Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Non Football › Anti-racism protests
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 38 Guests

Anti-racism protests

This thread currently has 22,275 views. Print
30 Pages Prev ... 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 Next All Recommend Thread
Rick12
August 25, 2020, 8:51pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.14
Rep Score: +42 / -3
Approval: +255
Gold Stars: 45
Quoted from Sandford1981

However, I feel you are missing the point or choosing not to see it. The problem comes from the original post being largely nonsensical and a really clumsy way of highlighting a valid issue regarding the killing of an emergency worker in the line of duty. It seems you equate anyone wanting accountability for those breaking the law in service as being unappreciative or lacking in respect which  I don’t think is the case.
That a job is difficult is not a excuse for an unlawful killing of a civilian and having a traumatic upbringing won’t cut it as an excuse for the murder of a police officer.

Not at all.I know for one there are issues in the police that need addressing in  the USA and even here in the UK.But I feel things have improved .Admittedly more work can be done .Its like the army as well were there were acute problems with racism  but the military  have tried to weed  out . But in the case of Pc Harper there was a clear  lack of  initial justice for his killers which his wife appealed against as you maybe aware and things are now moving in the right direction .I think the initial post which that police person put up was genuine and it was his exasperation of how wrong things were even if it could have been like you say  better put.

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 230 - 290
ska face
August 25, 2020, 9:13pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,760
Gold Stars: 851
Regardless of what you and the psychopath who wrote that post think of them, the sentences given to the PC’s killers were based on sentencing guidelines and handed down by a judge.

George Floyd was murdered for the crime, not yet proven, of using a counterfeit $20 note.

That’s the difference.
Private Message
Reply: 231 - 290
aldi_01
August 26, 2020, 7:49am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.02
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
In the case of PC Harper justice was served, in consideration to the laws set out in this country. Simply because they didn’t get a lengthier sentence in his partners eyes does not equate to no justice.

Naturally now I suspect she will campaign for tougher sentences for crimes against police officers, like they’re more or less important than anyone else.

If people like that want to be the advent of change then perhaps they look at the wider spectrum and try and park their own emotions and opinions to one side? If that is too difficult or painful to do at this stage then perhaps it’s worth taking a step back because passion and anger will cloud any possibility of change.

As a football fan we are often persecuted for nothing more than following a certain team...now multiply that by a gajillion and then you understand the persecution and resentment felt by BAME, young people, those from marginalised areas of society and so forth.

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 232 - 290
Ipswin
August 26, 2020, 9:25am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +44 / -47
Approval: -3,552
Gold Stars: 89
Quoted from headingly_mariner

Can you also not use “Gyppo” please

Don't tell me, you prefer the word 'traveller'

Shame the only travelling they were interested in doing was on a stolen quad bike

Mind you on reflection it is perhaps an insult to genuine Gypsy folk to include that scum

On bended knee is no way to be free - Peter R de Vries

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse.....=public_profile_post
Private Message
Reply: 233 - 290
headingly_mariner
August 26, 2020, 10:08am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,394
Gold Stars: 120
Quoted from Ipswin

Don't tell me, you prefer the word 'traveller'

Shame the only travelling they were interested in doing was on a stolen quad bike

Mind you on reflection it is perhaps an insult to genuine Gypsy folk to include that scum

I do think it’s much better than “Gypo“ although I’m not sure what their ethnicity has to do with the crime.

I certainly agree that it’s an awful crime and those involved are complete twits.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 234 - 290
Rick12
August 26, 2020, 10:47am
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from aldi_01
In the case of PC Harper justice was served, in consideration to the laws set out in this country. Simply because they didn’t get a lengthier sentence in his partners eyes does not equate to no justice.

Naturally now I suspect she will campaign for tougher sentences for crimes against police officers, like they’re more or less important than anyone else.

If people like that want to be the advent of change then perhaps they look at the wider spectrum and try and park their own emotions and opinions to one side? If that is too difficult or painful to do at this stage then perhaps it’s worth taking a step back because passion and anger will cloud any possibility of change.

As a football fan we are often persecuted for nothing more than following a certain team...now multiply that by a gajillion and then you understand the persecution and resentment felt by BAME, young people, those from marginalised areas of society and so forth.
Yes some good points .Ive been stopped a fair few times in my youth in London and abroad .(Probably because at the time I had a crew cut and was angry about stuff going on in my personal life which police misconstrued for something else eg I looked like a criminal ) .It does annoy you when you get stopped and you have done nothing wrong  but in fairness to the police some are very good and explain why I was stopped  in a understanding manner which pacified me.

