Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: Chrisblor, September 12, 2020, 2:05pm
https://twitter.com/officialgtfc/status/1304766742242172928
Posted by: Poojah, September 12, 2020, 2:19pm; Reply: 1
Personally it seems a bit mad to start with an 18 year old who’s never played a league game before when you’ve got Waterfall and Pollock on the bench, but time will tell on that.

Not disputing that Idehen did well on Tuesday - it just seems like an unnecessary risk.
Posted by: 137 (Guest), September 12, 2020, 2:22pm; Reply: 2
Grimsby

1    McKeown
    22  Hewitt
    5   Öhman
    32  Idehen
    3   Preston
    26  Taylor
    4   Rose
    10  Williams
    20  Edwards
    11  Scannell
    7   Green

Substitutes

6  Waterfall
    12 Gibson
    15 Clifton
    21 Tilley
    23 Russell
    25 Pollock
    34 Boyd
Posted by: chipsandgravy, September 12, 2020, 2:22pm; Reply: 3
Quoted from Poojah
Personally it seems a bit mad to start with an 18 year old who’s never played a league game before when you’ve got Waterfall and Pollock on the bench, but time will tell on that.

Not disputing that Idehen did well on Tuesday - it just seems like an unnecessary risk.

Strange one for me as I thought Pollock's defending and passing was excellent last week but hey what do I know!!
Posted by: grimsby pete, September 12, 2020, 2:25pm; Reply: 4
Quoted from chipsandgravy

Strange one for me as I thought Pollock's defending and passing was excellent last week but hey what do I know!!

Maybe Ollie is trying shield him from unwanted attention from other clubs.
Posted by: Roast Em Bobby, September 12, 2020, 2:31pm; Reply: 5
Don't understand the centre back choices, very odd. Also Jackson Jr, Touray and Spokes not even on the bench ahead of a 15 year old seems a bit weird as well.
Posted by: 137 (Guest), September 12, 2020, 2:34pm; Reply: 6
Quoted from Roast Em Bobby
Don't understand the centre back choices, very odd. Also Jackson Jr, Touray and Spokes not even on the bench ahead of a 15 year old seems a bit weird as well.

I've a feeling we might have to get used to 'a bit wierd' with Ollie. I agree with you though.
Posted by: AdamHaddock, September 12, 2020, 2:35pm; Reply: 7
Agreed with Roast em Bobby. Do we have a midweek game we're saving these lads for?
Posted by: TownSNAFU5, September 12, 2020, 2:35pm; Reply: 8
Views expressed on Edwards were that he had pace, potential and dangerous as an impact sub.

The manager clearly has faith in him to start a game.  Ollie has also given him a big write-up.
Posted by: lee65, September 12, 2020, 2:40pm; Reply: 9
You never know whose "feeling it" a bit after such a long lay off and short pre-season
Posted by: pontoonlew, September 12, 2020, 2:46pm; Reply: 10
Quoted from lee65
You never know whose "feeling it" a bit after such a long lay off and short pre-season

The short pre season was our own doing in fairness.

Could work our really well this XI or it could be a disaster, but I can’t wait to watch it.
Posted by: StaffsMariner, September 12, 2020, 2:49pm; Reply: 11
Edwards played very well on Tuesday. Constantly looking to turn his man.
Posted by: ginnywings, September 12, 2020, 2:51pm; Reply: 12
Things very much up in the air at the moment and it will take a while for us to bed down. I say this every season but i never get too worried or excited for the first dozen games.

No doubt some will be in because they are looking sharper and/or fitter at this stage of proceedings, but i doubt this will be the side we go right through the season with. Idehen is  a strange one granted, but you never know, he may be a better prospect than Pollock for all we know. Ollie must trust him and we must trust the manager.
Posted by: Madeleymariner, September 12, 2020, 2:52pm; Reply: 13
Surprised at some options, Taylor was hardly in the game on Tuesday, one great pass a game isn't enough. Leaving Pollock out and Idehen in seems strange as Pollock by far the best player of the 22 on the pitch last weekend, But who knows what Ollie is thinking lets hope it works
Posted by: mimma, September 12, 2020, 2:56pm; Reply: 14
Ollie is making a statement to the players. If you play and do well you stay in the team. It is then up to the players that don't start to impress and if you don't perform you are out.  Keeps all players on their toes.
Posted by: moosey_club, September 12, 2020, 2:56pm; Reply: 15
I suppose IH is reinforcing the fact to the squad that if you perform you will get in the first team ....
However those that didn't do much wrong last week getting dropped might be a bit drunk off.
Posted by: crusty ole pie, September 12, 2020, 2:56pm; Reply: 16
Idehen trying to find info on him but not having much success where is he from
Posted by: ginnywings, September 12, 2020, 3:01pm; Reply: 17
Quoted from crusty ole pie

The youth team.  ;)
Posted by: Swansea_Mariner, September 12, 2020, 3:03pm; Reply: 18
I thought Ohman and Idehen both did enough to stay in, also Edwards who was fantastic on Tuesday. Disappointed Montel didn't retain his spot I thought he was the pick of the bunch really exciting prospect with a shot like a sledgehammer.

Taylor is a bit of a surprise for me I thought he was mostly anonymous on Tuesday with Clifton much better.
Posted by: WayneBurnettsJockstrap, September 12, 2020, 3:07pm; Reply: 19
Ollie must think we have world beating CB's. To have our two 'goto' CB's both on the bench has raised a few eyebrows, but who are we to question Ollie?

I think Ollie is hoping for column inches again after Boyd's midweek heroics. Grimsby and Boyds name were mentioned in the same sentence as Christiano Ronaldo, which you have to admit doesnt happen every day. I cant see any other reason to have Boyd on the bench for this match ahead of Jackson Jnr, Sisay or Spokes.

Come on lads........make some noise

(100)(groupwave1)(groupwave1)(100)
Posted by: Hagrid, September 12, 2020, 3:08pm; Reply: 20
Woeful picture
Posted by: Chrisblor, September 12, 2020, 3:11pm; Reply: 21
Quoted from crusty ole pie

https://www.pitchero.com/clubs/gtfcacademy/teams/197420/player/duncan-idehen-2378755
Posted by: pen penfras, September 12, 2020, 3:16pm; Reply: 22
Quoted from Hagrid
Woeful picture

I'm on a big telly and it's HD quality. The shadows are annoying though
Posted by: Kris2, September 12, 2020, 3:16pm; Reply: 23
Feels like they are refusing to pass to Sean Scannell unless they have to. Has he already fell out of favour with his teammates or something? 4 or 5 times he's been in loads of space and they turn away from him.
Posted by: AdamHaddock, September 12, 2020, 3:16pm; Reply: 24
Imps and Targers both 1-0 up
Posted by: Kris2, September 12, 2020, 3:19pm; Reply: 25
About 6 times now they turned away when a pass to Scannell  was on. Green right behind him and it's the logical pass but he turns away and goes inside and the ball is immediately switched to the left.
Posted by: Swansea_Mariner, September 12, 2020, 3:21pm; Reply: 26
Walsall commentator likes Edwards
Posted by: promotion plaice, September 12, 2020, 3:22pm; Reply: 27

What a poor free-kick by us
Posted by: Chrisblor, September 12, 2020, 3:23pm; Reply: 28
Who's this bore on co-commentary? Loves the sound of his own voice. Would rather have Buckley back (especially against Walsall) than suffering through this!
Posted by: lee65, September 12, 2020, 3:24pm; Reply: 29
John Ward?
Posted by: BenBB, September 12, 2020, 3:29pm; Reply: 30
Quoted from Swansea_Mariner
Walsall commentator likes Edwards

Unless you're listening to the Walsall commentary on purpose if you click the cog in the bottom right you can switch to Humberside/Grimsby commentary.
Posted by: Chrisblor, September 12, 2020, 3:30pm; Reply: 31
Really like the look of Edwards. Seems like a clever player and a big handful for defenders
Posted by: Swansea_Mariner, September 12, 2020, 3:30pm; Reply: 32
Quoted from BenBB

Unless you're listening to the Walsall commentary on purpose if you click the cog in the bottom right you can switch to Humberside/Grimsby commentary.

