Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Match Thread - Walsall (A)
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 217 Guests

Match Thread - Walsall (A)

This thread currently has 26,305 views. Print
19 Pages Prev ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 Next All Recommend Thread
Ipswin
September 13, 2020, 11:41am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +44 / -47
Approval: -3,552
Gold Stars: 89
Quoted from devs

It will take at least 8-10 games to be anywhere near IMO - it's bloody frustrating cos we never seem to get off to a flyer

A 'flyer' would be amazing but I'll settle for an average start Worried though that if we fail to get many points in our first 8-10 games I just don't see us pulling it back, it will be too much to expect from this squad however fit they are and however 'bedded in' they become if they are strugging at the bottom from the word go..

We are at best going to be lower mid table this season and we might not come back from a bad start

As someone observed Holloway talks a good game

On bended knee is no way to be free - Peter R de Vries

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse.....=public_profile_post
Private Message
Reply: 160 - 181
devs
September 13, 2020, 12:21pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +6 / -2
Approval: +1,986
Gold Stars: 30
Quoted from friskneymariner

So you are quite happy to squander 24-30 points whilst we are up to speed then,those points could be very importan t at the end of the season.

Quite happy? Of course I am cos there's nothing I like more than GTFC not winning...pillock!

Just realistic - 'it is what it is' as they say

Let Holloway manage - he's got bags of experience - done it all before - seen it all before

It is obvious he is managing all three of the 'terms' - short term, mid term, long term

Short term - the fittest will start matches plus as many experienced players as poss
Mid term - this will be the case until squad all match fit
Long-term - youngsters and new non league signings will need a good season to get embedded

Christ knows what it will be like on here if we lose next week

Should we start 'Ollie out' thread now?

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 161 - 181
KingstonMariner
September 13, 2020, 2:03pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.08
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from pen penfras
Wow, there's some real mood hoovers about. We weren't very good, but we weren't much worse than them.

On balance, the better team won. But they only made a couple more chances than we did, and had Green not been fouled several times when he turned their defender, he might have got a better shot away. We hit the post and just missed out on a draw.

Mckeown made a couple of good saves.
Hewitt did ok, put one or two lovely balls into the box, but Matt Green on his own against 3 defenders is a big ask.
Preston looks solid and has a decent left foot
Ohman was fantastic, my MOM
Idehen looked very good and coped well with a tricky forward. Had a couple of blips, but Pollock does every week and we rave about him.
Rose looks good but unfit.
Taylor was getting his foot in everywhere, helped out Hewitt really well. Has a good pass but plays it square a little often.
Williams had a couple of lovely touches and passes early on, but tired very quickly.
Edwards looked dangerous until he got frustrated and ended up getting in the way or trying to do too much.
Scannell looks like he'll be very good when he's got a few matches under his belt.
Green led the line well and battled well. He's not a target man but effort is fantastic and could have scored if he wasn't pulled back.

The Harrogate team we outplayed on Tuesday won 4-0.

I think there's enough positive signs to get behind the team. I don't expect we're going to challenge this season, but it's hard to know how good anybody is at this stage, particularly this season. Our late signings might actually help us get better players than we would usually be able to with the window closing soon and lots of players still unemployed. I certainly wouldn't have dreamt of getting Scannell

I pretty much agree with everything you wrote there PP. I think if we'd had the fitness it would have been a tough game to call. Obviously it begs the question why we have such a relatively unfit squad.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 162 - 181
promotion plaice
September 13, 2020, 2:20pm

Posts Per Day: 3.85
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +16,996
Gold Stars: 193
Quoted from KingstonMariner

I pretty much agree with everything you wrote there PP. I think if we'd had the fitness it would have been a tough game to call. Obviously it begs the question why we have such a relatively unfit squad.

Nooo......another PP on the fishy  

Joking apart good to see you back on here Kingston  

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 163 - 181
StaffsMariner
September 13, 2020, 2:23pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +428
Gold Stars: 6
Walsall played at least 3 more friendlys than us.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 164 - 181
promotion plaice
September 13, 2020, 2:29pm

Posts Per Day: 3.85
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +16,996
Gold Stars: 193
Quoted from StaffsMariner
Walsall played at least 3 more friendlys than us.

I would imagine everyone played more friendlies than us, including Cleethorpes.

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 165 - 181
friskneymariner
September 13, 2020, 3:22pm

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +15 / -4
Approval: +4,157
Gold Stars: 38
If I remember right the lad who noticed the King had no clothes on was ridiculed.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day,teach a man to fish and you give him an excuse for him to escape from the wife and kids for the weekend and drink lots of beer.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 166 - 181
Posh Harry
September 13, 2020, 5:04pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +15 / -3
Approval: +4,344
Gold Stars: 34
Quoted from aldi_01
But the time our excuse of needing 6-8 weeks to get up to speed runs it’s course we could be well cut adrift.

We can argue whether or not Walsall were much better than us until we’re blue isn’t he face, fact is, the beat us. They had one chance and scored and for the remaining half an hour of the game were pretty much in control...because they weren’t dead on their feet.

We’ve all had the same length of pre season so why are some teams seemingly much fitter.

I suppose some people aren’t bothered and perhaps when we’re in a relegation fight they still won’t be but in the cold light of day, regardless of the sheer lack of ambition by the board to progress, I can’t imagine anyone brought or thought about bringing holloway in to keep us up.

Like some have said, there were some positives, namely scannell looking lively, Green did a job until he was taken off, Tilley looked half decent when he came on but other than that it was pretty excrement.

A lot of teams came back before us, some by a week, some by 2 weeks. And every other team has had more friendlies than us, most have had many more. That’s why we’re behind on fitness.

Something has gone wrong in the planning or timing or both, but we are not on a level playing field compared with other sides. A world class fitness coach can’t magic a couple of weeks of work and a number of games out a hat.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 167 - 181
louth_in_the_south
September 13, 2020, 5:15pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +24 / -12
Approval: +5,656
Gold Stars: 94
There won’t be any relegation this year as at least 6 teams will go belly up I’m guessing.

Lower F5
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 168 - 181
KingstonMariner
September 13, 2020, 8:02pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.08
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from promotion plaice

Nooo......another PP on the fishy  

Joking apart good to see you back on here Kingston  

Cheers Original PP 😄

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 169 - 181
19 Pages Prev ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Match Thread - Walsall (A)

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.