a settlement around their lost income based on the historic income ?

So for us for example no of lost home games x average gate receipt , commercial advertising sponsors lost income, matchday sales etc.......

All those numbers are known by every club and must be in their accounts/ books so should be readily available. You can argue +/- percentages based on recent upturn or downturn but overall each club would be compensated for its actual loss making it a more equal approach.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWL
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 81
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
September 24, 2020, 11:14am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.35
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from Heisenberg

This leaves me torn.  Firstly, there are clubs, particularly in The Championship, who, as the article earlier rightly points out, cannot be bailed out because of their own idiocy.

Secondly, this B Team thing may be us being paranoid, but the prospect scares and repulses me.

Thirdly, will the PL clubs demand a further change on how they poach the best youngsters from up and down the country?  The sale of these types of players are our lifeblood, and I do not trust the PL to 'do the right thing'.

My preference, without a doubt, would be to ride this season out, as a club take the financial hit that'll need servicing over the coming years, and survive that way.  And, completely selfishly, watch a handful of other clubs fall around us.  Some will find that latter bit distasteful, but sometimes there are those that just simply are not viable in this day and age.  I don't think we're one of them, so to hamstring us with debt from the PL when we could possibly get by without it would mean we are looked down on by the big boys forever more, and I really hate that.

If some clubs fall by the wayside, there is ALWAYS someone better run in non-league who can take their place, always.

I’m not naive. The PL will always want to have chains not strings attached to any loans or bail outs. When you have spent 20-30 years conning punters into spending hard earned cash to support what is basically a money laundering operation, you are not going to suddenly become Santa Claus. The PL exists to make money, nothing else. It has no interest in English football per se only in the fact that English clubs have a captive following.

The deal will be a tiny amount for L2 and a lot for the big Championship sides. Take it and go back for more later.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 81
diehardmariner
September 24, 2020, 11:55am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,404
Gold Stars: 532
Quoted from ginnywings

It's not about extra games, it's about extra teams. Do you want to be playing against Man Utd B in League 2? There is a real concern that teams may go to the wall; Macclesfield already have, and who will fill those spaces?

Again though, even with an extra team (it wouldn't be an extra team, it's just a glorified reserve team), what is the benefit to the likes of Manchester United if they've got their kids playing in League Two as opposed to against Liverpool's Under 23's?  If they want their players to get that nitty, gritty experience of playing at the lower levels there's a loan market which they utilise quite well, in the case of someone like Chelsea to a tidy profit as well.

The big concern for the Premier League clubs, especially the bigger boys, is around restrictions on signing foreign players in the brave new post-Brexit world.  The likes of Man City are already attempting to combat this with clubs around the world coming under their wider umbrella, I fully expect others to follow suit too.  It's here where I think they'll demand EFL in return for a bail-out, very much a 'you scratch my back, I'll feed you a crumb' scenario.  Granting B Teams into League Two serves absolutely benefit to the clubs at the top of the table.

With regards who replaces those clubs that go to the wall?  Well, the cynic in me thinks that'll present an opportunity to cap relegation from the Premier League.
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 81
golfer
September 24, 2020, 12:09pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.30
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,419
Gold Stars: 115
Spot on
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 81
pen penfras
September 24, 2020, 12:10pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.67
Rep Score: +8 / -9
Approval: -128
Gold Stars: 71
Quoted from moosey_club
To uphold the fair play finance rules then the fairest way to divvy out any money would be to give each club a settlement around their lost income based on the historic income ?

So for us for example no of lost home games x average gate receipt , commercial advertising sponsors lost income, matchday sales etc.......

All those numbers are known by every club and must be in their accounts/ books so should be readily available. You can argue +/- percentages based on recent upturn or downturn but overall each club would be compensated for its actual loss making it a more equal approach.

That's basically what the article says will happen.

What it doesn't say is whether it's a loan or a 'gift'. Lots of comments about it being a loan in here, but I thought it was a donation to keep clubs going.

I don't think B teams can be introduced without a vote among clubs, so it's not going to happen.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 81
WayneBurnettsJockstrap
September 24, 2020, 12:36pm

Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.77
Rep Score: +10 / -2
Approval: +827
Gold Stars: 117
Quoted from Meza

Yeah probably something like this

Champ - 60%
LG1 - 30%
LG2 - 10%

Even just 10% for L2 would be 25 million and 24 clubs to share it out to.

Considering Mr Day said we would lose an extra 250000 then a million quid would nicely cover that.....and some!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 81
ginnywings
September 24, 2020, 1:38pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.04
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,098
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from diehardmariner

Again though, even with an extra team (it wouldn't be an extra team, it's just a glorified reserve team), what is the benefit to the likes of Manchester United if they've got their kids playing in League Two as opposed to against Liverpool's Under 23's?  If they want their players to get that nitty, gritty experience of playing at the lower levels there's a loan market which they utilise quite well, in the case of someone like Chelsea to a tidy profit as well.

The big concern for the Premier League clubs, especially the bigger boys, is around restrictions on signing foreign players in the brave new post-Brexit world.  The likes of Man City are already attempting to combat this with clubs around the world coming under their wider umbrella, I fully expect others to follow suit too.  It's here where I think they'll demand EFL in return for a bail-out, very much a 'you scratch my back, I'll feed you a crumb' scenario.  Granting B Teams into League Two serves absolutely benefit to the clubs at the top of the table.

With regards who replaces those clubs that go to the wall?  Well, the cynic in me thinks that'll present an opportunity to cap relegation from the Premier League.

I think if they can get feeder clubs or B teams into the football pyramid, they will. It already happens in other countries and if there is a way of shoehorning them in here I think they will take it. The trouble with big, powerful organisations is that they tend to want to get bigger and more powerful.

It's been said that it wouldn't happen because it would have to be voted in by lower league clubs, but if those lower league clubs are on the verge of bankruptcy, or worse, have already gone, then it becomes easier for the rich and mighty clubs to get their way. Desperate times call for desperate measures.

I hope you're right but they have already managed to get their u23's into a cup competition, which i saw at the time as the thin end of the wedge. They may use this to hammer that wedge just a little further.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 81
9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Premier League bail out for EFL

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.