Lol I didn't know that cheers! They do like our Edwards though, they don't think we got much else.

Time to switch
Posted by: Mayaman, September 12, 2020, 3:31pm; Reply: 33
Not impressed with Taylor.  Goes square too much
Posted by: Hagrid, September 12, 2020, 3:31pm; Reply: 34
Back 4 looking solid. Edwards a real threat
Posted by: Sammo, September 12, 2020, 3:31pm; Reply: 35
Quoted from Chrisblor
Who's this bore on co-commentary? Loves the sound of his own voice. Would rather have Buckley back (especially against Walsall) than suffering through this!

John Ward
Posted by: Marinerdan, September 12, 2020, 3:33pm; Reply: 36
Macca’s distribution seems to be much quicker.
Posted by: Gaffer58, September 12, 2020, 3:38pm; Reply: 37
YEEES, GOAL, oh sorry scunny 1-0;down to Newport
Posted by: mimma, September 12, 2020, 3:38pm; Reply: 38
The commentary is absolutely awful🥱
Posted by: promotion plaice, September 12, 2020, 3:40pm; Reply: 39

Good block by their player
Posted by: promotion plaice, September 12, 2020, 3:43pm; Reply: 40

As the sun gets lower the shadows will get bigger second-half   ??)
Posted by: Sammo, September 12, 2020, 3:43pm; Reply: 41
Quoted from mimma
The commentary is absolutely awful🥱

Agree listening to Tondeur and Ward would be great treatment for insomnia.
Posted by: Swansea_Mariner, September 12, 2020, 3:44pm; Reply: 42
Lol Darren Clarke is an angry man
Posted by: BenBB, September 12, 2020, 3:46pm; Reply: 43
Ref's having a nice stroll.
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, September 12, 2020, 3:49pm; Reply: 44
Quoted from promotion plaice

As the sun gets lower the shadows will get bigger second-half   ??)

I just hope cliff isn’t imposing too
Posted by: BenBB, September 12, 2020, 3:50pm; Reply: 45
Seems very scrappy at the moment.
Posted by: cardiffmariner, September 12, 2020, 3:51pm; Reply: 46
Strong half from Town in a fairly even game. Look confident on the ball and there’s been some promising passages of play. Ohman good at the back and Green doing well with hold up/link up play. Edwards always dangerous, would like to see us get Scanell more consistently in the game.
Posted by: BenBB, September 12, 2020, 3:52pm; Reply: 47
Think the camera person is doing some adjustments right now as they zoom in and out...
Posted by: Kris2, September 12, 2020, 3:53pm; Reply: 48
Walsall started well and pressed us without looking too much threat,won a lot of corners. We've come back into the game more but neither side has really looked like scoring. Seem to be having problems stringing passes together and a lack of communication almost cost us a goal a couple of times.
Posted by: promotion plaice, September 12, 2020, 3:53pm; Reply: 49

As it stands we are above Scunny tonight, where's that other thread   ;D
Posted by: pontoonlew, September 12, 2020, 3:58pm; Reply: 50
Real 50/50 game, was concerned in the first 15 mins but we really grew into it and we seem to break away at a decent pace but just lack that final ball.

Green has worked hard but we really need a better outlet, been very impressed with Edwards and Rose. Hewitt has been good going forward but looks suspect defensively.

The biggest concern is how tired we looked in the last 5 mins.
Posted by: Oly1987, September 12, 2020, 3:59pm; Reply: 51
If i read it correctly the other day doesn't a certain amount of the team that play in the efl trophy have to have played in the game before or after. If this is is the case then Ollie mightve had to pick some of the team based off the Tuesday match as iirc only hewitt and clifton played the match before and Ollie could be looking to avoid a fine?
Posted by: Davec, September 12, 2020, 4:01pm; Reply: 52
We started very slowly with Walsall well on top but we have slowly grown into the game, Edwards certainly looks our most likely player to create something, Scannell is working hard but I have noticed how nobody is passing to him, even when he is the easiest and best placed option they do anything but to pass him, why is that? Idehen has done well so far, a few moments hsowing his inexperience in the final few minues of first half but overall he has done well I think and he seems comfortable on the ball.
Posted by: Mayaman, September 12, 2020, 4:02pm; Reply: 53

As it stands we are above Scunny tonight, where's that other thread   ;D

Is this what to aspire to these days?  

Posted by: Madeleymariner, September 12, 2020, 4:02pm; Reply: 54
Holding our own Ludo winning nearly everything in the air. Despite some neat play and nifty passing we havn't really created a proper chance yet, final ball has generally been awful.
Posted by: sonofmadeleymariner, September 12, 2020, 4:03pm; Reply: 55
What did Edwards get booked for? We've got picture but no sound at all.

As for that half, Walsall Are playing like Taylor side, lots of fouls to stop us building any momentum, pressing high and moving the ball well on the deck.

We've been poor this half. Our passing has been awful, every time we get something going the final ball is terrible add the that Walsalls small niggling fouls to break up our play we've not got a rythem going. Green has been hit and miss, he's either the recipient of a bad ball or he's behind the play and not where he's supposed to be. They're trying to bully Edwards every chance they get he's shown flashes but they're applying alot of pressure on him. Ohman has been brilliant again, the midfield three aren't really in the game and the same for Scannell who's not even feeding off scraps this game.

The ref had a great opeing 30 minutes I though then for the last 15 hes slipped, missed a couple of blatant fould and a couple of extra yellow cards.