It works both ways to get respect you have to give it .

Heard on the news today that Pc Harper's wife is meeting Priti Patel the home secretary over aiming to make it a life sentence for anyone killing not just police but any emergency worker.I think its the right thing to do.

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 235 - 290
codcheeky
August 26, 2020, 12:04pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.38
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +1,252
Gold Stars: 31
Quoted from Rick12
Yes some good points .Ive been stopped a fair few times in my youth in London and abroad .(Probably because at the time I had a crew cut and was angry about stuff going on in my personal life which police misconstrued for something else eg I looked like a criminal ) .It does annoy you when you get stopped and you have done nothing wrong  but in fairness to the police some are very good and explain why I was stopped  in a understanding manner which pacified me.

It works both ways to get respect you have to give it .

Heard on the news today that Pc Harper's wife is meeting Priti Patel the home secretary over aiming to make it a life sentence for anyone killing not just police but any emergency worker.I think its the right thing to do.

If the thieves who did this had been convicted of murder they would have received a life sentence, the fact is that they were tried in a court of law and found guilty of manslaughter and sentenced accordingly. Perhaps you are more interested in revenge rather than justice
Whether that was the right verdict is a moot point, the Judge has all the facts, has heard the case and followed  set out guidelines according to the law. How you are relating any of this to black people being killed by policemen and facing no consequences is a mystery to me.
Private Message
Reply: 236 - 290
ska face
August 26, 2020, 1:27pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,760
Gold Stars: 851
So last night a member of an armed militia, which have been working with the police, blew one protestor’s head off, nearly blew the arm off another protestor and then shot another person in the stomach killing him.

This is what people are facing when they ask not to be summarily executed by public servants.
Private Message
Reply: 237 - 290
Rick12
August 26, 2020, 2:39pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from codcheeky

Perhaps you are more interested in revenge rather than justice
Whether that was the right verdict is a moot point, the Judge has all the facts, has heard the case and followed  set out guidelines according to the law. How you are relating any of this to black people being killed by policemen and facing no consequences is a mystery to me.

Theres a element of revenge there yes but police like the army put themselves in the lion den.In effect there dealing mostly with lawbreakers and with hindsight they have to be protected more so than the typical person on the street. Likewise with the army.Some who have been ex servicemen dont want their children going into that profession for fear of being maimed or killed and the psychological scars that often follow.

The nature of law enforcement is vital to our society though and I have a lot of respect as noted for most army/police.A example of this if your not already aware was in the late 1960s police went on strike in Canada:

By 11:20 am, the first bank was robbed. By noon, most of the downtown stores were closed because of looting. Within a few more hours, taxi drivers burned down the garage of a limousine service that competed with them for airport customers, a rooftop sniper killed a provincial police officer, rioters broke into several hotels and restaurants, and a doctor slew a burglar in his suburban home. By the end of the day, six banks had been robbed, a hundred shops had been looted, twelve fires had been set, forty carloads of storefront glass had been broken, and three million dollars in property damage had been inflicted, before city authorities had to call in the army and of course, the police  to restore order.

In reference to your last point Its all linked in Codcheeky.Hence  a lot of black people have been marginalised/oppressed in history due to various reasons which makes some more prone to commit crime. Police have a difficult job of distinguishing who is in the right or the wrong and yes stereotyping does happen as it did to me and police like in any walk of life will get things wrong.But I sympathise with them as its a tough position to be in.Constantly having to make the right call in often pressurised situations.Like the army as well.

The only way round it is I feel to constantly seek to improve recruitment techniques and get the right people into the police.Hence those with a good conscience and a clear desire to want to better serve community's fairly.

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 238 - 290
grimsby pete
August 26, 2020, 6:33pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.80
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,830
Gold Stars: 222
A life is a life and nobodies life is more important than another.

If dragging of a police officer for over a mile is manslaughter then I am a dutchman.

They knew he was there being tossed from one side of the road to the other.

The system needs a serious looking at to what consist of manslaughter or murder.

That means not just the killing of police but any citizen.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 239 - 290
30 Pages Prev ... 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Non Football › Anti-racism protests

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.