Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Non Football › Anti-racism protests
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 33 Guests

Anti-racism protests

This thread currently has 22,274 views. Print
30 Pages Prev ... 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 Next All Recommend Thread
Rick12
August 25, 2020, 4:10pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.14
Rep Score: +42 / -3
Approval: +255
Gold Stars: 45
Quoted from headingly_mariner

There’s a lot of whataboutery going on. I’m not sure the big takeaway from the protests is that we need to feel sorry for and support police officers more. The police in America are hugely supported, have a mega strong union and generally the support of the public and politicians. They do keep killing unarmed black people at a disproportionate rate to White people. It’s a huge problem and one that people are rightly angry about.
Whether it is borne from America’s inequality or racism within the police force, it’s not right.

Probably a combination of the two though I would assume more the former.I still feel the majority of police officers in the USA do a decent job.

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 220 - 290
Rick12
August 25, 2020, 4:26pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from ska face
Perfect example - that garbage post is conflating the murder of George Floyd with the murder of PC Harper. The two situations are completely different, in no way analogous, but that post tries to draw comparisons between the two situations and insinuate that anyone supporting the former doesn’t care about the latter. And you claimed it summed up the situation perfectly?

The problem is that police in America are given so much support that they appear to be able to kill and maim with almost absolute impunity. The post stated that the officer was arrested immediately - WRONG. The police that murdered Breona Taylor still haven’t been arrested. What about the actions of the police during the recent protests? You can support the uniformed services without giving them a free ride whenever they step out of line.
What garbage post are you on about? I think you need to see the light a bit more and clear your head again as you seem a bit confused .Police done wrong against George Floyd and got rightly tried.People killed a UK policeman and got let of initially lightly .All this is about is trying to get justice.Yes your right in the later part of your post justice still needs to be served for certain cases involving police in the USA.

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 221 - 290
ska face
August 25, 2020, 4:51pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,760
Gold Stars: 851
Rightly tried? They’re still going through the charging process ffs. They might get off with it yet, like many have.
Private Message
Reply: 222 - 290
Rick12
August 25, 2020, 4:52pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from ska face
Rightly tried? They’re still going through the charging process ffs. They might get off with it yet, like many have.
I hope justice prevails .

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 223 - 290
ska face
August 25, 2020, 4:56pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,760
Gold Stars: 851
Very noble of you. Justice for the “career criminal”, as you described him about 2 pages back.
Private Message
Reply: 224 - 290
Ipswin
August 25, 2020, 4:58pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +44 / -47
Approval: -3,552
Gold Stars: 89
Quoted from headingly_mariner

Thankfully the police don’t have guns over here and police accountability is better.

Shame, if they had the officer killed by the gyppo twits might have had a chance if he'd taken a couple of them out first

Perhaps there might have been a greater public outrage if the murdered officer had been black?

On bended knee is no way to be free - Peter R de Vries

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse.....=public_profile_post
Private Message
Reply: 225 - 290
Sandford1981
August 25, 2020, 5:00pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.97
Rep Score: +11 / 0
Approval: +2,085
Gold Stars: 59
Quoted from Rick12
What garbage post are you on about? I think you need to see the light a bit more and clear your head again as you seem a bit confused.

I think Ska is referring to the original post you read and then added to this thread this morning, but if that’s the case I don’t think he’s confused-he’s called it 100% correctly. It was what I was getting at In my reply only less eloquently.

I think the point around justice for pc Harper is a good one as I said, but the way you’ve used that post as supporting context is really strange and muddled for me.

“I know writers who use subtext and they’re all cowards.” –Garth Marenghi
Private Message
Reply: 226 - 290
Rick12
August 25, 2020, 5:15pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from ska face
Very noble of you. Justice for the “career criminal”, as you described him about 2 pages back.
I didnt say the career criminal the post did   but George Floyd did have previous criminal convictions. This is facts . Noone deserved to die like that under police custody and I have some respect for Floyd as in later years tried to turn his life around with the help of the church.

Quoted from Sandford1981

I think Ska is referring to the original post you read and then added to this thread this morning, but if that’s the case I don’t think he’s confused-he’s called it 100% correctly. It was what I was getting at In my reply only less eloquently.

I think the point around justice for pc Harper is a good one as I said, but the way you’ve used that post as supporting context is really strange and muddled for me.
No Sandford he is a bit confused . Theres people who I know who have been in the services eg army and police and so I have a degree of respect for what they have gone through and hence stand up for them.Likewise I have known people on the other side of the line through my previous job with youth offending and can see their side of the fence as well.

With enough love and support and with the right people in place in government and the police things will change for the better.Similar goes for the army who try to change things for the better when they serve our people and others.

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 227 - 290
Sandford1981
August 25, 2020, 7:03pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.97
Rep Score: +11 / 0
Approval: +2,085
Gold Stars: 59
Quoted from Rick12

No Sandford he is a bit confused . Theres people who I know who have been in the services eg army and police and so I have a degree of respect for what they have gone through and hence stand up for them.Likewise I have known people on the other side of the line through my previous job with youth offending and can see their side of the fence as well.

I have worked with troubled youngsters and their families as has my partner who has also been in the police.I also have friends and familiy who have served in the armed forces and a friend currently in the police.
I am fully aware of the difficult nature of those jobs as well as being acutely aware first hand of the Issues that contribute to young men becoming embroiled in criminality. So I too feel I’m pretty well placed to understand both sides of the fence as you put it.
However, I feel you are missing the point or choosing not to see it. The problem comes from the original post being largely nonsensical and a really clumsy way of highlighting a valid issue regarding the killing of an emergency worker in the line of duty. It seems you equate anyone wanting accountability for those breaking the law in service as being unappreciative or lacking in respect which  I don’t think is the case.
That a job is difficult is not a excuse for an unlawful killing of a civilian and having a traumatic upbringing won’t cut it as an excuse for the murder of a police officer.

“I know writers who use subtext and they’re all cowards.” –Garth Marenghi
Private Message
Reply: 228 - 290
headingly_mariner
August 25, 2020, 8:08pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,394
Gold Stars: 120
Quoted from Ipswin

Shame, if they had the officer killed by the gyppo twits might have had a chance if he'd taken a couple of them out first

Perhaps there might have been a greater public outrage if the murdered officer had been black?

Find me someone who doesn’t think it’s an outrage that poor officer was killed. It’s been front page news for ages and there is a national campaign to have mandatory life sentences for anyone who kills a police officer.

Can you also not use “Gyppo” please
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 229 - 290
30 Pages Prev ... 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Non Football › Anti-racism protests

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.