Heres hoping Olly gives them a kick up the backside and for a better 2nd half of football.
Posted by: 139881 (Guest), September 12, 2020, 4:05pm; Reply: 56
Nervy first 15 mins but looked to be better as it went on... Scannell/Ludvig both playing well so far
Posted by: GrimRob, September 12, 2020, 4:05pm; Reply: 57
Bit if a slow start but we improved as the half went on, or maybe it was because I switched to the away commentary. Adebayo had the best chance for them right at the end.
Posted by: moosey_club, September 12, 2020, 4:06pm; Reply: 58
Pretty disjointed showing, unsurprisingly given the line up and lack of game time for all.
Seems to be quite a large hole/ gap in midfield despite us having three central midfielders. Taylor and William's not showing me a great deal for my money.
Back four coping ok but with just a single striker then I hope they would.
Ohman has brought the ball out well at times and then popped up around the box.
Green probably too deep to make the front three system work, we end up being isolated going forward.
Clean sheet so  so far so good as far as that goes. No goal threat though.
Posted by: Mayaman, September 12, 2020, 4:15pm; Reply: 59
Green started the second half well.  Nice skill to get a decent shot on goal.
Posted by: BenBB, September 12, 2020, 4:22pm; Reply: 60
Damn. 1-0 Walsall
Posted by: Mayaman, September 12, 2020, 4:22pm; Reply: 61
Shocking defending.
Posted by: promotion plaice, September 12, 2020, 4:23pm; Reply: 62

What a scrappy goal for them   :-/
Posted by: Hagrid, September 12, 2020, 4:23pm; Reply: 63
Macca Has to come for that long ball over the top. Idehen didnt get to the big man in the middle
Posted by: Chrisblor, September 12, 2020, 4:24pm; Reply: 64
Very nice of Rose in the lead up there failing to make any sort of effort to win the ball back or pressure an attacker. Should be doing far more than lazily backing off with his reputation.
Posted by: OllieGTFC, September 12, 2020, 4:24pm; Reply: 65
Poor goal to give away, holloway out 😂😂😂
Posted by: cardiffmariner, September 12, 2020, 4:25pm; Reply: 66
Bit more running off the ball needed when our midfield have the ball in the final third. All a static, allowing Walsall to get set up defensively.
Posted by: BenBB, September 12, 2020, 4:27pm; Reply: 67
Quoted from OllieGTFC
Poor goal to give away, holloway out 😂😂😂

Says Ollie(GTFC) 😂
Posted by: promotion plaice, September 12, 2020, 4:28pm; Reply: 68

Playing only the likes of Cleethorpes pre-season seems to be catching up with us.
Posted by: Kris2, September 12, 2020, 4:38pm; Reply: 69
We are behind and we keep passing around our own box like we have time to waste
Posted by: Hagrid, September 12, 2020, 4:39pm; Reply: 70
Some tired legs. I have to question why we are bringing on a 15 year old when tilley on the bench?
Posted by: promotion plaice, September 12, 2020, 4:39pm; Reply: 71

Genuine question, I couldn't get the first 15 mins.

How many shots on target have we had?
Posted by: LH, September 12, 2020, 4:40pm; Reply: 72
It’s making my legs tired just watching.
Posted by: sonofmadeleymariner, September 12, 2020, 4:41pm; Reply: 73

Genuine question, I couldn't get the first 15 mins.

How many shots on target have we had?

About 3 I recon
Posted by: Chrisblor, September 12, 2020, 4:42pm; Reply: 74
Edwards has faded badly this half. Seems to either fall over or lose control every time the ball comes to him.
Posted by: HertsGTFC, September 12, 2020, 4:42pm; Reply: 75
The 2 home commentators on I follow are a right pair off knob heads they’re trying to make Walsall sound like Brazil.

Town looking really tired now.
Posted by: sonofmadeleymariner, September 12, 2020, 4:43pm; Reply: 76
The 2nd half has been worse then the first, we've not been good enough at all, we're just getting tireder and tireder and making no ground at all.
Posted by: Kris2, September 12, 2020, 4:44pm; Reply: 77
Lacked the omph we saw in the Morcambe game, Scannell not getting the same service and having to defend just to touch the ball when he was a big outlet for us in the last game he was in. Lots of aimless passing around and not creating chances. We've defended well but the attacking has been lacking in much movement and vision.
Posted by: Swansea_Mariner, September 12, 2020, 4:47pm; Reply: 78
Quoted from Hagrid
Some tired legs. I have to question why we are bringing on a 15 year old when tilley on the bench?

It's a bit ridiculous really you'd go with either Clifton or Tilley surely, I mean you're sticking him in there with a 19 year old whose making his own league debut.
Posted by: promotion plaice, September 12, 2020, 4:53pm; Reply: 79

Should've been 2-0 to them, it's going to be a long season on this showing.
Posted by: BenBB, September 12, 2020, 4:54pm; Reply: 80
Oft unlucky Tilley
Posted by: promotion plaice, September 12, 2020, 4:55pm; Reply: 81

Should've been 2-0 to them, it's going to be a long season on this showing.

Commentators curse....we hit the post   ;D

Posted by: ginnywings, September 12, 2020, 4:55pm; Reply: 82
I'm all for youth, but playing a 15 year old in a league 2 game is a bit too strange a decision for me, especially when we have signed a load of strikers. Surely one of them could have given 30 mins as a sub?
Posted by: Sammo, September 12, 2020, 4:56pm; Reply: 83
Unlucky from Tilley
Posted by: BenBB, September 12, 2020, 4:57pm; Reply: 84
Think Mckeown's getting bored of being a keeper. Taking penalties, in their box at the end just there 😂
Posted by: TownSNAFU5, September 12, 2020, 4:57pm; Reply: 85
BBC gives us 59% possession.
Posted by: promotion plaice, September 12, 2020, 4:57pm; Reply: 86

FT.....Walsall 1-0 Town   :o
Posted by: Stockport Mariner, September 12, 2020, 4:58pm; Reply: 87
Odd team selection imo. We played some tidy football, but we look lightweight upfront without Hanson. Hardly won a header in the box.
Posted by: pontoonlew, September 12, 2020, 4:58pm; Reply: 88
Desperately frustrating because I thought we were decent for parts but fitness was the difference. Walsall managed to have a pre season, we did not.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, September 12, 2020, 4:59pm; Reply: 89
Lack of stamina.
Posted by: Stadium, September 12, 2020, 4:59pm; Reply: 90
Quoted from HertsGTFC
The 2 home commentators on I follow are a right pair off knob heads they’re trying to make Walsall sound like Brazil.

Town looking really tired now.

Just imagine JT injecting positivity into his commentary.

Posted by: golfer, September 12, 2020, 4:59pm; Reply: 91
Why was Green substituted - i thought he was having his best game for a long time - didn't think he was injured or tiring
Posted by: mimma, September 12, 2020, 5:00pm; Reply: 92
Quoted from ginnywings
I'm all for youth, but playing a 15 year old in a league 2 game is a bit too strange a decision for me, especially when we have signed a load of strikers. Surely one of them could have given 30 mins as a sub?

Idehen had a good game,  maybe MOM. Looks composed, doesn't panic good on the ball, wins all his duels. Considering his age, he played well.
Posted by: Mariner93er, September 12, 2020, 5:00pm; Reply: 93
They were better than us and it could've been more. Absolutely crazy that we're throwing a 15 year old on the pitch when we have better players on the bench. That's no dig at the lad, but really, was he ever going to change the game?

Also an odd decision to start Idehen. He played well overall but he's not better than Pollock and he had a bad spell around their goal.
Posted by: jonnyboy82, September 12, 2020, 5:00pm; Reply: 94
Frustrating is the word i would use today, we have the potential but we can't expect to win games by giving the ball away and we had an obsession of running to the corner flag when we had the ball.

Some promising signs in edwards but a big improvement needed going forward.
Posted by: moosey_club, September 12, 2020, 5:01pm; Reply: 95
Formation didnt work for us in an attacking sense, never got going, side not physically strong enough, never got a grip in midfield.

Ohman very good game, Idehen looked good, Edward's overcooked it at times.

