Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Match Thread - Walsall (A)
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 255 Guests

Match Thread - Walsall (A)

This thread currently has 26,317 views. Print
19 Pages Prev ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 Next All Recommend Thread
Ipswin
September 12, 2020, 7:51pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +44 / -47
Approval: -3,552
Gold Stars: 89
Quoted from grimps

Over the last 10-15 years we’ve always been late singing players in the close season

Could explain why we have been excrement for last 10-15 years, can't we sign footballers instead of singers FFS

On bended knee is no way to be free - Peter R de Vries

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse.....=public_profile_post
Private Message
Reply: 140 - 181
denni266
September 12, 2020, 7:55pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.83
Rep Score: +13 / -21
Approval: +696
Gold Stars: 132
Quoted from grimps

Over the last 10-15 years we’ve always been late singing players in the close season

This is probably because the club where penny pinching as usual and wont sign players untill the last minute to save wages . And that costs us points from lack of fitness and of playing together
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 141 - 181
HertsGTFC
September 12, 2020, 8:25pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,909
Gold Stars: 228
We’re well undercooked fitness wise and that showed today as the mid field where chasing most of the game.

Good stuff.....

The lads worked hard and never gave up I don’t think anyone had a shocker but indeed nobody stood out.

Bad stuff.....

From dead ball situations really clueless, in the last 3rd we looked very weak.

Walsall looked just about ready for the first league game we looked like we where ready to play the first pre season friendly versus decent opposition.

We can’t afford one but we desperately need a ball player in mid field and a proper number 10.

Seen enough to tell me we’ll not really struggle but it will be a really mixed bag week in week out.

UTM!!

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 142 - 181
Mayaman
September 13, 2020, 2:27am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.92
Rep Score: +7 / -2
Approval: +3,400
Gold Stars: 74
Not sure I was watching the same game.  Not much to write home about.  The midfield was practically absent.  Edwards did well the first half but in the second he just kept running the ball into touch.  Matt Green was having a good game but then was substituted - I really couldn't work that out.  Where's Max Wright?

I don't like the fitness excuse.  The team knew when the season would start.  Besides that a soldier doesn't compromise on his fitness because there's no war. The players are paid to keep fit. Morecambe looked fitter than us and so did Walsall.  They have had the same limitations as we had.  It's simply not good enough.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 143 - 181
louth_in_the_south
September 13, 2020, 4:24am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +25 / -12
Approval: +5,674
Gold Stars: 95
I really hate myself for saying this but I don’t give a fook about this season. First game of the season I’m there . Doesn’t matter where . I’m there . Not this year . Didn’t even look at the score till half time. Bit gutted to see Walsall had scored but not that bothered like usual . Was hoping we’d get the equaliser but not that bothered we didn’t.
Football without fans is just sh.ite  . We are football and without fans it’s just a non event .

Lower F5
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 144 - 181
arryarryarry
September 13, 2020, 4:32am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,041
Gold Stars: 116
Quoted from Mayaman
Not sure I was watching the same game.  Not much to write home about.  The midfield was practically absent.  Edwards did well the first half but in the second he just kept running the ball into touch.  Matt Green was having a good game but then was substituted - I really couldn't work that out.  Where's Max Wright?

I don't like the fitness excuse.  The team knew when the season would start.  Besides that a soldier doesn't compromise on his fitness because there's no war. The players are paid to keep fit. Morecambe looked fitter than us and so did Walsall.  They have had the same limitations as we had.  It's simply not good enough.

Injured, could be out for a couple of months according to IH.
Private Message
Reply: 145 - 181
GollyGTFC
September 13, 2020, 7:25am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.68
Rep Score: +19 / -11
Approval: +5,977
Gold Stars: 356
I thought we looked terrible. Could be a long boring season in lower mid-table (14th-18th). We definitely need a younger, more mobile striker with experience.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 146 - 181
friskneymariner
September 13, 2020, 7:59am

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +15 / -4
Approval: +4,159
Gold Stars: 38
Don't know what match people were watching but I find it hard to draw many positives from that,passing was awful,mid field lightweight and overrun ,there was no join up plan of attack,very lucky to only concede one.Badly missed Hansen,going to be a very long season,we need experienced mid fielder who can win the ball and create attacks.Think it is going to be a very long season.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day,teach a man to fish and you give him an excuse for him to escape from the wife and kids for the weekend and drink lots of beer.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 147 - 181
aldi_01
September 13, 2020, 9:03am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.03
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
It may only be the first game but it was hard to find a positive, we hit the post in the last minute but other than that it wasn’t great.

My worry is, how long are we going to bleat on about not being fit, having a fragmented pre season and the like? By the time we’re up to speed we’ll have been cut adrift...

Every other club has been in a similar situation, yet they all seemed to cope. I’d say Walsall and Morecambe both seemed to have a consistent level of fitness throughout the match whereas we were dead on our feet after an hour. Again, we’ve heard snippets to suggest that players brought in are still a long way from the first team, why is that? We brought on a 15 year old lad when we were chasing the game. Fair play to the lad but are we in danger of killing him off too?

The negativity and acceptance and excuse making is symptomatic of the leadership of the club. We hear nothing positive and that begins to cascade. I believe 100% the playing staff want to win but blaming a lack of fitness can’t simply be the excuse for a few weeks.

We lacked any idea up front and the bright spark up there was taken off. Scannell looks decent, the centre half pairing wasn’t excrement but even as someone who is often critical of Waterfall can see that he and Pollock are a much better pairing.

We can moan about a ball playing midi fielder but aside from Embleton and Nolan I’m not sure we’ve had one for a while.

This season is gonna be odd to say the least and we can’t predict what will happen. Some are saying they’re not bothered, that’s fine but does that mean you’re happy to finish bottom and go out of the league back in to the abyss? Just being happy we exist isn’t enough. The season has started and we have to take it serious.

Next week won’t be easy either, let’s hope they put the hours and effort in in training and come up with a plan, something that appeared to be lacking yesterday.

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 148 - 181
louth_in_the_south
September 13, 2020, 9:20am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +25 / -12
Approval: +5,674
Gold Stars: 95
Not bothered

Lower F5
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 149 - 181
19 Pages Prev ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Match Thread - Walsall (A)

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.