Midfield too similar to offer any variation so therefore too predictable.
Posted by: GrimRob, September 12, 2020, 5:01pm; Reply: 96
We didn't deserve anything but Macca kept us in the game and we almost nicked it at the end. It's 90 mins under our belts.Going to need a few games to get the players to the position where 8 or more of them can last 90.
Posted by: Madeleymariner, September 12, 2020, 5:02pm; Reply: 97
Result no surprise started to look leggy  midway through 2nd half. They had a plan to stop diagonals ie tall fullbacks and kicked our more skillful players if they ever looked like doing anything and totally nulified edwards 2nd half. Only 2 real shots in 94 mins, (one in injury time) lots of work to do to make this anything but a lower mid table team. PS thought Ohman was superb.
Posted by: Boris Johnson, September 12, 2020, 5:02pm; Reply: 98
Quoted from pontoonlew
Desperately frustrating because I thought we were decent for parts but fitness was the difference. Walsall managed to have a pre season, we did not.

This of course will be Holloway's excuse, but Im assuming Watefall and Pollock where not as fit as others?  If they were fit, this is shocking management

Taylor is a load of excrement, Williams the same.

Posted by: Hagrid, September 12, 2020, 5:04pm; Reply: 99
Quoted from Boris Johnson

This of course will be Holloway's excuse, but Im assuming Watefall and Pollock where not as fit as others?  If they were fit, this is shocking management

Thats it write them off after game 1. The tiredness i agree is a worry, we looked dead after 60 mins. The goal i really think Macca got to come for it- the long ball that led to the goal- and Idehen didnt stay with his man hence an easy tap in. Subs were baffling. I cant understand a 15 year old coming on and i dont think he touched it? Green should have stayed on alongside gibson. We’re a good few weeks away from
Being ready
Posted by: chipsandgravy, September 12, 2020, 5:05pm; Reply: 100
Quoted from ginnywings

Absolutely agree especially when the game was crying out for a bit of Cliftons eneregy!!
Posted by: Madeleymariner, September 12, 2020, 5:05pm; Reply: 101
Quoted from mimma

Idehen had a good game,  maybe MOM. Looks composed, doesn't panic good on the ball, wins all his duels. Considering his age, he played well.

No not really MOM at all, he was OK, did well for his age and experience, but bullied by their strikers who obviously targetted him with lots of jumping in on high balls.
Posted by: ginnywings, September 12, 2020, 5:06pm; Reply: 102

Your usual tactful self i see. 1 game in and you've already decided 2 players are sh1t. One has very little experience, the other feeling his way back into the game after a serious injury.

Sheesh!
Posted by: Teesknees, September 12, 2020, 5:08pm; Reply: 103

I must remember to skip past your posts as what you put as it's usually a load of bollox! You're an idiot!!
Posted by: Northbank Mariner, September 12, 2020, 5:11pm; Reply: 104
Looked like a team of strangers, getting in each others way and gave the ball away far too often trying deft chips that weren't coming off.
Do worry where our goals are coming from this season, Gibson offside too much and needs to learn to read the game better.
And, if I'm brutally honest, Rose is nowhere near as good as Hessenthailer was at protecting the defence.
Hate to say it but based on that this season is going to be a slog, one thing I do think is we have a solid defence, be it today's back 4 or with Pollock and waterfall. We move on..
Posted by: sonofmadeleymariner, September 12, 2020, 5:11pm; Reply: 105
We were poor today, Walsall out played us, never let us get going, passed the ball round us when they wanted to. Lots of poor individual performances really disappointing after the last two games
Posted by: Boris Johnson, September 12, 2020, 5:11pm; Reply: 106
Quoted from ginnywings

Your usual tactful self i see. 1 game in and you've already decided 2 players are sh1t. One has very little experience, the other feeling his way back into the game after a serious injury.

Sheesh!

Excuses only go so far, there is an element about Holloway that worries me.  Every side has been in the same position re lockdown/squad fitness etc. etc.  There were better players on the bench, and unless they were not fit, then thats a poor team selection. If your fit enough for the bench. you are fit to play.  Yes we have had to go shopping at Poundland, and bring some kids into the squad i accept that, but he did not play his strongest team available.  Its a fair question to ask why
Posted by: Croxton, September 12, 2020, 5:14pm; Reply: 107
Gibson is not a central attacker whereas Scannell has played there. Williams so disappointing. Harry or Tilley needed to be on much earlier. Pointless use of Boyd.
Are they told to pass it around in our own box when losing? Just how unfit are Jackson and Sissay if Gibson is judged to be more ready? Well done Ludvig, Idehen, Edwards and Hewitt for your 94 minutes endeavour.
Posted by: ginnywings, September 12, 2020, 5:14pm; Reply: 108
Disappointing but not unexpected result. Think our lack of fitness is a concern, especially as all other teams have had the same problems to contend with as we have, but we are clearly behind other sides in that regard. Gonna take a while to bed everyone in and get a settled side working together.
Posted by: PaceyMariner, September 12, 2020, 5:17pm; Reply: 109

Never ceases to amaze me the amount of people who watch football, but haven’t a clue about it.

I’d take up another hobby pal, cos you clearly no nothing about football!
Posted by: Boris Johnson, September 12, 2020, 5:17pm; Reply: 110
Quoted from ginnywings
Disappointing but not unexpected result. Think our lack of fitness is a concern, especially as all other teams have had the same problems to contend with as we have, but we are clearly behind other sides in that regard. Gonna take a while to bed everyone in and get a settled side working together.

why are we so far behind on fitness? You have called me out on a previous post, but there should be no difference in fitness levels whatsoever at this stage of the season.
Posted by: Boris Johnson, September 12, 2020, 5:18pm; Reply: 111
Quoted from PaceyMariner

Never ceases to amaze me the amount of people who watch football, but haven’t a clue about it.

I’d take up another hobby pal, cos you clearly no nothing about football!

and you do i take it?
Posted by: ginnywings, September 12, 2020, 5:19pm; Reply: 112

Excuses only go so far, there is an element about Holloway that worries me.  Every side has been in the same position re lockdown/squad fitness etc. etc. There were better players on the bench, and unless they were not fit, then thats a poor team selection. If your fit enough for the bench. you are fit to play.  Yes we have had to go shopping at Poundland, and bring some kids into the squad i accept that, but he did not play his strongest team available.  Its a fair question to ask why

That bit i agree with but we are where we are right now. Those sh!t players you picked on may be playing brilliantly in a month or two. 1 game is not enough to judge, give it 10 or more.

As for shopping at Poundland. All teams have the same budget, so there is an element of padding out squads with youth and loanees for all sides.
Posted by: Hagrid, September 12, 2020, 5:19pm; Reply: 113
We’ve started late. And its going to cost us in these first few weeks, when we did actually get forward though in those final few moments we looked a threat. Dont know why we was pissing about passing it around the back
Posted by: Garth, September 12, 2020, 5:19pm; Reply: 114
If that had been Hurst, Slade or the stockbrokers team they would have been crucified, poorest start fitness wise we ever been, hmmm!
Posted by: Mariner93er, September 12, 2020, 5:23pm; Reply: 115
Actually don’t feel to discouraged by the game. Clearly fitness is a worry but I think we have a good range of players once they do get up to speed.

Was impressed with Terry Taylor. Happy receiving the ball, and in the second half, picked out some good passes. Edwards is going to be a love hate relationship I think. He goes from being our most threatening player to almost hindering us when he gets tired. Just needs to work on his judgement and end product (very similar to Dembele).
Posted by: Mariner93er, September 12, 2020, 5:25pm; Reply: 116
PS, really winds me up those complaining about it passing around the back, probably the same ones who are moaning when we hoof it forward. Who did we have up top who we could get it up to quickly?
Posted by: promotion plaice, September 12, 2020, 5:33pm; Reply: 117

I'm trying to stay positive but the trouble is we are going to be well behind the top teams when it all comes together.

Then again Ollie still has that "hairs on the back of your neck" signing to come yet so all is not lost.

Posted by: denni266, September 12, 2020, 5:45pm; Reply: 118
Not sure what to think realy.. if we are not fit enough that is down to IH. not enough practice games , and the ones we had was basicaly againt the dog and duck.. sending a team out that has  hardly any experiance against an established second div pro team is madness  expecting a miracle is stupid . No what you would call a in form or good striker in the team and a manager who is not interested in Bogle . jury is still out for me with IH. Director or not  either buck up and deliver or you will go the same way as the others
Posted by: dicko995, September 12, 2020, 5:46pm; Reply: 119
Think we need to do what Laurie Mac did, and get them on the beach for an hours run, lack of fitness showing, never seen players that knackered after 60 minutes, they need to build stamina up, not prepared at all.
Posted by: Sammo, September 12, 2020, 5:51pm; Reply: 120
I think the lack of practice games/friendlies is going to hinder us for the first few weeks of the season, players looked very tired towards the end of the game.

Defensively I thought we looked solid especially Ohman but going forward we offered very little, need to bring a striker in as what we have is not going to have us challenging.

Cant see is struggling but cannot see us challenging just yet, hope I'm wrong!
Posted by: Jarmo.Is.God, September 12, 2020, 5:52pm; Reply: 121
I thought Green did well today, and we looked lost when Gibson replaced him.
Feel like people have it ready to slate him instantly, but won't mention him doing very well with 3/4 around him and got a good shot away in the 2nd half
Idehan is so confident in playing at his feet, and will have a bright future

You have to remember these have not played together much
Normally teams have 5-6 games for fitness, and better understanding of each other. I understand other teams have similar problems, but it won't help!

We've got 5/6 players missing, so i think we will see changes each game for the next 7/8 games which won't help

Hope for top half / play offs
Expect mid table
Dont worry about relegation
Posted by: BenBB, September 12, 2020, 5:53pm; Reply: 122
Ollie's interview is out on BBC Sounds: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/p08r96gq
Posted by: GrimRob, September 12, 2020, 5:53pm; Reply: 123
Quoted from Hagrid
We’ve started late. And its going to cost us in these first few weeks, when we did actually get forward though in those final few moments we looked a threat. Dont know why we was pissing about passing it around the back

I think that's grasping at straws to be honest. They deserved to be more than 1-0 up and they didn't do a very good job of "game management" and failed to kill the game off and run the clock down. There'll be a lot better teams we have to face coming up who'll make sure of the points earlier than they did in a similar situation.
Posted by: arryarryarry, September 12, 2020, 5:54pm; Reply: 124
We were poor today, Walsall out played us, never let us get going, passed the ball round us when they wanted to. Lots of poor individual performances really disappointing after the last two games

I don't think Walsall particularly out played us, I thought it looked like 2 ordinary sides.

First half neither side created anything worthwhile. Second half they looked a bit more dangerous but their goal came from poor defending.

I was disappointed in the midfield, plenty of possession but no real creativity. The lack of chances is a worry.

I thought the ref was pretty cack at times not stamping out their constant fouling.

Next week will be an interesting game against one of the so called favourites.
Posted by: Stadium, September 12, 2020, 6:00pm; Reply: 125
Quoted from dicko995
Think we need to do what Laurie Mac did, and get them on the beach for an hours run, lack of fitness showing, never seen players that knackered after 60 minutes, they need to build stamina up, not prepared at all.

Do you what year it is??
Beach runs haha...
Posted by: grimps, September 12, 2020, 6:05pm; Reply: 126
Quoted from BenBB
Ollie's interview is out on BBC Sounds: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/p08r96gq

I can’t see Ollie getting any promotional work for Ifollow now 😂
Posted by: chipsandgravy, September 12, 2020, 6:06pm; Reply: 127

Way over the top as usual!
Posted by: mimma, September 12, 2020, 6:06pm; Reply: 128
Have the Walsall team been together longer than ours? We have brought in nearly the whole team, some of which have only been here a few weeks, what was you expecting today?  It looked like they have been together longer than us, fitness wise,and knowing each other. That to me was the big difference.
Posted by: PaceyMariner, September 12, 2020, 6:12pm; Reply: 129

and you do i take it?

I know enough not to call 2 new players to the club, excrement. One who is a raw 19 year old and another who is clearly not match fit. Both who have hardly had a chance to get used to their new teammates, especially in these unprecedented times. Give them a chance. Support them. Calling players excrement after one game is not exactly helpful is it?

We are all Town fans here. Let’s get behind them and try not to judge after ONE game.
Posted by: PaceyMariner, September 12, 2020, 6:18pm; Reply: 130
Quoted from mimma
Have the Walsall team been together longer than ours? We have brought in nearly the whole team, some of which have only been here a few weeks, what was you expecting today?  It looked like they have been together longer than us, fitness wise,and knowing each other. That to me was the big difference.

I accidentally listened to the Walsall commentary in the first half and it was mentioned that it was the first time in years that they did not have one player making their debut on the first day of the season. So that explains a lot in my opinion.
Posted by: Mariner_501, September 12, 2020, 6:45pm; Reply: 131
Red Cross brigade unite!!! But Holloway is gonna be outed as a fraud by the time he leaves. Talks a good game but decisions on par with Bignot bingo, and why sign 3 strikers if they’re no better than a 4 goal a season striker you already have?
Posted by: moosey_club, September 12, 2020, 6:46pm; Reply: 132
Quoted from Hagrid

Because the midfield were fcked and had stopped coming to collect it and smashing it from front to back without anyone who can hold the ball up or win the headers is pointless.
Posted by: WesternMariner, September 12, 2020, 6:51pm; Reply: 133
Quoted from Mariner_501
Red Cross brigade unite!!! But Holloway is gonna be outed as a fraud by the time he leaves. Talks a good game but decisions on par with Bignot bingo, and why sign 3 strikers if they’re no better than a 4 goal a season striker you already have?

I’m not going to give you the credit of a Red Cross mate, you may be trolling or just talking out of your @rse only you know which. First proper game of the season after extraordinary set of circumstances has disrupted preparations so that both tactically and fitness wise the squad are at least two weeks off ready and you’re pressing the eject button? Get a grip.
Posted by: MuddyWaters, September 12, 2020, 6:52pm; Reply: 134
Worth noting we had 7 league debutants to their 0.
Posted by: Stadium, September 12, 2020, 6:54pm; Reply: 135
Quoted from Mariner_501

One league game.
Think about that......
Posted by: golfer, September 12, 2020, 7:14pm; Reply: 136

How have other teams been able to sign players earlier and get them fit enough to last 90 mins.Was Olly sat on his bottom

while other managers were doing their stuff signing players and arranging practice games or was he banking on the league starting even later. Today for all the players endeavour it just showed today how far we are behind - Olly's slipped up big time and it's no good saying " Let's see how we are after 10 games "  Excuses don't win games and poor substitutions definitely don't.
Posted by: pen penfras, September 12, 2020, 7:19pm; Reply: 137
Slagging off Taylor? He won so many tackles in that game. Plays it sideways a bit too much, but clearly has a good range of passing from his two outings so far and battles well.

Williams had some nice touches early on, but looks way off being fit enough.

I have no idea why we're so unfit. It's been about 6 weeks since it was announced that we're starting and even without friendlies we should be better than this.
Posted by: pontoonlew, September 12, 2020, 7:30pm; Reply: 138
Quoted from Mariner_501

He’s already after a striker and signed 3 for the price of the 2 that left. Can’t fault him for that.
Posted by: grimps, September 12, 2020, 7:39pm; Reply: 139
Quoted from golfer

How have other teams been able to sign players earlier and get them fit enough to last 90 mins.Was Olly sat on his bottom

while other managers were doing their stuff signing players and arranging practice games or was he banking on the league starting even later. Today for all the players endeavour it just showed today how far we are behind - Olly's slipped up big time and it's no good saying " Let's see how we are after 10 games "  Excuses don't win games and poor substitutions definitely don't.

Over the last 10-15 years we’ve always been late singing players in the close season
Posted by: Ipswin, September 12, 2020, 7:51pm; Reply: 140
Quoted from grimps

Over the last 10-15 years we’ve always been late singing players in the close season

Could explain why we have been excrement for last 10-15 years, can't we sign footballers instead of singers FFS

Posted by: denni266, September 12, 2020, 7:55pm; Reply: 141
Quoted from grimps

This is probably because the club where penny pinching as usual and wont sign players untill the last minute to save wages . And that costs us points from lack of fitness and of playing together
Posted by: HertsGTFC, September 12, 2020, 8:25pm; Reply: 142
We’re well undercooked fitness wise and that showed today as the mid field where chasing most of the game.

Good stuff.....

The lads worked hard and never gave up I don’t think anyone had a shocker but indeed nobody stood out.

Bad stuff.....

From dead ball situations really clueless, in the last 3rd we looked very weak.

Walsall looked just about ready for the first league game we looked like we where ready to play the first pre season friendly versus decent opposition.

We can’t afford one but we desperately need a ball player in mid field and a proper number 10.

Seen enough to tell me we’ll not really struggle but it will be a really mixed bag week in week out.

UTM!!
Posted by: Mayaman, September 13, 2020, 2:27am; Reply: 143
Not sure I was watching the same game.  Not much to write home about.  The midfield was practically absent.  Edwards did well the first half but in the second he just kept running the ball into touch.  Matt Green was having a good game but then was substituted - I really couldn't work that out.  Where's Max Wright?

I don't like the fitness excuse.  The team knew when the season would start.  Besides that a soldier doesn't compromise on his fitness because there's no war. The players are paid to keep fit. Morecambe looked fitter than us and so did Walsall.  They have had the same limitations as we had.  It's simply not good enough.
Posted by: louth_in_the_south, September 13, 2020, 4:24am; Reply: 144
I really hate myself for saying this but I don’t give a fook about this season. First game of the season I’m there . Doesn’t matter where . I’m there . Not this year . Didn’t even look at the score till half time. Bit gutted to see Walsall had scored but not that bothered like usual . Was hoping we’d get the equaliser but not that bothered we didn’t.
Football without fans is just sh.ite  . We are football and without fans it’s just a non event .
Posted by: arryarryarry, September 13, 2020, 4:32am; Reply: 145
Quoted from Mayaman
Not sure I was watching the same game.  Not much to write home about.  The midfield was practically absent.  Edwards did well the first half but in the second he just kept running the ball into touch.  Matt Green was having a good game but then was substituted - I really couldn't work that out.  Where's Max Wright?

I don't like the fitness excuse.  The team knew when the season would start.  Besides that a soldier doesn't compromise on his fitness because there's no war. The players are paid to keep fit. Morecambe looked fitter than us and so did Walsall.  They have had the same limitations as we had.  It's simply not good enough.

Injured, could be out for a couple of months according to IH.
Posted by: GollyGTFC, September 13, 2020, 7:25am; Reply: 146
I thought we looked terrible. Could be a long boring season in lower mid-table (14th-18th). We definitely need a younger, more mobile striker with experience.
Posted by: friskneymariner, September 13, 2020, 7:59am; Reply: 147
Don't know what match people were watching but I find it hard to draw many positives from that,passing was awful,mid field lightweight and overrun ,there was no join up plan of attack,very lucky to only concede one.Badly missed Hansen,going to be a very long season,we need experienced mid fielder who can win the ball and create attacks.Think it is going to be a very long season.
Posted by: aldi_01, September 13, 2020, 9:03am; Reply: 148
It may only be the first game but it was hard to find a positive, we hit the post in the last minute but other than that it wasn’t great.

My worry is, how long are we going to bleat on about not being fit, having a fragmented pre season and the like? By the time we’re up to speed we’ll have been cut adrift...

Every other club has been in a similar situation, yet they all seemed to cope. I’d say Walsall and Morecambe both seemed to have a consistent level of fitness throughout the match whereas we were dead on our feet after an hour. Again, we’ve heard snippets to suggest that players brought in are still a long way from the first team, why is that? We brought on a 15 year old lad when we were chasing the game. Fair play to the lad but are we in danger of killing him off too?

The negativity and acceptance and excuse making is symptomatic of the leadership of the club. We hear nothing positive and that begins to cascade. I believe 100% the playing staff want to win but blaming a lack of fitness can’t simply be the excuse for a few weeks.

We lacked any idea up front and the bright spark up there was taken off. Scannell looks decent, the centre half pairing wasn’t excrement but even as someone who is often critical of Waterfall can see that he and Pollock are a much better pairing.

We can moan about a ball playing midi fielder but aside from Embleton and Nolan I’m not sure we’ve had one for a while.

This season is gonna be odd to say the least and we can’t predict what will happen. Some are saying they’re not bothered, that’s fine but does that mean you’re happy to finish bottom and go out of the league back in to the abyss? Just being happy we exist isn’t enough. The season has started and we have to take it serious.

Next week won’t be easy either, let’s hope they put the hours and effort in in training and come up with a plan, something that appeared to be lacking yesterday.
Posted by: louth_in_the_south, September 13, 2020, 9:20am; Reply: 149
Not bothered
Posted by: jamesgtfc, September 13, 2020, 9:24am; Reply: 150
Holloway has gone on record to state that our fitness coach is phenomenal. To me, that doesn't add up when we are blowing after 60 minutes.
Posted by: devs, September 13, 2020, 9:32am; Reply: 151
Seven debutants yesterday
Several not been at the club very long
Those who were released at end of season and now at GTFC not had full-on training schedule
Non-league lads will find this a huge step up in terms of fitness and professionalism
We haven't got our best and most experienced striker

It will take at least 8-10 games to be anywhere near IMO - it's bloody frustrating cos we never seem to get off to a flyer

We need to be the one thing alot of people on here aren't - patient

Good news is back five looked very solid and good - apart from the one bit of sloppiness

Posted by: ginnywings, September 13, 2020, 9:43am; Reply: 152
Quoted from devs
Those who were released at end of season and now at GTFC not had full-on training schedule
Non-league lads will find this a huge step up in terms of fitness and professionalism

It will take at least 8-10 games to be anywhere near IMO - it's bloody frustrating cos we never seem to get off to a flyer

Good news is back five looked very solid and good - apart from the one bit of sloppiness

Been hearing that phrase for about 15 years. Yeah i know, we are re-building... ::)
Posted by: jonnyboy82, September 13, 2020, 10:16am; Reply: 153
For me it was quite simple, yesterday showed how much we missed a pre season.

Simple as that really.
Posted by: pen penfras, September 13, 2020, 10:33am; Reply: 154
Wow, there's some real mood hoovers about. We weren't very good, but we weren't much worse than them.

On balance, the better team won. But they only made a couple more chances than we did, and had Green not been fouled several times when he turned their defender, he might have got a better shot away. We hit the post and just missed out on a draw.

Mckeown made a couple of good saves.
Hewitt did ok, put one or two lovely balls into the box, but Matt Green on his own against 3 defenders is a big ask.
Preston looks solid and has a decent left foot
Ohman was fantastic, my MOM
Idehen looked very good and coped well with a tricky forward. Had a couple of blips, but Pollock does every week and we rave about him.
Rose looks good but unfit.
Taylor was getting his foot in everywhere, helped out Hewitt really well. Has a good pass but plays it square a little often.
Williams had a couple of lovely touches and passes early on, but tired very quickly.
Edwards looked dangerous until he got frustrated and ended up getting in the way or trying to do too much.
Scannell looks like he'll be very good when he's got a few matches under his belt.
Green led the line well and battled well. He's not a target man but effort is fantastic and could have scored if he wasn't pulled back.

The Harrogate team we outplayed on Tuesday won 4-0.

I think there's enough positive signs to get behind the team. I don't expect we're going to challenge this season, but it's hard to know how good anybody is at this stage, particularly this season. Our late signings might actually help us get better players than we would usually be able to with the window closing soon and lots of players still unemployed. I certainly wouldn't have dreamt of getting Scannell
Posted by: friskneymariner, September 13, 2020, 11:02am; Reply: 155
Quoted from devs

Good news is back five looked very solid and good - apart from the one bit of sloppiness.

So you are quite happy to squander 24-30 points whilst we are up to speed then,those points could be very importan t at the end of the season.
Posted by: aldi_01, September 13, 2020, 11:11am; Reply: 156
But the time our excuse of needing 6-8 weeks to get up to speed runs it’s course we could be well cut adrift.

We can argue whether or not Walsall were much better than us until we’re blue isn’t he face, fact is, the beat us. They had one chance and scored and for the remaining half an hour of the game were pretty much in control...because they weren’t dead on their feet.

We’ve all had the same length of pre season so why are some teams seemingly much fitter.

I suppose some people aren’t bothered and perhaps when we’re in a relegation fight they still won’t be but in the cold light of day, regardless of the sheer lack of ambition by the board to progress, I can’t imagine anyone brought or thought about bringing holloway in to keep us up.

Like some have said, there were some positives, namely scannell looking lively, Green did a job until he was taken off, Tilley looked half decent when he came on but other than that it was pretty excrement.
Posted by: 123614 (Guest), September 13, 2020, 11:14am; Reply: 157
So, once again the usual suspects turn up and start slagging off the team after 1 League match.  Amazes me how many people think they know better than the manager who has many years of experience behind him.  Do they know what is going on behind the scenes.....no they don't.  

Just because your team won everything in Football Manager doesn't make you a football expert.  I just don't understand some of you 'so called' supporters.  It seems like you just can't wait to slag off the Manager and players of GTFC.  You really are pathetic!  
Posted by: friskneymariner, September 13, 2020, 11:21am; Reply: 158
Quoted from 123614
So, once again the usual suspects turn up and start slagging off the team after 1 League match.  Amazes me how many people think they know better than the manager who has many years of experience behind him.  Do they know what is going on behind the scenes.....no they don't.  

Just because your team won everything in Football Manager doesn't make you a football expert.  I just don't understand some of you 'so called' supporters.  It seems like you just can't wait to slag off the Manager and players of GTFC.  You really are pathetic!  

I think 58 years of watching Town non stop gives me a degree of insight ,What makes you the fountain of all knowledge.
Posted by: aldi_01, September 13, 2020, 11:40am; Reply: 159
I mean just because someone isn’t happy with the constant lack of progression or ambition off the field to drive the club forward doesn’t make one less of a supporter.

You could argue it makes them more of a supporter by having those aspirations for their club.

It’s funny how those quick to moan about those who like to question decisions made by the club can’t wait to let it be know they place themselves on a much higher pedestal than everyone else because don’t criticise the club.

Dress up yesterday all you like, first game, 10th game, last game, we weren’t good enough. Constantly saying we’re unfit isn’t really an excuse and before we know it we’ll be scrapping for bits down the bottom quarter of the league.

We keep being told some players aren’t ready for the first team yet, but what does that actually mean. Give us a reason as to why? If our president season was seemingly worse than others, why?

Interesting that sometimes people can’t differentiate between folk who question the club or the team.

Many of those who’d be deemed negative have actually praised elements of yesterday but we that won’t be noted, oh no. Easier to say ‘why do they bother’ or ‘are you really fan of all you do is moan’ than have a reasoned discussion.

You can be positive/critical about the team in its own right...the club on the other hand.

Whatever our excuses it’s impossible to argue with the fact we need to get up to speed sharpish else we’ll be cast aside, we’ve a week to work hard and get some of them lads up to fitness.

Holloway said our fitness coach was good...now is the time for them to prove that...
Posted by: Ipswin, September 13, 2020, 11:41am; Reply: 160
Quoted from devs

A 'flyer' would be amazing but I'll settle for an average start Worried though that if we fail to get many points in our first 8-10 games I just don't see us pulling it back, it will be too much to expect from this squad however fit they are and however 'bedded in' they become if they are strugging at the bottom from the word go..

We are at best going to be lower mid table this season and we might not come back from a bad start

As someone observed Holloway talks a good game
Posted by: devs, September 13, 2020, 12:21pm; Reply: 161
Quoted from friskneymariner

So you are quite happy to squander 24-30 points whilst we are up to speed then,those points could be very importan t at the end of the season.

Quite happy? Of course I am cos there's nothing I like more than GTFC not winning...pillock!

Just realistic - 'it is what it is' as they say

Let Holloway manage - he's got bags of experience - done it all before - seen it all before

It is obvious he is managing all three of the 'terms' - short term, mid term, long term

Short term - the fittest will start matches plus as many experienced players as poss
Mid term - this will be the case until squad all match fit
Long-term - youngsters and new non league signings will need a good season to get embedded

Christ knows what it will be like on here if we lose next week

Should we start 'Ollie out' thread now?

Posted by: KingstonMariner, September 13, 2020, 2:03pm; Reply: 162
Quoted from pen penfras
Wow, there's some real mood hoovers about. We weren't very good, but we weren't much worse than them.

On balance, the better team won. But they only made a couple more chances than we did, and had Green not been fouled several times when he turned their defender, he might have got a better shot away. We hit the post and just missed out on a draw.

Mckeown made a couple of good saves.
Hewitt did ok, put one or two lovely balls into the box, but Matt Green on his own against 3 defenders is a big ask.
Preston looks solid and has a decent left foot
Ohman was fantastic, my MOM
Idehen looked very good and coped well with a tricky forward. Had a couple of blips, but Pollock does every week and we rave about him.
Rose looks good but unfit.
Taylor was getting his foot in everywhere, helped out Hewitt really well. Has a good pass but plays it square a little often.
Williams had a couple of lovely touches and passes early on, but tired very quickly.
Edwards looked dangerous until he got frustrated and ended up getting in the way or trying to do too much.
Scannell looks like he'll be very good when he's got a few matches under his belt.
Green led the line well and battled well. He's not a target man but effort is fantastic and could have scored if he wasn't pulled back.

The Harrogate team we outplayed on Tuesday won 4-0.

I think there's enough positive signs to get behind the team. I don't expect we're going to challenge this season, but it's hard to know how good anybody is at this stage, particularly this season. Our late signings might actually help us get better players than we would usually be able to with the window closing soon and lots of players still unemployed. I certainly wouldn't have dreamt of getting Scannell

I pretty much agree with everything you wrote there PP. I think if we'd had the fitness it would have been a tough game to call. Obviously it begs the question why we have such a relatively unfit squad.
Posted by: promotion plaice, September 13, 2020, 2:20pm; Reply: 163
Quoted from KingstonMariner

I pretty much agree with everything you wrote there PP. I think if we'd had the fitness it would have been a tough game to call. Obviously it begs the question why we have such a relatively unfit squad.

Nooo......another PP on the fishy   ;D

Joking apart good to see you back on here Kingston  (thumbup)
Posted by: StaffsMariner, September 13, 2020, 2:23pm; Reply: 164
Walsall played at least 3 more friendlys than us.
Posted by: promotion plaice, September 13, 2020, 2:29pm; Reply: 165
Quoted from StaffsMariner
Walsall played at least 3 more friendlys than us.

I would imagine everyone played more friendlies than us, including Cleethorpes.

Posted by: friskneymariner, September 13, 2020, 3:22pm; Reply: 166
If I remember right the lad who noticed the King had no clothes on was ridiculed.
Posted by: Posh Harry, September 13, 2020, 5:04pm; Reply: 167
Quoted from aldi_01
But the time our excuse of needing 6-8 weeks to get up to speed runs it’s course we could be well cut adrift.

We can argue whether or not Walsall were much better than us until we’re blue isn’t he face, fact is, the beat us. They had one chance and scored and for the remaining half an hour of the game were pretty much in control...because they weren’t dead on their feet.

We’ve all had the same length of pre season so why are some teams seemingly much fitter.

I suppose some people aren’t bothered and perhaps when we’re in a relegation fight they still won’t be but in the cold light of day, regardless of the sheer lack of ambition by the board to progress, I can’t imagine anyone brought or thought about bringing holloway in to keep us up.

Like some have said, there were some positives, namely scannell looking lively, Green did a job until he was taken off, Tilley looked half decent when he came on but other than that it was pretty excrement.

A lot of teams came back before us, some by a week, some by 2 weeks. And every other team has had more friendlies than us, most have had many more. That’s why we’re behind on fitness.

Something has gone wrong in the planning or timing or both, but we are not on a level playing field compared with other sides. A world class fitness coach can’t magic a couple of weeks of work and a number of games out a hat.
Posted by: louth_in_the_south, September 13, 2020, 5:15pm; Reply: 168
There won’t be any relegation this year as at least 6 teams will go belly up I’m guessing.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, September 13, 2020, 8:02pm; Reply: 169

Nooo......another PP on the fishy   ;D

Joking apart good to see you back on here Kingston  (thumbup)

Cheers Original PP 😄
Posted by: Swansea_Mariner, September 13, 2020, 8:31pm; Reply: 170
Quoted from louth_in_the_south
There won’t be any relegation this year as at least 6 teams will go belly up I’m guessing.

I really hope we are not banking on this as it would be an absolute folly
Posted by: Swansea_Mariner, September 13, 2020, 8:32pm; Reply: 171
Quoted from louth_in_the_south

I really hope we are not banking on this as it would be an absolute folly
Posted by: 123614 (Guest), September 13, 2020, 8:40pm; Reply: 172
Quoted from friskneymariner

I think 58 years of watching Town non stop gives me a degree of insight ,What makes you the fountain of all knowledge.

If you check my posts, I don't think you will find many where I profess to be the 'fountain of all knowledge'.  As for your 58 years of watching Town, doesn't beat my 69 years does it?

Posted by: monkeyboy, September 13, 2020, 9:36pm; Reply: 173
1 game gone and it’s Armageddon ffs. Get a grip.
Players not played in six months, half been signed in last three weeks.

We lose 1-0 against a settled team that have all played together for a season before and it’s meltdown.

Seriously get a bloody grip.
Posted by: WesternMariner, September 13, 2020, 10:23pm; Reply: 174
Quoted from 123614

If you check my posts, I don't think you will find many where I profess to be the 'fountain of all knowledge'.  As for your 58 years of watching Town, doesn't beat my 69 years does it?

Touché. Come back from that one!
Posted by: rancido, September 13, 2020, 11:15pm; Reply: 175
Quoted from ginnywings

Been hearing that phrase for about 15 years. Yeah i know, we are re-building... ::)

But Ollie is rebuilding with us. Because of the pandemic he never had chance to fully assess his squad for the later part of last season. As such several players left who had to be replaced. The squad we have now will take time to gel and to fully understand the managers philosophy and what he expects of the players. This is particularly true for the non league players who have gone from part time to full training.
Posted by: ginnywings, September 14, 2020, 8:50am; Reply: 176
Quoted from rancido

But Ollie is rebuilding with us. Because of the pandemic he never had chance to fully assess his squad for the later part of last season. As such several players left who had to be replaced. The squad we have now will take time to gel and to fully understand the managers philosophy and what he expects of the players. This is particularly true for the non league players who have gone from part time to full training.

Which has been happening every season since what feels like forever. I'm not disputing the problems we have had and i fully understand. It's just that at the beginning of every season, someone says "be patient".

We've been nothing but patient as a set of fans, and still we haven't finished above mid table League 2 since Slade MK1. We've had more relegation battles than i care to remember, and 6 years in non league. I'd really like to see us have a season where we win more than we lose, and play a bit of decent footy along the way.
Posted by: Madeleymariner, September 14, 2020, 8:55am; Reply: 177
What Saturday showed was the penny pinching at the club. Walsall put out a team of experienced pros that were all at the club last season, we couldn't keep hold of anyone going out of contract except Wright and now have a team of kids/loanees and injury prone seniors. Out of Ollies hands to a degree but as others have said where are these hair back standup on players (not his description we were promised), hell can't even compete with Port Fale
Posted by: friskneymariner, September 14, 2020, 8:59am; Reply: 178
Quoted from 123614

Luke Chpt 4 v16-30
Posted by: carrot top, September 14, 2020, 12:39pm; Reply: 179
I will reserve judgment until the first 5 games have been completed. Will have a better idea on how we are shaping up by then
Posted by: fishcake63, September 14, 2020, 1:12pm; Reply: 180
nil poi
Posted by: Abdul19, September 14, 2020, 1:53pm; Reply: 181
Is that one of the things served at the Bescot?
Print page generated: April 16, 2024, 10:44pm